What will MS do now since Linux has more than 9000 games?

What will MS do now since Linux has more than 9000 games?

Attached: Steam-Linux.jpg (640x439, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gamingonlinux.com/articles/pixar-film-production-show-off-how-they-use-linux-and-opengl-open-sourced-a-major-tool.7993
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

mate if u look u will notice there are many other threads about linux gaming up and active right now and i bed you could as this question in one of them

>What will MS do
Still have vsync that actually works

Release a new technology for making games. Like DirectX 15.

So i can get ignored and shited on like DX12?, didn't work to kill W7 because devs got wise about MS shenanigans.

Changes nothing. Linux still has too small market share for developers to care.

MS is finished. How can they ever compete with a buggy OS that plays 1/3 of the games at 50% performance.

>not over 9000
you had one job

we don't need vshit
we have mesa

That's the point of Wine you retard, devs don't matter anymore.

Probably still ream freetards assholes on
>office
>creativity
>UI
>support
>manageability
>drivers
And of course
>games that actually work

Attached: 1523319757111.png (1076x1024, 258K)

I thought Jow Forums of all places would know better than think Windows' merits are limited to games.
Hahaha, just a jest - I know you far too well, de/g/enerates.

Like before because linux still remains broken with a shitty userbase. A few gayms won't change that the average user will thrash the os in the garbage after a week, assuming the average user is enough smart to install a new os.

what valve this was solving the chicken and egg problem
now when that is solved, those things will not matter anymore since 90% of windows users are gamers

Thing is, you (and your ilk) don't realise that while 90% of Windows users game, that doesn't mean 90% of Windows users ONLY game, to the exclusion of all else.

Even if, by some magic, you were able to conjure up a perfect Windows game emulator for Linux tomorrow, you still have to deal with all the other issues (H/T ). This isn't your only "chicken and egg" problem.

announce and release directX 13 or whatever they call it
put in literally nothing, but sell it as the new tech marvel
the whole stupid raytracing thing from nvidia is probably related, and we get the DirectX 13 aka DirectRay

>90% of windows users are gamers
no you retard, gaymers are a puny fraction of the whole userbase. The vast majorities are:
>companies that have deals or are forced to use windows because muh legacy
>offices, as well as hospitals, government, etc... for reason above
>average user buying a pre-build computer/laptop/tabled with windows pre-installed
Why everything has to revolve around gayming I ask? Do you think that in all those billion people using windows like 90% are doing it for games? This is peak delusion.

*average user, you idiot, whose other needs like office or skype are already taken care of
and most people don't use pcs anymore to go online and check emails, grandpa
we have things called SMARTPHONES now

>that doesn't mean 90% of Windows users ONLY game, to the exclusion of all else.

They also use Google Chrome.

>conveniently ignore the previous two colossal userbase I mentioned
Afaik PCs are still sold worldwide, smarthphone or not. I don't care what they are using for, but certainty they're not doing so on linux.

>90% of windows users are gamers
You got that backwards, it's probably closer to 10%.

The vast majority of Windows PCs are in office buildings, schools etc. Then you have a ton of older people and women who also don't play games on their own PCs.

If you want to kill Windows, forget about games. Start with Office and AD/GP replacements.
Also, you'll still need a Linux distro that offers long term support and quick bug fixes, drivers... all that stuff costs money.

I must be doing something wrong because literally none of the games I've tried has worked. Even shit I could probably getting running in Wine manually.

It doesn't.

Con-fucking-firmed. STALKER: SoC, a game I could get running in Wine in less than a minute with minimal effort, doesn't even start.
Are there any logs or anything I can look at because something is clearly not right here

Just tried wh40k dark crusade. It worked ootb.
And I am on fucking Arch so if it could go wrong and break, it would.
Have you tried running steam from terminal? It used to be pretty verbose with errors and stuff.

I haven't, actually. Good idea.
Although it just hit me that I had to revert back to an older card a while ago and I'm not sure if it has Vulkan support, so I'm willing to bet that's the problem.

Haven't even logged in yet and saw this in the output
Fatal : VkResult is "ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" in /home/pgriffais/src/Vulkan/base/vulkanexamplebase.cpp at line 823
vulkandriverquery: /home/pgriffais/src/Vulkan/base/vulkanexamplebase.cpp:823: void VulkanExampleBase::initVulkan(): Assertion `res == VK_SUCCESS' failed.
Guess I'm going shopping.

