What the fuck happened?

So I installed Windows 7 in vm and just setting it up for some work I need, and not sure if nostalgia but it's just overall better than Windows 10. If it wasn't for Ryzen/GPU support, modern gaming support, security concerns and overall support I would have never allowed Windows 10 to hit my systems.

I run Linux systems as well, but something about older Windows when it was at it's peak late Windows XP and mid cycle Windows 7. Shit just generally worked from my experience and there wasn't this bullshit massive scale spy network like it is now. Before anyone says GNU\Linux\Gentoo\Arhc\BSD\whatever, nah fuck that shit for basic desktop use for a modern tech user. I enjoy Linux for servers and running certain software, but it's just not there for day to day desktop use, too many fucking options. Rolling distros break shit, too much configuration and maintenance. Lack of testing and proper support channels. I love Debian for example, but it gets stale so fast. Often feels like a slurry of spaghetti, trying to actually get everything working for desktop use day to day. This is coming from someone running Linux since the late 90s for desktop use, and there are some great features, innovative but I think what I really want is a combination of Windows 7 type desktop with repositories and security features combined.

Anyways end of rant, I hope that in 10-20 years we will be in a better state.

Attached: Windows-7.jpg (1920x1080, 213K)

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/133405/how-to-get-classic-style-themes-back-on-windows-8/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

10 ltsb is the same shit with worse ui and extra botnet

Then why don't you use it as your host OS too?

>it's just overall better than Windows 10

Pretty much wrong. You may be more familiar with it than 10 which makes it subjectively better in your opinion but overall the FACT is 10 is over all better than 7 for reasons you mentioned.

Security, hardware support and all major shit it's just better (or equal). No way it's worse (except maybe design which is still subjective).
UI is the only main difference in 10 other than under the hood shit and even in that case you can theme 10 to be pretty much like 7. Sure the start menu and control as well as folder views will differ but you can get used to it.

>I hope that in 10-20 years we will be in a better state.

I seriously doubt it. I feel you OP. I didn't want to move past 7 because the UI and metro was bullshit but that was during 8. I've managed to accept 10 and it's actually not bad at all. If you never move on you're going to be permanently stuck in a stage of disappointment for the rest of your life like the rest of dumb ass Jow Forums.

Ryzen is still supported. Just install the drivers. what might have problems is USB3.0 drivers during installation which are not include by default.

Shill post. Win 10 sucks.

legendary post m9

sorry bro but the botnet will only get worse in 10~20 years.
Our own purchased hardware is going to be used to track us whether we like it or not.

why is windows 10 so ugly and unaesthetic?

I use both 7 and 10 regularly.
10 has some small improvements, but:
1a. The UI is objectively garbage, having two settings panels is straight up retarded and at the rate they're transitioning this won't change for another 20 years
1b. The UI is also ugly as fuck and the default wallpaper looks disgusting and amateurish (subjective I know, but whatever)
2. Bloat, adware, fucking ads in multiple places
3. Major updates every 6 months that usually break stuff or reset settings -- my biggest gripe with W10 by far. Try doing a major update on an old slowish laptop, it literally takes the whole day.

W10 is textbook example of "1 step forward 2 steps back". And unless you're a wizard and are able to babysit it, tweak and plan your updates it can be a really painful experience.
MS could have gone the other way and made it more just werks, but they fucked up.

Let me just find my hula hoop.

>having two settings panels is straight up retarded

The control panel was one of the hardest things for me to get used to but at this point I don't get lost anymore. Definitely a part of the UI issue.

>Bloat/adware/ads

I don't know about bloat. Can you elaborate on that?. Adware either I never noticed it unless you mean that tiny bit in the start menu or store?. Ads yes. Just the couple that are in the default start menu when I first install but never spent more than a minute looking at it since the first thing I install is classic shell which gets rid of that.

>Major updates every 6 months that usually break stuff or reset settings

I have to call that subjective. Even if 99% of people went through this I have been on ten for a couple years and I hardly get updates that break shit. I truly believe if people took care of their shit they wouldn't have this problem.

>inb4 I take care of my stuff

Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE says that.

>And unless you're a wizard and are able to babysit it, tweak and plan your updates it can be a really painful experience.

This would be an EXACT description I would give to Linux but Linuxfags won't accept it in their direction.

UI happened.
Windows 10 is a huge step back for UI consistency as they basically just tagged the metro UI on as an inoperable tumour instead of looking at user behaviour, testing it and listening to feedback. People have been requesting updates to the UI and simple things like tabs in explorer since the dev preview, they aren't interested in fixing anything meaningingful.

