/spg/ - Smartphone General

Nokia 6.1 Plus Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: nokia-6-plus-14.jpg (800x600, 64K)

I currently have a Samsung J3 and really want to have a Redmi Note 5.
I have no need for it, my J3 does everything I want it too (except the screen may be a bit small when I read books or scans), so I'm looking for reasons to buy a Redmi Note 5.

Why should I get one? I have this consumerism itch that would be satisfied if I did, but I won't allow myself to do it if I don't have a good reason.

Pixel 2 really has the GOAT camera. It does really well with living subjects like people too (this is where the P20 kinda fail).

Attached: 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180821164216617_COVER.jpg (2016x1512, 1.82M)

S7 pleb here.

Pls make fun of me senpais

>note 9
Cringe corporation sheep falling for the novelty aspect.
Most people are not pathetic enough to not be able to spend a thousand dollars, but why the fuck would they do such a thing.

I mock people like you.

>J3 does everything I want it to
but Note 5 does it all better

>but Note 5 does it all better
How so? It just works.

I thought the S9 is better?

shame the rest of the phone is shit

Well at least the Galaxy J3 has a removable battery, unlike the Mememi note 5.

It is a repost but who cares.
>BlackBerry Key2 Edition
How is it? Aside bad camera, what other downsides does it has? Screen ratio? And what about using it with one hand?

Looking for a replacement for my V20. Willing to spend up to $300.
Must have 4gb and Type C.

I have so many Type C cables lying around, fuck going back to micro usb

Essential is $310 on Amazon. Not as good deal as when it was $224 a few days ago but still a decent price. I think Amazon has a price guarantee too so if the price drops again within a certain amount of days they'll refund you the difference.

Is it true the Note 5 comes with QC charger 3.0 but the Global one only has QC 2.0 ??

Ausfag here looking for a new smartphone
coming from a galaxy s2
must haves: 4G (bands 700 / 1800 / 2100 / 2300 / 2600), 5" or smaller
would prefer: AMOLED, removable battery, sdcard, security updates at least every 6 months
budget: $400 AUD max

I want to fug this phone

>willingly falling for the OLED meme

I want to get a Nokia 6.1 Plus, but I can't find it anywhere yet. Is it worth it waiting when I could also get an X6. As far as I can see the only difference is that the 6.1 plus has Android One, but I think the X6 is also pretty much stock. Guess the question is, do you think HMD will jew me out of updates if I get the X6.

Galaxy J2 Pro (2018)

>security updates at least every 6 months
There's no need for this arbitrarily determined timeline when phones with unlockable bootloaders exist. Forget about a removable battery, unless you're willing to use 2014. hardware.

You probably want to wait. X6 is the chink version so it supports less frequencies and there's no Play store or other Google software.

Mine has a little blue shift but otherwise it's pretty decent. I guess I'm in the honeymoon period since my previous was the Galaxy S5...

Attached: 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180727223336820_COVER.jpg (2016x1512, 1.6M)

No play store, didn't know that. Thanks my man.

Was playing a game, and suddenly the touch screen on my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 stopped working. Anyone know how to fix this? The side buttons still work fine though.

Anyone here using microG? I have some questions.

What other phones have the boxy aesthetic of the xperia line? I currently have a XZ1 compact but the new XZ2 is all round and shit, I can't be doing with that.

Attached: xz1_1_all.png (598x426, 207K)

Why are you looking to switch phones? I'm thinking of getting the XZ1C myself, and it's still getting updates.

Razer Phone

Holding the power button should eventually force restart it. If it still isn't responsive after the restart, try booting twrp (assuming you have an unlocked bootloader) and see if the touchscreen works there, if it doesn't it's most likely hardware.

What version of Lucky Patcher is the legit one? There are a dozen clones on the play store.

Mine took a one foot spill and the vibrator is going crazy, still on the fence if I should try to repair it, get a new XZ1C or find some replacement.

I read a lot at night and minimum brightness + screen filter + amoled helps but its not essential
pretty good but do samsung even update their J series?
I want a smartphone not a DIY software kit

Mock my note 9 all you want. All I hear is jealousy.

Guy, my phone just restarted out of nowhere and wont boot. When I plug it to charge, it starts turning itself on and off quickly, and the screen battery indicator just wont come up.

Is my phone dead?

