/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read
→ → → → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: 13.jpg (240x240, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8300h-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-12gb-ram-nvidia-gtx-1050/12568364.aspx?
bestbuy.
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100167732 601206490 601205664&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S17915623
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-indoor-hdtv-antenna/
distrowatch.com/
how-fixit.com/laptop-repair-guides/lenovo-laptop/lenovo-b50-30-b50-40-b50-70/
aur.archlinux.org/packages/ungoogled-chromium/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Someone please tell me what's wrong with this laptop: bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-8300h-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-12gb-ram-nvidia-gtx-1050/12568364.aspx?

It seems too good to be true, and I'm scared that if I buy it, it will just explode or something. I've always heard "gaming laptops" are bad for some reason, but have no idea why. Help would be appreciated.

old thread:

How does the urxvt rgba transparency thing works? i'm trying to get the alpha higher to get less transparency, but all I managed to do was make everything pink, can't change the alpha at all

>bestbuy.
>core i5 8300h
>128gb ssd
>gtx-1050

1050 is shit. You can get a 1060 for cheaper.

newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100167732 601206490 601205664&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

If you have a HDD or SDD laying around, they are selling newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S17915623
Just add ram, buy the cheapest DDR4 laptop shit you can find. Same price, but i7 and 1070.

>I'm scared that if I buy it, it will just explode or something
Cheap laptops (definitely including Acers) are certainly built down to a price, not up to a standard. It'll work but it ain't gonna be the most durable or rugged thing.
> I've always heard "gaming laptops" are bad for some reason, but have no idea why
Mainly because gaming and mobility pull in opposite directions so you end up with a device that isn't a very good gaming machine (ie, doesn't give you the framerates you could have, doesn't have the greatest screen or keyboard, is very thermally limited) while also not being a very good laptop (isn't as small or light as a non-gaming laptop, has worse battery life because of the thirstier CPU and dGPU) and you generally pay extra to get this compromise.

How often do you need to game on the go anyway? It can wait till you get back to your dorm room. Even the tightest dorm-room desks will easily fit a uATX or ITX machine, monitor, KB, and mouse. That will give you a better gaming machine, a backup so that if your laptop dies you can still type your papers, and will mean that you're more likely to pay attention in class instead of playing games.

Bumping

Jow Forums approved anti-virus

Attached: 1437107015908.png (773x1083, 651K)

Buying a laptop. Should I get 1 TB SSHD or 2 TB 5400 rpm drive? I do need as much storage as possible...

>Mainly because gaming and mobility pull in opposite directions so you end up with a device that isn't a very good gaming machine
That's not the case anymore with the 10-series. A 1060 is probably better than a 780 Ti was, and it uses way less power. Most laptops are 1080p, and people were pushing the 780 Ti with 1440p.
They don't make 'mobile' GPUs anymore, you get the same performance. The 'gayming laptop' meme is dead. They are good machines.

re-paste, or check out the /fglt/ in the OP.

Windows Defender or Linux.

Looking for the edit of this picture with the DVD code on it from years back.

Attached: 1.jpg (480x360, 28K)

I have had my computer hooked up to my tv as a media center for years. I find all the shows I want and download them illegally or stream them illegally. But I am starting to miss mindlessly watching what ever the fuck in on. Is it worth buying a Roku? How much content is free and how much do I need to pay for?

I can't for the life of me remember what the site was, but it was where you could download pretty much any OS? Help and user out?

Get one of these
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-indoor-hdtv-antenna/
It will pull in a ton of channels in HD for free.

>download pretty much any OS?
See OP for Windows.
Got to distrowatch.com/ for Linux.

found it, getintopc.com, thanks anyways.

I am not necessarily looking for live tv, just casual easy to watch streaming. I have a new boyfriend and we are not in sync with a lot of shows right now and we are still just kinda dating so it is nice to just flip through channels and watch stupid series that we don't really care about. Are there a lot of free on demand series on roku?

good youtube to mp3 sites?
mp3fiber is shutdown

Literally just pick one from Google. They're all shit.

can someone tell me wtf this red thing is on this thinkpad im trying to buy on ebay

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 202K)

trackpoint
You won't go back to touchpads after this one

SSHD's have a short lifespan afaik, ~1 year. Get the 2TB

>getintopc.com
Nice shill for your botnet site.

