/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a build guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (eg photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 series are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap models ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS duals, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: 2080ti 34fps at 1080p.jpg (1641x1079, 510K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/
pcpartpicker.com/list/xBr929
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/windows-10-x64-triple-monitor-setup-issues/cbe05aee-e9a7-4805-9cb6-85f7e6f36c8c
superuser.com/questions/947819/multiple-monitors-broken-with-windows-10-upgrade
pcpartpicker.com/list/8TkH7W
pcpartpicker.com/user/Hipocrates1780/saved/NNwcYJ
dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/PRIME-X470-PRO-memory-QVL-for-Ryzen2nd--Generation-process.pdf?_ga=2.21402813.701001422.1534884957-1728495086.1529775018
pcpartpicker.com/user/Hipocrates1780/saved/4yj8K8
pcpartpicker.com/list/gHDrRJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks. I'll see if I can find some deals although that Zotac card someone posted last thread seemed tempting.

pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

when to buy a 1080ti?

The run down on RTX announcement and launch as people are going to ask:
As I predicted, they'd launch them on tech demos alone because the performance in apples to apples comparisons won't be flattering for the price they're asking.
There is at least one good real world feature, which is their new "AI" anti-aliasing, but at 4K you don't really need any aliasing or jsut light antialiasing.
All comparisons they showed were apples to orangutans. It's snakeoil and marketing.
There's likely not going to be actual benchmarks until AFTER release, except maybe in some "RTX on" games.
Huangs manipualtive
>2070 is faster than the $1200 Titan Xp
is in regards to RAYTRACING.
In current games, these new graphics cards, for their price segment, are likely to be worse than what you can currently get for that price unless the game supports async compute, which almost no games do. That's why they're not showing benchmarks.

And by the time proper ray tracing does catch on in games, these cards will surely be obsolete.
It's also like I predicted, that after this reveal, it's still going to be time to wait for 7nm if you want a proper leap in GPU performance.

1080Ti prices have dropped to a level (around $620) that they're actually pretty good performance for the money, if you don't consider the monitor cost for a good Gsync IPS.

Price drops on Vega 56, RX580, 1060, 1050Ti, etc, aren't expected to come since these new cards are the first time we've had a new launch that appears to be worse performance for the money.
Since they aren't better performance for the money, they aren't driving the stack of GPUs beneath them down in price further.
All current indications are that 2060/2050 likely won't launch until 7nm comes, similar to how the 1050/Ti launch on 14nm was months later than the others on 16nm.

tl;dr: Apple-tier conference with leather jacket man taking the role as a snakeoil salesman

Now if you get a good deal and can afford the monitor?

when the price is acceptable for U

he wants this build ASAP, I already tried to get him to wait for prices to come down on graphics cards but he refuses to wait.

any recommendations for ram?

>I know, I just want to make the best build I can for my friend, I wouldnt sped this much on a build, I love my ryzen 2600x/ rx 580 build.
That's pretty much the best you can do for the lad. He literally won't beable to complain
Think you forgot thermal paste though. Just throw it in
backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/
This is 3 years old now so I really shouldn't instill this fear but here it is.
3tb had some really shit failure rates but I think its all fixed up.
You should try hgst instead. They make the best HDD. Like 0.2% failure rate. No jokes

I'm moving September 27th so I want to build early October after I get settled. Unfortunately if I bought now, i'd get no use out of it for a month, but prices are good enough and I can afford $500 or $600 on a monitor.

why arent the i5 8400/8600/k not recommended annymore?

>cards will be obsolete by the time ray-tracing is a thing
This 100%. Honestly these things aren't worth it and tech reviewers everywhere are saying the same. I wonder if this'll actually be for the first time in history people won't fall for nvidia marketing cause this is so blatantly a cash grab
I say 5 years till ray tracing becomes a gaming thing.
And a decade till there is mid-ranged cards that can actually handle it in gaming.
I genuinely find it hard to believe nvidia thought they could pull this off

Have you used like a 4790k or 7700k systems compared to your Ryzen? I'm surprised you don't notice how much smoother it is when you're multitasking with AMD.

Even with HT on an Intel CPU, it still locks the core to the given process and just tries to switch context, which locks the other process waiting on the "simultaneous" thread.
AMD's SMT either runs two threads simultaneously on a core, or its context switching is just so quick that it seems that way.

