Will consumer CPUs ever have >2 way SMT?

Will consumer CPUs ever have >2 way SMT?

Attached: power9.png (2937x1997, 2.99M)

Don't they already?

sure, we want more page table leaks

As in more than 2 threads per core?

Yes.

Good trips. I imagine so. Processors are getting "wider" and more capable all the time, with less and less of the silicon actually lighting up processing a given instruction. Pipelining and speculative execution are hitting walls - both (obviously) security and (less obviously) performance.

Yes. And it'll probably be Zen.

Maybe.
The rumor was AMD wasn't sure what they wanted to do with Zen3, and might diverge the family into two different parts. One consumer core design, and one enterprise design with 4 way SMT.
No one knows what they're really going to do until they officially announce it, but its interesting to think about.
For the time being it doesn't seem like intel will be evolving their HyperThreading technology. Apart from IBM the only other vendor shipping parts with SMT is ImaginationTech in their MIPS line thats a total unicorn.

The issue with supporting more threads per core is that you need even more execution resources that take up die area and draw power. If the core isn't running very highly threaded instructions constantly then all that added silicon is wasted. If you're just running a single threaded workload on a modern AMD or intel core then over 50% of the time the 3rd ALU in the int core isn't even being used, the 4th might as well not be there.
Now imagine designing a high clocking core with high IPC that can support 4, or even 8 threads per core. That is an awful lot of dead silicon when running a serial workload. Modern power gating can negate most of the bad side effects, but its still going to lower yields, and increase costs.

I think 4 way and 8 way SMT is mainly used by cloud hosts just to allow for more virtual servers per rack. My understanding is that SMT doesn't scale well past two threads and for consumer workloads it wouldn't actually do anything useful.

IBM? I thought IBM was Lenovo now? Are you making this shit up?

What the fuck are you talking about?
IBM never went anywhere.

>2 way SMT

IBM only sold Lenovo their laptop division.

Why don't you simply say chinks?

considering intel is dropping SMT completly from anything but their i9 enthusiast line probably not.

Wtf were they thinking though. Why did they put our beloved pcs in chink hands?

consumer PCs are pretty low margin products.

could you go back to /v/?
thanks

HEY GUYS
What if they just made one giant fuckoff core with like a billion execution units and gave this one core a huge number of SMT threads?

>says something that has nothing to do with /v/
>hurr go back to /v/

More than two threads per core wont increase core saturation enough to benefit from. Amdahls law comes into play once servers reach extreme core counts. The speed increase per core added will fall so tremendously that CPU makers will have to make bigger cores and saturate them by improving neural nets, predictive execution and MAYBE, 4way SMT. Consumer CPU's will probaly split off from server hardware permanently at that point with only marginal crossovers of tech.