(neo)vim

I've decided to try to switch to vim, how should I proceed?

Should I use Vim or Neovim? What's the difference anyway?
Should I use plugin managers/packs? If so, which?

I've been using spacemacs for a couple of years now and I'm already pretty comfortable with the vim keybindings as a result. I know space-vim and SpaceVim exist, should I just install one of them?

Attached: 1 1K8ftQtP9MSfz8iJyCTMxQ.png (2000x1123, 906K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mislav.net/2011/12/vim-revisited/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

install vim. open command line type vimtutor, press enter, follow instructions.

neovim is just vim but with all the options you would have wanted to enable enabled by default

Helpful plugin/bundles:
nerdcommenter
tagbar
vim-autoclose
vim-multiple-cursors
vim-sensible
nerdtree
vim-misc
vim-notes
vim-template

i'm not op but also want to learn, been using emacs and just okay with it but really curious with vim/neovim i'm also bit familiar with vi because it's preinstalled

Should I install them manually or should I use a packet manager?

>packet manager

Attached: image.jpg (543x443, 52K)

bump

Attached: pp,550x550.u4.jpg (458x550, 29K)

The best advice you'll here: use vimplug as a package manager. I have used most of the others, and it literally shits all over them.

This desu

Also second best advice you'll hear: don't install too many plugins. Vim has the features of most plugins already built-in. Good example is nerdtree, it's completely unnecessary.

None amongst them. Use what already just werks.

If you need an IDE, don't make a init.vim yourself. Just use SpaceVim, or use OmiVim (be warned, still hangs a bit often

Even when it doesn't hang, OniVim is so lacking in features it seriously cannot be considered an "IDE"

It takes your init.vim. so customize that to add features. Stuff like F5 to compile, you can do in vim

Don't use plugins when you start, OP.
Follow this:
mislav.net/2011/12/vim-revisited/

When you're comfortable using all major features, put in 3/4 plugins at time and make sure you know what they do.

Tim Pope has fantastic plugins

>uses spacemacs
>wants to switch to a worse version of spacemacs
Explain

The software equivalent of a middle-school girl's trapper keeper

I used to use vim for about 5 years, now I'm in love with Emacs, please explain, as the previous poster said

I use Vim 8 without any plugins. The most customization I do is adding extra Racket support, but I've just been using DrRacket for that anyway.