Good linux programming laptops? need one for college and robotics shit

Good linux programming laptops? need one for college and robotics shit

Attached: lenovo-thinkpad-x1-firmup-review-keyboard-angle-2-1500x1000.jpg (1500x1000, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

certification.ubuntu.com/desktop/
stationx.rocks/
amazon.com/gp/product/B0762S8PYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Any laptop made in the last 10 years

epic, based and redpilled.

stinkpad
t440p quad core and chuck an SSD in it, if you need performance.

macbook air

ask around in

Attached: 1528166414446.png (400x400, 70K)

Dell Latitude

X220 if poor
X230 if enlightened
X270/X1C if richfag

too bulky

This. Just make sure it has adequate ports. My x240 was *just* good enough for modern day usage. Has a vga port (which I'd never use), and a displayport. My thunderbolt to HDMI dongle I use for my 2017-bought gaming laptop works with the displayport and a hdmi monitor though, so it's perfect for me.

Attached: 1535001393441.jpg (801x603, 228K)

Don't spend over $200.
Install Linux kernal.

Get a macbook then faggot

>X2xx
yes
>X1carbon
no

i've had both and the x200 series thinkpads are a billion times better than the X1s

how so? the x1 looks really nice

Important for college work laptops:
Fairly recent model (5 years)
Lightweight cause youll carry that shit around 5 days a week.

If your laptop is bigger than 13" youre doing something wrong.
That is all.

>Linus
>Laptop
Please KYS

>X230 if enlightened
this

I forgot to mention battery life. You absolutely do not want to be reliant on sockets to do your work. 6+ hours is minimum.

What will you be running on it? If it's some simple embedded stuff, then you will be fine with a cheaper notebook. Obviously you might need more if you want to prototype ML or CV shit before deploying on your lab's servers.

Lightweight, good build quality, good battery life... That doesn't describe all that many recent laptops. Can you actually recommend some that aren't loaded up with Chinese spyware? Dell makes the XPS 13/15 Developer Edition, Microsoft makes the Surface Book... What else is out there?

>not bringing brick laptop to train your muscle while also train your brain at the classes

14 inches are fine for college in my experience

>how so? the x1 looks really nice
>looks
a macshit looks good until you start using it

poor = used lenovo x-series
not poor = macbook whatever

if not for the absurd pricetag and abysmal IO options macbook pros would be solid laptops

but let me rephrase: what's the problem with the X1? what advantages in particular do the x220/x230 have over it?

i got the xiaomi notebook air 13" and know a few peeps with the 12". all v happy with them. 12" for battery, 13" for performance. both very portable. obviously install linucks

Subjective shit.
Not everyone is okay with a toaster. I only use a laptop so modern hardware for the things I do is necessary.
t. Dell XPS 13

all you need is any laptop that isn't 1366×768 it'll be a good laptop for robotics shit and programming alike.

Would I regret buying a cheapo $200 emmc laptop and installing debian on it for writing software?
I want a lightweight laptop with 12 hours of battery life so i can stop being tethered to the wall anywhere I go.

If you're doing robotics you should start by not being a weak faggot.

the only practical advantage the X1 carbon has over X/T/W/etc is its higher-than-average quality display.
Otherwise it's not really used in business, as it is more of a normie oriented machine, the prices for it are way out of place considering the X230 practically has the same hardware and when you upgrade the display to IPS/QHD IPS it's 10 times better than the X1. The keyboard is also shittier, as it was required to kill key travel to stay thin - unlike the X230, you cannot hack in an old keyboard in it.
If you want a thin and powerful machine, get an X1, but if you're planning to use the same laptop for longer and thinking about upgradability, the X/T series are the definite winners.

Any laptop you can afford that has an OK-ish keyboard and was made in the past 10 years so the CPU isn't complete shit.

>kernal

Yeah a normal laptop is enough if you are just gonna do simple stuff, I'd worry more about portability and shit like that.

As a CS student that has to carry a 6 year old 3 kg brick gets annoying, but it has an i7 second gen (lol) still useful though.

Check the Ubuntu certification of the laptop your interested in.
certification.ubuntu.com/desktop/

An older generation of pro book or elite book from ho is good, I had elite book g2 - it was nice, you could cop one for 300-400 now

G2 probook is good too

I like all the older refurb think pads

I dont like dell

matebook x pro is the only thing worth buying

Buy a recent Chromebook, install a SSD, install Linux

MBP

all of those have intel

no such thing

that depends. If you want something with a big screen but still portable and affordable go for the t450s. If you can live with 12 inches get the x250. If you have the money, x1 carbon, at least 2nd gen. 1st gen has a shit IGP.
For all, get the model with the best possible resolution. 2nd gen x1c goes up to 2k if I remember correctly. The other 2 go up to 1920x1080.

stationx.rocks/
If you don't live in Europe it can be hard to ship, but not impossible.

If you can find one cheap, a '17 or '18 Blade Stealth. I've got one running Ubuntu, get about 12 hours out of the battery, screen and build are both sexy as fuck.

x220 with the 9 cell and a minimal set up will give you 12 hours. Probably even more hours if you turn off your network interfaces.

Not even slightly true. Many laptops have problems with shit like ACPI thanks to Bill Gates

intel makes shit cpu

>colonel

>13"
Enjoy going blind at 40 due to eye strain

amazon.com/gp/product/B0762S8PYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

just got this and i'm worried i made a huge mistake. it's so god damn slow and feels cheap. form factor is sleek and it is light.

need to clone the hdd to the new m2 ssd i got for it still so it might be better

University graduate here. I bought a used, cleaned and refurbished Thinkpad T430 from a dealer that offered warranty and money back if not completely satisfied. It cost 360 Euros. Spent some more on a big SSD, extra RAM and a new battery (the old one had only 40 minutes in it). I'm very happy with it. It has an i5 4 cores, 16GB RAM, 480GB SSD. It runs big IDEs and servers (Linux). Haven't tried robotics, though.

Sony VAIO Pro 11

Attached: Screenshot (32).png (947x637, 157K)

>Bog-standard
What did he mean by this?

generic graphics card that's pretty much on every ultrabook that came out in 2013