> barely a percent of desktops
> generally ancient pc's and laptops
> commieOS used to not paying for anything

Am I missing something here?

>If you want to kill Windows
Or maybe conjure one united Linux distribution that's actually user friendly.

> generally ancient pc's and laptops
Based on what? Judging by desktops, you are wrong.

Attached: 2018-08-23-105044_486x346_scrot.png (486x346, 86K)

>office
Irrelevant to 90% of users. LibreOffice is enough. You can always use WPS.
>creativity
>UI
Non-argument.
>support
Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch have excellent forums. Also, irrelevant to over half the users.
>manageability
Linux wins here.
>drivers
Linux has better drivers.

Indeed, that would be a sane thing to do.
Most Linux fans underestimate the amount of work required for a desktop OS that just werks and that can be used by normies (retards).
And work in practical terms means full time devs and that means you need MONEY. I believe that if all frustrated computer users in the world donated $5 a year you'd have enough, but otherwise you need to come up with a serious business plan.
Otherwise, MS/Windows will always be one step ahead.

>LibreOffice is enough
Same problem which I had with the old documents: some Word documents look different in OO.
This is unacceptable.

Word documents look different across different versions of MSO. It's Microsoft's fault for creating shit formats. And open office doesn't even have half the development team of LibreOffice.

>>office
>Irrelevant to 90% of users
Source?

Linux UI is miles ahead of Windows', desu.

You can't even draw a circle in Linux.

Try again, sweaty.

Attached: Drawing a Circle in Gimp.webm (600x600, 2.59M)

>not having steady hands
>needing some software tool
wow winbabbys are pathetic

>Actually gaming.
I pity you.

Now make it anti-aliased. Oh that's right. You can't.

Found the luddite. Now get off this techloligy board.

OpenOffice is used in a lot of offices I went to. You're retarded if you think that MS Office is the de facto standard.
>Probably still ream freetards assholes on
>>creativity
No.
>>UI
Miles ahead of the flickering taskbar and your "dark theme"
>>support
Like MS tech support in India is better than StackOverflow, wikis and forums. MS technet is a fucking joke.
>>manageability
Ever used Windows as a server? You would shoot yourself with a shotgun faster.
>>drivers
(1) Embedded into the kernel and work way better out of the box.
(2) Spend 2 hours hunting down for them in 800x600 using IE
>And of course
>>games that actually work
Except native titles work and even upstream wine can run a lot of games perfectly.

Attached: DkGsTd_U0AAULh1.jpg (1200x655, 104K)

the amount of butthurt pajeets ITT is amazing.
>What will MS do now since Linux has more than 9000 games?
my guess: a new DirectX made with the only intention of not work/run like shit on Linux.

I can.

Attached: circle.webm (942x742, 2.46M)

Not anyone you've replied to, but posting a screenshot from an insider Windows build of an unfinished feature while complaining that its shit is absolutely fucking retarded.

imagine having to do all that just to draw a fucking circle

I'm super surprised something like this has happened, I have never expected it.

Why did Newell do it?
He was once employed by Microsoft and his main cash cow is windows gamers. So why "piss off" Microsoft?
Is this just a giant meme to lure "pissed off" Mac users into Linux? And help Microsoft to destroy Metal (graphics language by Applel)?

Attached: 1900490freak.gif (240x136, 936K)

Mhm, except the dark theme in the regular edition is also complete garbage, either way Windows never wins.

>"Maybe black mesa. Ha. Ha. Fat chance."

Attached: 2footWeightedCompanionCubev3533.jpg7e4944d2-1c75-49b5-90af-6ba67bfb9be8Original.jpg (798x798, 90K)

>Spend 2 hours hunting down for them in 800x600 using IE
10 gets a driver installed for your GPU (older, stripped back version) within a few minutes of being on the desktop so you can use your actual resolution and if it takes you two hours to find drivers you must have an IQ of 60.

Nothing. Linux is still a broken POS, the new linux users will return to w10 in time. Just watch

>users will return to w10
never

Attached: 7fb202df34e3ce571b1e1523f9e43877.jpg (511x496, 72K)

>if it takes you two hours to find drivers you must have an IQ of 60
>install windows 10
>no WiFi driver
>use Ethernet to get that
>fails to get the graphics driver
>get it from Intel
>it doesn't install
>get their (Installer™Update™™Utility™™™)™
>now it works
>sound only works when it wants to
>after 2 days of debugging find out the wifi driver causes sound card issues
>fucking spend hours looking for older WiFi card driver in archives that may or may not be legit

>install Linux
>out of the box everything works

Windows Update got drivers since Windows 7, it works as well as it did then, like horseshit. NT is a complete piece of shit.
>Linux is still a broken POS
>Source: my ass
>Why did Newell do it?
M$ wants shekels. Soon enough Win32 will be killed and M$ won't allow Steam to take all the profit.

