It is official

It is official
Gabe journey to kill windows just took a new step ahead
They officially announced the vulkan wrapper for windows games on Linux

steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

There's a lot of info about it, and the dxvk was in the ruse the whole time
They called it proton, and they have opensourced it already

Attached: Screenshot_20180821-235949_1.png (1080x1489, 276K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/
youtube.com/watch?v=dwofodP8jUc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

*Dxvk guy
When he was asked about it, he said he was not in talk with Valve, when in reality the negro was working for them since January

Damn, it even works with VR. I'm seriously very impressed. If this runs well this is gonna be huge for Linux

It's going to be great for PC in general since it's another shot at proprietary DirectX.
Hopefully devs don't use DXVK as an excuse, but still better than not.

>too retarded for a crossplatform gui-toolkit?
>Make electron and write in fucking JS.
>Too retarded to make crossplatform games?
>Make wine to emulate windows! And emulate DirectX!

Meanwhile I am coding my engine against .NetStandard.

cool bro

*CRACKS* *SIPS* It even supports quake. Now this is epic.

Attached: 1529476785670.jpg (380x349, 35K)

This needed to exist *before* they tried to make Steam Machines a thing.

Quite impressive list of supported titles:
Beat Saber
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
Doki Doki Literature Club!
DOOM
DOOM II: Hell on Earth
DOOM VFR
Fallout Shelter
FATE
FINAL FANTASY VI
Geometry Dash
Google Earth VR
Into The Breach
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
Mount & Blade
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
NieR: Automata
PAYDAY: The Heist
QUAKE
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Star Wars: Battlefront 2
Tekken 7
The Last Remnant
Tropico 4
Ultimate Doom
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Dark Crusade
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Soulstorm

>It even supports quake.
This is actually really great.

>you will live to see steam kill discord AND windows

Linux is a kernel that runs in Android and GNU/Linux.

I know Richard
Don't worry

Linux just needs games and it will grow 10x in a year

Sheet yes I am so going to build a Lunix gaming box just for this. Thanks gaben.

This is actually impressive, unironically

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Either by official name or otherwise, someone could just do the same concept today with the work that's been done by Valve. Either with Windows and big picture mode, Linux and bpm, SteamOS, SteamOS on a Valve certified device, something you made yourself, it's all to the same end.

>literally no more reasons to use windows
I haven't played a single game in months but I don't want to switch my main computer over to mint because I would lose all of the shit I bought and I couldn't use office.

Please. This. Soon.
I don't want to be spied on or used for botnet storage anymore.

Wait, is this Proton Free Open Source?

Attached: eaec992b44dfcca6a53cb22e341792d2c57fe7dc3615584d87c374a54b97dc50.png (370x286, 77K)

If it works as well as lutris then this is awesome

I thought i heard gabe say he didn't want to use wine because it discourages native ports. I guess he realized you have to have native linux users for companies to want to make native linux versions.

Damn I expected this eventually what with the advent of dxvk, gpu-passthrough, looking glass, WINE getting better at running games as intended than modern windows but I did not expect official support like this until 2020
the future is now and it just werks

It's already available in the beta client on Linux right now, afaik

Can we please for once discuss the actual technology and not the laws and social politics around it.

Yesch: github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton

can be enabled for all titles in settings

Attached: 663ebe1356bb547058885557bd303efbc66c6de7.png (428x334, 14K)

I know but the list are officially confirmed titles that work

>is this Proton Free Open Source?
yes

Attached: 1528826330142.png (626x667, 594K)

*sips* bejeweled 2 deluxe now that's a real game

Attached: 1507904417069.jpg (700x379, 64K)

Holy shit I literally just 2 days ago reinstalled w10 ltsb for muh games, thank frick i wasn't dumb enough to not dual boot

most of those are mobile games wtf

Awesome, but the drivers for graphics are still less efficient than windows version. I hope this will also improve.

what

sweat

Attached: e3293806083c7a4104ba41a4a4cd380997e84143c33c8e80c4564686e8d3b108.gif (500x436, 1.35M)

Useless unless someone can compile and use it without the botnet DRM program.

