Fedora 28

Is it good for daily use? How is the hardware support for newer laptops (lenovo thinkpad T*80 series)?

Attached: fedoralogo.png (332x328, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/124188/fedora-28-system-freeze-while-copying-large-file/
forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?317916-Minimal-Mate-Installation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've had very good experiences with it as a first distro. Things just werk and are also up to date. Fedora is usually on the list of supported proprietary binaries too, only beat by Ubuntu.

It does right now however have a bit of a fucked kernel. It's been randomly freezing every now and then since 28 and the devs are yet to fix it. I might recommend 27 for a bit, there's basically no difference and you can upgrade effortlessly when 28 is stable.

I think facebook is overrated, i only browse reddit nowadays

do you have a very recent laptop?
Use Fedora

do you care about having the latest version of shit?
Use Fedora

are you freetard?
Use Fedora

if you answered NO to all three, just install Debian or Ubuntu.

>freetards using non-fsf approved distro
???

I can't say anything for new laptops, but I've had nothing but trouble using it as a live USB for old laptops. Mint seems to work better on old stuff.

It's only lacking FSF approval because it includes the mainline kernel in the interest of being compatible with most users' hardware out of the box.

It's garbage as a desktop. Video playback is worse out of the box compared to Ubuntu, etc etc.

Video playback is a known factor for Fedora and there are plenty of guides out there for making it work. Basic video playback can be had with rpm-fusion VLC, niche codecs and formats take a little tweaking just like they would anywhere else.

I use it daily on a laptop and it works extremely well. I have some problems with GNOME and the mindset of its developers but overall it's preferable to Ubuntu.

*rpm-fusion and VLC

Is that so? I got my laptop all ready to upgrade two or three weeks ago but have yet to make the jump from Fedora 27 to 28.
Is it a bad idea to upgrade at this point in time?

>Name one thing you can fix by installing software from the third party repo and not being an incompetent baby
>add ' etc etc. ' and call it garbage to make your whining sound more substantial

I'm happy that they have ARM builds of Eclipse

No, it's because they ship their kernel and distro with blobs
Debian uses a libre kernel by default

it's not fsf-approved because stallman belongs in a loony bin

Debian isn't FSF approved anymore either.
All their approved distros are shit, so I don't use them.

>Debian uses a libre kernel by default
wat? is that it was so shit even with the gpu blob

is that why

you've clearly never used a FSF approved distro before.

Yeah, but Debian is a free distro. It's not FSF endorsed because Debian gives you a choice to install non-free software, if you want/need, and the FSF doesn't like that idea.

Wait, it isn't? Wheres that fucking updated list?

Pretty good, although I'd argue that using the RPM Fusion repos is pretty much mandatory for your average user.
Only stay away from it, if you want a good KDE implementation. All other spins work fine.

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

What a shitheap for "approved" OSes, pureOS wasn't too bad though.

That's probably an additional reason, but the official one is
>Fedora does have a clear policy about what can be included in the distribution, and it seems to be followed carefully. The policy requires that most software and all fonts be available under a free license, but makes an exception for certain kinds of nonfree firmware. Unfortunately, the decision to allow that firmware in the policy keeps Fedora from meeting the free system distribution guidelines.

i used it on my desktop it's great
but doubt it on laptop i'd rather install gentoo/crux/lfs/arch just for messing around unless you want distro that just want get things done

Isn't fedora just usa botnet controlled by the nsa?

Attached: confused.png (741x568, 29K)

I've always had some problem or another getting it to work reliably. Either the bootloader is wonky, or the drivers aren't there, or the software catalog sucks... Just my opinion though.

its pretty good if you like kde plasma 5 since they dont hang around too long on one release of it (looks at kubuntu).

>fedora
enjoy your systemd

It's great but the fact that they're semi-bleeding edge can make it a bit of a pain sometimes. There was a bug in some past kernels that crashed the entire system whenever a large amount of writes were happening, it didn't even need it to be on the OS disk. It could be an external storage writing onto another external storage and it will crash. I lost quite a bit of data to it.

Here's the bug, btw.
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/124188/fedora-28-system-freeze-while-copying-large-file/
It was fixed when newer kernels were released but you need to be aware of shit like this happening.

>The system is running an Intel core i5-8250 CPU
what a cuck

I'd be using Void Gnu/Linux right now if the default kernel didn't shit itself on my hardware.
Fedora Systemd/Gnome likdly has the best hardware support of any distro.

forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?317916-Minimal-Mate-Installation
Here is a nice guide for installing a net/minimal install since the standard workstation is bloated as fuck. SELinux is enabled by default, so is Firewalld, too, albeit the latter needs some configuration.

FacebookOS

Bump

I like it, particularly the XFCE spin. No bullshit and popups. Everything just works and it aids command line muscle memory for when you need to quickly make amendments to an AWS setup as all the command are the same.

I will. Enjoy your broken shell scripts :^)

Just use mpv like everyone else

>vlc & fedora
I had some issues with vlc locking everything up (audio would continue but had to ctrl+alt+F# my way out of it or resort to just restarting) when playing back some files even after getting all the codecs in the world from rpmfusion
solved it by swapping to mpv it just werks now