You have to keep in mind that HT is kind of shit because it was created to dodge IBM's SMT patents. Those patents are fucking good shit. It's better than not having it at all like on the 8600k since 6 threads isn't enough for some games, but it's not great either.

If you can't wait for the 9700k. I'd get the 2700X instead for a 1440p build. Easy choice.
Could even drop the cooler and use the savings to get a larger SSD as well. I think you just have 500Gb.

Gsync IPS are around $600 last I checked.
I'd get one of the ~$525 1080Tis now then if you want to get an Nvidia GPU.

There is a high chance that Pascal stock will dwindle and 1080Ti will become more expensive. Then the only alternative is the new terrible performance for the money RTX series, or you'd have to get a bit weaker card in Vega. Or you wait for Navi.

8400 has generally been higher price, and the 2000 series came out. It was mainly recommended only compared to the 1600. But the 2600 was a huge improvement which makes the 8400 pointless as long as price is similar.
8600k was never recommended. ??? It's shit. You spend more than you'd spend on a 8700 non-k build for a CPU which, even at 5GHz and sucking power, is often out performed by the locked 8700.
It was the same situation with the 7600k compared to the 7700, where the locked 7700 outperformed the 7600k at 5Ghz. The *600k have been retarded CPUs to buy since *lake.

ryzen beats them?

Is the 212 EVO still relevant? If not, what's its successor?

pascals production stopped
buy them while price is low

>I'd get the 2700X instead for a 1440p build. Easy choice.
That was my original intent but ive been told several times that at that cost the intel cpu preforms better on 9 out ten games. I dont know what the case is or what motherboard/ram i would need to swap to at that point

>I'd get one of the ~$525 1080Tis now then if you want to get an Nvidia GPU.
Are these new 1080tis or b-stock? If I can find it for $530 that give me plenty of room of a decent monitor.
Didn't production stop months ago when retailers started shipping GPUs back to Nvidia? If anything production probably stopped in Q1.

Yeah I'd get everything now I just don't want to transport a monitor. Last time I moved I got a tiny scratch on my 1080p and it annoys me everytime I think about it. I'd like to get an EVGA in case stepping up to a 2080 will be worth it (it won't, but options are nice).

I think if I see a 6393 or 6696 drop in price in the next week I'll jump on them. $600 for a 1080ti would be fine with me.

VEGA 56 or VEGA 64. What's the major difference? I have a Freesync compatible IPS 144hz 1440p monitor

pcpartpicker.com/list/xBr929

Just checking, better to have a B360 mobo with lots of heatsinks on the vrm than a cheap H370 with none, right?

Attached: 1521443232427.jpg (1439x1470, 176K)

I wanna go for an amd build capable of 1440p 120hz if possible, while also acting as a workstation (vmware, some video editing, 3D modeling etc) im thinking of getting tbe 2800x when that comes out but im having a hard time justifying a vega over. 1080 or 1080ti what di you goyim suggest? I get that each card has pros and cons but im not sure of them in detail other than power draw and price.

A 64 edges out a 1070ti while a 56 does not

1080 is 180W
1080ti is 250W
look at your power unit and choose

Cryorig H7 is far better than the 212. It's usually $28-$35.
On the cheaper side, usually the GAMMAXX 400 if you're just looking for something to replace the 2200G/2400G cooler or a loud intel stock cooler on a locked CPU.

At 1440p with fast RAM, performance is the same. 2700X wins in some games, namely ones with multithreaded DX12/Vulkan renders or low level OpenGL, while 8700k wins in some others.
But the 2700X has the advantage of being more power efficient, is on AM4 that'll have 7nm CPUs instead of being stuck with a 9700k or probably $450 9900k as your only upgrade option 2 years from now, and the whole better SMT which keeps things smoother.

Also Ryzen actually has lower latency between
input from keyboard or mouse -> cpu sends draw calls to gpu
So as long as FPS is largely the same in a GPU bottlenecked scenario, it's just plain superior.

Only point in an 8700k and likely the 9700k is for 1080p.

That's fair. I doubt monitor prices are going to skyrocket or anything. There might be be black fridays sales on them, so maybe wait for that?

>Just checking, better to have a B360 mobo with lots of heatsinks on the vrm than a cheap H370 with none, right?
Just get one with the features you want for locked cpu. Can get a $7 pack of heatsinks with heat tape from aliexpress if needed.
8700 don't draw more than like 130watt, right?

