Remember how Valve recently announced they're working on tools to get Windows games going and working on Linux? Well...

steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

Remember how Valve recently announced they're working on tools to get Windows games going and working on Linux? Well, it's happening, already.

Watch out, Windows niggers. Looks like some Windows games have been ported to/for Linux, already.

How many more Windows exclusives will Windows FUCKERS lose at this rate?

Attached: SteamPenguin.jpg (1200x600, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=How to install Grand Theft Auto V on Linux (Ubuntu x64 14.04) using wine.
youtube.com/watch?v=w4Rl8JKAqXc
gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/
youtube.com/watch?v=TErrIvyj_lU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So I can finally drop Windows to play vidya?

Attached: 1529868436868.png (618x622, 342K)

meanwhile freetards do nothing to promote their system. Based Valve

Good. Just make it 100% before my Windows 7 reaches eol.

Why don't you grow the fuck up manchild.

Mac/bsdcuck spotted.
Sorry gaben only cares for linux and not your shit OS.

As a Windows FUCKER I can honestly say that I don't care, OP. You are gay. Fact.

THIS IS IT GUYS I CAN FEEL IT THIS WILL BE THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Seconding this.
The manchildren have SEVERAL boards dedicated to their hobby they should have outgrown by now, yet they still want to spam everywhere else.

Hate to break it to you. Its only a very select few games. In addition Linux still doesn't have Microsoft office or adobe cs.

No, libre office and gimp are not alternatives. Anyone who works would know this.

I mean Linux is fine for a hobby OS, but why would you install it when you can install the Linux subsystem in windows and run any Linux app you would need. Not that I can think of any.

Man why post this. You must be a needy little pussy. It's ok just cup your wang and play those vide games it's cool.

Linux has turned into systemd, Canonical, NSA cancer.

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain

Good luck getting games like GTA to work on it. There aren't any solutions to getting that to work with WINE.

lmgtfy.com/?q=How to install Grand Theft Auto V on Linux (Ubuntu x64 14.04) using wine.

youtube.com/watch?v=w4Rl8JKAqXc

Is valve going to hire more devs to make wine develop faster?

Didn't they made their own wrapper that has nothing to do with wine and uses vulkan to wrap around directX?

Is this bait?

Attached: 1520776429218.png (650x532, 81K)

this cannot come soon enough. im shilling this everyday

I bet you anything old games will be left behind and forgotten. I'll still need to boot into Windows to play vtmb

Attached: 1529964641604.jpg (577x575, 47K)

someone please email RMS and see what he has to say about this

>their own wrapper
No, and you would know that if you knew how to read.

If anything old games will work better than new games.

It makes me wonder how much will be submited upstream like stuff with directx 10/11/12.

No!

What the fuck I love Valve now.

>Hate to break it to you. Its only a very select few games.
You can always use dxvk + lutris to play almost everything.

Despite steam being proprietary and selling proprietary games, stallman was more or less neutral about steam on GNU/Linux because it would get people to use a libre operating system rather than a properitary one and even possibly get them more into free software. So most likely his stance on steam hasn't changed.
gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

you need to go back

source code:

All I got in response was some incoherent rambling about something called gah-new?

There's a thread already

cool, now i can switch to linux once the support for 8.1 has ended. windows 10 cancer avoided.

Based Valve.
That being said, can I port all of the goodies in a braindead manner for games outside the steam library? I tried setting up wine once, but version updates just broke games at times and PoL was pretty shit at managing the different wine versions.

Just do it already

Praise Gaben!
Drain the Sillicon Valley swamp

Use lutris.

It's not braindead at all given that there are setup guides for it.

>Ported
/v/tard detected
Nobody ported anything
It is a wrapper to run directx on linux

ty DXVK
I'd legit suck the dick of whoever made it

It's a wine rebrand. Why is this being hyped and spammed on Jow Forums again???

You know whats even sillier?
We may get to a point that its better to run games on Intel's intergrated hardware on Linux due to the Linux Vulkan drivers being so much better than the Intel's windows drivers.
Dolphin has already sort of proved this as the GPD Win 2 can emulate Brawl in Linux at fullspeed on vulkan with like 8 Ice climbers on New Pork City smoothly (with Skip EFB access to CPU enabled).
So we will get to a situation where one could be running Windows games and emulators in linux via DXVK/Proton to get better framerates over Windows 10 and its future contemporaries.
Windows versions running better on another operating system but still being better than the OS native version.

