Wait a second, people are unironically using python 3.x?

Wait a second, people are unironically using python 3.x?

Attached: 61SA0Wq1P1L.png (512x512, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stfupy3.org/
amazon.com/review/R18C8QYFR1NU6J/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0738202967
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, what's your point?

As opposed to what? Deprecated versions of python?

>tfw people are still using 2.7.15

Attached: purpose.jpg (400x562, 26K)

Porting your scripts to python 3 isn't all that hard, it's mostly the print statement that's different.

Imagine being a cuck that is forced to use a garbage version of a language become of some legacy shit he works on.

Meanwhile I get to enjoy the latest version of Python and C++17

AUTO specifiers are fucking sex

*crack
python 2.3
that was a language
*sip

If you have to use stuff with different character encodings it can be an absolute cunt to to port.

Sounds like a good opportunity to tidy up.

Ultimately it is because it ends up a lot less ambiguous. Awkward "why is everything in Latin-1 now?" phase in the middle though.

Good post

Fuck off with your childish forced meme
Fucking samefag newfag

it's your own fault for not using Racket instead

>Wait a second, people are unironically using python 3.x?
You're like ten years late to the party.

>She still unironically uses python2.

*crack
dancing baby
now that was a meme
*sip

i program in python and unironically i don't know which version i have
i just type what i learned on online tutorials and it just works

Tabs or spaces?

>using python anything

>wah I can't update my shitty program because I choose to write it in a shitty scripting language with dynamic typing.

We're in the process of rewriting an old python 2.1 application in 3.7 at work. It is so much less of a hassle.

>*ssssssip*
>Now, python 2 was the thing. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

t.Boomer

no better time to switch. I started on py3

Attached: noqehs16bzc11.jpg (1242x1256, 82K)

>fork a github repo
>make some changes
>make a pull request
>"yeah looks good, but you'll have to fix up your indentation"
>indentation looks fine to me
>"you're using spaces instead of tabs. I recommend setting your vim to use tabs"
>mhw i use emacs with spaces

Attached: the judging hat.jpg (1020x1530, 185K)

Why not? New is better.

oof, 2.1. I wonder how much the language has improved since then

probably a lot

>AUTO specifiers are fucking sex
you're easily impressed.

Emacs is fine, but why would you ever use spaces for indentation?

>why would you ever use spaces for indentation?
Because your code will appear the same way on any editor. The issue would of course be that not all editors use the same number of spaces for auto-indentation, but at least when you first load up the file you will see the code exactly as the author saw it. With tabs, what you see is entirely dependent on your editor settings.

PEP8 recommends 4 spaces instead of tab, which isn't always going to be 4 spaces depending on what machine you're on. Tab is ultimately superior though, of course

C++17 is garbo ancient trash, C++20 is where its at. ASYNC/AWAIT will literally change programming.

>PEP8 recommends 4 spaces instead of tab, which isn't always going to be 4 spaces depending on what machine you're on.
Tab will never be any amount of spaces. It will be a single tab character.

But that's kinda the point of using tabs (besides making it easier to parse, as you don't have to guess how much spaces is one level of indentation). You're not forcing someone who likes 8 spaces of indentation to use 2 spaces, etc. And if your code starts looking like shit after changing tab width, it was most likely shit to begin with.
But python conventions use spaces, so just use fucking spaces regardless of your preference.

>Wait a second, people are unironically using python*

Attached: oww.jpg (1424x648, 88K)

>you will see the code exactly as the author saw it.
And how is that a good thing? The indentation exists only to help on readability and that's different for different people.
Anyone should be able to set much space they think looks good for them and have all code made by anyone else look good for them.

>being such a special snowflake

I bet you set tabs to 12 spaces, eh?

>no ISO standard
>python community splits in half
>there's like 10 dialects of python now
>every one of them equally mediocare

Attached: 8eae3276680cc66b17125ec53c7058ade57375a94b36caea65faf00db379a0fc.png (315x234, 90K)

>wanting code to look consistent makes one a special snowflake.

