Distro Recommendation

Looking for distro recs. Something easy and lightweight for a school laptop that will be a glorified word processor + web browser.

I only have experience with two distros from when I used Linux ~5 years ago:
Ubuntu: I started with this and found it to be... ugly garbage honestly. Only ever made me miss Windows.
Crunchbang: Needed something for an old laptop and it blew me away. Fast. Elegant. Nice aesthetic. No desktop icons, folders, or start menu. Had to open everything by right clicking on the desktop or hitting the hotkey and it somehow ended up being way smoother than how I was used to laptops working. The project died years ago unfortunately.
Any current, recommendable distros that smooth?

Attached: CrunchBang_11_Waldorf.png (1366x768, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bunsenlabs.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>The project died years ago unfortunately.
bunsenlabs.org/

Ubuntu Mate
Xubuntu
Kubuntu

of if you are advanced something like Alpine, Arch, Void.

If I disliked Ubuntu are any of its variants really going to change it up enough? I was somewhat interested in Lubuntu because I seem to like Openbox.

this is promising, will have to at least try an install

yes, all of them have different windows managers.

just try each of them, put iso on a usb stick and play a little with live version, is enough to make an idea desu

Avoid any Linux they are all botnet
The kernel has been compromised
Switch to a very safe distro like Alpine or OpenBSD

Attached: 400px-Puppy_logo.svg.png (400x400, 68K)

Install Arch
>people will know you're a real hacker not just some wannabe
>you can get laid constantly by telling girls you use arch
>everyone will accept you as chad when they see your riced i3-gaps + anime wallpaper setup

Xubuntu is honestly the best light desktop experience on Linux right now.

Xubuntu rules

this, lightweight, easy to use, and cute

wut m8
explain

they are all botnet shit, its free but not libre, so yeah Alpine is nice

gentoo is good too, but only if you compile it yourself

is CDE any good?
it's aesthetic

Attached: 1.jpg (1013x765, 137K)

Debian (Devuan) or Fedora. All other distros are memes

you can make any distro look like that, distros dont "look good" or "bad" they are text based and the looks are external

Fedora.. god tier.
dnf is da bomb

Attached: ef76ad65d8f42f23d95dda2c2a74548bd05fc0631b8a4e84b620d48dd8ea52ee.gif (342x342, 392K)

how would I steal that CDE aesthetic in something else?

kde and xfce where CDE clones initially, since it was closed source and you had to buy it.. now its open source, just use it if you like the design

this, don't listen to these fucking idiots recommending arch, devuan or whatever "minimal" shit.

If you want something perfect, get a fedora netinstall, install sway, and enjoy the way it *just works*.

Modern packages, and repos for most open source projects. Good security with SELinux. No Canonical bs. it just works

What's a good, easy distro for someone coming from macOS who likes its design philosophy? I've heard about elementaryOS but some people say it's not a good choice and has a small dev team.

if you really care about design, then elementary or solus, but be warned that these distros are impaired and arent great for productivity. use something else with worse design if you can, you will save yourself a lot of suffering

It seems like figuring out how to port the aesthetic would be better after all, given what I'm reading.
>I recommend the Common Desktop Environment for didactic and learning purpose only. Its archaic design does not resemble today’s desktops.

how difficult/time-consuming is it to make a more mainstream distro like fedora, ubuntu or debian look nice?

exactly the same as with any other distro.. ricing is not done by the distro, but by the user..

a few distros like elementary have custom DEs, if you like em you got it.. if not you got trouble ahead of you..

Fedora and debian come with clean desktop managers, ubuntu has a slighty themed gnome3 .. but in reality its just a few extensions

probably quite a long time. you can copy someones dotfiles but you will end up tweaking it and wasting hours. I really recommend just using vanilla sway. it's clean and functional

Linux is just a kernel. You want an operating system.

YOU CAN MAKE ANY OS LOOK LIKE ANY OTHER OS YOU DUMB FAGGOT!

WTF DO YOU MEAAAAAN BY UGLY OS???? JUST CHANGE THE FUCKING WM/DE YOU FUCKING CHILD NOOB FAGGOT KYS KYS KYS KSHYSYFJOSDHFUIOSMJLKFsnh >LFmjohlbnufzaswebhkiscdbhk uioq2sWENHJOJLAQNKm

What are the stats of said laptop? CPU, RAM, etc. I can tell you right now that replacing an old hard drive with an SSD will make a huge fucking difference.

Based and redpilled

Devuan
>No cuckage
>Simple

Gnu/WIndows 7

Linux Mint MATE (Suggesting MATE instead of Cinnamon because Cinnamon control center has a bug that prevents it from connecting to many school wifi networks, specifically, ones secured with PEAP authentication method.