/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: coffee-kizoku headphones k-books seifuku.jpg (1038x1061, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Vm42CjYhOg
youtube.com/watch?v=I9OTOAKy2DY
youtube.com/watch?v=xo2xDhu7JK8
mega.nz/#!L4hAGAIZ!XI_3EIBLrxGBRflsaT0VGXOz4Q8k3DMPKux0XPoPC3A
mega.nz/#!P0pBxKIB!0Q7EOhBbnYiU2GeFeneomdwUS917FvzTBzUAS2DxsEQ
head-fi.org/threads/massdrop-x-focal-elex-review-measurements.867615/page-46#post-14228871
youtube.com/watch?v=-AqyMtpvYWc
youtube.com/watch?v=o4CsvAoxjeo
youtu.be/iK3_k_EC3_U
youtu.be/PoaLz0UK6KY
youtu.be/pVLy3vhV4dM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

any staxbro here has tried vesper audio custom pads?
did they changed the sound?

>Hifiman Sundara
>Frequency Range: 6-75,000 Hz
>Impedance: 37 ohms
>Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 94 dB
>$500

>Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 94 dB
Useless information

>6-75,000 Hz
Is there any article i can read on FR range on headphones?
I've seen people saying it's to avoid perceivable distortion near the end of the audible spectrum but i've never actually seen any source to that claim. Honestly curious.

looking for a general use portable dac/amp that has power for 300ohm headphones if i need it, is the monoprice usb dac/amp / dragonfly a good pick here?

Topping NX4DSD or Sabaj DA3

WILLIAM THE SON OF SCHIIT SHILL HAS BEEN CURSED

BUY SCHIIT

Attached: deruntermensch.jpg (613x595, 89K)

Wow! Just a humble gamer here with my HD800... What an epic experience! Thanks Sennheiser!

Attached: sennheiser-gamer.png (568x394, 291K)

What is wrong with HD800?

I don't know. In the source video, he says that the 800s can replicate the high-pitched ringing of gunshots perfectly, thought that was kind of neat.

>e-celebs
die faggot

>tfw finally went from 650 to 800s

Had to EQ the brightness away but I'm really happy. That said, I listen to a lot of stuff but neither one really brought me the energy I want from electronic music, is a TH900 a good pick as a secondary purchase for that?

>awhile ago
>buy an he-400 off of amazon
>they send me an he-500 instead
>they proceed to fall the fuck apart
>they're made of dollar store plastic or some shit

What would be a non-LoFiMan upgrade to these? I liked them, didn't even have a proper amp for them.

Sidegrade.
Go demo Stax, it might have that kind of bass you are looking for.

I wish I had a gf like that.

Would a Bluetooth MMCX cable compromise the sound of a tin t2?

can I EQ my HD600 to actually sound like HD650s or is it more complicated than that in real life

You can but the HD 650 is worst.

Attached: hd6xx series.png (613x477, 25K)

Should I get ZST Pro or ZSA?

will schiit make my headphones explode

Do not buy Schiit products!

I'll be honest. Audiophile headphones for gaming are an overkill. You need good sound for gaming but it's not like music where you have so many things to consider. Spending more than $200 for headphones that will exclusively be used for gaming is just a waste.

I love my HD650 for gaming, though

If your primary use is for music and you also happen to occasionally use them for gaming as well, that's okay.

I've had extended demo sessions with most TOTL cans and can't justify spending more than the 58X. I listen to modern genres mostly with a dash of classical or old rock/pop.
Crazy how I'd rather spend huge on TOTL IEMs than full sized.
Tho if there was one full sized, it's be the Focal Clear.

Try stax

Music is music.

Oh look, it's another poster who has heard "TOTL" headphones that aren't stax and ends up being disappointed. gee what a shocker

>You need good sound for gaming but
>but

I also wouldn’t recommend buying ultra expensive heaphones solely for gaming, but hot damn it feels nice to game on Focal Clears. While the soundstage could be a bit larger, imaging is top-notch and no other headphone I have ever tried gives gunshots such a realistic kick and crackle. Of course, the gap between it and cheaper headphones is still smaller in gaming than it is with music.