Totally
Microsoft stopped caring about legacy windows versions a while ago

due to being able to translate all directX into vulkan we are now in an area never foreseen and far more compatible with literally everything than anyone imagined. directX is basically cross platform.

Everything
You can download everything

As soon as Valve employees get whatever game to work well enough with linux, they enable SteamPlay. But you can also enable something like experimental steamplaay and it will try to install windows game on linux, but without Valve insurance that the fucking thing works.

t. Applefag

So they are also asking people to not use Denuvo. Based Valve.

noob here
is this just gonna be a better, more supported version of WINE, and does it work with non-gaming applications? or does normal WINE still serve a purpose?

wine is already pretty bad out of the box, that's why wine staging exists and Lutris
Lutris configurations are really the key, each game requires specific wine configurations to actually run well
Lutris + DXVK has un-comparable performance and support to wine last year, it literally cannot be compared.

>In addition to that, we've been supporting the development of DXVK, the Direct3D 11 implementation based on Vulkan

So that was it. I saw comment a few months ago that suggested development was so fast that somebody was definitely getting payed to work on it.

oh and to answer it won't make so much a difference with non gaming programs. most of the increase is the fact directX is translated into vulkan in real time. That makes the graphics API irrelevant now.

yea DXVK came from an idea to working in months, it was fucking insane. You could really tell.

Yeah, they hired the guy
>Employing the DXVK developer in our open-source graphics group since February 2018

so anyone in Jow Forums can get a job as long as they do something useful

Backed by a multi billion shekel company integrated into the client meaning it's a one click solution. How is it not a big deal?

Yea but I need Adobe Premiere and After Effects with hardware acceleration.

Because it's still wine, and encouraging centralization around a fucking company is the last thing we should be doing.
Like I get you gamers just want to play hearthstone and don't care about anything else, but linux has a good thing going and doesn't need your middlemen vendors.

>select few games
nah, those are only the whitelisted, tested ones. a ton more work fine

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

>tfw you will share distro with kiddos that dont know what a kernel is but use it anyway because "its faster"
Why do bad things keep happening to me

Attached: 1533057169505.jpg (802x1000, 111K)

it's open source and on github. stop being a faggot and trying to ignore the fact that this is pretty good for everyone. plus you can use proton without steam.

Which OS Dorothy uses?

>Jow Forums
>doing something useful
user...

>my fucking OS needs to be a sekret club for 1337 haxxors

Attached: 1486524656310.jpg (387x488, 39K)

this is like 5+ year old news
nothings changed, Microshaft still owns the gamer market

that's the joke
>>>/reddit

Its the only way Linux will ever be relevant, no one is going to keep porting games to Linux because no one buys them. Its a waste of money for developers. If you look at the Steam Linux game selection is just weeb VNs and shovelware, worse than the selection for OSX.
WINE is the only way you will ever bring a significant number of customers to Linux, and it needs to happen. Microsoft is only going to accelerate their anticonsumer practices from here on out.

pajeetsoft is finished and bankrupt

Attached: 93f0b4662ccbf2c191d9bdcbae352a1f.jpg (762x900, 155K)

Popular old games probably already have a community supplied workaround

t. got Victoria II to run on Linux thanks to some helpful forum posts

Made a thread on /v/ for newfags to FREEDOM can get introduced to Gahnoo+Leenucks

In case anyone wants to join or take a look

Whoops, sorry, haven't linked to other board posts in ages I guess

>>/v/428654525

Three arrows to cross board

>Anyone who works would know this.
Only if you're a literal brainlet. For high-level writing you should always use LaTeX anyway, but for anything else LibreOffice writer is perfectly fine, and in my personal experience is definitely better than Word 2016 (though not quite as good as Word 2010).

LibreOffice Impress is literally better than Powerpoint.

For most applications LibreOffice Calc is just as fine as Microsoft Excel (in my experience it's actually faster sometimes). And if you're trying to extensively use either one of them, you most definitely fall in the brainlet category.

