Paying 50 dollars every year? What are they thinking?

Paying 50 dollars every year? What are they thinking?
neowin.net/news/winzips-win32-app-arrives-on-the-microsoft-store/

Attached: winzip.jpg (226x223, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_archive_formats#Comparison
emit.jp/dgca/dgca_e.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

7zip or bust

Winrar or kys

Winrar>niggerzip

WinZip will just never die.

This. WinRar is superior in every way.

winzip and real player.

Why the fuck did they name it like that when they already have "WinZip Universal" in the store?

Peazip >

Here is a rundown on WinRAR vs. 7-Zip.

WinRAR's compression is weaker than 7-Zip's, but it has recovery volumes/records, arguably a better GUI and god-tier SFX. Many a developer and sysadmin has used its SFX feature to create very lightweight ghetto installers, but serious Windows admins seem to prefer MSI now. The recovery features can sometimes save your ass with damaged optical and magnetic media. However, today's flash media tend to fail all at once. Archive recovery is still relevant on spinning rust.

Attached: winrar 2.png (521x471, 17K)

Why?

"Enterprise" companies will pay it because they're fucking retarded.

This.

I use recovery records all the time. The fact that I don't have to store them as separate files but can embed them into the archive it self it glorious. I also like that I can password protect the archive, and split the archive. I also like that I can verify the files after adding them to the archive to make sure the archive contains a 1:1 bit for bit identical copy of the files. Oh and also that any damage to the file when they are in the archive will cause a CRC error, letting me know if any silent corruption happens even on file systems that don't have error checking built in.

For long term data archival, winrar is unbeatable.

used to make sfx game installers when i was a kid. precompressed games with precomp and then compressed them again with either 7zip or freearc. wrote a kewl batch script with ascii art and green text which extracted the game. good times.

Attached: b2aefd7f9890f4dbb73604c7ef795448.jpg (640x533, 57K)

>arguably a better GUI
Can it even do twin panels (like total commander)?

Why is the magical girl sad?

Nope. WinRAR users just buy Total Commander, too.

>recovery records
7zip doesn't have that?

>any damage to the file when they are in the archive will cause a CRC error
RAR archives without a recovery record have checksums for error detection, as do 7-Zip archives, ZIP archives and others. The recovery records are just for recovery.

No. Built-in recovery records are, sadly, rare.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_archive_formats#Comparison

Yeah, I know. That's why it's a good idea to put important files in an archive if you don't use ZFS and have ECC RAM.

Get your 2008 notepad YouTube video software back to

>2008 notepad YouTube video
Shows your age.

>not using dgca from glorious nippon
>2006+12
emit.jp/dgca/dgca_e.html

>They both can expand both .ZIP and .rar files (and other formats), but WinRAR can compact files in both formats whereas WinZip can only compact files in the .ZIP format.
haha what the FUCK, why wouldn't you expand winzip to handle rar files as well, how are these dinosaurs even staying relevant, a literal hobbyist could make something at least as good

Forgot the screenshot pic.

Attached: ex2.png (716x597, 110K)

Can your archiver do this?

Attached: dcga.gif (806x720, 1.15M)

O snap fractals

Attached: ZfxVROq.jpg (576x720, 91K)

Yes.

Attached: dcga.webm (715x178, 3M)

Because she's 3d

Attached: 3dpd.jpg (960x720, 82K)

If you say so, user.

Attached: niizm.jpg (900x1200, 332K)