Do you guys use any reminders on your GNU/Linux OS'? If yes, what are they...

Do you guys use any reminders on your GNU/Linux OS'? If yes, what are they? I recently made a terminal reminder for my own personal use, and it consists of just adding reminders and printing them when you need them. I don't know if I reinvented the wheel.
>pic related is how it looks
What do you think about it? If there are similar FOSS reminders, send link.

Attached: 2018-08-24-134917_278x103_scrot.png (278x103, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zaplanincan.wordpress.com/tag/wyrd/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Org mode on emacs, but I like your style, bash and cron suffice for the purpose.

>forget to check reminders
>don't get reminded
genius
just get a txt file

Interesting, those are some nice ones
I put it in my .basrc so it's printed every time I open my terminal :^) And besides, this works using a textfile, my program just prints it formated and with some colours to it.

Not really anymore. I have also written a CLI program to remind me, but my problem was that a computer is not portable, so it had no real advantage over my old Nokia phone, which has a great calendar applet.

>forget to check txt file
>don't get reminded
Cron cron cron cron cron

Indeed, although I prefer my laptop over any phone any time of the day. I use it to remind myself of things which have to do with my laptop anyways, e.g. delete a certain package or similar.

Check too if cat can output with colours, maybe you need just an sh

That's the point.
It's the same thing.

echo "more todos.txt" >> ~/.bashrc

Attached: web developer.png (671x519, 146K)

Maybe, not a bad idea. It's just that "TODO:" isn't in the textfile, and so aren't the numbers before that. Still can be acomplished with bash probably though. I used C for it.
>echo "more todos.txt"
>space in the filename
>extension
>command doesn't work as intended anyways

post-it note on my screen

A small script that plays a mp3 at a set time.

Huh? What doesn't work about it you faggot?
Where do you see the spaces in the filename and what is wrong with having an extension?

Nice, although that sounds like M$ Windooze(tm)
Well not a reminder I imagined but if it works it's good
What doesn't work about it is that it doesn't print the content of the file. "more todos.txt" there's a space there, also, extensions are useless unless you are Windooze user.

Oh you don't know about more.
Ok...
You know, you could try it. Then maybe you'd learn something.

Attached: 1505990428705.png (645x729, 71K)

>also, extensions are useless unless you are Windooze user.
This is the stupidest fucking shit I've ever heard
You know you can open files without extensions on Windows as well right?

>hating extension
yeah, I'm sure it's fun having all your files in bare name

You can but you are going to confuse your proprietary OS and will have to choose which program to open the file with.
>pic related
Please explain your reply
I do

Attached: 2018-08-24-141617_357x89_scrot.png (357x89, 5K)

>obvious first time Linux user

I don't understand what you are trying to prove with this screenshot.
The command in is a perfectly valid way to add something in bashrc.
In this case, the purpose of that something is to show the contents of todos.txt each time you open a terminal screen, you simply need to replace "todos.txt" with its full path.
This is not what you've attempted to do right now (as I said, I have no idea what you're trying to prove).

You are also giving no reason on having files without extensions.

My Android runs most CLI programs fine
It's time to embrace the botnet grandpa

"more" is the name of the command, you fucking moron

Taskwarrior

Thunderbird and Android calendar, Radicale as backend.

I made a thing which uses notify-send to create popup notifications at specific times

considering todos will be short the following can instead be used
echo 'echo "$(< todos.txt)"' >> ~/.bashrc

Not really
Indeed, but echo doesn't print the content of the file? Echo will just print the path you've given it. Maybe I misunderstood?
Why would I use more, he didn't even mention it in his reply.

Echo prints the string to bashrc.
more prints the file to the terminal.
This post clearly points out the command and your lack of knowledge about it, and should've been a pointer for you to go learn about it.

O fuck I thought "more todos.txt" was the filename..... Well I did read about more so now I know about it. Why would you use it over cat?

Paging, if the contents of the file are > than the height of the terminal, it pauses until you press a key to continue reading.

If you're happy just scrolling back up in a modern terminal, you don't strictly need it.

I usually used "cat [something] | less" because st doesn't support scrolling but more seems better and shorter.

cat is not needed, you can do `less [something]`
and you emulate more with `LESS_IS_MORE=1 less [something]`

I will just use less/more then.

On some systems more is just an alias for less. less was an improved version of more that supports scrolling backwards, more only allowed going forwards.

What you just typed there is known as a "Useless Use of Cat". less [something] has the same effect and is even slightly more efficient since there's no pipe involved. For any program that only reads from stdin, program < [something] is better than cat [something] | program

Is that so? That's great, thanks.

>I don't know if I reinvented the wheel.
maybe.
There is a thing called Wyrd. Looks kinda sophisticated if you ask me.
zaplanincan.wordpress.com/tag/wyrd/

Nah I just use terminal-notifier