The only possible exception I can honestly think of is if you have highly integrated tools with an Access database and a shit-ton of VBA macros in a medium-sized office environment with technologically illiterate old secretaries (which is still in the "brainlet" category desu, considering how inefficient it is compared to a proper solution).

>Employed DXVK
Holy shit, the rumors were true!
Things are looking might comfy for Linux.

Attached: 1361041532549.jpg (461x538, 67K)

>Q: Any plans for macOS support?

>While Wine and Proton work on macOS, there are no plans to support the new Steam Play functionality on macOS at the moment.

AHAHAHAHAHA

>or anti-cheat systems will be difficult, or even impossible to support.
No point.

Attached: 1511667805152.png (300x300, 121K)

>Linux has turned into systemd, Canonical, NSA cancer.

Ubuntu is getting worse with that but the speed,stability and driver support is impressive.

Won't this just lead to even less native Linux games?

Attached: 1485365589212 (2).jpg (396x503, 47K)

Well ideally games fags would just make the game in Vulkan so we would not have this problem

If the marketshare gets big enough, then it won't be a problem.

It's going to be proprietary shit, right? Fuck valve, fuck LGPL.

>ideally

>wine

please no

youtube.com/watch?v=TErrIvyj_lU

Reminder that SystemD is optional.
Reminder that using Canonical is optional.
Reminder that the NSA encryption algorithm is optional.
Reminder that you don't have to use Ubuntu or its derivatives, even if you want to use steam.
Reminder that if you're going to be playing proprietary games on GNU/Linux you probably don't care about all of the above anyway.

Software being developed PROFESSIONALLY for our operating system of choice is a good thing. Even if some normies start using linux, this is a win, they'll be using at least partially open source software instead of the closed system that is Microsoft's Windows 10.

It allows for a transition. This will encourage gaymer fags that want to ditch Windows but want Windows games to try GNU/Linux. If it helps increase marketshare, devs will see that (the OS a game is bought and run on is collected in analytics) and make native games.

Attached: 1533227472369.png (672x787, 979K)

Because gate keeping and secret club. I agree that it has advantages, but I'd rather have all the normalfags on Linux rather than Windows on any timeline.

The problem is that for Linux marketshare on Steam to even reach 2% it would need at least 210,000 people to switch to it, and lets be honest, that isn't likely.

Attached: 1515764773503.gif (600x366, 822K)

If the rumors of Windows going subscription based are true, it's not really that far-fetched.

So, anyone testing games outside their recommended list? I'm about to try Endless Space 2.

And how does that affect the 96.77% of users already running an activated copy of Windows? Also, don't must gaymers buy OEM keys and shit off eBay?

Could I
>dual boot windows and Linux on my SSD
>Share games on my HDD
Without having to install a Windows version and a Linux compatible version?

Attached: af2.png (741x568, 29K)

No.
It'll simply build a bigger library for Linux of already existing games. With a bigger Library, it would entice more people, especially those stuck on the fence, to make the switch. With a growing userbase of gaymers, game-devs would look into natively supporting newer projects on Linux. As for devs that still refuse to support Linux, at least the users can rely on Steam to run it's own non-native version of the game.

Attached: 1479992812392.png (636x616, 641K)

>Microsoft 365 Managed Desktop (MMD) is a new, per-user subscription service that enables customers with devices that can take advantage of the latest productivity tools and technologies (Device as a Service) in a secure, monitored, and supported IT environment (IT as a Service).
Its a different thing, they aren't charging you monthly or whatever for a Windows license.

I might get it a test run. Obviously there will be some perf penalty but how much?

Things Linux still needs:
>ShareX equivalent
>rock solid DE, gnome and kde are simply shit, so is X
>one click Photoshop, premier pro, etc.
That's literally it desu

Attached: 1517949183632.png (900x900, 358K)

year's almost over

>We recommend you target Vulkan natively in order to offer the best possible performance on all platforms, or at least offer it as an option if possible. It's also a good idea to avoid any invasive third-party DRM middleware, as they sometimes prevent compatibility features from working as intended.
based

Depends on the game.