>but hot damn it feels nice to game on Focal Clears.
>soundstage
>imaging is top-notch
>such a realistic kick and crackle

Attached: Aww_shit_I__039_m_feelin_it.gif (320x240, 273K)

youtube.com/watch?v=2Vm42CjYhOg
youtube.com/watch?v=I9OTOAKy2DY
youtube.com/watch?v=xo2xDhu7JK8
Put aside your sound demo hate and the fact that the second link is recorded with a better gear, and open vs closed headphones. Which one sounds the best?

Stax shills on /hpg/ need to leave. Freaking atrocious.

Focal Clears are so good right? They're the only TOTL cans worth considering in 2018.

>Sound demo
>Zeos
Anyway, HD600 > HM5.
Also, usually open-back > closed-back, unless you want isolation.

It is indeed a bit of an overkill because most game sounds are not-so-well-compressed MP3, on the other hand most recent games have quite complex soundscapes, so the player might benefit from a somewhat neutral FR with good bass extention. As you can guess, the less distortions the better as well.
Also, a Key factor for immersion is comfort, simply because it's easier to immerse yourself if you don't have constant stimuli from outside the game, which includes uncomfortable pads for example.
I still haven't done any research on headphone soundstage in games, but imho a gamer would see (or hear) more benefit from closed-backs as it also deminishes outside input, and while most people find their gaming environment silent enough there's always the presence of some fundamental sound like computer fans or something (you know, the kind of sound you only notice was there after it stops, in the silence that follows). Ideally the senses should only feel whatever is presented by the virtual reality for an immersive gaming experience.

Clears are great unless you listen mainly to something like orchestral music that needs fuckhuge soundstage, then I would get HD800. Stax is also always a good option, as long as you like their unique sound signature.

Buy TOPPING D50

Buy RME ADI-2 DAC

Both blew my leggings off!

Attached: 46B63756-417D-4198-A310-59A7E41E6E42.jpg (192x192, 15K)

What’s on the hotlist my fellow buypigs? I’m planning on snagging a pair of L2s to see if they’re /comfy/ enough to be one of my mains.

Attached: 647E3471-5725-4ECC-9E35-382292A38854.jpg (1280x720, 563K)

HF5 or shall I bite the bullet and go for ER4SR?

Attached: 1517199221361.jpg (945x1500, 154K)

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Been a while, coffee kizoku OP user.

Attached: 1516326332794.png (1870x1050, 91K)

I have those, really enjoy the sound, it's very warm and relaxing, comfort however is not that good, the pads are very nice and soft but the top of the headband is constantly pressing against the skull, after an hour it starts to get really painful.
How much are you paying for them? Maybe we can think of a few alternatives if comfort os your priority.

Attached: Setup (Second Version).png (1617x723, 2.14M)

DT990s are the best gaming headphones.

I value comfort over all, so I use earbuds (VE Monk Plus)

- no hot ears
- nothing on the top of my head
- open sound
- acceptable sound quality
- I can hear the world around me
- It feels like I'm wearing nothing at all
- $5 + shipping on AliExpress

Attached: VE Monk Plus.jpg (950x634, 41K)

Haven’t looked too hard but the going price for new seems to be about $175. I’m not interested in open cans right now and I’ve got DT-770s for comfort

You are NOT interested in open? But the L2 is semi-open.
For that price i don't think you can do much better than the DT770 in terms of comfort. For 200 bucks you could get a DT250 which is pretty neutral, but it wont be as comfortable.

Attached: cease.png (323x225, 125K)

kek

Attached: 1505033098435.gif (234x320, 2.58M)

Aight, /hpg/, need your help with determining what kind of fuckery I have wilth my old floorspeakers. I hear distorted sound in complex songs, seems like it's related to bass. Is this voice coil rub or something?