If I did use tabs set to 12 spaces, would you really prefer that I used 12 spaces instead? I bet you would really enjoy reading that code later.

>mediocare

When using spaces, you'll never have to use tabs. But with tabs, you need spaces for alignment. Consider this
if (foo == 'bar' &&
bazz == 'fizz'

If I set my editor to tab is 4 spaces, I could accidentally add in tabs when I meant spaces. It's easier to use all spaces than tabs and spaces

Attached: stackoverflow_developer_survey.png (800x600, 43K)

3 is larger than 2 u moron

how the fuck is the spaces vs tabs argument still a thing

ive been using big dick python12 for like 2 months now step it up

>alignment
This is always the issue when people are talking about tab vs. spaces. If it's just about indentation then obviously tabs are superior as you can easily adjust indentation just by adjusting your editor's tab width. But a lot of programmers will break up long statements into multiple lines and align them all the same for readability.

Example
// No spacing makes lines way too long
if ( ((blah[i] < 0 ) && (grr[j] > 234)) || ((blah[j] == 3456) && (grr[i] 10) && (grr[j] == 3333)) )
{
stmt1;
stmt2;
} else { ...

// Spacing and alignment makes the code more readable
if ( ((blah[i] < 0 ) && (grr[j] > 234))
|| ((blah[j] == 3456) && (grr[i] 10) && (grr[j] == 3333))
)
{
stmt1;
stmt2;
} else { ...

This is where tabs vs. spaces gets heated since tabs will fuck this alignment up and make your code look like shit when the idea of breaking it up into multiple lines was to make it look better. Spaces here make sure everything looks fine. Of course some people will use tabs for indents and spaces for alignment but that just seems like you're wanting everyone to spend 20 minutes adjusting their editor's settings to fit your style.

>indenting curly braces
Disgusting

>ASYNC/AWAIT will literally change programming.
Yeah, because c++ is the first language to use it.

stfupy3.org/

Just mix them. Tabs for indentation, spaces for allignment. Preference based indentation, and alignment doesn't get fucked

if cond1 and \
cond2 and \
cond3:
foo()

python 3 was mistake
Fuck Guido

>adding garbage async operations instead of fixing the absolute fucking mess of STL implementations
Wheres my generic socket STL library?

Someone is mad.

yeah it's good

this, all-statement languages were a mistake

expression orientation is the future

actually, separated declarations and statements (expressions are just a subtype of statement) are the future.

what does this look like in practice?

ever tried editing a python script before? If you’re not using the correct number of tabs/spaces it will throw an error, but not tell you where the issue is. So have fun going through the script to find where you tabbed when you should have spaced.

Anything where creating reasonably declarative structures (in case of Python eg. classes) and other data structures and modifying them (in case of Python adding operators, adding methods, applying metamethods etc.) isn't done at runtime but instead before, at (parse/bytecode compile) compile time.

Actually just use a sane editor that shows tabs as long arrows and spaces as dots.
Seriously, syntax is the least of Pythons problems.

C++ is the first not-shit language to use it.

I like it

it was. half the old terminal plugins i use from AUR cant even run in python 3

into the trash it goes

>Just use both
Software engineering is engineering, not art class. Engineers don't argue about using a specific shade of pink ink for technical drawing because "muh preferences". Everything should look the same, always, and fuck your sissy preferences.

Spaces because they look the same everywhere and fuck your adjustable tabs and personal preferences (unless you're a "web developer" then feel free to use tabs after holding a safe space brainstorming about the JavaScript framework to use for the rewrite).

amazon.com/review/R18C8QYFR1NU6J/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0738202967

Why is everyone using a language designed by a buffoon with such horrible taste?

You're barking up the wrong tree. Python is about sissy preferences and not applying basic principles of engineering all along.