AMD in laptops

Why is it so hard to get a decent brand laptop with an AMD CPU? A lot have AMD GPUs but the CPU in most Dells tends to be Intel.
I want to get a XPS 13 but they're all Intel.

Attached: ayy.jpg (1200x600, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-700-series/Ideapad-720S-13-AMD/p/88IP70S0929
store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=4BA28EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB
ebuyer.com/748753-hp-chromebook-13-pro-t6r48ea-abu
eurocom.com/ec/release(372)ec
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=amd ryzen laptop&Submit=ENE
store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=4BA30EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB
hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-2400ge-ryzen-3-2200ge-low-power-apus-vega-graphics
amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2300u
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1. No lpddr support for ultrabooks
2. No buy from (((gamer))) kids for anything else

because intel fines manufacteurers if they don't use their stuff

Yet some laptops from any given brand do have AMD CPUs, just not the good ones, like the XPS line. It's always some budget-ass shit.
>2. No buy from (((gamer))) kids for anything else
XPS isn't really a gamer line afaik. I just want a machine for programming and occasionally watching TV shows/anime on.

>no 2200g thinkpad
it hurts

Dell has a long history of being intel's bitch, so there's that too. And XPS is an ultrabook with LPDDR memory so 1st reason applies.

Why would you want desktop CPU in a laptop? It's 65W ffs

buy an elitebook

so you can downclock the thing, maybe make it retain its max boost to one core

get a thinkpad

this is like what you want, but better
lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-700-series/Ideapad-720S-13-AMD/p/88IP70S0929

just get a e485 with 2500U. Jk you can't because they are permanently out of stock.

>Why is it so hard to get a decent brand laptop with an AMD CPU?
Buy a clevo/sager you dipshit.

What are you talking about? There are a lot of Lenovo, hp and Dell laptops that utilize AMD CPUs and GPUs.

no one cares about athlons, bulldozers and piledrivers anymore except for boomers

>IdeaPad
>better than XPS

nigga i've got a 2700u in my laptop
youze some bitches

i got a AMD e1-2100 on my laptop
it is missing 3 keys , the screen is scratched and the ethernet port was fried but the motherfucker refuses to die
It can barely render 720p video but it hasnt let me down from high school to college

Attached: 1519050962924.png (371x398, 253K)

if you can wait for next years 7 nm chips.

>why doesn't people make and promote more amd laptops even after ryzen?
They don't want to get sued/ fucked up in other ways by intel.

store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=4BA28EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

OP here, considering this. Should have mentioned I'm in the UK but didn't think it would make a difference. There does seem to be less choice than the USA.
Still haven't found anything with an AMD + QHD screen, only FHD.

Can't find a single one in the UK that isn't Intel.

ebuyer.com/748753-hp-chromebook-13-pro-t6r48ea-abu

fucking chromebooks get QHD screen but not Winshit or Poo/Linux.

eurocom.com/ec/release(372)ec
>EUROCOM Tornado F9 CPU options:
>• Ryzen 7 1800X – 8C/16T, 16MB L3, 95W >TDP, 3.6GHz base - 4.0GHz turbo
>• Ryzen 7 1700X - 8C/16T, 16MB L3, 95W >TDP, 3.4GHz base - 3.8GHz turbo
>• Ryzen 7 1700 - 8C/16T, 16MB L3, 65W >TDP, 3.0GHz base - 3.7GHz turbo

you're joking, right?

No. What's the problem?

>desktop cpu
>weighs as much as a desktop computer

What the fuck is your problem? You claim that ryzen laptops with a good/decent brand aren't available to you (which they are, because internet you dumb fuck), so I showed a decent brand that offers some, and you complain.
If the exotic brand isn't to your liking then you will just have to settle with the other laptops that are available.
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=amd ryzen laptop&Submit=ENE
It's not that hard user.

you're retarded

>can't figure out how to buy a product that exists, and is completely fucking available.
Nah you're the only retard here user.

