Valve: Playing Steam Play games on Linux will officially be reported to publishers as Linux sales

>Update #1: I spoke to Valve earlier, about how buying Windows games to play with this system counts, they said this:

>"Hey Liam, the normal algorithm is in effect, so if at the end of the two weeks you have more playtime on Linux, it'll be a Linux sale. Proton counts as Linux."

gamingonlinux.com/articles/valve-officially-confirm-a-new-version-of-steam-play-which-includes-a-modified-version-of-wine.12400

You know what this means, right? Once publishers and developers see a radical uptick in new sales reports from Linux users, it may very well get them curious about this new emerging Linux gaming market just waiting to be tapped into.

Attached: top__id1534346355_343178.jpg (1012x383, 50K)

There's no gentoo package called "Linux gaming market". What is this new fag thread?

Oiiii yes! My heart is ready!!!

Attached: 1532650037266.jpg (1920x1080, 160K)

its a good move its prob because valve know that win11 will lock down the os and only let you buy stuff from windows store and be a "forced free update" and if you pay a enterprise sub you can regain the ablity to install any thing you want on PC.

I could totally see us all gaming on Linux in 5 years depending on how cancer windows is.

apparently win11 is 2020/21.

Linux gaming market XD

B A S E D
A
S
E
D

G A B E N
A
B
E
N

Attached: maxresdefault-4.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

Why waste so much time and resources on an operating system that has 2% market share?

also lets be realistic valve doing stuff with PS3 with portal2 and the whole steam machine shit is just them trying to increase the sale value of steam to Microsoft. doing a move like this makes steam more valuable to Microsoft because it means valve is more free and costs more to lock down. xbox is doing shit I bet you many dollaroos that Microsoft is talking about buying steam I know it would piss people off but gabe is a old man eventually he wont care and just want billions of actual cash to give to his 2 kids.

at some point he wont care about his legacy/reputation imo.. or maybe not shrugs.

Yeah, I'm sure the 0.5% of people using steam on linux are going to create a radical change in sales reports.

because is free while microshill is not retard

delet this

like if he sells steam before he dies he gets to die knowing he paid for collage education and life long apartment bill in a nice city for the next like 30 generations of his family.

If this thing gets good compatibility i will switch to linux

Starting to get a little sweaty there, Nadella?

Attached: satya2.jpg (1280x720, 49K)

realistically a retard on its family will waste the money on shit and get killed

I still can't use Linux.

Even though I no longer depend on Adobe products, I still depend on MS Office. The alternatives aren't quite as feature rich. I've tried Libre Office etc, but yeah, they tend to butcher the formatting when opened in MS, even if it's subtle shifts or pictures not lining up correctly. It's a real shame.

>waste so much time and resource
>take established free software projects (wine, ubuntu), make a few unmaintainable tweaks here and there, give it a completely different name taking a massive shit on the developers who've worked on the project for years
>3 weeks' worth of developer time
>Linux cucks claim you're saving linux on the desktop despite actually doing fuckall
Doesn't sound like such a bad (((corporate))) idea

Why is making something that's free better a problem for you?

Because you're moving goalposts like a good little gaming addicted cuck

Just export as PDF bruv

>fork product
>rebrand it
>zero recognition for original developers
so... this is the power... of gpl...

I'd like to interject for a moment... its GNU/Proton.

Attached: rms_smug.jpg (800x636, 109K)

>Company sees people are playing on Linux with Proton
>Should we do a native Linux verison sir?
>Nah they got Proton, no reason to put in extra work

Attached: 1473934635493.png (554x400, 66K)

they better hurry the fuck up making all the weaboo JRPGs loonix compatible

he prob already has 5billion that's enough to rent a apartment for life and send kids to school for like 10generations if they have like 2-3 kids I think. if he sells steam for like 20b that's probably enough.

if they totally retarded might not last as long but that's talking about 100-200 people that are his spawn some might fuck up but not all of them.

WINE is LGPL, dxvk is BSD-like.

my reading from all of this is that the whole "getting your game ready for proton" thing will be a dev tool they can use to test if it works
so if all this works decently well, many games will run in proton, supported by the devs, instead of the devs making a new binary for linux
I don't see it as a bad thing at all, but I don't see it as a way to invite more devs to create linux ports

All decent JRPG already run on gnu/linux, via console emulators.

