/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: T60 ISS.jpg (2560x1600, 441K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak
ebay.co.uk/itm/2nd-9-5mm-HDD-SSD-hard-drive-caddy-For-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440p-T540p-W540-w540p/142891562057?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is ~250 for an x250 a good price? Or should I just spend some money on a new hinge, palmrest, and OEM battery for my X220T?

First for Libreboot X200/T400

how is the screen of a x220 compared to an elitebook 2560p? the 2560p looks as if a vampire sucked all of the life out of the display, I hate staring at it.

the tn panel on x220 is truly awful so probably the same, ips one is acceptable

Found a T420 with i7-2640M, 8GB RAM (1333 MHz), 128GB SSD + 320GB HDD for 269e. Battery life is apparently about 75% of the original (I believe T420 original battery life is like 9 hours?). Would it be worth it? I know there's likely better options but I need it by Monday.

Buy it now and add things later.

250 is about average for a decent (B+, A condition) X250.

Can any thinkpad X230 owners tell me what you see in /dev/mem at offset 0x9e000?

What I'm seeing might just be part of the firmware, but I'm very suspicious that it might be a bootkit. I'm working on disassembling it now, it looks obfuscated somewhat.

I was just given a free ThinkPad. I'm a filthy normie who can't computer outside basic stuff like building, overclocking, and Windows use. I want to use this as an opportunity to learn about a new OS. It is on and has been reset to factory settings. It is a Lenovo R61e, if that matters. Where do I start? Recommendations for babby's first non-windows OS?

T430 with keyboard, trackpad, and fhd ips mod

7260 w/ bluetooth enabled for trackpoint modded mouse

Attached: QAOzdDi.jpg (2048x1536, 768K)

Install some ubuntu based distro and play with it, fiddle with things, try to use the command line as much as possible.

Binge watch this youtube.com/watch?v=wBp0Rb-ZJak

Just the hexdump?

Attached: 2018-08-22-143307_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 73K)

What should I do after getting a new battery?

I just bough a replacement battery because the one I have is pretty much dead and wanted to know if there's like a procedure to check a new battery or something like that.

Thanks. That's the same as what I have. Still not sure what it actually does...

Make sure its capacity is the same as what was advertised and set charge thresholds so that it lasts longer.

Should I calibrate it?

Eh I wouldn't think you'd need to if it's a new battery. What model is it for?

You should be arrested for that.

kill yourself

Use Ubuntu MATE. It's simple, and easy to use. Plus out of the box, MATE has a lot of options for a customizable desktop environment. It can simulate the now discontinued Unity, or a Mac-like or Windows-like desktop. Or you can go the old GNOME2 setup.

Either way, Ubuntu is great because it has a large library of software, years upon years of documentation and forums to look up, and it just werks. If you decide you want to go further and experiment more, you can use your Ubuntu knowledge to dive into Debian, which is what Ubuntu is based on.

x230.

>Using Manjaro Budgie aka Manjie instead of the superior Manjaro KDE aka ManDE

Attached: Q0ol-Ylx.jpg (250x250, 12K)

I wouldn't bother

Retard here.
What is this thing on top of the thinkpad in pic related? What is its function? Is it to do with receiving bluetooth/wifi/cellular?
Thanks

Attached: Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220T-2.jpg (1600x901, 196K)

Hey so I was thinking about doing the 768p->fhd upgrade on my x250. Are those ebay fhd screens with right FRUs proper stuff?

I used mate for like four years now, mainly because gnome shell sucked donkey balls and I loved the gnome 2 back in the day.

I'm a bit fed up with mate's bugs, disappearing icons and not maximizing windows etc so I'm gonna jump ship soon. I get those "ubuntu has encountered an error" notifications on every boot

Gonna try either fedora with kde or kde neon. Probably kde neon to see whats the fuzz about

you should take out the keyboard and glue your white one into the laptop ahahahahaha

I hear you about the bugs. But strangely enough, I get them too but nothing happens. Or at least nothing that I notice.

it's just a handle to make switching between tablet mode and regular laptop mode a little easier

Regular antenna

Bought a T420 a while ago and got this from eBay just now
"We are writing to inform you that your GSP order is currently under review for potential prohibited items and may experience a delay of 3-5 business days."
I'm aware that you can't import lithium ion batteries into my country (with some exceptions) but laptops and phones have always been allowed in because the battery is an essential component.
Did the seller fuck up and take the battery out and leave it out separately? They're pretty anal about it and they might decide not to ship it here over that.

Probably, I know it sucks, what country?

I have to get chink batteries labeled as a different thing and even then some chinks don't even offer free shipping on batteries.

