Can buy a Dell ex-workstation with dual X5670s for £150

>Can buy a Dell ex-workstation with dual X5670s for £150
>Apple machine with dual core2quad Xeons from 2008 costs £400

What's the cheap way to get an Apple machine for their user space? Hackintosh is... serviceable... but any updates can fuck your machine up instantly. I'm not talking Core2Duo white macbooks either, as they're completely unsupported at this point.

Even Mac Minis are extremely expensive for what they are. We're talking again, 400 for a machine 6-8 years old.

Attached: howdowefixthis.png (1127x437, 151K)

Troll around eBay, Craigslist and garage sales for deals, that's how I accumulated most of my systems, including my macs.

There's supposedly going to be a big mac release very soon that should help to drive down prices

speculated models to debut/refresh
Imac
mac mini
macbook air
macbook

qemu/kvm

My local university has a resale shop and the they sell all of their "old" equipment for dirt cheap. Servers, APs, Computers, you name it. That's where I got a lot of my stuff.

Also like said Ebay is a good place too. Don't look for working stuff though. Look for "broken". I got a macbook for cheap that had a dead battery. Not dead dead, like needed to be charged dead. It booted right up. I also got an iMac "broken". Ram and a hard drive later and it booted right up.

You're about as original as a Chinese smartphone

This was through ebay mind you. Do you just have to get lucky and hope someone isn't trying to sell their old ass computer for stupid money?

Yes. For some reason, people on eBay think their old macs are worth a fortune. I guess some people are paying those prices. Prices on Craigslist tend to be more reasonable, and also tend to be open to negotiation.

>>Do you just have to get lucky?
Be picky. If they are specific i.e. the logic board died, don't go for that. Look for the listings that say "it broke and I don't care to fix it". Even if it IS genuinely broke, it's not a magical machine because it has an apple on the front. Troubleshoot it and buy parts. I got a macbook air that someone spilled pop on, replaced the logic board and sure as shit it worked fine. $300. Last time I checked it's worth twice that. I threw it under my bed to use as a dedicated shitposting machine

Damn, I really do just want something cheap I can whack an SSD in and use for the odd thing here and there.

People are asking hundreds for Core2Duo iMacs, crazy people.

>What's the cheap way to get an Apple machine for their user space?
Gumtree maybe

Still about the same cost. Huh, kinda crazy.

Some guy near me is selling a rig with i5 3570, 16GB RAM, 500GB HD and no graphics card for 100 American sheckels. Is it a good deal for what it is?

Unless you specifically need macOS for some software or for a development environment for the App Store, there's no reason to buy Apple. You will always pay more for the same/worse hardware, there are no exceptions.

yes

>macshit
Found your problem.

Attached: 1511585322117.jpg (1024x768, 164K)

>but any updates can fuck your machine up instantly.
Not with clover senpai, running High Sierra stable with updates.

>fagOS
>stable
Pick one. Applel can't even get their toddler toy OS to work properly on their own toys.

Attached: 1526998006760.png (750x933, 317K)

Aww sweetie macOS is just unironically better than wangblows and loonix, if you were smart enough to set up a Hackintosh you'd realise how green the grass is on the other side.

>smart
>fagintosh

Attached: 1526385280330.png (798x770, 676K)

I work in small business IT. I interact with macOS almost on a daily basis.

It's utter shit. The hardware isn't any better than any of the other OEMs are producing, except for the finish, any configuration that is not entirely superficial is either difficult to find or non-existent, Finder is objectively inferior to nearly every other file manager I've ever used, including some mobile products (although Nautilus devs could give Apple a run for their money on this front), connecting to any non-Apple devices or services on the local network is backward and unintuitive, support for LDAP and AD DS in general is basically limited to allowing domain login, and in the interest of maintaining consistent design language with their mobile OS and using light neutral colors for everything, every UI is unintuitive as fuck. Mac users like to claim it is immune to viruses, which is completely false.