>free on demand series on roku?
No idea. Sure they've got a forum or something. Or you could just download whatever you want as you're currently doing? Youtube?
You're literally asking to pay for something you already do for free. Fuck it, buy the Roku, you tell us.

thank you! it seems incredibly inconvenient if I do a lot of typing work, though? No?

Kind of a very stupid question. There is a Lenovo B50-70 laptop, which I have heard has non original parts in it, so I am not sure about the motherboard. Also the laptop is not in front of me. I know for sure there is a bios issue that makes the laptop just black screen after being turned on, but as I am not there I can't exactly open it and remove the CMOS battery. Any idea if there might be some other way to reset to default the bios? Or how long with will take for the battery to lose charge?

>trackpoint
>You won't go back to touchpads after this one
You got that backward. The people that use the clit have been doing so for over 20 years. The rest of us use a mouse.

>getintopc.com

just fucking around with virtual os's from a throw-away EHD so meh

Why change the motherboard? It isn't a desktop.
how-fixit.com/laptop-repair-guides/lenovo-laptop/lenovo-b50-30-b50-40-b50-70/

>just fucking around with virtual os's from a throw-away EHD so meh
Go to the vendor's site and get the actual thing, not some backdoored version you idiot.

I didn't say anything about changing the motherboard.

No, not at all.
trackpoints are superior and feel just natural unless you are gayming. Feel free to enjoy your slow bluetooth or usb mouse though.

the self destruct button

Why are there no reference cards without coolers?
I want to buy Vega 64 and retrofit a water block on it but there seems to e no cheap cooler-less versions. Why so?

Maybe some OEMs can even make some batches with the water blocks out of the box?

My keyboard is fucked up. Everything around and including the arrow keys is inputting more characters than it's supposed to. Here's a picture of what it looks like when I press every button.
Pressing . also presses that right click key.

Attached: 20180821_181451.jpg (2560x1440, 2.63M)

>I didn't say anything about changing the motherboard.
>There is a Lenovo B50-70 laptop, which I have heard has non original parts in it, so I am not sure about the motherboard.

>trackpoints are superior and feel just natural unless you are gayming. Feel free to enjoy your slow bluetooth or usb mouse though.
>slow
Nigger, how is a mouse slow?

>Maybe some OEMs can even make some batches with the water blocks out of the box?
They do.
Some of them make cards with both air and water cooling.
You have to be 18 to post here, btw.

When people say to update your drivers for performance, which drivers are they usually referring to? I updated my GPU driver, is that the essential thing, or are there more?

I just said I am not sure what motherboard it has, meaning I can't for sure find bios files to put in a usb and hope it loads from it. Which doesn't seem to be an option anyway.
At that I said because it is not currently in my hands and it won't be opened by a complete novice I am wondering if the CMOS can go to default through some other way different than removing the CMOS battery. Some Novo button clicking or something, but I found nothing of the sort online.

>They do.
>Some of them make cards with both air and water cooling.
All I've seen are AIOs. Direct me to the ones with water blocks.

>I updated my GPU driver, is that the essential thing, or are there more?
That's what they are talking about 99% of the time.
The other time is when doing a fresh install, and updating the chipset, ethernet, wireless, etc. devices connected to your motherboard.

youtube-dl (in combination with ffmpeg) to download the best available audio (most likely Vorbis or Opus) and to convert it to mp3. No need for shitty online converters.
youtube-dl -f bestaudio -x --audio-format mp3 --audio-quality 0 youtube-URL

Look at the link faggot.

>All I've seen are AIOs. Direct me to the ones with water blocks.
What card? Both nVidia and AMD have sold watercooled cards straight from vendors. Some of them are hybrid, with ports, but no hoses/piping. Others are ready for LN.

There are.
Water cooling is worse than Air cooling and Vega 64 is a housefire tier card so watercooling for it is rare.

Wait for the new cards or Vega price drop instead.

>What card?
Vega 64, please. I was going to buy a water block from XSPC. I want one for regular water cooling.

