Librem 5 - Yes/no?

Alright Jow Forums, let's hear your armchair thoughts and rage from below, is this phone going to be worth it?
We all want a privacy-focused device in todays '"always watching" world, but how practical is this desire?

Attached: librem5.png (1024x576, 260K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4SwE9W8JasA
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/gm45_remove_me.html
wikileaks.org/google-is-not-what-it-seems/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't care how practical it is. I am gonna buy it because fuck google and apple too. I am sick of shitty phones that can't do anything besides advertise and steal data.

No. Its going to be shit and will bomb. Just get a regular phone and set things up without google or use a firewall or just use a dumbphone. This is just a net loss and does nothing that you can do in a cheaper manner other than satisfying some fatass's standards of what 'free' means.

Fuck you shill. I am gonna buy one and so will millions of others that sick of the bullshit you enjoy so much. Go suck corporate cock somewhere else. The phone will sell just fine even if only to the niche consumer base its clearly aiming for.

Lmao go fuck yourself freetard
>millions others
Rofl

Kind of hypoctical you know. I am not the one here trying to shill for a shitty phone. Also millions? Lmfao. This shit won't even be likely completed by the time modern technology moves onwards from phones.

Lol, what a fucking retard.

Just get a dumbphone which can 4g and become a wifi hotspot, like the new nokia 3310. Use an UMPC with that.

>millions
Jesus Christ.

>imaginary product that is still nearly a year away and will still be botnet as long as the baseband processor is active

samefag

>baseband processor
just disable it when u dont need it

I will wait for the reviews, since there are a lot of trade offs on the hardware side and no one knows how good the software will be. Will it be possible to use an extern display, something similar to MaruOs or Samsung Dex?

>user we've been trying to call you all afternoon, it keeps going to voicemail
yeah ok, that defeats the purpose of having a phone if it's disabled all day, just do what suggested

You're an idiot who don't understand why people would need a phone like this in the first place. Just go back to plebbit.

I backed the phone and I even saw the prototype in person. I don't think it will be that great of a phone, but it is a start.

Tangentially related, is sailfish still alive?

Pretty much this, unfortunately. All phones abuse privacy, by design. There is no way around this. It's exactly why rms refuses to own a cell phone of any kind, including this upcoming librem phone meme. The best phone is the one you don't own, and if you have to have one (like most people) then just don't keep anything personally identifiable on it and only use it for calls/text. A librem 5 offers no advantage in terms of privacy for regular calls/texts than an android/iphone. They will all be recorded/logged by the cell carrier and then the 3 letter agencies on top of that, period. All this librem 5 is is basically paying almost $1,000 for an outdated tablet that runs gnu/linux and still won't protect your privacy (if anything it will make you more of a target).

>t. botnet shills
Why so scared botnet corporations of truly open source phone?

dude I literally do all my computing on a librebooted thinkpad. but I have enough sense to know that no phone is going to be free/libre, it's like saying you're going to draw a square circle, it's not possible

Battery life will be shit

Android does very agressive background optimization for a reason

Attached: 1525352937927.jpg (1024x404, 46K)

Fuck off shill. Have you even read anything about the phone?
Librem 5 has the baseband separated from the main CPU. While admittedly not perfect, this is a huge step forward compared to other phones. It may have the ability to send regular texts, but it’s main communication option will be the end-to-end encrypted Matrix protocol.

It doesn’t have to be absolutely perfect. If you wanted absolutely perfect computer security, you would destroy all your devices and live innawoods, because TECNICALLY someone could crack your encryption and therefore we should just give up. /s

>years behind in design
>meme OS
just get a Pixel with LineageOS, the authorities will track you either way

>Fuck off shill. Have you even read anything about the phone?
Yes I have, that's why I know it's absolute garbage that is overpriced and overhyped that doesn't solve the problem that it claims to address. "muh killswitch" does not magically make it into a cellular device that respects your freedom.

It is also a huge win for customization and freedom of our device usage. With android, you’re at the mercy of the manufacturer as to whether there’s a way to root it. And even then, there’s no guarantee of being able to install a custom ROM. This is not how computers should be. A Librem allows the user to freely install any distro that supports ARM, just as easily as you would on your desktop.

>Yes I have
Ok, now did you read past the first sentence of my post? Or are you intentionally ignoring it?

Separating the botnet from the CPU doesn't it make it more free. That just makes you autistic. There is no such thing as a libre phone and there never will be.

It actually does, because it ensures that the proprietary baseband can’t fuck with the libre code running on the main processor. It’s a lot like running a closed source program in a sandbox on your PC. It is a proprietary program that’s running, but sandboxing it away makes it so it can’t access things in ways it shouldn’t be able to to perform its function.

>it ensures that the proprietary baseband can’t fuck with the libre code running on the main processor
You have no way of knowing what it will be doing since a baseband processor will be running proprietary firmware and code that can't be audited

>You have no way of knowing what it will be doing
Which is why you fucking isolate it.
Ya know what? Fuck it. You’re too dense for me or anything to get through to you. I’ll just leave this here.
youtube.com/watch?v=4SwE9W8JasA

Ok then, enjoy not putting money towards progress in mobile privacy and freedom, this not voting with your wallet, so nothing will ever improve. And on top of that, why not refuse to buy their laptops or a Talos II? I’m sure there’s an infinite supply of used X200s and D16s that will absolutely never dry up!