I gave up after 8 and started using macOS, very glad as since then they've managed to ruin the windows search (in contrast Spotlight actually works) and plaster ads all over the OS which doesn't happen in macOS. 10 needed 2 years of development to be usable but they just shat out the release and rape installed updates for untested software.

vista was even better than seven.
fuck that stupid ribbon everywhere and the useless icon mode taskbar.

>I don't know about bloat. Can you elaborate on that?.
Cortana, Onedrive, Xbox and other various apps...

>I truly believe if people took care of their shit they wouldn't have this problem.
Certain settings being reset are a documented FACT. Maybe those didn't affect you (yet), but it has nothing to do with "people taking care".

>This would be an EXACT description I would give to Linux but Linuxfags won't accept it in their direction.
Sure, Linux is even messier in some ways, but I'm not comparing it to Linux.

>Cortana, Onedrive

OK. I see. I wouldn't call those bloat as much as useless services. I thought you meant bloat like a 80MB program that leaves 2,000 registry keys when you uninstall it and has it's own system tray icon AND object in startup.

As far as the xbox thing I hardly notice that and disable the couple services in Windows turning them off from Manual or whatever since I know I'm not messing with XBOX. I considered that either an Ad to try helping Microsoft get people to buy xbox or some shit or just another useless service for people that don't have an xbox. I never felt like those items were bogging down my system like MusicMatch jukebox or even a copy of Office that I know I would never use again after a 1 month trial.

>Certain settings being reset are a documented FACT

I do believe things break with Windows 10 updates but I think many people have jumped on the bus to blame Microsoft so often they do it even when it isn't Microsoft's fault.

>80MB program that leaves 2,000 registry keys when you uninstall it and has it's own system tray icon AND object in startup.
That's pretty much the description of Cortana and Onedrive.
Fun fact: try uninstalling Onedrive the conventional way (through programs and features). There's still a bug that leaves a broken Onedrive icon in Explorer, it's been there since 2016.

There is a way to remove it, google it.

>If it wasn't for Ryzen/GPU support, modern gaming support, security concerns and overall support I would have never allowed Windows 10 to hit my systems.
Basically, if you weren't a brainlet

I know there is. Point is, the default method is bugged and MS doesn't seem to give a shit.

When I tried removing OneDrive (or was it called SkyDrive?) from windows 8 it reinstalled itself with every update

True

Under 10 it can be removed/hidden.

10 ltsb is the same shit as 10 which is certainly not same shit as 7. Go shill somewhere else.
10 is insecure by design, your point is invalid
>shilling this hard
>icon mode taskbar
It's configured in the taskbar options, "combine when taskbar is full" is very convenient

VM related things are not properly supported under 7 with Ryzen, run a Linux vm under 7 and try ryzen-kill, assuming you have a fixed Ryzen chip you'll still see failure.

Furthermore 7 was targeted by WannaCry due to NSA tools featuring numerous exploits. 10 is far more secure for many reasons.

>people took care of their shit they wouldn't have this problem.
I'll bite. What do you mean by this?

Wow! The search function actually fucking works!
How could Microsoft fuck this up if they already got it right before?

LXDE was made to be windows like fag

blogposting nigger

>10
>The UI
can't you use the classic theme?

Nope. Removed completely.

:<

into the trash it goes

howtogeek.com/133405/how-to-get-classic-style-themes-back-on-windows-8/

>on-windows-8/

>or 10
It cut short

I certainly wanted to remove it and not hide because it caused my PC to lag horribly

>ryzen-kill
Well as much as I like AMD it's still ryzen problem and not 7's.

i had 7 at the time
didn't get WC

Only used 10ltsb and currently 8.1 but it's all fine, I'm adaptable.

>stupid ribbon everywhere
I like the ribbon, its better. They forgot notepad, update everything to have a ribbon.
>and the useless icon mode taskbar.
Options, how dare they!

Most of home desktops weren't infected. There was 2 major ways of distribution - via microsoft networks (SMB) and certain channels used by russian hackers (like they hacked into some software company and distributed the virus with updates to their channel). When a computer was infected in corporate network it infected all the unpatched computers connected to same microsoft network via SMB. If you don't use shared printers or microsoft's file sharing services chances are you are not using SMB, and if your computer is behind the router there is no way it is a part of microsoft network at all, so that's why home users weren't targeted.

Dear Sir

Please restart your computer and install Windows 10.

