Unix curse

How come almost all the OSes in use outside the desptop are variations of Unix?
Why hasn't it been replaced by something radically new?
Will the IT industry ever be free from the Unix/POSIX virus?

Attached: 1920px-Unix_history-simple.svg.png (1920x1330, 242K)

Other urls found in this thread:

herpolhode.com/rob/ugly.pdf
jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_Java
leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=sed§ion=ANY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: unix-logo_1_9-1.png (636x436, 13K)

>Why hasn't it been replaced by something radically new?
Worse is better. Or more accurately, unix-like OSes were here now and good enough, which always beats more elegant and here sometime real soon now. That's been the case for so long that nothing's going to displace it now, because any replacement not only has to be better, it has to be so much better that people are willing to go to the trouble of switching to it. And in the process abandoning the accumulated decades of features, knowledge, etc that have built up around *nix.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

Because Unix just werks. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Because Unix was licensed to whoever wanted it and it spread all over, including to the free software movement who then made an OS that was free to use.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

>Will the IT industry ever be free from the Unix/POSIX virus?
Fuchsia is not Unix.

>almost all the OSes in use outside the desptop are variations of Unix
Most OSes in use outside the desktop are embedded ones. Your phone has only one linux kernel and several RTOS running at the same time: baseband, ISP, wifi, other SoC subsystems, battery controller etc

Attached: 1520658059357.jpg (600x600, 30K)

>Fuchsia is not Unix.
Yeah, it's botnet!

Is Singularity botnet because it's been designed in Microsoft Research?

It's the same issue as with Windows:
Radical backwards-compatibility.

But whereas Windows was created by a single corporation who's only just now embracing a fucked up design process, Unix was built by a variety of personalities ranging from monopolistic companies with proprietary concepts, over people who programmed shit for an entirely different system (I'm looking at you, dd) to grognards who code in their basements and subsist on a diet of mountain dew.

The end result is a magnificient house of cards that somehow works and is the IT equivalent of post-apocalyptic two-hundred year old kalashnikovs that had every single part replaced and/or upgraded with random gizmos - both in terms of reliability and functionality. In some ways it's impossible to destroy, in others strangely vulnerable.

Basically, we will never be able to escape the curse of Unix. We will forever be bound by the ass-backwards syntax and functionality of Bash (good luck using any alternative that breaks syntax compatibility), having a ramshackle assortment of implementations of features that should be standardized (verbose output streams, parameter syntax). We will also never get rid of "funny" names and cryptic as fuck command invocations (cryptic and short aliases are okay, but fuck having cryptic default names) that have grown into an insurmountable abomination that requires years of Unix deep diving until you can finally grasp all the myriad wonky names that you might have the displeasure of happening across, ranging from iptables (actually firewall rules!) to awk/sed/grep, the unholy trinity of redundancy.

Don't get me wrong. Understanding Unix derivatives, diving deep into the mechanics and becoming a fucking computer wizard makes you feel special.
But that doesn't change the fact that this entire system is a fucking mess. And that's before we got into GUIs, the REAL clusterfuck of Unix.

Pretty much this. There’s some good books on Unix history out there should answer your question.

How many of these are recognizable as brands of operating systems, instead of just being on-off purpose-built software?

Fuchsia is a botnet because it has google analytics in the kernel now.
The marketing team steamrolls the system developer team in these kinds of decisions every time, it's Google after all.

It was good enough
herpolhode.com/rob/ugly.pdf (28 pages)
Every popular unix variant today is probably the furthest from what unix originally wanted to be

Most of them. Nobody does bare metal at this scale, everybody's using some kernel. Even SIM cards are running an OS with Java runtime.

Every server is running a couple dozens of realtime kernels too, basically each device has several ones, even a PSU. HDDs have at least 4 separate CPUs running some kind of OS. Possibly fan motor controllers are bare metal, but likely are running an operating system too.

There are more computers and OSes around than you can possibly imagine.

At the end of the day Operating Systems all do the same base functionalities. It's just a matter of where they put them (kernel wise), how they are implemented and what shitty UI they slap on the front.

U R B I T
R
B
I
T

I really want to try some of whatever the Urbit people are smoking.

is this pasta? it's terribly well written and quite concise

I don't see the nipples, so no.

Attached: 1535044766668.jpg (430x608, 29K)

>only just now
:-DD

Unix philosophy is just that good

>Why hasn't it been replaced by something radically new?
Because despite suckless memes, Unix is pretty based.

jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html

Just so OP knows where the phrase came from.

Hopefully.
They smoke an ancient Amerindian mixture of mold and bugs.

Just like the clap

By 'just that good' do you mean 'not quite as shit as every thing else'?

>PSU runs an RTOS
>your fucking fan runs an RTOS
Care to explain, user?

Sources? Java on SIM cards sounds slow for such a low power processor but I could imagine that. HDDs are fairly complicated, I can see them having a few ARM cores. And several per device sounds like an overstatement, USB sticks have one, which I think doesn't even run an OS most of the time. Mice and Keyboards don't either usually presumably. I highly doubt PSU's often run their own OS.

>We will forever be bound by the ass-backwards syntax and functionality of Bash (good luck using any alternative that breaks syntax compatibility)
perl did fairly well atleast. But yeah, in part I blame regex which is always an adventure to decipher, even if it's a great tool.

>awk/sed/grep, the unholy trinity of redundancy
???
I can see sed and awk being similiar, but grep is entirely different. Also, fuck sed, especially the concise manpage that doesn't explain shit.

Most of these devices are using MCUs which usually run some kind of an OS, except for very simple ones (fan motor, battery charge controllers, but not always). There are dozens of embedded OSes, most of them provide plenty of realtime features which more or less guarantee response times. Don't think of them as a general OS, it's more like of a customizable runtime for your code. You use only what you need, and the preemptive model is also optional.

>Java on SIM cards sounds slow for such a low power processor
Ever heard of Oracle boasting that Java powers billions of devices? I don't know about exact numbers, but it really runs on everything. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_Java
Your telecom service menu provided by the SIM is an interface to a Java program running on it.
>I highly doubt PSU's often run their own OS
PSU controllers employ a decent amount of startup, safety and voltage control logic actually, juggling several different physical processes at a time. In a PC, nothing is simple anymore, especially the startup procedure.
>And several per device sounds like an overstatement
It's probably an understatement. Even some MCUs have separate peripheral cores nowadays, and various DSPs typically do have one or several control MCUs, depending on complexity. (ethernet, wifi, sound cards etc)
>USB sticks have one, which I think doesn't even run an OS most of the time.
They do, almost always. USB interaction logic, wear leveling etc is complicated and needs a runtime with a scheduler and many other features.
>Mice and Keyboards don't either usually presumably.
They absolutely always do, especially mice.

this.

No, it makes the most sense and is objectively better than anything else.

These OSes user is talking about are really lean and mean. Something monstrous like VxWorks cannot run without 32 bits, 256KB RAM, a timer, an interrupt controller etc. But some of them like ChibiOS/RT can fit into 2KB ROM on a 8-bit pico controller. So most developers use them even in smallest devices and for simplest tasks since they provide a convenient programming model.

>especially the concise manpage that doesn't explain shit
That's a GNU problem right there.
leaf.dragonflybsd.org/cgi/web-man?command=sed§ion=ANY

because it's kind of good, also inertia