>creativity
>UI
lol let me know when hollywood animators jump to linux
oh wait, the thing doesn't even have the most basic modelling software

lmao, I couldn't even run Skyrim on win10, directx fuckups everywhere, user friendly os my ass

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Proton/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Proton plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Steam system made useful by the Proton wrappers, game libraries and vital team chat comprising a full OS as defined by PC Gamers.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Proton system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Proton which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Steam system, developed by Valve.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the games that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Steam operating system: the whole system is basically Proton with Linux added, or Proton/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Proton/Linux.

Attached: gaben.jpg (900x750, 70K)

Retard, fucking Pixar runs Linux.

>>creativity
>>UI
>lol let me know when hollywood animators jump to linux
gamingonlinux.com/articles/pixar-film-production-show-off-how-they-use-linux-and-opengl-open-sourced-a-major-tool.7993
>oh wait, the thing doesn't even have the most basic modelling software
>what's blender
>what's autodesk mudbox
Fucking try next time, retard.

Nothing, gaymers are a small minority and they have a whole console for them.

>lol let me know when hollywood animators jump to linux
heh, they jumped to Linux long ago
learn about Pixar/Debian

Irrelevant. First of all, margin of error is significantly lower, and
>retarded if you think that MS Office is the de facto standard
I'm a retard, apparently, because this is exactly what I think.

Attached: cope.png (300x300, 34K)

>Linux just werks
>Source: my ass
Epic argument.

Source: my experience with 100s of working Linux machines.

Why do people here on Jow Forums always call gamers " manchild, but as soon as Valve says now all the Steam library is available in Linux every single motherfucker here wants those other fags to switch to Linux?
Also, isn't like the people who plays games is eager to use any distro. What Valve is doing is bringing the games to all those hypocrites who want to play games but don't want to use Windows, the Windows playerbase is already theirs.
Anyone who thinks that Valve is doing this to help Linux and not to trick more idiots into giving them money is stupid.

>feel like playing OG neverwinter nights
>install it on Win8.1
>30-40 fps, glitches everywhere
>compatibility mode fixes the glitches, but breaks the audio, performance is still shit
>boot to xubuntu
>install wine
>wine nwmain.exe
>works flawlessly

Attached: 1530480575507.jpg (508x508, 14K)

Still try to force that stupid store shit because they give no fucks at this point to having anything actually remotely good and yet fail at it again like Games For Windows Live

I love this bait
Reality is that only a handful of games can be run with the included wine as of now

over 9000 games? plz show me of list which mainstream videogame titles are supported by this black magic?

I love how anything that Windows wins on (read: reams freetard assholes) is somehow magically "irrelevant". Protip: reality disagrees with you, and has for decades.

Get the enhanced edition, it has native Linux support

It's a bit less than 9000

Attached: file.png (406x566, 50K)

>thinking it was a good idea financially speaking to support an operating system which users' dont even want to pay for a single piece of software, let alone os or games
Is Gaben brain damaged?

>has more than 9000 games?
sure, enjoy your abandonware linux gaming, bruh:
Beat Saber
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
Doki Doki Literature Club!
DOOM
DOOM II: Hell on Earth
DOOM VFR
Fallout Shelter
FATE
FINAL FANTASY VI
Geometry Dash
Google Earth VR
Into The Breach
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
Mount & Blade
Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
NieR: Automata
PAYDAY: The Heist
QUAKE
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Star Wars: Battlefront 2
Tekken 7
The Last Remnant
Tropico 4
Ultimate Doom
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Dark Crusade
Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Soulstorm

most of them don't even work LMAO
linuxfags on suicide watch

They don't want to rely on a competitor. Microsoft is trying to get thier own store running

>Source: my experience with 100s of working Windows machines.
Once again, epic argument.

Anecdotes are not data - no matter how much people wish them to be. That's why we have these huge market surveys - basically a census - trying to reach as many people as possible, across a wide spectrum of industries, use cases, and countries.

