Did Valve and Gaben actually manage to convince you to finally ditch Microsoft and Windows altogether in favor of...

Did Valve and Gaben actually manage to convince you to finally ditch Microsoft and Windows altogether in favor of migrating over to a distribution now that penguin operating systems will be getting tons more games?

Attached: SteamPenguin.jpg (1200x600, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8/htmlview?sle=true#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah i will once it gets good compatibility

Attached: 1506310225370.png (709x636, 167K)

>valve adds wine to steam
>convince to ditch microsoft
not yet

But i'm amazed how much valve did for linux. They convinced some devs to port vidya for linux, steam for linux became a thing, and now their corporation-powered user-friendly wine will surely be yet another major step against microsoft monopoly. Can't wait to see the result.

Wine already works you fucking retarded brainlets

Nope. Windows just works so why would I switch?

>hurr durr wine already works
>i am such an hardcore linux 1337 programmer that i can't even see a difference between pressing a button to play and fucking around with configuring wineprefixes for hours

i don't have any of those brainlet meme faces saved, but i could use one right now

Valve never convinced me but its nice reward for sticking by linux.

This user is right.
Fuck wine and all its prefixes, its a hacky mess.

This

"Error with POL_Wine" fucking end me

>describe windows
>complain that the thing immitating windows is a lot like windows

samefag

>runs all windows games on day 1 with no glitches
>best possible framerate and performance despite """bloat"""
>"""bloat""" drivers allow you to use computer without screen tearing, and """BACKDOOR""" software such as wifi drivers, mouse dpi settings
>what's her name Jow Forums?
>windows 10
>Reeeeeeeeeee

It's really just not that stable user

Attached: Screenshot_20180823-122306.jpg (1080x248, 20K)

when it gets better compatibility

Probably on release. I mean, right now it's just entry testing phase, they picked handful of games and let users try it out. Knowing how well valve uses various fanbases, i bet they'll let users create their own steamwineprefixes with configurations for games which are not yet supported.

Downloading Automata right now, i wonder how well will it run considering that it barely worked on my pc even when running on windows.

Why are these threads on Jow Forums instead of /v/? Windows users are the minority on this board, and they're probably already used to being pestered for their OS choice, so I can't imagine these threads going over well with them here. Also, the topic is almost entirely related to video games.

Penguin operating systems run the same games at a fraction of the performance on the same hardware. This means people who *only* use Windows for gaymen will make the switch but most people won't. Don't get too ahead of yourselves.

Attached: arm_fix.png (600x600, 163K)

as of now, but with valve comes more support. This just makes making steamOS more viable, really.

Face the reality.

Vulkan is slower than DirectX, don't lie to yourself.

Running DirectX on a wrapper implemented on top of Vulkan of course will be much slower.

People spends $100's of dollars buying a "slightly better" graphics card, and they are giving that performance away just because of an "exotic" operating system?

Most people aren't that dumb.

>with valve comes more support
... For valve games, yes. But valve cannot force developers to optimise for two platforms, or force driver devs to make solid drivers for Linux. Gaming on Linux will always be sub-par.

I didn't need steam play, I switched to linux in 1996.

PlayOnLInux and PlayOnMac existed way before proton and they work much in the same way

Even with everything i still get screen tearing issues with nvidia gpus on linux. Absolutely no fix has worked. Not juat in game but in desktop too (and its not the distro/ de / wm, ive tried pretty much everything). Its so bad i just dual boot and use a amd gpu for gnu linux stuff

>vulkan is slower than directx
source: your ass

I think this is a great move. Windows 7 soon is going to stop receiving updates and support and as we all know, it is the last version that is still usable.

corporate support. playonlinux with bunch of wineprefix creator scripts is a little bit different from valve supporting/developing dx to vulkan wrappers, building proper apis for all of the steam functionalities and overall creating a finished product

nigger, I run Overwatch with DXVK at 300 stable FPS everywhere at medium settings, >180 in epic settings at 1080p. Granted I have a beast computer but still consider the fact that DXVK is translating DX11 calls in real-time to Vulkan.

Oh of course, but it still made managing wine prefixes and configuring them hell of a lot easier. Still isn't as easy as this, and Wine has progressed a whole lot after Valve started their joint effort with CodeWeavers back in 2016.

oh boy, you can turn on this thing for every game in your library. nice, gonna test it out on something small

Not yet bur i'm a 2020er

Don't you mean windows 7? because 10 have issues with several games.