The only things macOS has going for it are bash and HFS/APFS, when compared to Windows. Neither of these things are benefits over Linux. Basically, unless you are balls deep into the Apple "ecosystem" (i.e. you enjoy burning large piles of money for fun) there is no reason to use macOS.

I work in small business IT, a startup and I use macOS as my daily OS, anything I need to do on Windows I can just RDP onto a desktop.
I really don't think you've used it for long, there's nothing wrong with finder and why the fuck would they use active directory for anything lmao
I have to manage all of the AD stuff and sweet jesus is some of the UI terrible, macOS looks damn good and miles ahead of Windows in terms of usability, anything I can do in Windows I can do faster in macOS. As for security, running malware on macOS is pretty damn difficult compared to running it on Windows especially for the average person, I've never have a problem with malware on windows or macOS.

I don't even own any Apple devices, my Pixel 2 connects to macs no problem.

POO IN LOO

Attached: 1532826567887.jpg (643x960, 256K)

>why the fuck would they use active directory for anything lmao
Let's see, group policy (which controls update policies, security policies, settings, and many other things per-user and per-computer), folder redirection, deploying printers, mapped network drives, automatic deployment, updating, removal, and redeployment (in case of removal) of third party applications, and that's just what I personally use on a daily basis in a SMB environment. Not to mention the DNS and DHCP services included with AD, although those can be made use of on macOS.

Finder tries to obfuscate the file system heirarchy by giving you links to your personal user folders. Network shares have to be accessed through a top bar menu, and since directory services are useless on macOS you'll have to use credentials every time you access a network share. Since Apple doesn't believe in a right mouse button, there is no context menu, and the normal ctrl+x, ctrl+v, ctrl+c, ctrl+a shortcuts don't work either, or if they do, the bindings are different from every other OS for no reason at all.

>but it looks nicer!
Fuck off, retard.

>#1
As you already mentioned, Hackintosh. If you plan ahead and buy the shit that showed good support already, the issues will be minimal.
>#2
Old MacMini. They are alright for basic stuff but as you noted, kinda over the top for what they offer.
>#3
New MacMini, shit is probably going to be expensive but also up to date.
>#4
A fucking Macbook Pro. Unless you need a REALLY powerful hardware, it's a decent option. Not really cheap compared to a desktop but hey, you're getting a baller ass laptop.

>connecting to any non-Apple devices or services on the local network is backward and unintuitive
Dude, what? I had fewer issues between Applel laptop to Windows 10 deskop than between two Windows 10 desktops. The complaint would've make sense a few years ago but recently?
> every UI is unintuitive as fuck
It's by far the most intuitive shit there is. Specially because of consistency, since every program has a very similar UI and you don't have to get used to new shit.
>Mac users like to claim it is immune to viruses, which is completely false.
The chance to get one is a lot lower due the lower amounts in the wild, but obviously anyone who believes that anything is immune to viruses is retarded.

>Dude, what? I had fewer issues between Applel laptop to Windows 10 desktop than between two Windows 10 desktops

First of all, there is no way to browse devices on the local network like you can in Windows or most Linux file managers. Unless you know either the IP address or the complete name of the machine you're trying to connect to good luck. Second, even once you've connected to another machine it treats the share as the root, instead of the machine, so if there are multiple shares on a machine which you want to access you have to go through the process of connecting for each one. There are other problems but explaining them would take too long.

>It's by far the most intuitive shit there is
All the buttons are just thin grey lines making up non-descriptive and unhelpful shapes on a white background. Many options are scattered throughout the top bar menus because they'd rather hide them away somewhere than put them somewhere easily accessible and yet they still somehow manage to take up the top 1/10 of every window with buttons and title/address bars.

>Since Apple doesn't believe in a right mouse button, there is no context menu,
Wait what? You know you can change that in settings?

>and the normal ctrl+x, ctrl+v, ctrl+c, ctrl+a shortcuts don't work either
They do for me brainlet

>Fuck off, retard.
Nice argument xD

I know for a fact ctrl+a and ctrl+x do not work. This is in finder, selecting and cutting files/folders, not in documents. Having to dig through settings to enable the use of context menus is the definition of cancer.