>Is the 212 EVO still relevant? If not, what's its successor?
Nothing blows better

Attached: images-3.jpg (332x443, 10K)

VEGA 64 is, basically, a super clocked 56, and thus it runs hot and consumes a shit ton of power.

Get the 56 instead, not that many good games that require a ton of graphical power anyway. Competitive games that require a full 144hz shouldn't be played at ultra anyway.

If you haven't upgraded after the warranty expires, flash the bios to VEGA 64 bios and have fun with free performance™.

56 oc outperform 1070ti oc
thats if you undervolt vega 56, because it gain more performance this way for some reason

For gaming, no real difference. Clock-for-clock, they generally perform the same as Vega56 has as much compute as a 1080Ti and games just don't use that much compute currently.
If you overclock Vega56, or better yet flash BIOS to a Vega 64 model (make sure you get a flashable Vega 56 model though).
Vega 64 doesn't even guarantee that you get Samsung HBM, either.
And Vega 64 uses more power as those idle CUs still use power.
So just save money and get Vega 56 for gaming.

If someone can get me a list of flashable Vega56 models, I'll add it to the new pastebin.

That's stock.
Flash Vega 64 BIOS onto a Vega 56 and it performs nearly identical as that Vega 64 for less money and less power used.

I really don't think AMD should have even sold Vega 64 at all to gamers. Should have just been the Frontier Edition and HPC card.

currently have an i7-4770k with 16GB of RAM with an ATI ASUS Radeon 460 GPU (not into gaymen)..

OS Is windows 10 and with three monitors its laggy as fuck, two not so bad, one is fine..was never an issue with my windows 7 install.

any ideas?

Should i consider a vega for my use case or no?

Yeah, I'm certainly going to wait for black friday and maybe I could snag an ips for $500 or $550. I don't mind using 1080p for a month or two if I can save $100.

they overpriced because of miners
sadly

Aah rip id love to support amd there as well even though the power draw is high. But is it worth it performance wise? How does it go agaist a 1080 and 1080ti in non gaming applications as well as gaming?

>RTX 2000 series are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots

This is false. There are no benchmarks out yet. This is clearly an AMD shill thread.

460 should run 4x 4k monitors fine.
You'd need to diagnose this somehow. I'm not sure how. Task manager is a start.

2800X might not be coming out. We don't know yet. Won't know until the 9700k launch date approaches.
For modeling, what program are you using? Vega is massively better for the money over an Nvidia card in Blender.
And if you're doing KVM passthrough, again AMD is your only real choice.

As far as power draw, Vega undervolts very well, but you might need to set a higher power voltage for your modeling program than your usual undervolt, but AMD's software lets you do that easily.
If you undervolt and overclock Vega56, it tends to match the 1080.
You can OC the 1080 and get a bit more performance, but it gets into high power consumption itself then.

No they aren't. It's just because they cost a lot to manufacture because they have an interposer and HBM2 and a rather large die.

You're delusional.

>win 10
There is your problem.
Probably a drivers issue

Right on the money with blender and kvm and if an undervolted vega matches a 1080 that doesnt sound awful desu

ive updated drivers for my GPU, what would you suggest?

Where is a good source to read up more on this under volting stuff for the VEGA?

>ive updated drivers for my GPU, what would you suggest?
Your GPU is ancient.
I'm meaning that the drivers for your ancient GPU don't work well with win 10.
I've got an ancient cad program at work that we have to run on win 7 cause it isn't compatible with win 10.
I'm just guessing though but I've heard of shit like this before.
Anyways I'm sure there is a work around. Try Google

>Might have to completely restore PC as drivers are no longer installing.

Feels fucking bad man.

>1440p
Ti if you already have Gsync
So if I dont have Gsync, my only option is to buy vega? Jeez remove this from OP

>8700 don't draw more than like 130watt, right?

130w is still 130w.

Due to customs limitation I'm limited to Wish, and the alternatives there would break the price difference anyway (good heatsinks are cheap but conductive tape costs, plus the added wait time).

The guy just went neet, he is capable of averaging 5-6 hours gaming per gay during work days, so now he is going to need every bit of protection he can get on a budget.

Thanks for the reply though, never thought about heatsink modding before, will keep that in mind!

