If valve actually makes a compatibility layer for Linux that actually functions properly and is user friendly(unlike...

If valve actually makes a compatibility layer for Linux that actually functions properly and is user friendly(unlike wine) I will switch 100% to Linux after an entire life of using wangblows my computers. I fucking envy how every app on Linux is in it's own package as opposed to windows where you constantly have to dick around with installation wizards. I also envy how you Linux fags so easily customize your distros to the fullest extent. The only thing keeping me from switching all these years was gaymes/office.

Attached: steam.png (1066x297, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20180815221340/https://www.techspot.com/news/75988-valve-could-working-compatibility-tools-make-gaming-linux.html
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/
lutris.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=RZf2dik9DlM#
steamcommunity.com/games/221410#announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

forgot to post link cause I'm a retard:

web.archive.org/web/20180815221340/https://www.techspot.com/news/75988-valve-could-working-compatibility-tools-make-gaming-linux.html

>gaymes

You think it won't be based off of Wine? Because it makes sense for Valve to completely re-develop Wine from the ground up. "Steam Play" or whatever it is called will simply be Wine integrated into Steam with comparability profiles designed specifically for games, nothing more.

Yeah know it will be based off Wine but what I was trying to say is that they will make a fork of it that is more reliable and easier to use. Maybe they'll just take wine and package it with a bunch of other utilities and pre-configured settings for the end user. I don't care either way as long as it werks.

cool blog

>they will make a fork of it that is more reliable and easier to use.
PlayOnLinux exists.

If you think Wine is difficult to use, then maybe you should just stick to Windows and drink the botnet Coolaide...

>people are hyping the everloving fuck out of Wine: Steam Edition®
What the fuck happened to this board, how did it get /v/ childish and illiterate?

But it doesn't have the funding and backing of the biggest gaymen company around, so hopefully volvo will manage to actually get a proper function fork of wine.

proton is getting money pumped into it and that means that it'll be developed faster. fuck all you faggots who think this is anything close to being bad.

>forced to use steam
Yeah, PRAISE LE GABEN XD

remember steam on linux? it flopped

remember big picture on linux? it flopped

remember "steam os", a linux distro? it flopped

valve can't do shit on linux, forget it

LINUX=COMMUNISM

REMEMBER THAT NOTHING IS FREE!

found the faggot.
github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/
you don't. now go clean your room.

Valve is still, in a way, helping Wine development. If any bugs are encountered by either them or the Linux Gaymers, Proton gets patched and fixes are pushed upstream to Wine.

>using windows because you wanna play games

Retard. Use windows because it's a better OS in general.

this is also why this is amazing for everyone, not just gaming manchildren who will now have more reasons to switch to arch and look l33t with their 6kg laptops.

Did big picture do good on windows even?
I never use it and don't personally know anyone that uses it.

It's the FIRST FUCKING SENTENCE
>Proton is a tool for use with the Steam client
Fuck off back to Jow Forumsvalve you fucking tool

it's fucking open source. it'll take 2 days until someone makes a frontend client that doesn't require steam to be open.

>b.. b.. but someone will fork it!
Yeah, I'll see you in 2 fucking days drone.

are you hurt, user? did valve touch your peepee when you were little? why the fuck do you think that any company at all pumping money into an open source project (that will keep open source) is any bad? plus, they hired the dxvk dev. that's why he's been able to do so much in so little time. because he had money. floss fat fucks need to realize that things take a lot longer if there isn't money involved. also you didn't realize that proton is just wine with a few patches and integrated dxvk. meaning that people using it will also contribute to the development of wine. now feel free to leech your parents a bit more and stink up your basement.

>more reliable
Why would they make a fork when they can upgrade wine?
>easier to use
PlayOnLinux and Lutris are extremely easy to use.

>doesn't have the funding and backing of the biggest gaymen company around
They do. Valve donates to wine and helps with the development, and they also made dxvk. And since Proton is open source and based on wine, anything it has can be used to help wine devs.

>steam on linux? it flopped
?