I know for a fact you can change the meta keys so control/cmd are swapped, copying and pasting files work fine and with xtrafinder you get a ton of other stuff that makes going between Windows and macOS much easier. The default for context menu is force touch on laptops btw, shitty but easily changed. At least there's one settings app lol.

>complete name of the machine you're trying to connect to good luck
How would that be an issue on a local network?
>so if there are multiple shares on a machine which you want to access you have to go through the process of connecting for each one.
N-nope. Never had the issue.
>All the buttons are just thin grey lines making up non-descriptive and unhelpful shapes on a white background
Assuming you're using it for longer than a week, you know what the "non-descriptive" shapes actually mean. Though the white background is cancerous indeed, but it's fixed with dark mode anyway now.
>Many options are scattered throughout the top bar menus
How are they "scattered" when they are at the same places for like 90#% of programs unlike on any other OS?

As for your reply to the other user about lack of right mouse button, you do realise that you can adjust all the shit, right? Sounds like you try to use it like an OS you're already used to, instead of embracing that some things are done differently. How long have you been using it for?

So what you're saying is the defaults are shit too

>applel

Attached: 1518491497391.jpg (1024x768, 232K)

Every OS is shit by default, ones are just less shit than others, it's the tools you use and the workflow that matters.

I use it at least weekly.

>How would that be an issue on a local network
>N-nope. Never had the issue.
Then you don't use network file sharing very much, if at all.

>Assuming you're using it for longer than a week
Remind me, what is the definition of "intuitive"?

>I use it at least weekly.
Nah, sure but for what period of time? I get where you're coming from, had the same baby duck syndrome after just switching to it but after a month or so, all the shit is just as non issue.
>Then you don't use network file sharing very much, if at all.
Depends, sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly, but always without a hitch.
>Remind me, what is the definition of "intuitive"?
It makes sense to someone who just starting out. Like people moving from smartphones to desktops. Put a person who never/rarely used a computer in-front of different OSes and they'll have a much easier time to use MacOS.
For us it might be less intuitive due years of using another OS and totally internalising the workflows they got.

Pretty shit if it wasn't for the ram

Basically, it all boils down to this: for personal use on a home network it's entirely personal preference.

For a business network, fuck macOS. Anyone using macOS in a business environment who isn't tied to a specific piece of software that is macOS-exclusive (why would you do this?) there are no benefits and several downsides to using macOS at work.

I should also mention that my perception of macOS is also somewhat affected by my perception of its users. Nearly all the mac users I've dealt with were utter retards. Couldn't figure out why their emails were deleted after they closed the preview window by mashing the delete button like a retard (because they thought they could edit the text of said email, which they had received from someone else), believe their hardware is the fastest around, they can't get viruses, no understanding whatsoever of networking, file systems, computer hardware, or really anything more complex than updating their Facebook status.

>for what period of time
An hour or two at a time, sometimes once a week, sometimes more.

You probably have a NAS or one machine doing all the sharing. I'm talking about multiple servers, as well as accessing the root of the file system on other machines for various reasons, multiple shares either for organizational purposes or because there are multiple physical/logical volumes, sharing printers (to be deployed through group policy), etc.

>and they'll have a much easier time to use MacOS
I had an easier time learning Linux. That's a load of bullshit you've been fed. The only scenario where macOS is more intuitive is if you've been an iPhone user for a long time.

>forgetting the most cancerous bit when mac users bitch about any suggestion of tweaks with "it works best if you leave it alone"

>I had an easier time learning Linux.
Because most GUIs just ape Windows.

Nautilus is more similar to Finder than it is to File Explorer. I use Nemo now because Nautilus is utter shit, but still.

>drive down prices
Apple hardware doesn't go down in price much, even used.

>Because most GUIs just ape OSX.
Fixed.
Including Windows - badly.

Attached: 1535127817584.png (500x387, 114K)

> 400 for a machine 6-8 years old
I can’t imagine where you found those prices.

