Have you Undervolted your Laptop Yet?

Well Jow Forums?

Attached: unknown.png (1541x801, 791K)

laptops are for weaklings.

>Have you Voided your Warranty Yet?

ftfy

>voiding your warranty
>by underpowering you machine using Intel's own tool

just lower max processor state in power plan settings.

That's not the same thing and reduces performance

Found the basement dweller

>overwatch

Attached: nyv3ty.jpg (480x504, 45K)

I've just ordered the predator helios 300 i5 8300H gtx 1060 6gb, 16GB ddr4, 156GB ssd, 1TB hdd, full hd 60hz IPS screen 15.6" screen for around $900
I've read that most of the newer generation intel cpu's tend to overheat and I heard undervolting help significantly.

What does undervolting actually do to the processor? does it decreases its mhz speed?

Attached: aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy81MjA3L2cvcHJlZGF0b3ItaGVsaW9zLTMwMC0wMDIuanBn (775x500, 60K)

I carry my desktop everywhere, pussy

Undervolt is a compound word, use your 2nd grade English to figure it out

sorry that "English" isn't my native language faggotass bitch ass niyuku

English is like my 3rd language, git gud

The principal of reducing the voltage in a laptop CPU is to reduce the heat created by the CPU.

There less heat = reduction, or complete removal of thermal throttling.

While a CPU nay be at a low GHz it is able to use them at their full speed consistently compared to a CPU allowed to boost to it's maximum possibly causing dips or overall terrible performance with poor optimization of thermal throttling.

Sorry for the very poor English

how to do this please?

apple does it for me before the lappy even leaves the factory

Basically your reducing the voltage given to the processor so when it runs fullout it generates less heat. It doesnt impact performace, it increases efficiency by limiting excess voltage delivered to the cpu, it either works, or it bluescreens. Just reduce voltage and benchmark till it bkuescreens and undo your last tweak. Easy

Intel XTU

Explains why Macbook are thermal throttling turds

Can I do this on GNU/Linux?

running -110mv uv on 8550u thinkpad t480s, it doesn't stop throttling at full load but makes it less severe also allows for fanless operation in most daily tasks

Install Microsoft Windows.

It's my fourth language, suck my dick.

Have a core i7 stylus with a passive y3 shit heap. -70mv helped a little but, but I found the best thing was putting a proper copper shim and decent thermal compound between the cpu and the poor excuse of an heatsink (alu plate). Cause a typical chink tablet with cpu hitting 80deg and running at 800mhz to drop to 2ghz and 65degree on everything apart from prime95 causing 1.2ghz throttle.

If you're going to undervolt, sort your heatsink and thermal paste out as well.

I use a Chinese device that's easily broken, people turn them off to never turn on again, is undervolting possible on a core m and is it safe? Also where can I read more on it?

What device? Sounds like mine. Did that improve battery life?

Undervolting is safe because if you undervolt it too low, it will hang and you can restart your computer to restore it back.

Is it done in bios or with a software running in windows/os? And is it "permanent" or only if I'm running that software?

got an clevo gayman laptop with a i7-7700hq and gtx 1070, undervolting helped it a lot, it came factory throttled to 95% cpu fuck that shit. doesn't break 80c now. -.11v

intel xtu running in windows

>intel xtu running in windows
Can I run that on Proton?

So it won't run because cores m aren't k series?
It doesn't seem to do anything on my desktop either.

Dunno, but what you're looking for is "core offset voltage", you could probably do it in bios too I'm sure. A desktop cpu with any kind of decent cooler probably wouldn't ever need it, more of a mobile thing.

Dunno

Yes, I do. -100mv on i7 8750h. It still throttles but it better than without it.

-140mv on my i5-7300HQ and the fans barely kick on during stress tests, the CPU never gets hotter than 60C
The fans do come on when gaming with the 1050Ti but even then the loudest thing in my laptop is the HDD. That'll change when QLC SSDs are available

WOW 3fps more on overwatch and 30 minutes more to battery life!!! Count me in!!11

Attached: 1529725881305.jpg (347x400, 27K)

What are brainlets like you even doing in Jow Forums?

Attached: 1489549482502.png (485x443, 22K)

>implying anyone here can afford to buy a new laptop if they fuck up their current one
yeah, no thanks

Attached: image.jpg (400x300, 49K)

hahaha no

>implying you can damage a laptop by undervolting it

Core i7 stylus is the name. It was a chink tablet from a couple of years back. There a few types of that back then for good value using rejected parts from surface pro 2 screens and last gen left over Broadwell-Y. Terribly made but a bit of DIY gets them to a suitable level for a £200 machine. Crap battery life though, undervolt did help the battery a bit but I never really measured by how much and that was probably offset by improved cooler NG allowed it to run harder.

More battery life, that's not negligeable, so intresting i will try ^^

his many PCIE lanes does the vibrator use?

Works on my i7-4770 and i5-4210U

Undervolted my t440s

I5 4300u

The fan is disabled

Never above 50 degrees

Masterrace

10 hours of battery life (3 cell internal and 6 cell internal)

Two backup external batteries I can swap in without shutting down my laptop thanks to battery bridge.

Literally try your hardest not to be jealous

Attached: lNip3g8.jpg (960x897, 42K)

Linux should have their own software, I mean MacOS has one too.

Linux does have their own undervolting software

My undervolted thinkpad is running fedora 28

>i5-4210U
Really? That's my CPU.
How well does it work for you?

Thanks my dude, I've managed to shave 0.06v on the CPU and 0.70v on the GPU.

>-100mv on i7 8750h
I managed to get it as low as -165mv user

could take -0,090 of core and catch, -0,030 of igpu tested -0.105 once and had a random crash when i uninstalled something. diddnt really test the igpu further.
all you have to do is set the core offsets worst that can happen is a bluescreen + reboot

Attached: gee.png (1801x1077, 831K)

*cache ofc

My i7 6700hq can be undervolted by like 0.130v, skylake high power laptops in general seem to have came out the factory with much higher stock voltage than they actually need.

dumb phoneposter

bump for interest

dont die on me

Anyone else finding that XTU doesn't reapply undervolt settings on reboot?

Uhh... Yeah actually. For free. Not to mention less heat generated

Sometimes it doesn't, sadly its the way it works. Unless there's another way.

>use less power
>become more powerful

Attached: 1435113252161.gif (250x251, 998K)

Youo can set up a Powershell script to set the voltage offset using XTU and use Task Scheduler to run it at logon