>not using lutris
lutris.net/

Make this switch. If you need to run other windows programs just fire up a qemu/kvm on your 16 core threadripper system. Even if the game isn't supported by dxvk/wine just add a second gpu and use Looking Glass.
youtube.com/watch?v=RZf2dik9DlM#

Attached: 1534634667536.jpg (896x960, 523K)

yes, you gaymen a lot

It's dropped on steam beta, I'm playing fallout new vegas on linux right now.

anybody got it working on anything other than fagbuntu?

I'm running void linux you schmuck

Yeah, but you'd have to get all these kernel patches and shit to get basic functionality.

YOUR MOM IS FREE
CHECK AND MATE BOURGEOISIE

>Use windows because it's a better OS in general.
Don't use Windows, then?

>kernel patches
You don't need to patch anything if you just use the kernel updater gui utility. It is easier then ever to game on linux, the only excuse you have is not takeing the necessary steps needed to get it running.

Attached: 1534635608336.jpg (921x1200, 165K)

Winfags can spend a whole day disabling telemetry, using registry hacks to reenable the Image Viewer and other hackish stuff, but Linux is "too hard" for them.

steamcommunity.com/games/221410#announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
user I...

Attached: 1376324121966.png (331x251, 82K)

regedits are fucking easy, retard

>(unlike wine)

Attached: 1509152063927.jpg (1170x742, 70K)

>kernel updater gui utility
Were not talking ubuntu or debian here sweetie

So is following instructions, winfaggot.

It pops open whenever I try to turn off my controller (need to disconnect the dongle first to prevent it)

>doesn't understand what a package is

what you receive in the mail

Do you know what a fork is?

Valve PR drones need to get the fuck off my board.

No lie, I would rather fuck around with regedit and group policy than systemd.

Running a debian or ubuntu kernel utility wont always work on other distros.

everything valve tries sucks for the first time

remember half life 1? first version sucked so bad they redid the entire thing

remember when hl2 got stolen and leaked, and it sucked? they redid it

remember when steam first came out and it sucked? it got a lot better and now dominates the market

valve sucks the first time at everything they do. that's when you know you're doing something innovative.

>Do all this shit

Or I just install windows and run the software.

holy shit what, retard?
thats like comparing paint to calculator

When are more episodes of this coming?

>>steam on linux? it flopped
>?

Attached: Steam.jpg (924x637, 111K)

How did it flop if it works fine and is being used by over a million people? That's like saying MacOS Steam flopped.

>a compatibility layer for Linux that actually functions properly and is user friendly(unlike wine)
What's unfriendly about wine except the fact that it does not work with every program that there is?
>dnf install wine
>google wine myprogram.exe
>aha, it works // aha, it won't work, so no need to bother
>wine installer.exe
>wine myprogram.exe
And I'm pretty sure those things nowadays also work with clicking/touching about
that said, a better wine would still be welcome, especially for games, since those probably are what ties young people to MS, so that they won't even complain when they have to eat MS shit later in live for work.

Steampipe

>If valve actually makes
anything the world will fucking end.
They never make anything themselves, at most they will remove obstacles for wine (right now it's a mess and you need to run windows steam client in wine to start games).
Look at SteamOS and all the hype they tried to rise. It was actually debian with replaced background and logo and with no updates.

>What's unfriendly about wine
Having to use the terminal if anything doesn't work by double clicking exe files. This is fixed with winetricks and/or PlayOnLinux.
And honestly PlayOnLinux is just better simply because you can easily use different wine versions and isolate software in different virtual drives.

But wine doesn't really have to be user friendly. It's just a wrapper. It's not meant to have GUI or anything to make it friendlier. Other software is meant to do that.

They can't fix scroll in linux client for like 3 years now. Talk about
>more reliable and easier to use

Is steam even allowed to include a GPL licensed meme with their client?

>opt into beta
>every time steam client restarts it opens the last played game
Fuck off, Valve. Is anyone else having this issue?

