Is it possible to learn programming "on the go" wihout spending countless hours practicing making the console output...

Is it possible to learn programming "on the go" wihout spending countless hours practicing making the console output numbers or strings? Like I don't expect to be able to make Half Life 2 right away or whatever the fuck but I would feel more motivated if I could be learning at the same time as doing something that is actually practical. It doesn't have to be big but I just want to interface with the computer at least and not just fuck around with muh data types that are too abstract for me to really understand or care about when all I can do is count numbers.

Attached: 648e1c6ef538052ef352654afb165b5293d65373.jpg (540x356, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jollo.org/LNT/home/fanfare/pb/info.html
jollo.org/LNT/home/fanfare/pb/
docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you can't make half life 2 by yourself, you need something called A TEAM

That isn't the point
What I am saying is that whenever I searh for beginner programming tutorials all it teaches is how to to do arithmetic in standard IO forever and I have no way to progress from this. I find every time I want to start learning programming that I come up against the same roadblock: so you have loops and variables and arrays and data types. So what now? When you learn how to use tools like autocad, for instance, you learn to draw a line and how how to move/stretch/trim/chamfer/fillet, you learn layers and you are basically ready to draw something. There are lots of tools and features that will aid you to make you more efficient but you can pick them up along the way and even if you don't know them, you can draw SOMETHING. The same with photoshop. But with programming, you can't ever do anything useful with "beginner knowledge" because it's all just a bunch of abstract shit. What I am saying is, are there any online resources that teach you to MAKE something real while learning to program, not just learn disjointed concepts that don't really seem tp have any practical purpose?

Your search is too broad. What do you want to learn how to make? I got started with data analysis and viz. A lot of people learn by making a website or a simple mobile app.

This black skin chickun is called a silkie.

Attached: 1280px-Silky_bantam.jpg (1280x960, 217K)

good luck with finding job without at least one website build from scratch or/and with frameworks of your choice, it must be hosted too.

the examples you mentioned, autocad and photoshop, both deal with visual things, so I can relate to where you're coming from: wanting to do things with programming, but also wanting consistent engagement beyond trivial exercises merely for the point of learning. maybe this could be of some inspiration.. here was a point I was at a few years ago, - jollo.org/LNT/home/fanfare/pb/info.html - having a goal in mind of what I wanted, but not knowing how to get there (ie knowing no programming at all). Then, over the years messing with random self-drawing stuff via simple programming concepts (e.g. for loops, using each step to move a mouse cursor on the page to draw a line, etc), i learned some fundamentals along the way, e.g. jollo.org/LNT/home/fanfare/pb/

Thank you, user

Yes. hackingwithswift.com

learn html/css first.
build static pages
then learn javascript
then learn the DOM and jquery
now you can make your static page dynamic by adding javascript w/ jquery

now your pretty much free to learn any other language and it shouldnt be so hard since you know all the basics like loops, variables, arrays etc. you also learned how to use a library.

> "is it possible to get good at something without putting in the work?"

Attached: 1447148044864.gif (640x480, 69K)

Well what do you want to make?
A website?
A game?
Some kind of mobile app?

Cmon man it's not that hard. Pick something and start researching towards it, there is a ton of information on how to get started out there.

be like trump

Yes this is totally possible. Just do basic programming challenges on dedicated websites or r/dailyprogrammer. There's an image of Jow Forums programming challenges floating around somewhere but I don't have it.

>nigger chicken

Yeah just think of a small thing that you want and build it.

When I was starting I had a shitty internet connection and even updating a video game would take hours and impact everyone else on the network.

So I wrote a script that would check if it's 12AM or later, and start the Battle.net launcher so I could download a Starcraft update if it was available, then terminate at 6AM.

Anything simpleish like that, a mass file renaming utility, a script to open up your browser to pirate bay with a query of a show you want to watch right as it comes out, whatever.

Research the libraries for your programming language of choice and learn how to use them.

For example if you're using Java docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/ is a good place to start.

You can make practical things with very little programming experience. You just need to think of a problem, break it down, and try to solve it. You'll either succeed, and can tackle a harder problem next time, or you'll fail and realize why the problem is harder than you thought, which will inform you about what you might want to learn next, and how to better judge the complexity of a problem.

If you don't learn the basics to the point where you don't have to think about them - whatever the language - you will be condemned to a life of Stack Overflow and copy/paste code. When it doesn't work you will be all butthurt and blame someone/something else.

google learncodethehardway, pick the langauge that interests you (like python), follow the free book/website for a few days then switch to some random "create a twitter clone" or "create a blog" tutorial in the same language.

This way you'll have something actually usable that's less abstract too learn from and toy around with.

SICP

silkies are good chickens. very friendly & cuddly.

So you got memed into starting with C or something. If you want immediate effects, learn a language like Python or Javascript. You can open the browser console right now, type in some JS code, and see effects for example.

>all it teaches is how to to do arithmetic in standard IO forever
no they don't
I've watched hundreds/thousands tuts they never do this
are you ADD