Yes. I have now changed my laptop to Xubuntu from Windows 10.
If this gets better I will also switch on my desktop.

i want to be able to play cracked games on loonix, like most of people, so no i wont be switching

Compatiblity list:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DcZZQ4HL_Ol969UbXJmFG8TzOHNnHoj8Q1f8DIFe8-8/htmlview?sle=true#

>Penguin operating systems run the same games at a fraction of the performance on the same hardware.
>a fraction
yeah they run about 19/20th as fast as windows or rather 1/20th slower at worst

why are arch and gentoo even there, lol

Yes.

>links a discord when steam has literally 100% of discord functionality built in, including short links
fuck off

No.

they don't have to, the users will. Developers will slowly migrate with the majority of users, since most devs wold probably rather work on nix anyways

>crashes
>crashes
>crashes
>won't start
>crashes
>crashes
>unplayable
>crashes
>crashes
>crashes
>Did Valve and Gaben actually manage to convince you to finally ditch Microsoft and Windows altogether
fuck no

Better than I expected desu

>"1 shekel has been deposited to your Microsoft account"

I actually got myself to trying Manjaro on some old Laptop I have floating around, works pretty good but I won't switch my desktop PC to Linux until every game I play is supported.

>tried running Automata
>on my pc, it worked well in 1280x720 and a bit less than perfect in 1920x1080
>on valve-wine, it runs at barely acceptable framerates in 1280x720

well, it still has way to go, but i'm glad it's happening

I already switched 3 years ago.

you're retarded. You could always use PlayOnLinux which is so simple that I have absolutely no idea what wineprefix is or how to configure it after 2 years of using wine.

PlayOnLinux is literally just a wine manager. The GUI is simple as fuck and everything that can work in wine won't be a problem to set up on PlayOnLinux. Valve doesn't do magic, a lot of steam games still crash or are unplayable on their Steam Play and it has issues with steam overlay, controllers and sound.

nah Jow Forums convinced me of all that years ago. Valve and Gaben may have convinced me to ditch my dual boot though. Tired of Bill Gates livestreaming me jacking off to Pikachu lewds.

I need a beautiful theme for Gimp and Inkscape and I'll switch right away.

PlayOnLinux becomes a bit of a problem if I want to play some obscure games.

you do know that with Automata you get Denuvo?

Does it support cloud saves?

yeah, at least automata does.

>steam has literally 100% of discord functionality built in,
yeah except it lags horribly and can't even handle a hundred users lmao

That's why Lutris also now exists, surely.

As long as Geforce Experience doesn't work on GNU/Linux with its shadowplay capabilites, then no.

we might end up getting a usable emulation layer, unlike wine

>The menu redraws slowly, the map haven't finished loading in reasonable time. Worked perfectly in Wine with the Arcanum Multiverse patchset.
The power of valve

I'm still using vmware / esxi to run both wangblows and leenokz.
Probably will continue because I'm not sure if proton will be able to help me run certain software like substance.

gfe is bloatest of bloat and only gets worse
>used gfe some time ago
>such a nice software
>records my video games and stuff
>oh boy, an update
>update installs automatically
>breaks gfe
>reinstall does nothing
>downgrade with older exe makes it update after one restart, then it breaks down again
>gave up
>some time later, installed it
>works fine again
>but now it has mandatory login because your driver updater/screen record software fucking needs nvidia account, optimally linked with your facebook and google and whatever else

it's shit and i don't want to see it on my freetard platform. i'd rather record with obs and accept lower quality than use it, especially considering that obs supports nvidia hardware encoding and runs pretty well by now

Why exactly? You can easily find required dependencies of most games on winehq or in documentation. Even obscure ones. I set up santa claus in trouble for my cousin, obscure as fuck and required me to add 2 or 3 packages (all done in GUI). Most games will work fine though.

stop your gaming shit on my serious programming cli-based server os

>Vulkan is slower than DirectX, don't lie to yourself
I'd like to see a source, Hitman 2016 got an unofficial Vulkan support and overall saw better CPU usage in areas where DirectX was struggling or showed effects of it and an increase in 10fps on average. DOOM 2016 also got similar except it was dependent on hardware.

Then provide me a tool that allows me to easily, with pretty much no real setting up other than choosing the keybinds and quality to record games in the background, having no real performance inpact and being able to hit a button to save the last x amount of minutes to my hard drive.

>A community run list that is absolutely not enforced by Valve
There's a reason why valve has its whitelist. This is only to explore the the possibilities. On top of that note that the latest drivers from mesa and Nvidia are an absolute MUST and some of these idiots don't have them.

Attached: 1526929759791.jpg (388x810, 36K)

Isn't Playonlinux dead

I already ditched Microsoft a long time ago, not cause of video games.

It should be. It was extremely outdated a year back when I last used it and I don't think anything has improved since not that Lutris has taken its place.