Hey Jow Forumsoblins, I was thinking about repurposing another computer I have for an upcoming project but I need 32GB RAM. When I priced that out I found out that it was $350+ just for the RAM upgrade, so even if I reuse most of the parts that I have, it's fairly expensive.

On the flip side, I can just buy a Thinkpad with 32GB of RAM on eBay for $400-600... so I'd definitely rather just do that. I like the look of the W541 but since I'm out of the loop, can you guys 1) fill me in on any caveats and 2) recommend something better, if applicable?

Attached: intelligence and the software development industry Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 7.49.54 AM.png (693x394, 119K)

Ireland.
I can order laptops fine from sites like Amazon. I don't know what the problem is with this seller's T420.

>T420
Found your problem. Next time, buy your dope locally, potatonigger.

>look up local thinkpads
>200 euro more than from the UK
there's a reason i don't buy locally

I was just joking
Good luck with your Eurofag communist bullshit

you say that as though items from outside the US wouldn't get help up in US customs

I haven't personally had an issue of this nature, nor have I heard of any. n=1 etc

>repurposing
reusing

(pls respon)

?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 4.58.54 PM.png (486x100, 21K)

Alright, I snagged one on ebay for that much. I'll give it a shot, see how it holds up and if I hate it, I'll just sell it off and replace some parts on my X220T instead.

also if anyone has any recommendation for something that has super long battery life, I'd love to hear it. But no 12" screens please.

Eh I should have held off on it. Now I just wanna fix my X220T. Guess I'll just throw it on craigslist when I get it. I'm sure I'll make back ~250 no problem since I live in a college town. But I was thinking about it and I'm probably still gonna have to replace the battery, put in an ssd, etc. Not really worth it unless I find it more pleasant to use.

I think I'd rather upgrade to an x270 once that dropped in price enough. But who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with it.

Attached: 1294440496644.png (494x400, 21K)

Where can I order a good second hand Thinkpad online in Germany (perhaps profesional 'refurbished')?
(not ebay/amazon)

Thanks!

It's time

Attached: DSC_2018.jpg (707x748, 124K)

Attached: DSC_20180.jpg (779x749, 215K)

Which caddy did ya get?

then fun part is that some chink caddies are so shit that they burn the hdd

How is this a thing?

Not that poster, but I ordered this for mine:
ebay.co.uk/itm/2nd-9-5mm-HDD-SSD-hard-drive-caddy-For-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T440p-T540p-W540-w540p/142891562057?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Any signs of it being problematic?

i'm not sure, but every one of my friends who uses one of these got their fucking hdd fried in a caddy. i don't have this issue because i don't buy laptops with optical drives.

Is it just me or is the T450s trackpad not very good? The button layout is perfect but when I move over it very slowly it'll skip quite a few pixels, making it pretty imprecise. Is there another kind I could swap in somehow?

Attached: 2015-11-22-product-10.jpg (1100x653, 506K)

check your display refresh rate. is it 60hz?

Yep

try different combinations of cursor speed and trackpad speed

Yeah, nothing really changes. I've messed with these settings a lot in the past to try to get it working better. I'm guessing it's just a hardware issue? I hope it's not just how all T450 trackpads are.

whats so special about thinkpads?

Whats not special about ThinkPads.

but what makes them special?

Fuck I really really want a t450s but I can't find any with the fhd panel.

>trackpad
>T*** "s"

son....

I am going to start CS uni. I don't plan on spending too much so 600€ is my limit. I am from Europe, Slovakia if it matters, and someone on laptop thread said I can get some student deals, but I wasn't able to find anything else than the official ones on lenovo site which seem to be US only. I just need a reliable device to carry me through uni and internships.

pen and paper + the cs lab kiddo.

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

Keep looking. Got mine for ~300 USD refurbished a while back and it's been great, the FHD is beautiful.

I don't need the overpriced Applel™ Macbook™ Air™ thin-ness. Still light as fuck and packs in with textbooks just fine.

My handwriting is sadly absolutely terrible so even without laptop I am going to use phone and BT keyboard.

Honestly, in lectures, pen and paper.

I'm starting my 3rd year, a laptop has been wholly unhelpful for studying. I've only bought one now because I have my dissertation to write and over an hour commute each way.

>$350 for 32gb of ram
lmao I hope you aren't buying new ram dumbo, lol

You get what you pay for. Just search for a more expensive model; I got mine from a local seller and it's definitely of higher quality than generic ones such as that you linked. The difference is:
>mine (ie the pricier model) has a dedicated SATA III chip onboard
>doesn't have the distracting blue LED
>the case is metallic, have the same metal twang when knocked like genuine thinkpad DVD drives
Which means the drive has less chance of burning up as the heat disperses better.
For a start, look for the ones where the SATA connector is blue-colored instead of generic black ones.