Redpill me on Mi A2

Flagships aren't that crazy expensive unless you buy out of pocket. If you are loyal to one carrier they usually have deals or you can move to a new service that also has deals. I just got buy one get one free note 9 that I'm splitting with my brother. Find me a chink phone for $500 that's better

xz2 is the least round phone out there
(not including the vomit inducing razor plastic phone)

Ok so here's the deal
>have Huawei P9
>absolutely love its b&w camera but the lack of support and optical zoom puts me off
>gf's sister is looking for a new phone, doesn't care that much about it but it should take good pictures
>she likes the ones I take with mine, starts considering buying it
>an idea crosses my mind: sell her mine (vg conditions) and get a new one
and here's the deal, the options are:
>sell it to her, get Nokia 7 plus (optical zoom, good camera, always up to date OS, but no b&w camera)
>sell it to her, get Huawei P10 (even better b&w camera, very nice looks, but no optical zoom and who knows about support and future updates)
>keep my good ol' (well I got it last year) P9 and fuck it all
wat do? pic related, a photo I took with the P9 a few weeks ago

Attached: IMG_20180725_213730.jpg (3968x2976, 2.67M)

Had my Huawei y7 for a few weeks now.

Really like it. You have these in burgerland?

This shit is p round my dude

Attached: thumb_128649_default_big[1].png (960x960, 421K)

So if you're phone is rooted and you update android will it unroot it?

Pretty sure on any phone that doesn't have the play store you can just install it yourself in a second

Yeah, at least for a year.

you mean xz premium

Why doesnt china make good single-handed phones? :

>Is my phone dead?
yep, what phone was it?

shit build quality and shit processor
not entirely sure, but possibly shit storage speed

best midranger on the market, but it does have it's flaws:
>no mSD support
>no 3.5mm jack
>if you're a burger, only supports B2&4 for LTE, so no full coverage

well it can be done through apk's but you have to get Google Play Services first or it won't work

>>no mSD support
>>no 3.5mm jack
fugggg

Redmi Note 5 has both

>Nokia 6.1 Plus Edition
who here getting info from /geekyranjit/?

Attached: Screenshot-50.png (874x645, 70K)

Still the sharpest corners in the biz. That just goes to show you how absolutely rounded everything else is.

Attached: Samsung-Galaxy-S9-03.jpg (1300x1000, 101K)

lol, i got my info from gizchina

>If you are loyal to one carrier they usually have deals or you can move to a new service that also has deals.
So a loan.

yeah but it doesn't have android one and type c

how is it less exoensive when it brings up your overall bill? this is jigg logic

Galaxy Note 3.
It got a bit wet but noticed too late. I wonder if that fucked it up.

get a Nokia 6.1, or wait for the 6.1 Plus

It finally arrived! Now what?

Attached: IMG_20180821_165352.jpg (2752x2064, 233K)

it sure did, if you had it powered off and stuck it in rice you could have saved it

Wait 2 weeks to unlock the bootloader

just ordered xperia z1 because of the camera. what am i in for?

p-p-please respond...

Its not more expensive my bill is exactly the same as before when I bought my phone out of pocket for full msrp. The catch is that Im financing the 2nd phone "for free" over 2 years and if I cancel my service I need to pay the remaining balance on the phone. I don't have any intention of switching my family to another provider so why not take advantage of their deals? I don't understand how everyone here is so skeptical. Instead of browsing gearbest for coupons on chink phones you can also look around for incentives or deals at places like Costco for deals on flagships

Not so much a loan as a contract agreement

P10 is kinda old. Mate 10/10 Pro or P20/P20 Pro not in your budget? Or even one of the midrangers like Honor 10 or Honor View 10?

S7 reporting in. That phone is superior to chink brands.

Attached: quarterpounder.png (925x627, 723K)

because no one here wants to have a $300 phone bill every month with their family, it's cheaper to get a midrange device or something better outright because you don't really need a flagship with how midrange devices are nowadays, spending $350X4 and $100/month for prepaid unlimited is still cheaper than what you're recommending
it's called simple economics and not falling for something shiny and new

It's shit, the rest is okay tho

yeah, I want to spend 350€ tops. about the honors, I despise any colour but black/grey, glossy/glass back covers andobnoxious logos. I know the P10 is kinda old but the b&w camera on the p9 is something else. I'm really, really undecided right now

>I want a smartphone not a DIY software kit
What are you doing using a smartphone then?

>yeah but it doesn't have android one
It has treble support and even has Android P GSI beta builds available.
>and type c
Its 4000 mAh battery charges under two hours. And reversible micro USB cables exist.

got a note 9. you don't. I'm better than you

Even had*

>i'm a consumerist whore who has to have the latest and greatest even to a detriment
>brb, they're repossesing my car, foreclosing on my house, there's a dude outside with a bat who's come to collect on those race bets

Attached: 340F48A4C4EE451F874830151B623FFC.png (1200x800, 1.12M)

:^)

Yes the POO (Pro) version for the indian market has QC 3.0 and the front camerais 20mp. The global version is QC2.0 and the front camera is 13MP.