Sound sample:
mega.nz/#!L4hAGAIZ!XI_3EIBLrxGBRflsaT0VGXOz4Q8k3DMPKux0XPoPC3A

Most obvious distortion from 28 to 32 seconds.

Semi-open, yes. Full open, no.

Semi open is basically open, not much of a difference between the two.

Uh, are you not sure that it isn't an artifact of the recording itself (or the instrument)? Because it sounds like an issue with the recording. I tested it on both my speakers and several headphones, and there is clearly some fuzziness at the 28-32 second section.

I asked because it hardly isolates, there's no standart for how much a semi-open should isolate, some are almost closed, some are pretty much open.
If you really want semi-open you will either have to rely on isolation measurements and subjective impressions or actually test them yourself before buying.

Yea, pretty much this. Very little difference at all.

Nope, not with original recording nor my smartphone's recording. I hear the same sound from speakers; I do not hear it with headphones. And it's not only this song, same kind of noise could be heard in some parts of other complex songs.

Hey Jow Forumsuys. I'm new to the audiophile game and looking for some advice.
>Budget
$150-$200 a little flexible on it but not much
>Location
'Merica
>Source
Mostly my phone but I will pop them into my pc about 30% of the time
>Type of headphone
Over ear?
>Open or closed
Preferably closed because I will use them in public alot
>Comfort level
I would like them to be pretty comfortable but its not a necessity
>Sound signature
Balanced
>Past headphones
The AKG earbuds I got with my note 8. Before then I had been using the Apple earbuds and didn't realize what I was missing out on and now I want moar

Well, anyone else wanna chime in to ? I still think it just sounds like an artifact of poor recording or the instrument itself.

DT770 are the best closed under $200, but they're big and have a long cable so I wouldn't use them for a portable set.
If you don't mind looking autistic, you'll be happy with the Pro 82 or CB-1.
If you do mind, I'd go with the CAL!
With your budget you could buy a closed set for portable and another for home, which is what I'd recommend.

Thanks I'll give them a look.

The original recording is fine, just a bitch to play, especially that 28-32 part. Here it is:
mega.nz/#!P0pBxKIB!0Q7EOhBbnYiU2GeFeneomdwUS917FvzTBzUAS2DxsEQ

DT250 80ohms.
If you can stretch the budget a bit you could also get some compatible dekoni pads for extra comfort.

Not hps related but any of you fags using Moode Audio player with Rpi3? It's pretty good, Volumio had a lot of issues with the web interface dropping connection, this is working well so far.

>Focal Clears are so good right? They're the only TOTL cans worth considering in 2018.

>Everything about them is perfect except for one thing: the SPL tolerance. I am a loud listener (80-95dB normally. I know it's unhealthy, but I do it anyway) & the Elex does not do well with high volumes. There's distortion in the form of crackling, popping, and driver rattling whenever they're pushed too high
>That's not even the biggest issue though. There's apparently inconsistencies with the SPL tolerance because my first pair are far more sensitive than my second pair. Some on Head-Fi even stated that at the same decibel levels they aren't getting the same distortion that I am (some even going as high as 140db before hitting it which is insane.) It's inconsistent with the bass too because some subbass makes it distort, others doesn't. Some midbass makes it distort, others doesn't. I'm not the only one with this issue either.

$4k headphone (utopia) has clipping issues fucking lmao

>If we change your pair of headphones, the new one will be designed similarly and it will also have a kind of cracking sound when you will be listening to music with high volume and a fair amount of bass.
>The only solution we can recommend you is therefore to listen to your headphones at a lower volume.
head-fi.org/threads/massdrop-x-focal-elex-review-measurements.867615/page-46#post-14228871

Yet again proving that more money does not equal better sound.

Only upgrade to the hifiman he 500 is stax. They're incredible value especially with focus pads/jergpads

>mechanical clipping
>ever being a problem for a headphone
Good lord, how incompetent are the french?