And just discovered that these slot's designs are standardised, I can replace the bezel on the caddy with the genuine thinkpad DVD drive so it fits in better. That little black knob on the other end is compatible as well.

Can't find a genuine one, whatever I guess, I'll give it a shot and see how it does. As long as I'm not thrashing the SSD like a retard, I'm betting it'll be fine.

Should I put a Nerv or Fox Hound sticker on my x61?

My x230s Internet randomly died and now I have this error
>Wireless capability is turned off
What do?

Hit the hotkey to re-enable wireless.

Flip the switch on and off

why not a 430?

I have, it does nothing

You should grow up.

fuck off boomer

lol... well, can you link me to 32gb ram compatible with a Ryzen 1700? didn't realize it was so much cheaper used.

By the way, how does a 2nd drive impact battery life?

My plan is to use a 2nd, smaller SSD (120GB) for storing all of my work on. The SSD will be cloned routinely to make backups in other locations. It's mostly Office documents.

>buying ryzen
>needing special ram
lmao, I'm glad I didn't fall for the meme lol

Nerv

Attached: world's best mom.jpg (500x679, 77K)

mgs and evangelion are literal boomer era shit.

kys and as the other user said, grow up.

a toshino kyouko

>Buy a new battery
>It has sanyo cells
FUCK!!!!

Attached: 1519292360515.jpg (720x762, 34K)

>stop liking what id dont like

fuck off boomer

Is the ThinkPad 11e 5th gen any good? I really just need a small laptop that won’t take 10 minutes when I try to use ctrl+f on PDFs with 500+ pages like my current laptop. Should I shop used and get an X250 instead?

Does anyone know the FRU for the good x230 keyboard? I think I got the shit model...it's fucking garbage like the x220 one from chicony.

non backlit liteons

$900, I'm going to be learning how to program with it. I really want a big enough SSD for dual booting into Linux. I was looking at the E585 on Newegg. But I don't know if I'd be getting the best value.

>going to be learning how to program with it
Literally anything that turns on.

they are solid so they are safe to carry around in your backpack, they are very cheap (used) and have decent specs to use them as work machines, there are also meme reasons but I don't care about that

I know, but I'd also like something good for the money. Did you see that whole sentence about value?

>can't find a t43p

Attached: 1471756553961.jpg (602x709, 67K)

It's shit.

I am not exaggerating when it comes to my handwriting. If I really focus on it it's pretty acceptable but I cannot keep up with the lecture that way. I HS I used tk to just listen as that would usually suffice. Then I asked if I could use keyboard and I couldn't be happier. I am pretty good at typing so I was able to fully focus on the teacher and type while doing that. Then at home I would just rewrite it. I am pretty proud when it comes to my note. Learning for big tests is so easy with proper notes.

I've been posting this for a while, just now I decided to take pics of some of my memepads
Full list:
>Latitude E6440 with 1600x900, AMD gpu
>Elitebook 8470p 1600x900 almost mint condition
>Elitebook 8470p 1366x768
>Elitebook 8470p 1366x768 8 gigs of RAM, SSD as boot drive and ultrabay storage drive. Was 90 bucks.
>T60 fukken mint. I literally can't find another one like it on ebay. Needs a 64bit CPU and libreboot installed.
>T61 first memepad ever, was main computer for 2 years, 2013-2015. It was also my first real memepad bargin, 20 bucks w/shipping after a partial refund.
>T500 with a cracked base near the hinge, I'll fix it eventually. And flash libreboot. 1680x1050
>X200, mint condition. I love it but putting any wear on it would be sad. LED display
>X200 LED Somehow found another one in 99% as good condition as the first
>*DEAD* X201 RIP was my daily driver from 2015 to 2017.
>T420 1600x900
>T530 1600x900 with nvidia
>X220T multitouch. Needs a repaste
>X200T LED, single touch, near mint condition
>X200T LED Also pretty flawless
>T400 CCFL
>T400 CCFL
>X200s, needed a decent amount of work, including a mobo swap to get it working again. 1440x900@50 fucking hertz why. Still really adorable and I really like it for some reason. Can get 7 hours on linux with a 9cell easy.
>X200T CCFL
>X200T CCFL
>*main computer*X200 CCFL. SSD + 8 gigs of ram.

Attached: DSC_0008-compressor.jpg (5248x3936, 3.17M)

Si i tried upograding my t60 cpu to a 64bit one and now wont boot =(, i was supposed to update the bios first right? =(