>doki doki lit club
Why did they mention this at all? The game is available for linux but not on steam

>into the steam client
OH NO NO NO NO NO
GOG PLS SAVE US

>Steam Machines
dead concept, never going to catch on. why? consider the price of the Playstation 4 Pro. At that price-point you're able to get a GPU and perhaps even a small case. You still need PSU, RAM, motherboard, harddrive... and so on. It'd be more expensive than a console even at massive volume.

f-finally.

Attached: Sadness.jpg (639x595, 78K)

It's open source so you can put it elsewhere

>kill windows
>use windows compatibility layer

Neat
Why would gay ben even care enough to spend resources on this in the first place though?

yes its on github and you can try literally any windows application with it.

Yeah, why anyone thought valve would have the necessary connections to produce fully modular systems with OEMs under/on par with consoles is ridiculous.
The only option would be to release a console, flat out, but that just ruined the entire point especially with steam link existing.

Hmm... I want to be cynical about this, but it sounds really cool on paper. I hope Valve don't just lose interest in it at some point. There would be quite literally no reason to ever use Windows again if muh gaymes worked.

>Once built, the dist/ directory will contain the files which can be distributed through Steam.

So it's very likely useless for anything unless being ran through the botnet DRM software.

Microsoft threat of killing app sideloading on their platform

Next week: Valve releases custom Linux distribution for PS4 and XBox, running Windows games.

Only mentions windows and mac on their website.

>What is reading comprehension?

I guess now we'll see if Microsoft really loves Linux.

Attached: serveimage.png (770x467, 163K)

You have literally no idea what you're talking about.

Week after: Console hardware is ass. Oops sorry, everyone already knows this.

You do also recognize that there's loads of open source software that doesn't actually work on a variety of systems and is exclusive to certain platforms... right? Pretty sure you can even find a bunch of windows stuff open sourced nowadays.
Unless Valve has actually been working with competitors to get this shit out the door properly and available for truly anyone (which seems explicitly contradictory since they mention integrating it deeply within Steam), it's DOA. Not buying into another walled garden.

>

Attached: chrome_2018-08-21_18-30-22.png (543x166, 51K)

By far the most interesting games on there to me are Nier and Tekken. Not even because they're so good, but because they both use Denuvo. That means that Valve have got Denuvo working via this wrapper, which is kinda nuts.

Feel free to show me you running Proton by itself with zero, I mean Z E R O Steam or Valve DRM client botnet active.

Attached: smug.jpg (248x233, 9K)

if they did, they would release directx on linux

It's already assuming you use wine

Attached: 1524835302684.png (427x257, 16K)

Attached: sweat.png.jpg (275x183, 6K)

Do you really think M$ would have the balls to just do that?

Doesn't necessarily mean you must distribute through steam
Run the executable and it'll work without steamworks

>Q: Any plans for macOS support?

>While Wine and Proton work on macOS, there are no plans to support the new Steam Play functionality on macOS at the moment.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAA
THIS ONE IS FOR REJECTING THE LINK APP FOR THE IPHONE, TIMMY

Attached: 1534787056218.png (802x780, 1.07M)

doesn't help how cynical Apple is about real world applications on their desktop ecosystems

Yeah. But I dunno if you're like me, but I rather downgrade quality in options than to boot windows up to play one game.
It will be awesome if it just werks tho.

if only those mcfucknuggets would finally compile their piece of shit steam client in 64 bit, so I didn't have to download every library twice.

why include literal mobile games when the list has actual real games?

Windows S already does that
Adobe and Co will abide releasing store apps, but Gaben is doomed if that happens

It's been 3 years now and it still hasn't happened. They even turned 10 S into just a mode you can turn off with a button for free.