>Wait for the new cards or Vega price drop instead.
I will wait for the price drop. New PC is ~half a year in the future.

How mcfucked is my PSU?

Attached: voltyboi.png (228x133, 4K)

>Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter
>Intel PWLA8391GTLBLK PRO/1000 GT Desktop Network Adapter
What's the difference? I need one because a thunderstorm blew up my ethernet port.

The link is absolutely useless and you are not understanding what I am asking.

how can i record s video and direvtky save it to my pc?

hypercam my dude

Are you sure it's the PSU?
I'd think a lot of things would be fucked if that was the case.

Your motherboard sensor is fucked, or its just a shitty one.

If those were the voltages you wouldn't be able to use any HDD, your CMOS battery wouldnt save BIOS settings and your GPU wouldn't boot.

From screen to PC.
OBS.
From Camera to PC.
Depends which camera, OBS works too.

Are you implying my ebay refurb motherboard has faulty chips

finally looking at getting a vpn so I can re-torrent a bunch of shit

would it be better to use my server at home to torrent, or would I be better off using a seedbox service? If so, what would you guys recommend?

Attached: 1496429464472.jpg (480x480, 38K)

its an old camera with av and s video output. i need a recorder and the best quality this outputs is s video so how do i record my vids? idk what hypercam is nor obs. i searched them up but not sure if its the right thing, can someone spoon feed me pls?

Plz no judge it comes from a long term ERP partner.

How do I stop the botnet from tracking me on hentai websites?

Attached: Pregnancy.png (212x396, 47K)

So, I've done a bit more research. I'm attempting to install ungoogled-chromium from the AUR. Here's what's happening:

>trizen -S ungoogled-chromium
>runs
>freezes entire system, I assume from OOM, and have to hard reboot (file in question is browser_jumbo_8.o)

I was looking at the AUR comments and it seems like someone had a similar issue aur.archlinux.org/packages/ungoogled-chromium/
At first I thought it was my processor overheating because it runs super hot when I try to install it, but I throttled it and it still did the same thing.
I've got an AMD FX-8350 (8 threads) and 16 gigs of RAM. So here's the questions:

What am I doing wrong?
Am I really OOM?
And if I am, how would I go about fixing that and getting that and getting it to install?

Attached: 1521397317159.jpg (572x303, 144K)

Install uBlock Origin and enable Privacy filters.
aDD uMatrix too if you want to go full paranoid.

um a vpn thats not monitored by the gov?

yes. Or a loose wire(s) somewhere in the cable harness.

whats a good screen recording software that everybody uses

Attached: tumblr_n7kev1SEAO1sct2bzo1_500.jpg (500x341, 21K)

How do I get programs to appear directly in the "open with..." file menu in Windows 10 without having to click it and then click "More apps"?

Hypercam2

>Hypercam2
thank you

Attached: heart.png (534x321, 168K)

wait fuck i hate you guys

OBS retard, could have just typing in screen recording software into google.

what is the easiest way to run my computers off of car batteries? my mom is cutting off my electricity so I need another option.

Did Jow Forums change its appearance? Something doesn't look right to me.

Attached: 1448082802819.jpg (189x189, 32K)

No. It looks as shitty as before.

Attached: 1459100542549.jpg (340x340, 18K)

I'm a different person asking about a vpn Huuur! are any vpns safe anymore

Attached: 1 out of 3 are fags.jpg (597x1575, 115K)

I want to buy a basic hard drive to back up my files, what should I buy?

I was given an iMac 2,1 and I've been screwing around with it. I tried to make a minimal debian install with Retroarch and anything 3d runs like absolute garbage (20 fps max)

Is that just the best it can do? I've installed non-free firmware to get video drivers and it still sucks

The way it looks right now is that I actually get better performance from a Raspberry Pi

Please give advice

Attached: 1519550679894.png (654x648, 464K)

I can't resize the explorer window when choosing to select an image to post on Jow Forums on Firefox on WIndows 10.

Attached: 67101390_p0.jpg (512x512, 62K)

Laptop came in
No chare
How long should I wait for it to charge before turning it on?

1 minute tops.
Make a Linux USB or install BatteryBar Free in Windows and check battery status.

Or download HWInfo and post the battery section here.

