What does it mean "to know linux"

I use linux to do my web development work and deploy to linux environments. I know "ls" and "cd" to navigate and inspect. I am now interviewing for a position as a devop engineer, which requires "knowing linux".

What should I know? What is expected of me if I am going for a DevOps position?

Attached: 02f.jpg (655x527, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils.html
linux.die.net/man/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

cd ls is p solid stuff

hello karlie

Attached: hellokarlie.png (1357x1281, 1.49M)

Read this gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils.html
Install gentoo (or LFS).

And set up a LEMP stack.

Learn docker

harddrive defragment software designers hate that one can easily defragment harddrive without expensive software by just typing
>rm -rf /
in console as admin user

most places use the term "to know linux" in the biblical sense. Like how a man would know his wife by laying with her.

Take a fucking lpi exam or something you millennial nut fuck retard

Attached: 1534799827648.jpg (717x959, 41K)

I am actually know docker. Is that enough?

I'm not an idiot fuckface.

lol no

Know the FHS aka where are the log files and binaries and how to restart services and do basic debugging. Which again means where to find logfiles. Being able to google and read manpages. Maybe know that iptables, ip, top / htop, strace exists and when to use it. Knowing linux is basically knowing which commands you need. How to use them is written in the manpages.

explain this docker meme

These man pages linux.die.net/man/ ?

open terminal and run man to see manual for commands

"whats the path for the user passwords file?"

my litmust test of linux knowledge is if you can use lex and yacc for really simple things. but tbqh some of the senior "linux" people i worked with didn't even know bash.

proprietary shitware that they are now monetizing

Docker is basically a system that runs on linux and helps you bundle together you applications and run them in containers. Think of containers as mini VMs. With additional configuration you can easily orchestrate networking between your containers as well. The biggest selling point for Docker is consistency. Your application will always perform the same way across all machines, as long as your machine can run Docker.

It's actually pretty cool. I'd say next time you are building an application, try using Docker. I didn't quite understand it until I used it.

Attached: docker.png (269x201, 11K)

Like BSD Jails but more bloated.

>Docker is basically a system that runs on linux
>RUNS ON LINUX

it runs on multiple systems, silly.

>Think of containers as mini VMs
>Docker is basically a system that runs on linux
Confirmed for dumb kid in uni who just uses docker for his htpc and not understanding how docker works.

>my litmust test of linux knowledge is if you can use lex and yacc for really simple things
Do you use these regularly? What do you use them for? The only reason I recognize them by name is that I've compiled software that requires them as a dependency. I only do a little C/C++ programming and bash scripting as a hobby. Basically I'm wondering if there's a reason for me to learn this.

Both of you are low IQ, sad

sudo rm - rf / is absolutely safe you morons

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: grand_theft_gentoo.jpg (1920x1080, 145K)

>lpi exam
LPIC I user here. This is easy as fuck if you use linux as your daily driver.

why not just
cat /dev/zero > /dev/sda

I've got a command that will make them hire you in a second and it's dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1

sudo apt get rm -rf install | clip

there, you know shitnux

Just tried this, but now I'm just getting an error...? Did I do something wrong?

> cd code
gets me every time

>overwriting the first 512 bytes
Thats only the partitition table right? You should be able to recreate it as long as you don't reboot.

b-but I have a code folder too

Neither knowing how to use the shell, nor any other userland program will teach you anything about Linux.

Linux is the magic behind all of those that makes it all work, it's not those programs.
The userland is GNU. Linux is the kernel.

Plz update to rm -rf /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

using the command line, do a recursive search of ~ to find any text file that contains a sequence of at least 5 numbers and was modified in the last month, each line of output should have the path of the file relative to ~, the line number where the numbers were found, each instance of 5+ numbers on that line, and the sum of those numbers, like so:
relative/path/without/leading/~;line#;11111+222222+00033;233366
and the output must be sorted numerically in descending order by the sum. do this on the command line using one pipeline.

build a package for your distro of choice, without using any automated tools that come with the distro. do this for a distro that uses a different package format.

install gentoo.

thats too verbose you piece of shit
it's
sudo npm install -g linux
sudo npm install -g superpc
sudo superpc | clip

there you go, your linux machine is now running the latest software and has been explicitly calibrated to maximize hardware potential

>folder
user what the fuck

it overwrites it entirely with a blocksize of 512

WTF!!! I JUST BROKE MY DADS WORK LAPTOP

No.
Docker for Mac and Docker for Windows both use the operating systems' native virtualization (Hypervisor Framework / Hyper-V) to run a Linux VM in the background and that then runs your images.
Aside from the obvious issues (reduced performance due to overhead, RAM use), I/O performance goes to shit. Especially when you use mounts.
On a native linux host, mounts are fast as fuck, using the overlayFS filesystem.
On MacOS and Windows, performance killing workarounds are used, like using SMB.

TL;DR: Docker really only is native on Linux. Everything else is designed to make you want to give up and install Linux for developing your containers.

Beat the ssh part of overthewire at least. Also fuck google engineers for thinking that slow fade is a good idea.

I was unironically posting that, rm -rf / is old and useless, rm -rf efivars will brick your motherboard if you use systemd.

Attached: 497efbe49aedad383c9245c90ee31bfeb9b4f759.png (846x720, 368K)

You can recreate the partitition table with the exact same block sizes (still available in proc or sys) and it will work.

cd
cd
cd code
ls
cd
cd

very high IQ, thanks for serving this idiot