Tabs or Spaces?

Tabs or Spaces?

Attached: 1 Aaqc9L1Hc62hBg_dpNgBKg.png (592x389, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

man.openbsd.org/style
kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/coding-style.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"Indent with tabs, align with spaces" is objectively the best way.

>"Indent with tabs, align with spaces" is objectively the best way.

Since time immortal, ( i.e. ED ), tabs have been horribly managed, horribly.

Use tabs all the time, and have all your source files with spaces, convert on import, and convert back on commit. and

DEAR GOD use a beautifier once in a blue moon.

>Replying to the wrong post
>Reddit spacing
Nice going, you fucking moron.

Indent with tabs, don't align*

Trips say press tab to insert 4 spaces

OSHT

neither. just write one continuous string.

Witnessed

>Witnessed
I do this btw, literally 2 lines in the ol' vimrc.

Based
Cringed

Tabs, so that people can use whatever tab size they want. Tabs are also useful units: one tab = one set of indentation. People who use spaces are basically authoritarians.

And then your formatting gets hosed when someone opens it up in an editor with different default tab widths. A space is always a space, a tab not necessarily...

If you don't mix tabs and spaces, the formatting isn't hosed. One indent is still one indent. Two indents is still two indents. That's the point.

And if you forget to do that for whatever reason? Why complicate things?

Tabs with the IDE placing in 2/4 spaces.

That's a complete non-argument.
What if you forget to follow a code style at all?

>forgetting how to use a keyboard
I don't know what to tell you. How'd I forget to use the tab key and press the space bar eight times instead?

Set your editor up to add 3/5/8/whatever spaces for a tab press and forget about it.

Set your editor up to add a tab for a tab press and forget about it.

Whatever works best for you. If you work with other people's code, you'd better get comfortable with both.

Sounds like garbage. Just use spaces it will do both for you

It's over all the tab fags can now commit sudoku

>Forcing your shitty preferences on everybody else

Tabs in editor with a clang-format hook to convert to 4 spaces on commit.

How is that forcing when I just explain why mixed solutions are inferior to plain spaces?

I have changed my ways of tabing because of this post

>Open your shitty source file
>Have to deal with whatever your crappy indentation width is instead of what I prefer it to be
How is that not forcing your shitty preferences?

man.openbsd.org/style

Codestyle is supposed to look the same on any machine not depending on some shitty setting. Different tab sizes are just going to make overfull lines which is just plain garbage.

>overfull lines
What are those?

A linewidth of more than x characters where x is some codebase dependant constant.

>Codestyle is supposed to look the same on any machine
Says who? I like 8 space wide tabs, as it clearly shows when things are being over-indented, but I'm fully aware that not everybody likes that.

My terminal is 255x68, and that's with a large font. Lines won't ever look too long. You shouldn't be using a 80x24 sized terminal.

Basic sense of aesthetics

That has nothing to do with tab widths.

Well if you only want to have one sourcefile per screen open sure go ahead and enjoy your long lines.

If there were convincing technical reasons we wouldnt have this conversation

What are there people who indent with spaces and don't do this?

Attached: ok.png (2560x1440, 1.81M)

Fontsize for ants?

That's the default xterm font size. I didn't decrease it. If you're viewing it on a computer, not a phone, it's very readable.

I hope you dont sit too close to your monitor it wont do good to your eyes.

This.
Generally, those who use spaces are low IQ people. You can tell just by reading this very thread and observe that space people can't even hold an argument.
Since there are more low IQ people than there are smart people, it's natural that spaces is used more than tabs in the industry.

Also to take my point further, observe that in the chart in OP, space is more preferred than tabs in languages like java and javascript. While more C programmers use tabs instead of spaces.

Use tabs, and set your editor to visually interpret tabs as the width of 2/4/whatever number of spaces you want to see.
That way you don't force your retarded 14 space indent style on normal people.

On a side note:
If your editor doesn't support this, you're using the wrong editor.

>do this thing where nothing lines up
good idea

This.

Do you use tabs in lieu of spaces entirely?
Are you actually retarded?

Indentation is literally for retards who need visual cues to interpret the code i.e. girls.

Go back to .
Take your unreadable spaghetti with you.

t. Rangesh

Spaces so you turboautists can't look at my code with incorrect indentation levels

kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/coding-style.html
>Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8 characters. There are heretic movements that try to make indentations 4 (or even 2!) characters deep, and that is akin to trying to define the value of PI to be 3.

This is one of rationales. But then you don't have to agree with Linus at all.
In my work I use 4 spaces for indentation. But then I am a fucking normie who uses desktop IDE.

Using 8 \t characters would be retarded

>reddit spaces
Fuck of pleb

>fucks your makefile
I indent with spaces though.

*TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP*

Attached: 1525345729919.jpg (680x453, 24K)

spaces only on [object]pascal or vb, everything else tabs

t. datamined