If I get a smart card and set it up for use with LUKS, do I have to keep it plugged in the entire time I use the computer, or just when I want to decrypt a drive?

I failed
I'm out of the house

I think you need to set depth in your .Xdefaults, I'll send you my config tomorrow if you wanna

Removed one of my switches because I was going to clean it out and it being the first time doing this I ended up fucking up the switch. I'm guessing that I need to remove the bottom and solder off the switch and that'll just pop off and I resolder in a new switch? There's still a really small broken piece of plastic on the left hand side, will this entire thing come off so I don't have to worry about trying to force it out?

Really thought I put the right image on the second time, my bad

Attached: key.jpg (3024x4032, 2.95M)

The only clit you'll ever touch

Where does ffmpeg come into play here?

Install windows 7

Next time use the switch removerinator that came with it and not this

Might as well return your keyboard for a new one

Attached: flat head tool.jpg (425x213, 6K)

Can a thinkpad x220 with and i5 and 8gb of ram run Manjaro KDE?

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET A JOB AT GOOGLE?

Attached: 86893302-frog-announcer-as-a-green-amphibian-holding-a-megaphone-or-bullhorn-shouting-a-message-as-a (1300x933, 101K)

Kde is bloat, you won't use bloat, right user?

What's important when using ffmpeg to re-encode HD videos to be mobile-friendly, while retaining some semblance of quality?

I have got a doozy for y'all, /sqt/: after Windows slipped its 1803 update right in my backdoor, my Bluetooth has vanished. I'm using an Intel Dual-Band Wireless 8265NGW chip on this laptop, which means that if my Wifi is working, my BT should also be working. Stranger still, any BT category or device has vanished from Device Manager and (I think they're connected) this gay little failure has sprung up in its place:
>Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting to no end, plus other remedies. The only things I haven't tried are updating BIOS and repairing Windows 10. I'm about to do the former, but I heard doing the latter has no effect and my internet is shit anyways. What do?

Attached: 1524402594144.jpg (716x597, 90K)

be a black, muslim, female to fluid-queer, animal-kin

Graduate from DeVry

So I have a decent handle on C++ and can figure my way around C# a little bit. I've taken classes specifically on C++ and have done some self guided study on Java and Python.

One thing I've never quite figured out is how to make anything that isn't dependent on the console or fucking around in Unity. That is, I've never done anything with UI. Now, when I was in middle school and palm pilots were a thing, I remember making programs on that because it was as simple as making pages and pointing things back and forth in it.

I want to try to put together an application for my job to simplify my life and automate some basic tasks. Excel isn't nearly as effective as I would like for the automation portion, and if I were to give this to a coworker they might be scared off by how much raw data is thrown at you for it.

How the fuck do I figure out how to do UIs with one of the languages I'm familiar with? I've sunk so low as to try Visual Basic but I can't get the damn thing to swap between pages and everything I turn up online is woefully outdated.

>get a new PC a little over a week ago
>put Win10 on it because like it or not it's easily the most supported and easiest to use for games
>use the toolkit in the OP pastebin to activate it
>probably unrelated but it's now inexplicably crashing with a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bluescreen for no reason whatsoever like once per day
This OS is so outrageously shit. I'm impressed something so shit has managed to be the standard of 99% of computers in the world.

Attached: 1532490918128.jpg (600x411, 86K)

I have an AMD Raedon 7800. Is there any way to possibly do a three monitor setup? At all?

Why will I never be a Mieow loli?

Is there an app or program I can use to hide other apps/files on my Pixel 2? I loved my secure folder on my Galaxy but this phone doesn't have that.

Any skype alternatives?

What's the book for interview questions that is recommended by everyone? I think it's Cracking the Coding Interview book, but if anyone has additional suggestions it's very welcome. Thanks.

alright Jow Forums i'm about to download a fedora .iso to install on my 64-bit laptop.
There's a 64-bit and a 32-bit options.
Which should I choose?
Will I encounter any software problems/limitations with the 64-bit version?

Attached: fedora-logo-700x700.png (700x700, 28K)

> went to school for shitty cs associates
> 1 year 4 months of shitty internship experience at the same company

Am I fucked?