>The initial set of supported games that we are enabling with this initial Beta release
Not a single hit kek

Jow Forums is gaming website

GPL isn't meme. It obligates you to release sources of GPL-licensed modules you modify, but you don't have to opensource your own components. They have forked wine and published sources to their fork so it's fine with GPL.

the problem i have with it is that when i care about games i want all my games to work and i want the performance to be high.

if Steam will make any less than 99% of games run at 99% their Windows performance then i won't leave my pirated windows 7.
Ubuntu feels so much more safe and comfy and awesome than windows will ever be, but The OS matters only so much.

What would game engines need to support linux distros so as a game dev you could deploy your game to linux with a single button?

I am hoping that Valve will integrate workshop into it so you can ‘install’ fitting configs at ease from community autists.

i'm using it right now, it's bretty gud

Any linuxfags can tell me how well Dark Souls 1/2/3 run?

No moege, no play.

not a lot, really.

Perfect. 1 2 and 3 are a go with steam.

Attached: Screenshot_20180722_223618.png (1920x1080, 2.39M)

Nice. It's hard to believe how quickly Wine could be transformed. I remember it being absolutely shite even just a few years ago.

Do companies that develop the engines get funding from microshit so they don't allow linux deployment?

Sometimes
Most times they just go with directX, put dotnet in their game, use locked down MS only libraries, etc...

One way or another they step into the trap.

>Yeah know it will be based off Wine but what I was trying to say is that they will make a fork of it that is more reliable and easier to use.
have you not heard of CrossOver? because that's what it is, a commercially-supported version of wine

God fucking damn it.

>still doesn't understand every distro has a kernel updater gui package
Pls just stop already.

Soon. Very soon.

Having to run the Windows client is one of the things that's getting fixed right now.

>Wine is shit
>Big corp messes around with it for a week and makes it useable
WTF I love corpcock now.

use vulkan (or opengl) and not implement windows only drm measures

>You can enable it for all games in the settings.
Trying this right now, oh man oh man, year of the linux desktop finally approaches.
Muh gayms won't be an argument anymore!

Wine is LGPL so shipping it as a library for Steam client is fine.

Latest SteamOS update is from less than a month ago and latest SteamOS beta is from less than two weeks ago.

Valve employs a team of developers who work on upstream Radeon drivers, Xorg, Linux-drm and various game controller drivers.

All of those have been niche successes and have paved the road for Proton.

Proprietary games for Linux before Steam: 3000

>Wine is breddy good but the user interface is for enthusiast
>Big corp makes a fancy ui for it
>Big corp shares fixes because LGPL forces them
all according to keikaku

Ah LGPL pussies

I used to use it. But they bloated it with too much shit now so it ugly. that and it has a jo2key function that lets you remap controls or fucks up and adds another set of controls on top of default controls and makes a few of my games unplayable.

The only time I've used it is when I accidentally click the button while trying to close the window.

>I will switch 100%
no one cares about you faggot

>it will be based off Wine
nigger it IS wine

take that valve cock out of your mouth faggot

half life is over rated

after it auto updates itself just right before you're about to start your software and then takes for ever to restart and then it doesn't werk :^)

what i have in my pants?

>doesn't require steam
It doesn't require it now. Compiled just fine on my machine.

And had you read PAST the FIRST FUCKING SENTENCE you would have seen compilation instructions for using it without Steam.

HEY! I have one question. I don't have to re-download a gaym in steam again if I already have it somewhere else right?

just copy the steamapps/common folder

>Having to use the terminal
>cd /goym/
>wine goym.exe
wow so hard much werk

No, but make sure to copy it over. I had nothing but headaches and shitty performance trying to run off an NTFS partition. Save yourself the trouble.

Wine is already pretty good on it's own, it just requires a little bit more fiddling. It's still helping Wine a huge deal. You have a large corporation forking an open source project into another open source project and every bug they find and patch will get pushed upstream when applicable.

they don't work that well even in windows silly
and not every game studio put effort that it does
and then you have closed source drivers
catch my drift?

i think it's just because dx is easier for them

wine has worked fine for years faggot