5 generations is just 50people if they all have 2 kids btw. you can live for 90 years on 100mil each. even if your retarded.

My university will only accept MS Word formatted documents.

i'm not paying 70 $ for the cucksole release, and neither am i pirating it

If it works fine under proton it won't even matter that its not native

Pirating DRM content is the correct and moral way.

What are you on about. Valve has been directly funding DXVK and is the only reason it when from conceptual to fully functional in a matter of months. Wine is LGPL so their fork is still OSS, it's not like they're even attempting to take credit, They've also already pushed a lot of their work to wine which makes it better for everyone overall. I don't get how that's doing nothing but you're just shitposting so it doesn't matter.

In what shithole is a place like this called university?

Not a university. Glorified high school at best.

use open office its like got .doc 2007 support or some thing the newer ones recognize it and so do all online forms that only accept word.

If you send it to them in a readable PDF format, which any respectable university should accept in 2018, how could they possibly care what app the document was created in?

Bullshit. Some even require files sent as pdf, since they're not editable as easily.

It's a top 20 in the UK. They also don't accept (Mac) Pages files.

Kek'd

universities died with youtube and podcasts. just walk out and never return.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Really? That seems quite unbelievable. Even my old online high school accepted PDF files.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1534971823995.jpg (300x300, 34K)

Japanese people don't care about freedom, they care about EROTIC GAMES.

It runs it through anti plagiarism checks, so it might be a caveat of that software.

Lecturers especially stipulate everything must be an MS Word file. They really don't like fucking around, and they use the commenting features in it to provide feedback. We've also had assignments where we had to use commenting features to annotate other's work in a feedback process.

just use plain text then

They started funding DXVK recently? I thought I noticed doitsujin had started being less of a cunt on the issue tracker - explains a lot. He's even had to take down his 'fuck AMDVLK' screed now

Top 20 for what? Solent's top 1 for hairdressing

Microsoft pays schools to use their products exclusively to develop user familiarity

What goal posts? Are you making arguments up? This is better for Linux, pokes other OSs to act, generating better products and tools for all of us. Are you that bad at video games that you feel you're missing out? Take a blender course or something

fuck paying for digital
my blu ray drive that i use to burn pirated games onto blu rays wouldn't work on linux and i couldn't find and drivers for it

... which runs on Linux minus GNU.

OH NONONONO

>Solent
Oh dear.

I attend at Sussex. It's #25 now overall, down from 19 last year. Still #16 for my field.

Hi fellow outdated technology enthusiast, it's great seeing another one of us here. Recently I was trying to get my tape player to run on linux, if you ever find any tips and tricks regarding this, by all means fax them to me.

Linux is a kernel.

Certainly not top in Computer Science/ Information Technology.

Jesus, just send them a manuscript.

Ahh yup, Blu-Ray, the pinnacle of media storage.

Attached: 1527903714076.png (162x188, 33K)

How long until someone creates 50000000 virtual machines of Ubuntu and installs a bunch of games using this Wine ripoff so that we will finally get native Linux games?

Importrant questionnaire:

does Steam Play can install Adobe Photoshop CC 2018? hmmmm??

Microcuck on damage control in this thread and on arr pcgayming

mmm yeah it will just totally work

(EXCEPT THERE ARE NO GRAPHICS DRIVERS ON LINUX)

All GNU software can and will be purged. Stallman's "operating system" is a fucking failure

Microsoft employs a lot of people. They feel the need to defend their company, so they can avoid the cognitive dissonance of releasing operating systems that people hate and slurping data for US "intelligence" agencies.

Stockholm syndrome detected

the day of the rope for anyone too lazy to vulcan cant come soon enough

You should look for memrise first.

>Adobe Photoshit
>Adobe

botnet, do not install adobe products

You can get rid of GNU and you can get rid of the fat man but you can't get rid of free software.

>They feel the need to defend their company
Why defend that which has no value?

