Camera technology thread

I know this isn't /p/, but there's some really cool technology happening in photography right now with advancements in mirrorless cameras. Nikon yesterday announced its full-frame challengers to Sony's A7 series, and there's no word on what Canon is going to do.

Can Nikon and Canon even compete with Sony at this point? Does it even matter considering everyone uses their smartphone camera?

Attached: Nikon Z6 Z7.jpg (620x310, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/photography-accessories/ftz-mount-adapter.page
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So what does this mean to some normie like me that is still currently looking for a cheapest entry level DSLR. Is D3300 price about to drop? or something MUCH better about to be released in the same price range?

and here i am typing this reply from a Dual core pc. fucking great

>Can Nikon and Canon even compete with Sony at this point?
Yes. Nikon is getting a lot of praise for their foray into full frame mirrorless with a lot of good design choices in their two cameras, including the ability to adapt just about any lens to the body.

>Does it even matter considering everyone uses their smartphone camera?
Interchangeable lens cameras were never for people who wanted a point and shoot. Smartphone cameras may have affected the DSLR/mirrorless interchangeable market a bit, but mostly just because of dumbasses who were wasting their money.

I hope they make f mount lenses compatible at least to some degree then I'm in

This kills the Sony & Canon

This basically. Nikon did a full technical briefing of the Z full-frame mirrorless system, and nobody has anything bad to say about the system design. Nikon also provided a very aggressive lens release schedule for the Z system (indicating there has already been tons of work done on the lens designs) and committed to bringing even the very niche use lenses to the Z system.

The biggest problem with the Sony cameras has always been the selection and the quality of the lenses, and with Nikon saying they're going all in on Z mirrorless system and bringing all of the lenses is going to put damper on Sony's momentum in the professional camera space.

You're not going to go wrong with a D3300. Solid little DSLR, there are lots of lenses for it and you'll get many years out of it.

What's happening, though, is DSLR technology seems on the way out. Sony has proven that its mirrorless cameras can be just as good and in many ways better than DSLRs, whether APS-C like an a6500 or a full-frame for serious professionals like the a9.

The best feature of mirrorless to me is the electronic viewfinder that shows you an accurate preview of the photo your settings will create. There's really no more guessing about the exposure triangle, especially ISO.

>Sony has proven that its mirrorless cameras can be just as good and in many ways better than DSLRs

How does this relate to Ultra zooms?. I really would like a super duper 40x+ zoom all in one camera but heard the quality is guarantee dog shit.

Is this going to help that? or you know a good ultra zoom?

Nikon will release the FTZ adapter, which is compatible with F-mount glass. 90 will be fully compatible.

nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/photography-accessories/ftz-mount-adapter.page

Superzooms/bridge are good enthusiast cameras, and they're really easy to use, just like a standard point and shoot. Most use electronic viewfinders. I'm not really up on these cameras, but I've heard Panasonic makes some decent ones that are under $1,000 that also shoot 4K if you want to shoot video.

Why can't Canon make a decent fucking DSLR / mirrorless camera body that can shoot 4k/30 for sub 1-1.5k MSRP? Canonkikes want to shill goys their Cine range while everyone else with an IQ in the triple digits go Panasonic or Sony instead. Canon completely btfo.

Some years ago I would have recomended pentax, their glass is amazing and very cheap.
As of today Id tell you to pick a a6000, you can find them with a 18-50 for less than 400$.
There is no advantage to go for a mirror-full camera unless you are into carrying a couple of pounds of stuff everywhere

I'll probably get a micro four thirds camera unless an affordable UV and IR camera comes about. It's awesome there's more competition and variety in the MILC market, though.

Ultra zooms/bridge definitely have their place. They are absolutely brilliant for stuff like going on safari and taking great pictures of animals at crazy distances without having to invest $$$$$/time in a quality long lens DSLR setup and knowing how to use it.

A lot of them are perfectly decent alternatives to an entry level DSLR for someone who isn't really 'into' photography, and just wants a good camera that can take nice pictures.
You'll never get the same quality of portrait images out of one or anything, and their low light performance is not as good, but that isn't a huge deal for a lot of people.

>They are absolutely brilliant for stuff like going on safari and taking great pictures of animals at crazy distances
Or going to the beach and taking creepshots without leaving the hotel

Based and Redpilled

>>/p

Go back to your containment board No one here can afford cameras.

>implying
Film fags are basically think pad fags of the photography world

How can ni/g/gers even compete with /p/atricians?

Attached: Untitled.png (1489x330, 50K)

The a7rIII is a beast, but it still has it's flaws that make owning a camera from another brand more than worth while.

Kek

>advancements in mirrorless cameras

Nikon's new cameras have LITERALLY NOTHING that hasn't been done before.

Also

Don't fall for this meme user. A used d800 is only like $700 and it's infinitely better than any micro four turd.

Better than the new blackmagic 4k pocket vagina that's coming out?

Well if you need it for video the blackmagic is supposed to have a really good featureset, but if you're going to go above 1k anyway you might as well get the a7sii just for the improved noise levels.

fuck sony and their a7 iii backorder

i dont' want to wait 1 month for the camera then 1-3 months for their lenses

>blackmagic is supposed to have a really good featureset
This is what I'm hoping for, and I can justify the price, because it's coming with resolve 15. I've been saving this year for gear (including pc), and I'm thinking of just going mostly with black magic, and maybe a few action cams from either gopro, or yi+.

Yeah sony in Australia won't even let you order on their site anymore as the orders are too high

Well the features are definitely there and 4k@60fps is nice, just don't shoot in low light because it's going to struggle. The correlation between sensor size and noise at a given ISO is pretty linear and FF is about 4 times larger than m43. The a7sii has full sensor readout with no binning so it's going to have much lower noise than the blackmagic, but it doesn't have the same output options and it's only 8bit and 30fps at 4k. If you have enough light the blackmagic will definitely give you more "professional" looking results because of that, but I wouldn't recommend using it at ISO1600 or above.

if you want some real fucking zoon, you should get the nikon p1000

>Nikon's new cameras have LITERALLY NOTHING that hasn't been done before.
There's not a lot that hasn't been done before.
What they do have is a very good EVF with no lag even while auto focusing, a large mount which will allow for larger lenses that let more light in and a short flange distance which makes adapting lenses much easier.

When you consider this Nikon's first go into full frame mirrorless, they've certainly gone in a lot more thoughtfully than Sony's first, or second, go and Nikon probably isn't planning to release a new version every 6 months like Sony does, which is probably part of the reason behind them getting so many things right in one go.

>and there's no word on what Canon is going to do.
yes there was, numerous rumors online. any civilized human is waiting for Canon mirrorless