Redpill me on cloveros

>cloveros.ga/
redpill me on cloveros
is it a botnet?
can it be used on a lappy as main os?

Attached: 2018-08-23_16-31.png (226x69, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/cloveros_ga/status/1032704802591887361
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>redpill me on gentoo with a setup script
>is it a botnet?
No, it's gentoo with a shellscript
>can it be used on a lappy as main os?
Obviously yes, it's just debatable how handy a source based distro on a laptop really is

>source based distro
this sounds too nerdy. how much more difficult is it than say debian?

It's not
Source based means that when you install programs, that they're installed from scratch
Normally you install binary programs, programs that are already built by the developer
There are advantage s for source programs because you can make them specifically for your hardware making the program run a bit faster

Forgot to add:
Gentoo's package manager compiles source programs for you

it means you'd have to wait a long time to install trivial programs for a small performance boost.

It's very performant. I installed virtual box and ran whonix, with tor browser, i2p, and playing touhou on wine.
Quite easy, portage makes compiling or downloading from a binary repo incredibly easy.

Attached: IMG_20180805_201906.jpg (3264x1836, 2.14M)

>on a lappy

In addition to what said
It's a bit more complicated than that. The gentoo wiki guides you in the normal installation and probably the cloveros guy has already set this up for you, but anyways. Gentoo uses the package management system portage. You can tell portage that you want or don't want specific functionality in your programs. This allows you to compile stuff with support for gtk+ but not for qt and vice versa. Sometimes song lives come up where you have to tell portage how you'd like them to be solved. You can also tell portage to write the necessary changes down so you only have to approve them. This sounds hard but in reality it's very trivial

>long time to install trivial programs
you say that but how long it actually takes? one or two hours?

Kills your CPU, not worth it. Use Arch.

depends on what you're trying to install and on what computer you're doing it. the more powerful pc the better.

It's gentoo with some convenient scripts to expedite the setup process and get you into a working desktop environment quickly, as well as set up WIFI, detect battery, etc etc
It also has a repo for gentoo binaries so you don't necessarily have to compile EVERYTHING yourself, which I get defeats the point of gentoo but for things like KDE or GNOME (if you suck enough to use them) it saves a lot of hours

>a lot of hours
why are you saying this? have you even installed cloveros before or you just want to scare me away

All packages are updated to gcc8. Go update with ./cloveros_settings.sh u.
He said you basically don't have to sit there for 8 hours waiting to compile KDE and all of it's modules, since the CloverOS repos provide a binary for you to use.

Attached: IMG_20180816_174556.jpg (3264x1836, 2M)

I don't know about that other guy but here's my experiences: I've used gentoo in multiple machines before. I used it in my main machine (8core 4ghz, 16gb ram), my x220 (i5 3.2ghz, 8gb ram) and on some ancient notebook that was being thrown away at work (1.2ghz, 2gb ram). Compiling an average desktop application like, say, terminator with its dependencies takes around 2 minutes, 6 minutes or 15 minutes respectively. Compiling cinnamon takes about 5-10 minutes (only main machine from now on). Bigger stuff like llvm or gcc can take up to half an hour. The really, really, scary big things like Firefox and chromium take multiple hours. Really, tell your computer to start working when you go to bed and be happy it finished when you get home from work. The really big packages all have binary version (e.g. firefox-bin) that are pre-compiled and take seconds to install, to be fair. I'm not trying to scare you away or anything. Using and maintaining a gentoo install requires a steep learning curve and you should be prepared to read lots of wiki articles.
Another thing I'm not too sure about is if the cloveros guy automated source management. I'm a normal gentoo install you have to tell your computer to throw away solder versions of programs source to preserve space. I didn't know that and it eventually lead from my first to my second install.

I already have the app. What does having it as an OS add?

sorry for lots of typos in that post its 2 am and i should be sleeping

The dev put together a set of USE flags for minimal and fast performance, which he pretty much sticks to. This means that the programs you install are generally independent or dependent on only the libraries needed to make the program run, instead of dragging in several other programs, just to use one program. Take installing MPD for example, on Arch, installing MPD requires installing its libraries and Avahi client/server along with all of THAT programs dependencies. Suddenly you installed a lot of packages. With CloverOS, it uses "-avahi -systemD" flags to remove its dependencies on and does not create a systemD service. This results in a smaller package installation count, and thus a faster program.

On my quad core Skylake desktop, a small package takes like 10-20 seconds. Bootstrapping the entire C toolchain (including gcc and glibc) took something like an hour and a half.

My X230 runs void but from experience compiling random stuff, it's not orders of magnitude slower. Mesa took maybe 5-10 minutes. Random small packages take 5-30 seconds, depending on how small. I never really had to compile anything huge, though. A bootstrap would certainly take many hours (not that you're going to be doing that often).

And then obviously you have stuff like Chromium which take over an hour on the newest 32c threadripper, so yeah

major gcc8 update, new kernel
twitter.com/cloveros_ga/status/1032704802591887361

Attached: DSCN1960.jpg (3264x2448, 1.69M)

>look guys, I """Installed Gentoo"""
>guys look at my anime titties and the """"""Gentoo"""""" logo in my neofetch isn't it sweet guys
>it's Gentoo guys, even though i didn't build any of it myself, thereby completely defeating the entire purpose of using Gentoo, but isn't that a cool logo guys?
>guys look at my weeb ass plushies and anime titties i love """""Gentoo"""""

Attached: 1528031176390.png (500x288, 214K)

Who are you quoting?

I'm not quoting anyone, I'm trying to demean user and make him feel terrible for his life choices. As he should.

That goes for anyone who uses this memetic garbage shitpile of an OS.