Hi, I'm OP, that dude isn't me. Also I'm not after a gaming laptop which is what that looks for, anne frankly it has some retarded-ass specs if I've ever seen them, might as well just build a gayman PC instead.
I'm more concerned with just having a QHD screen (doesn't matter about the size so much) + AMD CPU (ideally Ryzen but no biggie) + hopefully a reliable brand like dell or lenovo. So far all I have found that is close is the HP one I linked earlier. Possibly this one also which is 100 bongs cheaper but has a Ryzen 3 not 5.

store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=4BA30EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-5-2400ge-ryzen-3-2200ge-low-power-apus-vega-graphics

35W TDP, and they're APUs.
Prime material for laptops.

amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2300u
This is what comes in the HP I linked earlier. Really liking the idea of the low power usage with a half-decent screen and a half-decent brand for a decent price. I've kind of given up on the idea of a QHD screen. Looks like the industry hasn't decided they want QHDs at this point in time. FHD should be enough for now.

OP here again, gonna press fire on this one unless you dudes think otherwise

user here go for it you naughty bastard.

Thanks for confirming user, here I go

dell makes one pretty decent inspiron that uses a ryzen cpu

They are such faggots they only sell that one in the USA.

unfortunately the current generation of APUs are royally crap. they suffer from bad balancing between CPU and GPU throttling within the APU, so you get a CPU at 3.5GHz and then a GPU at 500MHz. AMD mobile APU is a product in its infancy, buying one now is paying for beta test it. and of course I'm not even taking into account the crap cooling solutions and power envelopes that laptop manufacturers stuff those chips in. I was in the market for a laptop, so I just bought the cheapest intel laptop I could muster and I'll wait for better times. Ryzen needs another generation or two til it reaches maturity.

OP here, I went with that HP with the 2300U. I don't even mind beta testing as long as it isn't total shit. This is actually the first AMD I've ever bought so it should be interesting to see how it turns out. I thought I would give them a fair chance after seeing Intel repeatedly fuck up and do nasty shit repeatedly and shamelessly. The bullshit the other day with not allowing benchmarks just pushed me over the edge, not going to miss them. We deserve it if we keep buying their shit only to see them do anti-consumer crap like they have become known for.

yeah, but don't be fooled into thinking AMD won't want to shaft you given a dominant position. don't get me wrong, I use ryzen on my desktop and I haven't touched Intel on the desktop since the Pentium 1 era, but I have been a lot more wary regarding first generation AMD products ever since I got shafted out of working linux drivers for my 1st generation Polaris card. When you're a really small corner case, AMD is quite likely to fuck you over with long term support, though I hope it isn't your case.

>yeah, but don't be fooled into thinking AMD won't want to shaft you given a dominant position
Oh I realise that, having watched them pull shit like their PSP module (which I am not completely cool with but at least it's not as bad or blatant as Intel ME).
Funny, I have been on Intel since the Pentium 1 era and it took me this long to break the conditioning and say fuck you i'm buying AMD. Feels kinda good ngl.
Regarding Linux drivers, I'm hoping the official ones will just werk as I see news about them constantly on phoronix and Jow Forums. I don't even care about using the FOSS drivers desu. As I said, I don't mind negligible hassles in switching, just as long as shit doesn't get too bad. I'm used to a slightly bad experience on Linux anyway since I'm on a Nvidia mobile GPU which has legacy drivers (so I can't even use Wayland FFS).

3 things made me want to give AMD a chance, Ryzen and the fact that Intel have been a company who has done nothing but fuck up the last few years, and the fact that Sony and others have started to bring AMD into their consoles, that gives AMD a fuckton of credibility and makes people like me trust them enough to try them on other things. I would never have considered doing this if I didn't own a PS4.

yeah, the funny part is that AMDGPU drivers are amazing, as long as your GPU is supported by them, of course!

I have an acer with a ryzen cpu and a small vega gpu. 1080p and 8gb ram. Was pretty cheap too.