Is Gabe just a paranoid fatty?

sweet*
Sorry I'm dumb

Attached: 842563526b16fe1f8d2b012c76ab79fe5992dba416caab8ec30ef854af3d5c14.png (1005x742, 340K)

if you actually download the file it comes with a linux executable(not wine)

>S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
бaceд

Attached: 7096016.jpg (680x932, 90K)

In that case, we won't even have to kill Windows, because it will have killed itself by doing that.

anyone tried it out yet? how's performance?

Implying they will not do it
Also, Gaben worked on win95 before creating Valve
He knows msoft innards

>While Wine and Proton work on macOS, there are no plans to support the new Steam Play functionality on macOS at the moment.
iToddlers BTFO.

Attached: 0edd6ea34d6cd20e60d3af0f118df19f6db85b8083a57f631c8b51c697b8a898.gif (675x227, 73K)

You're correct, I'm sorry.

Steam is LITERALLY just a web app (it even goes against a lot of windows software standards to shove its own shitty implementations everywhere), he could release it on the store tomorrow if he wanted to. He won't tho because >muh profitz
The funniest part about this all is that nobody who uses linux regularly wants Steam to have any foothold. They have absolutely zero care for producing high quality software that follows well documented guidelines. As we've seen with Steam's launch on Linux in the very first place, that shit was broken garbage.

Hopefully literally ANYONE ELSE is able to come forward with better solutions.

Search dxvk wine on YouTube

>As we've seen with Steam's launch on Linux in the very first place, that shit was broken garbage.

I never had a problem with Steam on Linux, but then again I didn't try it with AMD so its probably YMMV.

DELET THIS

Attached: 1534863861820.png (808x805, 72K)

You can't release a store in the store, afaik, only apps with purchases that are taxes by the host store (Microsoft)

Can't believe my next gaymen build in 1-2 year time will be Linux. It's basically the only thing I don't use Linux for.

Goodbye forever Wangblows!

If they would have done it, why wouldn't they stick with 10 S? That doesn't make any sense.
I think we can all agree the M$ of today is pretty different than the M$ that produced 95 (for better or worse), therefore that also doesn't make any sense.

Not him but here's an example youtube.com/watch?v=dwofodP8jUc

To test every type of game?

So what if I want to pirate games on linux? How is that gonna work?

I hope someone tries NieR on it, I want to see how it'll perform, seeing as the game was broken as fuck even on windows.

You could run the pirated game through the proton runtime

That's a cute image. Mind if I save it?

You should have made it yourself bro, imagine all that valve shekelz and it's super easy and sheeit.

It's in the official launch list so it's confirmed as 100% working by Valve

WHO CARES ABOUT VIDYA WE MAC USERS ARE GROWN-UPS WORKING FOR TOP-NOTCH TECHNOLOGY AND WE DON'T NEED CHILDISH STUFF LIKE GAMES

Attached: tfw macfag.png (813x1402, 193K)

I generally don't view youtube links.

I know steam had issues with GNOME and Unity but I don't consider those Steam issues.

That makes sense, they also said you could try using other games on steam that weren't whitelisted. If that's the case then I'm probably gonna say adios, windows.

I mean they would also have to not make Steam so shitty as it's currently breaking at least a dozen policies not including store within a store policy.
But ultimately you're right it just comes down to profits.

I know it's on the list, hence my question.
If you have played Nier on PC, you probably know about the fuckton of bugs it has, which needs fanmade mods to fix most of them. I wonder if by "supported game" Valve means a game that works the same as it does on windows, or a game that runs without bugs.

>Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Dark Crusade
Aww fuck yes

Sure, go ahead, it's free as in freedom, fren.

Attached: bd8436c1f661c79d0f3819fd602d78c8a501116cae6fcdf994dcc9461d495e4e.jpg (2817x3021, 626K)

You're literally proving macfags right by falseflagging like this. So good job I guess.
Of course the former. It's not black magic, you can't literally make a poorly coded game somehow run flawlessly on a system it was never intended for.

gaymes are literally the only thing stopping me from a complete linux switch at this point. I really hope this takes off and gets continued support. Windows 10 is utter cancer.

Man kys flame warrior