Where can I find a light bulb that can last even a fraction of this one Jow Forums?:

Where can I find a light bulb that can last even a fraction of this one Jow Forums?: youtu.be/jx1d3j1IEoI?t=33

Attached: 1508462148683.png (1280x720, 538K)

they don't make em like they used to

made in amerricuh

we need some fucking laws against planned obsolescences.

Why would they make the everlasting lightbulb when they could sell you new ones every year or so?

Why cure AIDs or cancer when they could keep selling the the temporary fixes?

Looks like it would lit up a room worse than a candle. Why are the reporters on these things always so overly dramatic too?

buy a vacuum chamber machine for a million dollars and make your own with glass, steel and tungsten filament
only one in a billion will last that long though unless you have a 100 step list of QC standards and spend 8 hours making each bulb

you can thank the Phoebus cartel for that

Buy LED or GTFO

*cracks* they just don't make 'em like they used to *sips* back when we didn't have all this chinese junk *sips*

Attached: 1530978999353.png (380x349, 70K)

you can make your own that'll last forever with graphite in a pencil. It won't be energy efficient though

>get an incandescent bulb
>dim it real low
>enjoy your bulb lasting for decades producing barely any light with the worst efficiency possible

It's much cheaper in the long run to buy new bulbs

I have an early Philips LED bulb I was given as a promo back when they were new, made well, and cost $35. It's 10 years old, still going strong, and outlasting plenty of cheapo modern LED bulbs.

The newer ones appear to fail mostly from shitty Chinese manufacturers using too little solder to hold one or more of the LEDs to the board. You can tell this is how it's failing if it flickers or is finicky before it no longer works. These can be fixed pretty easily if you can pry it apart and resolder the loose LEDs.

i thought incandescent bulbs didn't last as long as florescent ones

You electrify a wire in inert gas so it emits half a candle's worth of light like that. It'll last for a good while.

And then you just hand it off to the next guy who extrapolates it must be 150 years old and not replaced from a box of bulbs after 50 years or something.

> The newer ones appear to fail mostly from shitty Chinese manufacturers using too little solder to hold one or more of the LEDs to the board
That can happen, but you start to realize these manufacturers aren't actually very shitty when you consider you can buy these things for $1-3 shipped, that the damage might only have happened in transit, and the vast majority of them actually still are fine.

And they might otherwise actually be better than the 10 year old $35 bulbs, too.

Basically this should only upset people who get fucked by local resellers that peddle the same bulbs for $20-30.

This bulb was created back when they had to be done by hand. The filament is three times as thick as the shitbox bulbs we get and actually has an inert gas inside it. Even the glass was custom made at the time. This is the difference between skilled labor creating a product and mass production.

At pretty much any general goods store
all light bulbs will last at least a fraction of that one OP

you just had to choose the record setting longest burning light bulb in existence to ask if there are any other bulbs in the world that don't burn as along as that one?

They didn't, they also didn't cost nearly as much and weren't a fucking HAZMAT situation if you needed to dispose of it.

I think there is more to that bulb lasting that long than just high quality craftsmanship.

The fact that it never turns off means that the hot filament never contracts and expands again, essentially never moves. its in a high up outlet that can only be reached by ladder, so it never gets bumped or jostled either.

Its essentially a best case scenario for a light bulb like that, and yet it still doesn't produce enough light to be realistically useful.

I bet even in the dead of night that light bulb only gives off the faintest of faint glows that doesn't do jack shit to illuminate the room

>have been turned off like 3 times only (filaments are weaker at startup, when they receive current while they're cold)
>4W
>because the shitty filament's resistance increased over the time
>0.3% of initial luminosity
>protected against current variations
This lightbulb may shine since 100 years ago, but it's bullshit

If you dim them, they last for ages, but produce barely any light and still consume a lot of power

I understand why western brands got together to agree on planned obsolescence but why the fuck did the chinks agree to it? Why don't some of these chinks make and sell "Forever Lightbulbs" and take market share from Philips, GE lighting and the other western brands?

it's not planned in case of chinks
the stinky chinky would rather get a little money now than lots of money later

it would cannibalize their manufacturing of GE and Phillips light bulbs

To make it cheaper than any other chink brand, quite simply.

>but why the fuck did the chinks agree to it?
Because the 0.0001 Lumen LED and other devices aren't usually desired except as power indicator LED on devices and such.

And no, we don't need the incandescent variant of that either, no matter if it lasts 100 years under optimal conditions [and without actual thorough proof that it lasted that long, it's only a plain guess that nobody ever took a second light bulb and screwed it in].

WHY CONTAIN IT

>Where can I find a light bulb that can last even a fraction of this one Jow Forums?
Okay, for starters it's not very bright which probably means the heat if the filament isn't as high as you would expect from most modern incandescent bulbs.
Secondly, it is the heat/cold cycles that kills those bulbs, if you just keep it on then it won't blow so long as the power is stable at least.

>china
>innovation

Because the Chinese simply bought the Philips lighting division instead.

There are reasons they don't make bulbs last long, and it's not just to make money.

A longer lasting filament needs to be thicker. That means less light output and more heat energy losses.

Not true.
The reason it lasts so long is that it always stays on.
It never cools, so its structure never fractures.
Your lights would last just as long if you never turned them off.

OK Alex

Attached: Screenshot_20180823-002236.png (1439x2164, 814K)

The secret Mr.Upside down devil is that you have to choose between efficiency and durability.
This lamp last a lot, but it eats a lot of power by the light it gives.

But they also die when air get in and they might have shitty sealing to save on costs and make you need more of em.

>goldman sachs has the final word on research

Yeah one thousand years, but fucking 20% efficiency

Fine digits, but be aware that lightbulb throws about as much light as phosphorescent algae.