Then I can help you with your issues.

win10 is pajeetware now, that's what went wrong

Or if you installed the patch that Microsoft issued the year before.
>bitch whine moan how dare m$ force updates on us cry scream tantrum

>its pretty and blue and i like blue and its betterer because blue is a blue i like blue

>Often feels like a slurry of spaghetti
so.... amazing?

Attached: 68C9.gif (430x281, 1.67M)

ello sir dis is john adams how may i help you.ok sir first i vill need you to press the four flag key and the R R as in Reynald ok sir. ok now sir please to type c as in charlie. m as in martin. d as in daniel. and press the enter.

ok now you can see sir, on your dextop there is the black box. that means foreign hackers have corrupted yur ip adrress. do not worry sir, i am here to help.

>russian hackers
prove it

the leap from 3.1 to windows 95 was the greatest evolution in the story of microsoft windows. gabe newell was one of the main artisans of that leap. gaben shall go back to os development and make linux a great os for desktop. he would probably succeed where Shuttleworth failed.

Attached: gabenseeingthefuture.jpg (597x567, 38K)

2-3 monthe before
>actchually

I will use 8.1 until 2022.

I use 7 until it becomes impossible to use which might take another 15 years

My guess is that he's referring to the average person not bothering to patch out vulnerabilities on a regular basis. MS got sick of dealing with blame for unpatched vulnerabilities caused by that, and has opted for the shove-it-down-their-throat approach of forced rolling releases. Unless you're using a branch that gives you control, in which case you already know what you're doing.

W10 is shit, but I do get why they did that.

Could've put the effort into QUALITY CONTROL instead of just arrogantly forcing them. They didn't fix a problem. They added more to it.

he's way ahead of you, he improved wine and added it to steam to run all the windows games

Absolutely. It was a heavy-handed but not unreasonable approach, backed with a complete lack of thorough, intensive testing that it entails. The enterprise users have effectively become their RC testers without a choice. It's really indicative of the general sloppy development of 10.

>The non-enterprise users
derped out there

>I have to call that subjective. Even if 99% of people went through this I have been on ten for a couple years and I hardly get updates that break shit. I truly believe if people took care of their shit they wouldn't have this problem.

You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Because dumb faggots from Jow Forums and reddit were creaming their panties at 'muh minimalism'. I guess the caught wind of this and decided it was easier to half ass it and go with minimalistic garbage ui

The user interface is miles better in Windows 7, the only benefits I see to Windows 10 is that it has a native PDF player and the native video player is miles ahead of Windows Media player in terms of functionality. Driver support is that much better, and it has native applications that don't require you to reach out to third parties.

Does LTSB have ads?

Metro is absolute trash. It's sickening how Microsoft decided to complete abandon Aero for some ugly, inconsistent interface that already looks outdated.

Install classic shell on 10 and it feels just like 7. No desktop tiles like an OS built for a tablet.

Windows 10 have some advantages, but Metro UI suck ass compared to Aero

Windows 7 till I die fuck w10

Attached: Instagram_iamjuceefroot_1534737289742.jpg (799x999, 91K)

Windows 7 feels amoother on a Core2Duo machine with a spinning HDD than Windoes 10 on my Ryzen system with an NVMe SSD. Go figure. The Windows 10 UI is an abomination of "modern" pajeet code.

shoo..go away shill

windows 10 is actually good. i'm a hotel manager and the front desk computers run 10. women and minorities are on them 24/7 shopping for makeup and streaming movies from shady putlocker shit, and we have not has a single virus. literally running 24/7 for over 2 years, the occasional forced restart but a Windows 7 computer could never withstand the niggotry that these hotel computers take

only defense is uBlock origin and whatever microsoft security shit comes with W10

Windows 10 with StartIsBack

Attached: 200iq.jpg (251x201, 31K)

edge is a browser, not a pdf reader

thats good OP, I was using 10 for the longest time, went to 7 last week and instantly noticed how much better it is, just the fact that it doesn't hide ANYTHING from you is excellent, less tweaking necessary too and you're ACTUALY in control of your PC unlike 10

That has nothing to do with Windows and everything to do with modern browsers being way safer for normies.

Go to Xubuntu after 2020, I didn't want to switch from 7 to 10 either and I fucking love Xubuntu. It's like Windows XP but developed in 2018 instead of 2000

10's start menu is objectively better than 7's clusterfuck of menus.

For that matter, so is the task bar with multimonitor support, storage space management, RAM management, and basically every other feature you could possibly care about

Literally the only reason to go back to 7 is MUH PRIVACY.

classic shell dev stopped because microsoft probably bribed the guy to stop or threatened him