What do we find when we do this? Windows. And a fuckton of it.

How does windows win in office if MSO barely supports open source formats? You can't just invent a format, make it proprietary and only work with your software and then say you win. And yes, it's irrelevant. The number of people who have to edit office documents for work is less than 2%. Everything is done in a web browser now for normies. Which means Google beats Microsoft, right? And even if you do need office for work, who the fuck is forcing you to bring your work home? A home desktop user doesn't need office and can live with LibreOffice fine.
Come on, give me the exact number of people with a job that revolves around Microsoft office, then give me the number of people who couldn't possibly migrate to LibreOffice or who just have to open documents to read them (which is clearly 100% supported on LibreOffice). Here's a hint, the large majority of jobs and people don't even use a computer for work unless they use some form of specialized software for their company, or just use a browser, text editor, calculator, pdf viewers and other basic software.
If you're STILL using "muh M$ office" as an argument then you're retarded beyond help.

This. Why the fuck is steam still on windows? Windows users don't pay for anything.

Attached: muh marketshare.png (740x649, 301K)

>How does windows win in office if MSO barely supports open source formats?
Because (nearly) everyone uses MSO.

>that image
>windows is clearly leading
did you just disprove your "argument"?

>The number of people who have to edit office documents for work is less than 2%
literally not true

You cant play games at the kernel level, you need a fully OS like GNU/Linux.

Attached: gnuisnotunix.jpg (391x500, 102K)

>2018
>playing games

Attached: cfec4604382da268e3494d3a12dc96ca.jpg (296x296, 20K)

I'm sure you can provide evidence for this.

Windows users give significantly less money than Linux and Mac users, are you blind or retarded? The original """argument""" was that users are not willing to give money for anything, that image simply shows that it's windows users who don't pay for software or are willing to pay the least.

>2018
>being negative

Attached: 46ebb010bc89c7685c0abe47607c64b7.jpg (550x866, 136K)

non-pc gamer here

i hope valve can push more people over to linux, windows is fucking shit

>doesn't understand that theres tons of software across all categories, genres, etc. on windows so theres competition
>this is not true on linux

Linux was made obsolete when MS released the Windows subsystem for Linux. There is no reason to switch to a barely functional server OS when it can't run any of your programs when you can just simulate the few things that Linux actually does well. The only thing Linux has going for it as a desktop OS is that it's free, no one cares about "muh botnet" outside of the autists already using Linux.

Attached: 1506945308706.jpg (538x1085, 117K)

Windows was made obsolete when wine was released.
Windows was made obsolete when wine was released. There is no reason to switch to a barely functional botnet OS when it can't run any of your programs when you can just simulate the few things that windows actually does well. The only thing windows has going for it as a desktop OS is that it's popular and pre-installed, no one cares about "muh pubg" outside of the autists already playing it.

You can be mad all you want but it won't change your 0.5% market share. No one is interested in using an OS that can't run half their programs and barely runs the other half. Wine makes a few programs barely functional but needing to install and configure wine at all is more effort than anyone's willing to put forth.

retard

>vsync
For pajeet systems which cannot reach over 144 fps. Holy fuck lmao

>0.5%
>steam statistics
Cry more faggot

For unpaid microsoft shills who never paid for their windows, this is actually great news. Now ms might be put off from making win10 subscription based.

*crack* *crack* *BANG*

Attached: office-apps-300x182.png (300x182, 32K)

nothing because linox sucks

>winfags can't even spell
lmao no wonder ur winfag i guess mentally challenged people really need toy hand-holding os

Then bring up something that Windows wins on. At least pull out the Adobe argument. All your current "windows wins" arguments are lies and bullshit.
A dogshit argument doesn't deserve a great counter argument.
Yeah, you are. Do you want an award?
Wine runs Office 2013 perfectly. Even if you're so deep in MS's bullshit formats you can still use Linux fine.
>muh market share
The only reason Windows is now the most popular OS is because IBM struck down a deal with MS because Apple wasn't willing to license MacOS. Just because it's the most popular that doesn't make it the best. The transformers franchise is extremely popular, is it good? Fuck no.
>No one is interested in using an OS that can't run half their programs
Again, source: my ass.
>Linux was made obsolete when MS released the Windows subsystem for Linux.
LMAO. Wake me up when that pile of garbage can do a GUI without an X11 hack.

Attached: gape.png (909x713, 950K)