Attached: 1515490893567.jpg (405x348, 46K)

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/windows-10-x64-triple-monitor-setup-issues/cbe05aee-e9a7-4805-9cb6-85f7e6f36c8c
superuser.com/questions/947819/multiple-monitors-broken-with-windows-10-upgrade
Here are other people with not the same. But just getting g shit because of win 10
Leads me to believe it is indeed drivers. Win 10 might not just have support for older hardware(I actually know for a fact it doesn't) but yeah maybe its abit old cause I'm sure nvidia drops driver support for hardware after a few years.

Lol. How is that even a thing?
You tried uninstalling first?

If he's meet he shouldn't be buying anything. Don't encourage his poor behavior.

>If you can't wait for the 9700k. I'd get the 2700X instead for a 1440p build. Easy choice.
>Could even drop the cooler and use the savings to get a larger SSD as well. I think you just have 500Gb.
okay, im swapping it over to the 2700x, seems like the way to go. which 470 motherboard would you recommend?

Attached: Untitled.png (1274x791, 1.29M)

how difficult to repair double clicking RMB on zowie AM

thanks for that, i was just reading up on a forum with someone with a similar issue as mine...turns out he just upgraded hes GPU. i guess i could either go for a 32" monitor or buy a better GPU funded by flogging my current three monitors and GPU.

I used DDU in safe mode to uninstall drivers to roll back for Monster Hunter World. Now no matter what driver it is It just fails to uninstall.

Tried Media creation tool.
Tried updating windows.
Nothing.
Might have to do a whole reinstall of windows 10

Attached: file.png (792x442, 211K)

Don't listen to the namefag shill, 8700k is the patrician choice and will last you for a good 10+ years. 2700x can hardly overclock and gets shit on by the 8700k.

disassemble the mouse, take off the top part of the microswitch and reposition the metal spring, clear the contacts. some people of the internet will tell you to flatten the spring, do not do it, move it back instead. that's how i did it and it worked.
eventually just order new microswitches from aliexpress/amazon for like $3.

Attached: 1.jpg (780x325, 82K)

any one familiar with the MSI sea hawk 1080ti?
There are a coupled used on ebay for around $520, seems like a pretty good deal for an aio water cooled 1080ti.

im willing to be conviced but I find it hard to believe and cpu will last me ten years, ill want to upgrade in 5 usually. can you explain why and how the 8700 is better even with the increased cost?

Does AMD still live up to the meme of no drivers?

Attached: 1532785624273.jpg (402x401, 51K)

been on amd for 4 years, only had a driver issue once and it was short lived. so no?

Your GPU is ancient so an upgrade is good anyways.
Why are you trying to roll back for mH:w and what are you rolling back?
For geforce just uninstall it and then install the driver that's dated for when ever you want off the main website. I think its the program you should uninstall in this case.

Sorry I haven't used amd since I bought my 660ti back in the day and that was what amd was known for back then

Attached: 1530463385822.jpg (1091x1440, 111K)

Better performance in the older drivers.

I've tried downloading the drivers off the nvidia site without geforce experience and this.

It's just not installing.

Just look at the benchmarks.

Didn't they release new drivers so you can actually get better performance with mh:w? What a cock up. What's your set up? Maybe try gaining better performance via other means. Reinstalling win10 is pretty drastic
You can try OC your ram and GPU as well as activate MCE for your CPU for more performance

as a quick idea i reverted back to the previous driver in device manager and it now works flawlessly super speedy across all three monitors..

You'd actually be fine with just getting the B450M Mortar or Tomahawk. Don't actually need X470.
But for a more high end, the Prime Pro. And for higher end, the Crosshair VII.

Link to benchmarks from 2028, please.

AMD drivers and software is largely better than Nvidia's the past year, namely since the major December update last year. They were roughly even the year before that.
They also have the clean install option built right into the driver updater now days.

I've had an issue where I had to driver rollback on AMD as well while waiting for a fix as I had a problem in the known issues. Happens on Nvidia as well.

Sorry. I should have told you to try that. Atleast that's over. If it comes back again just do the same. Just uncase something decides to update your drivers without your knowledge

Anyone know a decent/cheap monitor I can buy for this build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/8TkH7W

pcpartpicker.com/user/Hipocrates1780/saved/NNwcYJ this is what Im thinking right now, the ram seems to be the best one available according to the mother board manufacturers website
dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X470-PRO/PRIME-X470-PRO-memory-QVL-for-Ryzen2nd--Generation-process.pdf?_ga=2.21402813.701001422.1534884957-1728495086.1529775018

added an ssd

>>Also Ryzen actually has lower latency between
>input from keyboard or mouse -> cpu sends draw calls to gpu
source on this?

why 1600 instead of 2600/b450 mobo? also slow ram, 850 meme and shitty kingston ssd, expensive as fuck gpu. if you live in the us then this is a better build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/gHDrRJ
if you chose those parts because you live somewhere else then at least switch the ssds and/or cpu+mobo combo.

