Android confirmed biggest botnet, iOS pretty good

digitalcontentnext.org/blog/2018/08/21/google-data-collection-research/

>While the public has been focused on the ongoing Facebook and Cambridge Analytica scandal, Google has largely avoided public scrutiny about its data collection practices despite having the ability to collect far more personal data about consumers across a variety of touchpoints. There have been efforts to document individual practices by Google such as their efforts to circumvent controls on Safari. More recently, an investigation by the Associated Press revealed that Google continues to track location data even after a consumer has turned off the setting. While these research efforts have been important to the public policy dialogue, no research exists which looks at the breadth and depth of data collected by Google.

>In “Google Data Collection,” Professor Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor of Computer Science at Vanderbilt University, catalogs how much data Google is collecting about consumers and their most personal habits across all of its products and how that data is being tied together.

Attached: 1514096586265.png (1130x671, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 1523981134675.png (1072x648, 34K)

It's not a surprise m8
apple isn't competent enough to do it even if they wanted to

Based Apple, only tracking me every 4 minutes.

I'm seriously considering jumping ship for the first time ever...

Attached: 1532150820134.png (1049x655, 102K)

Librem 5 doesn't have this problem.

4 requests per hour
60 minutes per hour
60 / 4 = ?
helped you do t he word problem, maybe you can figure it out from there

>ad company collects more data than a hardware/software one
Boi, I am shocked.

>Google damage control
>It's not so bad goyim, haha what did you expect?

Does lineageOS remove that stuff or is it built in?

40 requests per hour on an idle phone, 35% of which are location requests
shiiiiiieeet, fuck off Jewgle

Dude, what? I am a fagphone/homOS user.

The issue with Android is that it's shit and the hardware is even more shit, not their obvious data mining. You have to be an idiot to think the shit on your phone is somewhat private, unless you try very, very hard.

The point is, that motherfuckers using Google stuff shouldn't be surprised a company that literally makes money with data, would show a bigger interest in theirs. It's an obvious cost/benefit decision the user has to make. I'd say it makes sense when it comes to superior free services like their search or pictures but doesn't make too much when it comes to OS, given how Android isn't cheaper, despite you paying with your data.

>fagphone
stopped reading. stop trying to "fit in" so hard.

>not using the lingo the kids use to make them feel more comfortable

>unironically cucking yourself with deprecating humor just to try to fit in

yikes

>he doesn't run lineage + microg

Attached: 122342343.jpg (2000x1500, 428K)

>the ironing

Just gonna leave this here...

hongkongfp.com/2017/06/08/china-uncovers-massive-underground-network-apple-employees-selling-customers-personal-data/

lmao, consumers are truly BTFO

Attached: 1514926830129.jpg (815x1237, 478K)

>used an internal company computer system to gather users’ names, phone numbers, Apple IDs
Oh wow.

Seriously, what did you expect?
It's not like Google has been hiding it's data collections.

>It's not like Google has been hiding it's data collections.
no mate, these are the data collecting they are showing, but there has got to be even more they are hiding.
>being this naive

If you have GAAPs installed, this stuff is baked in

What about if you have microg or whats it called?

There probably is, but what about it? Are you going to use something else?

>locked bootloader
>jailbreaking has been broken for some time
>no file manager
iOS pretty good indeed, yeah. By the virtue of not being able to alter any of these mechanisms. I refuse to believe some of the posters here aren't just visiting from /v/.

>>no file manager
wrong kiddo

If you defend this you need to LEAVE

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 18K)

Apple probably collects just as much data, but in a more optimized fashion so that it isn't easily noticeable. Google flaunts their "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" bullshit, probably to get people to sperg out and thus reinforce Googles ideals among the public.

Well?

part of the Snapchat source code leaked because it was included with the app and some guy copied it using a file manager.

this is baseless garbage. there is nothing backing this dumb claim that tries to even out the espionage when the google data collection is almost ten times as much as apple.

Attached: prism-slide-51.jpg (700x525, 85K)

I really need to get a phone without a locked boot loader. I hate that at&t did that to my S5.

>part of the Snapchat source code leaked because it was included with the app and some guy copied it using a file manager.
Yeah. That's an iOS file manager... Do you even hear yourself? And forget that, it's only the beginning of iOS issues.

you said there was no iOS file manager and I said there is. what is your point now?

There is indeed a big discrepancy in frequency and volume. No one is disputing that. But neither of those two measurements tell you exactly what (and how much of it) is being transfered. Like I've mentioned, Google just doesn't care about being discovered, so they might not compress data, or they collect a lot more less useful data. Coordinates are a tiny amount of data as far as volume is concerned. Just because it updates less frequently doesn't mean it doesn't write to a file every minute and uploads said file every 15 minutes. The same goes for other telemetry. You don't need much data to ruin someone's life. I know about Eulalie.

>But neither of those two measurements tell you exactly what (and how much of it) is being transfered.
the study in OP is not from them TELLING us. it is measured by a third party.

Your shit phone won't be out until 2019 and by the time it's released, it'll be a low end phone by 2020.

Good thing I don't have google services on my pajeetdroid

>you said there was no iOS file manager and I said there is. what is your point now?
Jesus fucking Christ... Let me spell out what you said:
>part of the Snapchat source code leaked because it was included with the app and some guy copied it using a file manager.
This isn't a file manager apo on the iOS available on the App Store. Nor is it something anyone other than security researchers close to him can get their hands on.

>android without google botnet
no such thing

nokia 105 doesn't have this problem

>Google.com/takeout
>500mb some uni project that required me to usw googledrive
Feelsgoodman.jpg

Android != Google play service

>he thinks all the espionage is from google services

can confirm
there's about 200-300 of similar requests per day

Attached: botnet.png (986x876, 64K)

cia...

microg is botnet-free

That slide is from early 2012.
They tried persuading Apple into adding a backdoor and they were projecting that it would be ready around October 2012, hence there's no exact date for them. I don't know the exact details, but it didn't happen.

Yeah I totally believe you

A lot of this is simply because Apple controls the background processes on iOS, whereas on Android anyone can make a background process that hangs around.
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of that data wasn't even coming from Google owned apps.

Symbian was much more open than these fucking OS's

I doubt they'd run a test on anything but stock systems.It would lead to some pretty inaccurate results.I ran some tests of my own back when the Samsung Note II was released. I set my Ubuntu computer up to share wireless networking and connected my Note to it and sniffed the traffic for a couple of hours.The data in OP's image seems about right. I also watched as my bookmarks from Dolphin browser were hoovered up by Google. I was naive enough to think using another non-Google browser would give me a bit of privacy, boy was I wrong.

Stock systems still have a lot of non-Google apps on them.
And you're assuming you know how the subsystem of Dolphin was written.

Unused network bandwidth is wasted network bandwidth.

>And you're assuming you know...
Oh, absolutely. Most people back then had no clue as to how invasive the Android system can be.What I saw was enough to motivate me away from Android with GAPPS, though.

A majority of google's farming is for Google Maps' real time traffic data.

>tfw treadmill runs android
Am I running a botnet?

Attached: watermelon.jpg (1000x1048, 399K)

I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually vouched for this unironically.