Very weird indeed since the sensor is the same, just the resolution it uses is different. I dont know if with root you can unlock the QC function but i thing with GCam Mod you can use the full 20mpx on the front.

>What are you doing using a smartphone then?
because dedicated media players are ded
because feature phones won't grab my emails

I think you are missing the point that we had paid in full phones and we were on a month-to-month billing cycle for like 3 years already. The base bill is exactly the same with the bogo phone except the $44 a month payment for 2 years (which ends up being $1056 for both note 9s). Only those two lines are locked for 2 years, not everyone needs to upgrade.

also, this was done through costco (which gets us a free case and battery pack + goodies) and they had the same deal with verizon, sprint, tmobile, and att. I know some phone plans are cheaper if you buy your phone outright and then do a month-to-month thing but in my scenario we were already all month-to-month.

The best deal right now that i was looking out for was sprint gives you unlimited talk, text, and data (throttled after 50gb/mo) free for one year for up to 5 lines. My brothers didnt want to deal with the 480p video lock and 500Kbps music streaming speeds though. If you want the cheapest plans you should be going with sprint, tmobile, or another "smaller" carrier and not att or verizon. If you're gonna be staying with a carrier for years might as well use their promotions. Ive shopped around for days before pulling the trigger and im fine paying an extra $150 to get a note 9 rather than some midrange phone.

heh nothin personnel kid

Attached: DlJOXilXoAARLcd.jpg (1440x1920, 259K)

Quick charge is software enabled, so you probably can upgrade it if a developer who knows his shit can make a zip
well I hope you went with T-Mobile or one of the MVNOs that use T-Mo or AT&T because Sprint and Boost are utter dogshit for LTE coverage
it's your money, so it's your choice if you want to be wasteful or not

Using a case not an option? Btw, Nokia 8 is another phone with a B&W sensor to consider if you weren't aware it exists.

We are getting jewed by Verizon since my family members don't want to jump ship sadly. My point being is that all carriers have deals on flagships if you keep their service. So you can still have t-mobile's cheap plans with the bogo promotion if you play your cards right. Also it might only be deals to Costco members, I'm not sure

I am too scared to buy chinkshit.
Should I get OP6 or wait for OP6T? My only concern is the poor speakers on the OP6, I don't care about wireless charging at all.

>case
nah, I hate them
>nokia 8
I was aware it existed but didn't know it had a b&w sensor. do you know if it has an optical zoom? also, I can find it with prices ranging from 330€ to 580€, what the fuck lmao

most, if not ALL, Costco deals are specifically for Costco members
you are correct if you have a cheap plan with a carrier you could still come out on top, but that means you can only play your cards about 3 times a year, and BoGo shit is typically if you switch from another major carrier, not a MVNO
the fine print can fuck you royally, and I prefer to have to pay month to month with all taxes and fees included in the price rather than post paid fuckery where the customer has to pay thebagreed price THEN pay the taxes and fees where a bill that's $50/month can turn into $60+/month real fucking quick
>Verizon
I couldn't believe another carrier was capable of out slimeballing AT&T until Verizon became insanely popular, fuck VZW

>scared to buy chinkshit
>wants to buy a OnePlus phone

Attached: 1530302651574.png (600x724, 420K)

And what about the Chinese version from Ali?
what QC version charger comes with it?

Redmi Note 5, G6 Plus or Nokia 7 Plus?

Attached: unknown.png (276x418, 185K)

It might entail opening new lines and then later closing old lines to get some juicy deals that are meant for new customers (my buddies have been doing this with t-mobile for years). The only downside is you lose your number

Oh right and the first Pixel.

is Google Voice still around? from what I've heard the way to get around that is to port your original nuber to GV, then take advantage of the deals and never lose your number

anyone got any thoughts on the Pixel XL vs the A2 Lite? I really want to get the A2 but it doesn't support bands 12/17

you can still do that. costs money to port your number though.

LG Stylo 4. A little slow sometimes, wish they had put more ram in. Love the capture+ feature though, being able to crop screenshots before I even take them is amazing. Camera is pretty bad, but my last was a pixel 2 xl so everything is worse than that.

Note 8

It's great.

In a UAG monarch case because it's light yet stronk and looks good desu.

No screen protection because stop fucking making round edges on phones you absolute cunts.

Wtf happened to the pixel

Why'd you get that over a Pixel 1?

chances we'll get a 6.1 plus with LTE B66 and B13? I know none of their other phones have it, but I'm sorta hoping they'll start adding it soon since they intend to increase their presence in NA

Anyway to get the p30 in the west yet?

I'll import