I was lied to

>Start visiting Jow Forums regularly
>See a lot of talk about how people should switch to linux.
>Decide to try it
>Was told my laptop's battery would last more as linux uses less resources
>mfw it turned my laptop into a toaster that only lasts 1h on battery.

I feel cheated Jow Forums

Attached: thebigOof.jpg (1300x971, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linrunner.de/en/tlp/tlp.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Linux is a kernel.

If you used Unbuntu my pc had some trouble figuring out how to throttle itself so I just left it on for a while and it figured it out.

Shit does it really work that way?

Am using Mint, but my pc reads it as ubuntu, I'm asuming its a variant of some sort.

mint gets its packages from both debian and ubuntu. It's kinda inconsistent and I would recommend using something else instead.

I have tried two other options, Manjaro's installer crashed every single time, Antergos crashed mid installation always at exactly the same point.

What else should I try?

It's well known that drivers written to support a trillion different pieces of hardware cannot be that efficient. Mine for example has both an integrated low consumption and dedicated high consumption GPU that can be hot swapped in windows however linex just blast the high sucker to 11 regardless.

It honestly seemed like it, for the first few nights it would slam the fans hard and back off and would just cycle like that, I powered through it and it just got better at managing itself with no input from me.

sounds like the exact opposite of mine.
I don't think I've heard my fans spin up even once, which is worrying.

i would try the powertop tool and also install any laptop support package in the distro

Well this was with Kubuntu on a custom built. Who knows what really caused it. I sure don't.

Fedora with Cinnamon desktop.

Just use the arch live iso and manually install it. The arch wiki has a simple installation guide, it's a lot easier to install than it seems. The one thing I would do is create the partitions beforehand in a gui like gparted since n00bs are likely to fuck up if they use the command line for partitioning.

do you have a dedicated gpu and forget to install bumblebee?

I had nothing better to do, so I made this.

Attached: persona!.png (890x1264, 2.09M)

Attached: 1520315962025.png (362x223, 90K)

>Was told my laptop's battery would last more as linux uses less resources

Man, they took you for a fool. If there's one thing most linux distros fuck up at is battery life on laptops.

I hope you didn't forget to install a power management tool.
linrunner.de/en/tlp/tlp.html

Gentoo

Not true. Only if you have a discrete gpu

How to use computers:

Email server that has to work without anyone messing with it.
>Linux

I like games and bleeding performance.
>Windows

I want it to just work but I still want to play with it.
>Mac

kek you got off easy, i tried the same thing...
>internet will stop working and requires reconnection every 15 minutes
>battery lasts about an hour
>laptop is no longer able to recognize when its closed and keeps running
>can no longer connect to any projector / external display
>unable to fullscreen videos or the entire machine freezes

I could probably list 2 dozen more problems ive had, and the hours ive spent trying to fix them
Linux is a pile of steaming horseshit, and anyone who says otherwise is a contrarian memer.