For all you comp sci majors, how often do you use all that calculus in your job, if at all?

for all you comp sci majors, how often do you use all that calculus in your job, if at all?

Attached: pep.jpg (900x720, 98K)

Never, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. You should just know how to integrate, user

im just shit at math senpai, working on it tho

Every day during lunch for fun

Attached: 1486613122301.jpg (1000x800, 40K)

The only purpose of calculus is to filter brainlets

Attached: 1529227937071.png (136x102, 25K)

Can someone explain to me why you have to learn all these bullshit algorithms and memorize them for interviews when you're never going to be implementing them off the top of your head but rather using a tried-and-proven reference implementation best suited for your task?

I did CompE which expected way more than calculus and I hardly ever use it, except in some computer vision shit which is mostly linalg and DiffEq anyway

I used an integral once.

You're not supposed to memorize them, brainlet, you're supposed to find a solution when faced with a problem. The fact you're memorizing them and failing just means you're shit and should look for another job.

You mean the solution that is already done for you, and just needs to be implemented, but since you didn't "learn" anything, you have to "find a solution". Who's the brainlet again?

How can you apply something without remembering how it works or how to do it?

Attached: 1488050794051.jpg (153x123, 4K)

Studied economics and ended up programming procedures in SQL as IT consultant. Fuck calculus.

Attached: 6908402682.png (996x695, 423K)

The fact that you're "supposed to" do something, but you can also memorize it like a drone means those interview questions are utter shit to begin with.

Attached: aivo_aukko.jpg (1218x1015, 212K)

Except many of these algorithms were developed by academics over the course of years of work, especially in regards to their efficiency, etc, and claiming you should be able to reinvent the wheel on the spot suggests you have no idea what you're talking about.

Think about it this way. Of you are not clever enough to find the solution to a problem then you will have to google a solution and adapt it to your specific sitiation. That is going to take time depending on how complicated the problem is. If you have several complicated issues to resolve and you are a brainlet, you are going to be using google all the time.
Compare that vs someone who actually understands and likes logic/math. Why would anyone pay you 100k/year for googling when they can pay the same to a real problem solver who once in a while will come up with truly brilliant ideas?
If everyone was a brainlet then you would be golden as long as you were the top brainlet. But there are people out there who actually understand and enjoy numbers.

t. Larper

If you are going into software development, why are you going with Cumpewter Sciyens? Just go with Information Systems or Software Engineering. Why break your anus on theory?

That is why companies throw curve balls at you and ask you questions during the whole whiteboard process. They are not just like: write me a program that showa the fibonacci sequence. They want to see your thought process.
Plus if you can menorize several algorithms and adapt them depending on dynamic requirements, that counts for something.

As a person who is about to go into CompSci, this info is very helpful, thanks!

You don't have to re invent anything. If you study algorithms, understand the concepts and logic, and you are asked to implement something resembling an algorithm, you will be able to recall some of the procedures and hopefully recreate the algorithm not tru memorization but understanding.
Its like the difference between memorizing how to divide fractions (you cross multiply) and understanding why you crossmultiply. In one scenario you memorized it and in the other you have a deeper understanding of why things that way.

>this retard is going to re-invent and do entire algorithms from scratch instead of just utilizing what he learned in school (you know, the place where you learn stuff that you apply later on, like in your job here)
Problem solving is only useful when a solution doesn't already exist fyi.

Attached: 1534184632189.jpg (896x960, 99K)

LOL ok. Even if that is the case, you are going to be incompetent so long as there are people who can re invent the algorithm from scratch. One way or aother, if you cant come up with a solution on the spot then you are a brainlet so long as you are competing with people who can.

>Why would anyone pay you 100k/year for googling when they can pay the same to a real problem solver
If somebody can get by simply searching the internet, the question actually becomes
>why would anyone pay a problem solver 100k/year when a retard with internet access could do the job while being paid less?

>If somebody can get by simply searching the internet, the question actually becomes

because that is not the case. but some of the brainlets in here think it is the case and that is also exactly why whiteboard interviews exist and why most people hate them.
pro tip: most people are awful problem solving and logical thinking
Try to remember to your high school algebra and college calculus classes and think about how how many people were exceeding at those subjects. Probably very few.

I've just figured out that all those pictures of wojak with black hole in the head are actually compliments since black hole is actually very heavy, contains lot of matter and isn't "hole" at all.

Never, but sometimes linear algebra and discrete math

Calculus is mostly useful for understanding optimization algorithms I think. If someone says gradient descent and you have no clue what a gradient or a derivative is you might have trouble. Linear algebra is also very useful for things like 3d or a lot of numerical methods.

If you don't know what that stuff means you can use libraries but youj'll have no intuition about what's going on so you'll be helpless when things don't work right. Good luck with the deep learning meme if you don't know any calculus / linear algebra

If you just want to get hired to add a button to a webapp then go ahead, all that shit is useless, just watch out because Pajeet is willing to work for less than you

I just want easy money, I don't give a shit about "fulfillment" or "learning". I beat pajeets with my perfect English and better credentials. At my current rate I'll be able to retire in 10 years, at least partially. Don't care about what happens to the job market after.
t. 27yro webdev

I never did more than precalc, mostly just need basic algebra, not even that most of the time.

It depends on what the programmer is working on. But to answer your question, unless you want to get in on the high bucks, you could land a 6 digit job with compsci so long you are capable in the other subjects. That said, you will need calculus so you can graduate. I use calculus and diff equations a lot, though most of it is due to me working in AI R&D. We get paid handsomely, and in the case that is what you are aiming for, then you will have to learn calculus AND be pretty good at it.

Attached: CS can't into calc.png (695x378, 55K)

>thinks academics are smart

Attached: oboe.png (305x256, 87K)

Many reasons:

>IQ test
>tests your skills under pressure
>sees if you paid attention in college
>tests your ability to ask for help and communicate when it comes to problems you have
>sees if you know how to computer

Interviews aren't graded based on if you solved the problem, but how you solved it. Including your behavior. Actually, especially you're behavior.

Haha How Is Integration Even Real Haha Like Just Differentiate Backwards Nigga

>implying I went to college

Attached: 1400461318826.jpg (502x460, 37K)

It depends. Calculus is mostly used in fields where a lot of calculation(hur hur hur) takes place: AI, graphic rendering, statistics, and others.

Even so, it's best not to squander it because Calculus can and will hone your problem solving skills. Those skills are what matter in the field.

Trust me OP, you need to know Lebesgue and Henstock integration if you really want to be a good programmer.

Attached: g.png (1056x442, 71K)

>this kills the code monkey

Attached: math exam SampleWritten.png (698x1576, 88K)

>thinks you can get anywhere in statistics or information theory without measure theory

kek

They don't want anyone who didn't go to college.

>Applied Math major
>the smug typical of Math + useful skills

>for all you comp sci majors, how often do you use all that calculus in your job, if at all?

>be CPE major
> learn differential equations
> learn fourier transforms
> learn how motors work
> learn how circuits work
> forget all that shit 2 years out of college
> nearly kill self trying to learn web development which was never taught in school

Calculus is taught to all sciences so that the "Tai's method" incident never occurs again