Librem 5

With the existence of Anbox, is there any reason not to pre-order Librem 5 instead of using a backdoored American/Chinese botnet phone?

Attached: 1508465150595.jpg (800x450, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Anbox
What dis?

>pre-order Chinese backdoored botnet phone
>instead of using backdoored American/Chinese botnet phone

i'd rather use a botnet than waste money on a device that no one supports.

wasn't the cpu or something already sort of outdated when it was announced? it must be ancient by now

The thing about puri.sm is that they are slow as fuck to deliver... I wouldn't be surprised if they would take at least a year before even finishing, and that's not even taking in to account the shipping times

muh cpu.

It's pretty much Wine but for Android.

No botnet and it comes with hardware-level kill switches .

It's supported by Purism. Being GNU/Linux it can run pretty much everything a desktop distro can. With Anbox you can run Android apps. While not officially supported, it'll most likely also possibly to flash Lineage OS.

Was announced to use i.MX 6 CPU but will now use i.MX 8 CPU.

Delivery estimated for January 2019. You can always order it when it's out and you have 30 day money back guarantee.

Overpriced scam

How do these fuckers charge $1400 for a laptop that has 4GB of RAM, a 120GB, andd a free OS?

You need to be beyond Apple levels of stupidity to support this company.

Attached: 1527802208041.gif (330x166, 2.11M)

>a free phone should not be supported
Kys

They buy smaller quantities so don't get same bulk price as companies that buy in the millions. Running free firmware also limits which hardware it can use so it can't use cheaper alternatives.

android is also a free os.

>android
it's literally a botnet

Show me an android 9 iso (stock) for download.

Free as in free beer but not free as in freedom.

You don't HAVE to use Anbox I'm just saying it can run Android apps in an isolated environment.

>3GB RAM in 2019+
It's gonna be trash unless they fix this. They should at least place 4GB into it. I seriously hope they make a better version of the device a year or two later.

Because they spend resources removing trash from your CPU like Intel ME. You're paying them not just for a laptop but for an investment in further research of how to free the average consumer.

why do you need 4gb of ram on a phone?

Since everything is open and documented, you can just compile android and mainline linux for it yourself with ease

looks more like a tablet than a phone, sounds good but it's overpriced as fuck so that's gonna be a no for me dawg.

It's 5" so smaller than most other phones

>Free as in free beer but not free as in freedom
it's literally open source brainlet

nvm then, OP pic makes it look like a tablet, still way too overpriced for me.

>it's literally open source brainlet
Yeah, just like OSX and iOS.

Open source is not same as free (libre) software
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

It's a smartphone. Also, websites, applications and GNOME.

>paying more than $50 for a phone
Are people still shilling the memebrem 5?

Attached: 1534561819009.jpg (394x399, 36K)

Attached: 1512531116588.jpg (400x400, 92K)

The current dev kit specification is (subject to minor changes during purchasing):

i.MX 8M system on module (SOM) including at least 2GB LPDDR4 RAM and 16GB eMMC (NOTE: The Librem 5 phone will have greater RAM and storage)
M.2 low power WiFi+Bluetooth card
M.2 cellular baseband card for 3G and 4G networks
5.7 LCD touchscreen with a 18:9 (2:1) 720×1440 resolution
1 camera module
1 USB-C cable

Attached: Librem-5-Case-Design.jpg (1024x576, 36K)

Sounds like a cool project but I'm not paying 1000$+ for any phone even if it had 16cores, 64gb ram, and 1tb storage.

>memebrem 5
topkek

1080p screen would be nice desu

>1000$+
What? This phone is 600, shipping included.

60 with that kind of spec?

I might order one when it comes out.

It's a phone. What are you gonna use it for besides calling, texting, maps, music, and basic web browsing? Go back to /v/ you fucking mouth breathers.

>How do these fuckers charge $1400 for a laptop that has 4GB of RAM, a 120GB, andd a free OS?
It's because it comes with a pre-installed version of Coreboot that they officially support with patches through the OS. If you're too stupid or lazy to Coreboot a decent $300 laptop yourself, then you're left with this stuff.

Attached: 1527652166492.jpg (231x219, 8K)

> 599 $
No, thanks. I use old nexus and outdated copperhead.