Attached: 1534675717644.png (751x584, 329K)

what's funny is people buy focal for its punchy sound instead of just EQing in more bass. surprise surprise focal cans are shit at bass.

opinions about these

Attached: 2757441.jpg (500x500, 26K)

what kind of headphones do you use for songs like youtube.com/watch?v=-AqyMtpvYWc and how many DB needed?

>Budget
~$150-250
>Location
US
>Source
Smartphone
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
At least average, would like some isolation though
>Sound signature
Bassy/Warm (I listen to a lot of techno)
>Past headphones
Shure SE215

>I listen to a lot of techno
so i bet you like or youtube.com/watch?v=o4CsvAoxjeo

>e-celeb
fuck off and die again ironic weeb

Ehhhhhh I don't like hardcore much, I'm more of a detroit techno kind of guy
youtu.be/iK3_k_EC3_U
youtu.be/PoaLz0UK6KY
youtu.be/pVLy3vhV4dM

ATH-M40x or ATH-AD700X?

I'm sorry HM5 sounds better than your HD600.

doesn't matter, you showed an eceleb you should die for it, and he's one of the worst ecelebs out there that i know of

>doesn't matter
yes it does
>you showed an eceleb
he is just a well known guy among audiophiles
>he's one of the worst ecelebs out there that i know of
he's cool and has a nice shirt

>he is just a well known guy among audiophiles
so eceleb who gives a shit? you are just one of these kids that born in 90
>he's cool
he's an ironic weeb with a shitty tastes in wifes

I had the chance to try a pair of Nighthawk Carbons for about 15 mins at a store and they sounded extraordinarily boring. What kind of a sound sig should I look into if I want to avoid something like these? I don't know what their source was, but I think it was some Sony DAP.

he's a redditor? so it implies that you are one?

at least you like his shirt
>he's a redditor?
yes
>so it implies that you are one?
no

>at least you like his shirt
no?

You guys are fucking insufferable with this shit and make everyone look bad

Indeed. But thanks to Zeos, many hpg anons were enlightened to ditch HD600 for Stax.

then you have bad taste in shirts

Mistakes can not be forgotten my son.

Even Zeos makes mistakes.

Shut the fuck up with the eceleb shit you fucking retarded sheep

First you go this and now you go Ad Hominem. Well done, bud.

No one is going to be enlightened by sound demos. Go fuck yourself.

fuck off nostaxer, we don't want your ilk

I'm neither of those people. Stop chasing ghost just because someone hates your shitty eceleb god or doesn't give a shit about him

How fucking old you are?

Not really headphones but I'm looking for new bluetooth earbuds

>Budget
Don't have one
>Location
Scandinavia
>Source
Plugging into phone and laptop.
>Type of headphone
earbuds
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Usually listen to jazz and blues, so lows and mids'd be nice.
>Past headphones
AKG q700, ATH-M50's

please no big ugly ones.

Attached: 39922786_1963611653659711_4646188517213339648_n.jpg (715x725, 57K)

Attached: iphone earbuds.jpg (425x425, 8K)

Despite how much you want yourselves separated from Z, you can't. Z made a big influence on Stax, so if you have or like it, you are Z-marked.
I know. Just used someone's pic, which fits the context. Also, Ad Hominem is not a human being. You should relax, bud, being nervous doesn't help your text interpretation.

Just traded my Coffin Case and shitty bass for a like new pair of Beats Solo2 wireless. I know how sub-par you guys say they are, but I wanted something convenient for the commute to class. I feel content with the trade.

is the LG V30 the best phone for listening to music? asking for a friend

Stop talking a smart ass, i know what is ad hominem. My question is why did you linked me to this post instead of posting that yourself? are you on your phone or something? ad hominem is a situation where the person attacks x characteristics without any logical context, but there literally nothing arguable with someone ironically watching other people just because

yes