Attached: 1534443077901.png (527x1054, 232K)

It can't be dead since it's basically a GUI for wine and it always has the latest wine available. Sure, the GUI lacks polish but it works and will continue to work. As for custom scripts, they're outdated, yes. But the thing is you can always click "install a non-listed program" and it will work like it would on wine. It's easy to use and there is no alternative. Lutris provides up to date scripts but it requires an internet connection to install those, while installing anything manually is an unintuitive clusterfuck. Not to mention that it doesn't have the easy to use wine version per application switcher and the ability to use multiple virtual drives for easy backups and software isolation.

I will do this on one of my desktop computers.
Yes.

lmao get a better computer, pussy

>not yet
what's holding you back?
linux is faster, cleaner, and more efficient than windows. OpenSuse leap 15 is THE MOST user friendly distro i've seen. Ontop of that all the software just werks, you can do all your work or all your play or linux or windows systems. Dos is a dead kernel, just let it die already user.

no linux makes me want want to switch back. "autoremove" command was enough to kill my desktop and the "purge" command keeps installing a replacement package. also the fans speed up for no reason in linux. fuck this shit.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-23 14-56-11.png (1920x1080, 563K)

>using autoremove and purge if you are a noob
arrogant children can go back to windows thanks

>"mark for complete removal" in package manger
>replaces the package for a different one.

is doing the same thing in package manager. also you are still force to use non-free drivers if you want your hardware to work.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-23 15-14-22.png (1920x1080, 232K)

Attached: 29jqmy.jpg (680x695, 34K)

Your own incompetence did that you retard faggot.

I think i need to find a Distro that "fits" me. Maybe i'll try some live distros .

My problem is mostly my PC itself.
No VT-X means no fast VMs to emulate the shit i can't run natively.

this never fails me in windows. linux sucks if their cleaning utility fucks everything up.

Attached: windows-8-disk-cleanup.png (387x470, 10K)

Yes

Attached: 58f249031c23f0329f438582e6a141dca4738cb103de130c18952c6eb3b053d6.gif (375x300, 1.82M)

wtf are you even talking about?

I'm already on GNU/Linux, I play games on my PS4.

Yes, it got my old saves for final fantasy iii that I didn't even knew I had.

I will add a second SSD to my config and the steam beta, still need my windows disk for some games tho

>inb4 just use windows

fuck off

Attached: 1435157432441.gif (260x324, 247K)

Valve isn't just shipping vanilla wine. They are shipping a complete solution which includes Wine as well as DXVK and probably a variety of other things. Additionally, they funded DXVK.

This won't go anywhere unless there are good linux drivers and software for the GPUs.

`autoremove` uninstall unused dependencie, `remove --purge` will delete the app and all its config file with it
everything else you say is bullshit you seems to have fucked by yourself your package manager by doing shit you didn't understand

Attached: 1475792678748.jpg (499x338, 52K)

jokes on you, i've been using linux for the past 6 years, but when it comes to games i [spoiler]only play older titles because the new ones are so disappointing even if they work on linux

>using debian
enjoy using outdated linux kernel/app

>autoremove
>cleaning utility
user...

>Geforce Experience

This is one of the main reasons for me to ditch Nvidia for my next build. As that other user said, every update makes it worse and buggier, also you can't downgrade it because it updates by itself again, and if you block it in the firewall it just stops working.

>bumping a thread with memes because you don't like it
Ask me how I know you're a retard?

>Vulkan is slower than DirectX
lolno

>Vulkan is slower than DirectX

It is not, wrapping a program usually is but sometimes it can be faster.

Attached: 1526670658959.jpg (600x536, 71K)

I don't use Steam, fuck paying for digital

GFE is the worst piece of shit software I've ever used. Previously updating Nvidia drivers was easy and it just fucking worked. Now I have to have an account with Nvidia and just about every time I need to update my drivers I have to reinstall the software because it's fucked and won't download or install the new drivers correctly. Add to that the fact that I have had at least two games have CTD issues recently because of overlays from Nvidia software and it's obvious that Nvidia's software of late is shit.

No distro of Linux has a good music player

Since this seems to be the Proton thread I've been playing around with it for about an hour and find it hit or miss right now. I know it's beta so this is expected.
>DOOM won't start in proton but works in WINE with a workaround for audio.
>Supreme Commander / Forged Alliance works fine in WINE but not in proton.
>Metro 2033 (original) works in Proton but not WINE
>Wolfenstein TNO works in both but has no sound. Probably same issue as DOOM.
>Dead Space works in both no issue.
>YS Origin works in both no issue.
>Magicka refuses to start in both
So yeah. This new development is nice, but that's it. It's another tool to go with the abysmally few titles that it can handle that WINE can't. I do wish I could find the crash logs to see why titles fail to start.