Attached: image.jpg (700x700, 232K)

>apple

nope

I looked into those Dell workstations for doing network calculations but decided against because age/power consumption. Bang/buck they're the best used deal out there, but in the long term building new ends up costing less.

>hackintosh

the very idea gives me nightmares.

>but any updates can fuck your machine up instantly
Stop telling lies. This has been true since Maverick.

Attached: 1534893184522.jpg (581x603, 64K)

hasn't*

>For a business network, fuck macOS.
Why?

>there are no benefits and several downsides to using macOS at work.
Like what?

>I should also mention that my perception of macOS is also somewhat affected by my perception of its users.
Oh boy here we go vast generalisations, I've met a ton of very intelligent people that use macOS, a lot of them contractors with tons of experience with Microsoft services but that doesn't mean all macOS users are like that, the difference for me is that shit goes wrong with MS stuff way more regularly and I have to fix it.

There's literally a picture of Ebay up there.

Provided you perfectly picked parts with instant Kext compatibility. If you have to use a third party Kext and update, the machine will throw a fit.

Put it back! Mom said you're not allowed to touch her computer!

>emitted
Even their releases sound like bodily waste functions

I genuinely don't understand what the purpose behind owning a Mac is.
Every single release there's always a shitstorm as the result of some design flaw.
They're really fucking overpriced, and not strong enough to warrant it.
The OS seems fine, but the selling point is that it's more stable than Windows, which might have been true in pre-SP1 XP days and Vista days, but now not so much. Doesn't seem much easier to use either.

So what's so appealing, besides the brand? I know when I'm taking notes in class I look like a sperg sitting with a notebook or a Thinkpad surrounded by Apple users, but at least I didn't splurge $1500 on a Facebook/Word machine.

Attached: facehead.png (224x205, 6K)

The old Mac Pro case alone is worth more than most Windows desktops. And 400 bucks for a pc with octa core, 32gb ram and a fucking SSD is actually pretty fucking cheap.

>They're really fucking overpriced, and not strong enough to warrant it.
This is about technology, not about buying horse, user.

It's a terrible 8 core machine with DDR2 and whatever budget SSD they could throw in it. Please don't mistake it for a good computer.

One of the things I like about OS X is the relatively small footprint. You install OS X, it takes up like 10GB. You install your other bare essential programs, you're at like 16GB.

You install Windows, it takes up like 40-50GB. You install your bare essential programs, which then require enormous run time updates, packages etc and you end up at like 100GB. I've used 80GB of storage on W10, MS Office, and bare essentials like a web browser, video player, 7zip etc.

>Please don't mistake it for a good computer.
It's just 400 bucks, obviously it's not going to be great but the spec is more than fine for the price. Plus obviously there is the case which you can use for whatever with a bit of work.

>You install OS X, it takes up like 10GB.
Not really, the very base install is closer to 15GB. Even the MacOS installer is way, way larger than W10 one. On Windows it's barely more than 15GB if you have Enterprise and delete some of the bloat on the image. The only huge downside are the additional packages not being included and you having to search for some old ass vcredist. Plus Windows updates are such a random ass mess, which can take 3 times the time to install the OS.

>W10, MS Office, and bare essentials like a web browser, video player, 7zip etc.
Got all this plus Photoshop, plus some small basic stuff I needed and "only" 60GB storage used on a 120GB SSD. Did you delete the files after updates and the likes? Store the backups on the same partition?

Apparently the update files only amounted to ~3GB. Even so, Windows always ends up with a larger footprint for me.

It generally does but I wouldn't say the difference is that massive these days. "Small footprint" doesn't really apply to either, and even mobile OSes get larger and larger, why being efficient if the devs can expect the users to pony up for a higher storage tier?

I just found all of the 'games' Windows decided to install, again. This is why I wouldn't mind a Mac on the side, for doing shit in a more clean environment where I'm not constantly getting cluttered with garbage.

>2018
>computers decide what to install
This is the best timeline.

Though it's not like MacOS doesn't include its share of bloat, they are just so in your face with it as Windows became.