It's the only linux that works with ryzen 2200G / 2400G out of the box, currently.

It seems more like you are abusing the quoting function, since he clearly said none of that. I hope you did not forget where you are, since this site is a weeb site.
Sounds more like you are seeking attention instead of leaving. If the dude installs a distro for the sole purpose of showing off his taste in anime girls, with his cute collection of dolls, then he is pretty much in the right place to do it.

cloveros has no anime on it's background

You're the guy that had the unboxing thread with the fumos a couple of months back? That shit was awesome. If you get more stuff do it again

B-but Gentoo?

Sadly that wasn't me, though I did post in that thread. I did have a thinkpad upgrade thread with my patchouli fumo on /jp/ a while back.

Attached: IMG_20180717_212041.jpg (3264x1836, 1.99M)

Are you literally autistic? I wasn't """QUOTING""" his words, I was making fun of his actions, figure that's pretty bloody obvious. And the anime is right there. It's literally right fucking there.

just installed clover on my 12-inch MacBook, it's sexy as fuck

the green "meme" arrows you like to abuse so much is what is commonly referred to as the "quoting" function for message boards to refer to parts of a post within a reply. By the way, those are Touhous, not anime.
Post your screenfetch!

Let me grab my camera and take a pic of the whole thing, the rose gold really pulls it all together

ironic weebs BTFO how can they even recover?

>the green "meme" arrows you like to abuse so much is what is commonly referred to as the "quoting" function for message boards to refer to parts of a post within a reply
imagine being this fucking new

Attached: 1533700473059.png (800x800, 727K)

Kaguya is a filthy lun*rian cumdump who has sucked thousands of dicks over thousands of years

I love this idea honestly: literally installing gentoo but in 5 minutes and just hitting "y" on the keyboard instead of going through the gentoo wiki for hours.
However, I get the free software love around here but truth be told, it limits what you can do with the OS. If CloverOS was, I don't know, Debian based and left the door open for non-free stuff, it would be my daily driver as we speak. But since it's not, I just keep it around in a laptop I don't use that much while my daily driver continues being ubuntu budgie.
Still, a great idea. Congrats to the people behind it.

If you're not sure you probably shouldn't consider Gentoo. Stick with Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora for a while, read up in your own time, take on the Gentoo/Arch/Void beasts when you're ready. If you jump into it now you'll grow to hate Linux, when actually properly installing Gentoo to a machine is one of the most enjoyable and satisfying things you can do with computers. You'll never feel closer to any other machine.

no bully
it has everything debian has, with extra things such as updated drivers and recent kernels, and even if it doesn't have a particular software in the repo, you can switch to source and compile it from the main gentoo server or install layman if need be.

Currently ricing my Gentoo install on my corebooted t420. I aim to join your ranks soon. I only have anime figures though, no plushies. I hope that's ok. I-I kinda want a few plushies actually.

Check out if you want fumo purchasing advise

Attached: IMG_20180822_182535.jpg (2048x1152, 897K)

Why did they eat Suika??

The suika is okay

Attached: IMG_20180618_223855.jpg (3264x1836, 989K)

reimoo

I like the "Placeholder" sections on the website

Honestly, why on earth would you want to use Gentoo if you're not gonna bother going through the process of setting it up to your own personal specifications? What's the point? All the use flags and optimizations-- the entire environment-- was all set up by someone else. Seems to me like this distro was simply made for people too lazy or incompetent to install it properly...

Attached: 1506252232064.png (894x894, 241K)

I don't use it but the thing is that someone else likely has the same taste in optimizations as most other people who use it. You're not gonna find that in any other pre-built distros - anything that gets distributed "professionally", meaning as an organized project (and outside of Jow Forums!), is going to target a wider userbase and so won't arbitrarily turn off things like pulseaudio that a lot of people like to use. Or it's going to be a tiny hobbyist project kind of like this - except that a tiny hobbyist distro built from scratch isn't likely to last long, whereas if you use an established metadistribution (i.e. Gentoo) as base maintenance becomes much, much easier and the project becomes really feasible.

don't bother with clover OS on UEFI systems, its install-script can't handle creating an EFI-partition + mounting it as boot and configuring grub and also prevents you from doing it, even if you select manual installation. This is a joke.

This. That is why I started with a bare minimum kernel missing some of my drivers and am picking them up as I go.
The handbook makes it seem like a scary thing but its not even that big of a deal, it hands you mostly everything.

>source based distro
just means you have to max out your cpus for minutes/hours compiling every time you download a program, because autism

You shouldn't bother with efi based systems at all, they're fucking cancer by design

How do I make my system non-UEFI? Surely just enabling legacy compatibility doesn't actually help, in terms of reducing attack surface and cancer?

How about not buying that garbage in the first place?

Are there motherboards that support modern processors but don't have UEFI? My current system is Skylake garbage yes but say when I upgrade to Zen 2, will I have actual options?

The other user was able to boot and install CloverOS on his system . I assume turning on legacy BIOS support will pretty much get it to boot consistently.

CloverOS has a easy to use install script. Problem with source based distros is the time it takes to compile stuff, especially on weaker stuff. If you got a 8 core ryzen even big stuff like Firefox is a matter of minutes. But on a weak laptop it can take hours.
But there are binary packages for a lot of big programs as well.

The question isn't to support legacy, it's to completely turn off UEFI.

Idk, figure out what mobo you have and see if there are anyways to remove uefi

I installed it on virtualbox and it installed so fast. After I put in my credentials, I went to the bathroom, then came back to find the command prompt for running the install again. I was confused why the prompt restarted, so I checked gparted and found that I already installed to the virtual disk. I could literally go to the bathroom and have a fully functional system when I come back

Attached: Capture.png (1366x770, 184K)