>Which is why you fucking isolate it.
herp derp, I've got this big load of closed source firmware in my device with its own processor that is sending my data and location to the cell networks for all the 3 letter agencies to see, but it's ok because it's got a killswitch so I only get raped part of the time :^)

>why not refuse to buy their laptops
Their laptops are overpriced and still have parts of the ME active and firmware blobs in the BIOS, the only free/libre laptops are ones with libreboot (hence why rms uses a T400).

>a Talos II
I like it but I don't have 3 grand to drop on a desktop

>I’m sure there’s an infinite supply of used X200s and D16s that will absolutely never dry up!
They won't, there will always be parts. Have you been to Cuba? They have cars from the 1950's still running.

I’m not talking about the killswitch meme. I’m talking about the way it is on the board.
Go watch the YouTube video

But we don’t exactly have computers from the 50s still running

The point is if you're resourceful you can make anything last.

Phones are inherently botnet. This meme won't help your case. Just stop using them if you don't want to be tracked. Use the phone of some one next to you or use a nearby call booth and just keep a very basic dumbphone thats pretty old in your side thats always off unless in case of emergency if you absolutely(maybe get a sim card from the black market or use the help of your distant/dead relative in case you are too scared to give info to them joos).

based and redpilled

Nah

librebooted laptop still have intel ME u know

Not X60

False. Please educate yourself before posting statements.
libreboot.org/docs/hardware/gm45_remove_me.html

>It runs YunOS, a fork of AOSP (Android)

Attached: images.png (150x150, 3K)

well I can't put your old laptop in my pocket anyway

this phone is good if you dont care about NSA but still doesnt want to be cucked by Apple/Google. The switch are a plus.

Look, my livestyle is pretty simple. I have a fliphone that is almost permanently off, i communicate only with sms that i encrypt on my laptop. I also own a librebooted thinkpad t60 running only free software. Both of them are never connected to the internet. I usually communicate with Jow Forums from my local library because i like to debate tech on Jow Forums and i get news and tips there. I usually check back to my comments in a few hours. AMA

I'm not paying a 1000 burgers for an outdated tablet with shitty battery life and no apps

Im indeed not enough educate in this but if the ME can be removed can it be reinstalled if someone steal your laptop?

>Being this dumb
It literally does all the things you need, including local movies and text editing. No webapps and games though. Do you have adhd that you can't wait 5 seconds?

better paying 1000 burger than letting google sell your stealed personal data

>always off unless in case of emergency
You don't get it, this is the point of a killswitch, you can turn the radios off completely unless you need them.

Without the radios a smartphone is potentially a generally useful handheld computer that runs GNU/Linux or BSD or whatever. However I still won't be buying the product in OP because I guarantee there will be more nonfree firmware in there than any libreboot user would be comfortable with. But this is the same situation as you would get on a dumbphone anyway.

Yeah, I'm sure Jamal would love to steal my old thinkpad so he could use his raspi to reflash the original Lenovo BIOS back onto it. user how severe is your case of autism?

>Paying more than $50 for a phone
>Keeping anything personally identifiable on a phone

>paying 50$ for a tracker

Good thing I don't have it associated with my name and keep it off most of the time (just like muh killswitch meme)

owning a librebooted thinkpad is autism so why stop it there ?
if the fbi can steal your laptop while you sleep and reinstall their botnet therefore its as useless as owning an librem right ?

full security is a goal not an achievement

>implying google cant know who u are just by regrouping your metadata

>if the fbi can steal your laptop while you sleep and reinstall their botnet therefore its as useless as owning an librem right ?
how, oh wise one, is the FBI going to steal my thinkpad and reflash it? if you want autism look in a fucking mirror

With what metadata are they going to regroup if I don't use any google services or accounts that can be tied back to me?

they can find your job/hobbies with your gps data
then any of your friend/coworker who use google can lead up to you

then by that logic they can do the same to the memebrem 5

they can if they have access to the data

google isnt the nsa they will not have access to these data unless you use their shit

Useless phone.
Will be bought only by paranoid neckbeards that won't talk to anyone.
No need for all of this privacy

I don't see the point, since connecting to a cellular network is basically bugging yourself.

>google isnt the nsa they will not have access to these data unless you use their shit
yeah, there's no data sharing b/w google and the nsa

Attached: Prism_slide_5.jpg (700x525, 86K)

google give data to the nsa

I dont know why the nsa would give data to google tho

because Google is basically a wing of the US State Dept.
wikileaks.org/google-is-not-what-it-seems/

Why not?

Because the memebrem 5 shills need to stop spamming Jow Forums every day with their shitty, overpriced phone

>a systemd based phone maintained by gnome shills

Attached: 1534679339506.png (933x720, 587K)

Literally no support. It is supported only by pajeets

yeah better have applechill thread and NVIDIA thread