>zero recognition
>made multiple contributions to one of the original projects
>literally paid the dev of another one to work full-time for half a year

cringe

>mfw normies will start to join linux soon

FUCK OFF

>All GNU software can and will be purged.
>delete gnu
>can't compile linux
>now you're stuck with bsd's clang that's more of diarrhea than a compiler
it will never be purged, however much your autistic sperg self hates it, gnu is crucial in a lot of scenarios.
don't even dare to mention busybox. that shit is made for routers and not people.
get out of my sekrit klub

Yeah I'm sure there's going to be a radical uptick, what with the 0.49% market share and all.

Attached: file.png (946x651, 101K)

>NEW IS GOOD
>OLD IS BAD
Only thing that can beat optical discs for long term burn and forget storage is tape, and tape has its own problems.
I trust my discs to still work in 20 or 30 years a lot more than I trust my external hard drives or flash drives to still work in 5 or 10 years.

Attached: hvd.jpg (616x347, 31K)

@67267441
>LMAOOO MARKET SHARE LOWW HURR
yeah because people don't use windows just for windows games and they won't switch to linux just because they can now.

What is the matter with more Linux users? Wouldn't that be a positive thing?

Attached: 1534386752344.jpg (259x194, 11K)

>win10 -
>win7 +
based.

Attached: 1518076369643.png (709x636, 167K)

windows has windows store and valve doesn't want to be reliant on a competitor.

Attached: stanger.jpg (800x799, 213K)

>le vidya is for le kids meem xDDD
end yourself

>normalfags stick to Ubuntu, Mint or Manjaro
>autistic fags stick to Debian, Arch or Gentoo
I don't see a downside with it.

>radical uptick
inb4 it just goes from 0.5% to 0.7%

>>Nah they got Proton, no reason to put in extra work
at the very minimum this will make them more likely to test patches/updates under WINE/proton before deploying them
also increases the chance of a native release for sequels/spinoffs

lmao no it wont

>discs to still work in 20 or 30 years a lot more than I trust my external hard drives or flash drives to still work in 5 or 10 years.
but a hdd is just several discs on top of each other in a protective case
flashdrives i get, long term unpowered nand flash probably won't end well but hdds? unless you are talking about the new helium ones you best be baiting

>lmao no it wont
>push a patch that breaks WINE/proton compatibility
>users complain on your steam sub-forum
>if you ban them, remain silent or publicly refuse to fix it someone will start a steam curator group to blacklist your company
lmao yes it might
inb4 no one would be that petty as to tag every single game in the store see: 30fps/lock and denuvo/drm curators

How fucking delusional can someone be to think there are droves of fucking Linux users just waiting to start spending money on games and be forced to use steam?

Attached: Steam.jpg (924x637, 111K)

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few people that would switch from windows if every game is playable on linux. I'm one of those

This. Fucking this.

One of the five. It's a pleasure to meet you

Sigh Gabe is old. Half-life 3 never. What's even the point?

Be the change, user

Valve feels threatened. They believe that MS is aiming to turn Windows into a truly closed platform like the Xbox. All Valve is really doing is planting a seed. The compatibility isn't that great right now and the performance hit is very noticeable. They want all these gaps to close and for game devs to cooperate, so when Windows 10 finally turns into iOS in a few years the gamers will have already jumped ship.

You just proved my point. You already give them money so this changes nothing. If you have to switch OS's just one game you want to play, there is no reason to run it on linux in the first place.
Yes that obviously means it varies per person, but the point is valid.

Microshaft would get murdered by the enterprise sector and/or anti-trusted into oblivion by the EU if they attempted to make all versions like 10 S.

I am not trying to troll but I just want to clarify something.

What is the point of suffering performance and compatibility issues instead of just running games natively on windows?

I would really like to build an ubuntu rig but it just doesnt make sense to me.

>2015
Windows 10 will be forced app store only!
>2016
>2017
>2018
>2019

Wrong.
Valve only wants you to be forced to use their platform and their platform only. When you run linux you are forced to use steam. When you run this proton/wine shit you are forced to use steam. You are literally delusional to think they care about anything other than forcing you to use THEIR walled garden.

Windows 10 S is forced app store only