He works summers at a nature camp and then spends the rest of the year in our mother's basement gaming and watching anime. He pays his rent and his Monster addiction by working extra at a local school whenever some tard wrangler calls in sick. He also doesnt buy any clothes or has any other hobby so much of his earnings go in the bank, so he isnt penniless.

This has been his life for the last three years, at least he wont be complaining in discord about his bsod toaster after this.

Attached: 1533718882336.jpg (252x300, 23K)

Is M.2 only for SSDs? If I buy a laptop that has 2 M.2 slots, can I put hard drives in there or just SSDs?

absolute fucking bullshit, don't listen to that retard and add him to your filter. he'll say anything so people buy amd, he literally spends whole day on Jow Forums just shilling.

Is this future proof?

Attached: dator.png (1059x928, 142K)

>M.2 hdd
user...

yes m.2 is only for ssds, there might be some crazy adapters that exist, but you would have no place to put the hard drives anyways

that's awful to the point of being a bait.

As long as he's happy and not being a drag on anyone good for him. Strange it doesn't look like he has any aspirations

At that price point you might as well replace the 1080ti with a Titan or 2080ti.

Dude...you are the first Swede (?) to actuall fall for the X299 meme. Seriously though, DO NOT get this system, Intel's X299 platform was a stillbirth.
Either get the 8700k if all you want to do is game, if you want to to work, get a Threadripper system.

I haven't built a computer in like a decade. I'm only now learning about these new formats and shit... I read that it supports SATA so I naturally assumed HDDs were compatible, but it seems HDs are too big to fit?

I see. Makes sense. I think I'm gonna go with a huge hard drive on the slot that fits them (whatever that is) and a smaller SSD on one of the M.2 slots. Dunno what to do with the other one.

Childhood trauma probably killed any motivation, I have similar issues but I can find motivation and gratification at work whilst idleness at home just makes me want to kms.

You and your friend should suck eachothers cocks so you can both find fulfilling love

Okay, this is what I plan to order for him.

How can I use a laptop's 2.5" drives after I upgrade the storage? Can I convert them to USB storage somehow?

I don't think ryzen supports such a high frequency. But if its cheaper it doesn't matter

it will support 144hz at 1440 with gsynch yes? thats my primary goal

I hear IPS is the hot shit, but I don't see any 1440p IPS monitors with lower than 4ms response time. If I play stuff like CSGO and fighting games will this be a noticeable problem for me?

Give me 1 good reason not to upgrade my i5-6500 to Ryzen 2700x right now.

Attached: 1412581293938.jpg (1280x720, 50K)

Yeah it should hey. But only some games it can hit over 144fps reliable on max settings.
You should check some benchmarks.

Nope. Response time is a meme
Your brain can only respond to 100ms

There's no reason not to.

Is this an improvement?

Attached: dator2.png (1060x936, 141K)

At 60 Hz, one frame is like 16 ms. It doesn't really matter if your display refreshes at like 10 ms, especially if the game is synchronized with the display.

PSA: The Zotac 1080 Ti everyone's clamoring about is a fake listing. Just wait for mid-week madness tomorrow.

I'm gonna get a b450 Board and a 2600 for overclocking.
My current Gigabyte mobo acts like a bitch when i try to overclock it.
Is there a significant temperature/power consumption increase with an overclocked 2600 at 4 to 4.2 ghz? My case has limited airflow and I would rather not risk it. It is a 150€ CPU on a 170€ board, after all.

Attached: 1533840903520.gif (332x263, 2M)

>case more expensive than cpu and mobo combined
for what purpose

snälla user

I did that exact thing
absolutely no regrets

What becnhmarks should I check? i mad an intel list but this seems much better for the cost as far as I can tell

a lot of wasted money here.

get a cheaper psu. max 750w-ish.

get a cheaper ssd. outside of specific use-cases, you can't tell the difference.

get a way cheaper case. you don't need anything that fancy.

the 2080 ti is very much unproven. if you're willing to get it despite price/performance, at least wait till benchmarks come out.