/spg/ - Smartphone General

iPhone X Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: iphone-x-54.jpg (3000x2000, 385K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidauthority.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-reddit-897572/
youtube.com/watch?v=_9QmKB1JOo8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>notched

FUCK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I want a new phone but I don't want to wait too long. Honor 10 or Pocophone? Pocophone takes like a few more weeks to come out and I could get the Honor next week. Is it worth it to wait?

I'm from Luxembourg and am using a cheap ass carrier.

poco's coming out tomorrow

What's the best Xiaomi that's as close to compact as possible? I've basically given up on getting a phone that's actually small to the point of being iphone4 size. But i'd like to keep things as small as reasonably possible while maintaining modern specs.

>Luxembourg
Aren't you like the richest country in the world? What are you doing looking at chinkphones?

Isn't tomorrow just the "release" but not the sales launch?

I'm still in University and I just want a cheap but good phone to switch to. My iPhone isn't doing it anymore.

I see, so just wait for the 6T to hear how well it performs the decide if to get that?

What's wrong with iPhone SE or Sony XZ1 Compact? Too expensive? With Xiaomi the most compact ones are Redmi 5A or Redmi 4X, both around 140mm.

Well, yeah. At this point of the year I'd say it's better to wait for the OP6T rather than go for the OP6 now.

most retailers already have pocos, and will start sending them out before the 29th apparently. If not tomorrow, it's still just like 3/4 days away

Sadly none everything is now 5+, only sony nokia and lowend samsung make smaller display now.

Sweet, any suggestion on where to get it/best choice for Online purchasing?

imagine being so retarded you actually buy a notched phone
lmao

Attached: 5c45d49f18c7ac2990f248362067a279_1.png (751x1066, 293K)

Some good USA compatible notchless Android 8 or newer phones?

s9

Sadly I'm not too sure as I live in Italy and mostly rely on amazon.it or some local retailers such as mediaworld. I'd suggest you do the same but try asking in here too, I'm sure they'll give you useful pointers

I assume amazon.de, amazon.fr or amazon.es ship to there? That's probably your best choice.

I'll go with Amazon then, hoping it gets listed on there tomorrow, Thanks

yep, that's what I'll be doing too, good luck buddy

Mi Mix 2S

>need a new phone
>at the point of the year where theres less than a month for a ton of new phones being released/announced

Man this is tough. I really want a Mi Mix 2s but the Mi Mix 3 can't be very far away and the chance it might have a better display is the only thing stopping me.

Mix 2 for 370 or Nokia 7 plus for 350

Mix 2

Mix 3 is coming on September 15 apparently

Wait for Pocophone

What does installing the app do?

if you don't care about root, Nokia
If you want to root/flash, Mix 2

Dont really want to flash, why is the Nokia better then?

Right, I heard that and realized I'd be an idiot to buy a 2s right now, the price will drop either way

Rumors say it will have a 6.4 OLED display and thats the biggest selling point for me. As long as the price isn't far from $500 I'm going for it

Looking for advice, I don't know shit about phones. I float between Australia and Japan at the moment for work, so need a dual sim phone for that. NFC should be included, battery life is a priority too. Used for mostly messaging, emails, and listening to music/podcasts.
Looking to spend around 300 USD, is the snappiest thing I'm going to able to get in that price range a xiaomi that actually includes the NFC?

Android One, guaranteed support for security and feature updates for two years from launch of the phone
Mi Mix 2 has MIUI OS, and not stock whatsoever, you have to flash Lineage or other ROMs to get stock which can possibly be buggy
Best to go with already stock, plus there are GCam ports for the Nokia that don't require root which is a must have to improve the quality of the camera

Mi Mix 2 would be your beat bet i think and it has NFC, I would check to make sure the Japanese bands are picked up by the phone first though

Is there a huge performance difference between them? The only games I play are Exiled Kingdoms and Snes, N64, GBA and PSP emulators

Moto Z3 Play for 400 good? Don't care about headphone jack missing

Might be a dumb question but should you just wash a water resistant phone instead of wiping it with a microfiber cloth? It would seem like putting it under a lukewarm stream of water would take care of the greasy finger residue and dust better without the chance of getting microscratches.

Might as well get the regular Z3 for $480?

note 9 is god tier 2bh. feel bad for those who don't have one

not sure about the emulators, I don't game on my phone, but the 660 in the Nokia is about as powerful as a SD 820, the Mix 2 has the SD 835 which is more powerful than the 660 though

if you're willing to spend more, sure
pic related

Attached: 1532673213297.jpg (418x482, 52K)

desu would still be better to use a microfiber towel, they're amazing for cleaning fingerprints

Is the OnePlus 6 still the most complete chinkphone? The Mi8 is no good for me because of no band 28.

Is the XZ1 Compact too small for gaming?

Should I install Samsung software updates, or keep my phone how it is in case a Snapdragon exploit is discovered?

What should I replace my g3 with?
Is there anything that still has a removable battery and micro sd card?
Or is removable battery not a thing because of water proofing?
Are all the phones mostly rootable and flashable still too?
Fuck I'm so out of touch.

Mix 2 and 2S both have B28

Just install the updates. If you wanted root or custom ROMs you picked the wrong phone.

Removable battery isn't really a thing anymore, only a handful of budget phones have it. Only phones from certain manufacturers are rootable and flashable, most don't allow you to unlock the bootloader to do so.

>telling people to buy the iPhone X
>the new iPhones come out in less than a month
actually kys

get an iPhone SE

Should be fine for most games. It's 4.6", the original PSP was 4.3" and Nintendo DS was 3.0". Depends on what games you're planning to play. FPS's might get cramped with the onscreen controls.

Where does it tell people to buy the iPhone X?
Retard

Oneplus 6 or note 8? I care about speed and battery life. Dev community is a plus but not mandatory if the phone is good. How about Poco? I'm in the US.

Mix 2S, Poco F1 isn't going to launch with a North American variant

Why look at either phone when Pocophone exists?

Poco is made of plastic

Isn't the global version coming out? That won't work in the US?

probably will only pick up two bands, B2 & B4, which are higher frequency bands which means outside of cities you will have completely shit coverage
just get a Mi Mix 2/2S, they pick up all American GSM LTE frequencies from T-Mo(except B71) and AT&T and their MVNOs

Or just wait until global variant gets released.

the global variant isn't going to pick up the majority of US/CA LTE bands dingus, they've already said they aren't focusing on North America with the F1
as i posted earlier, you will be lucky if it picks up 2 of the 5-6 US/CA LTE bands

>Mani also addressed the fact that there are no plans to bring the Pocophone F1 to the United States. According to the interview, Xiaomi is still actively thinking about entering the U.S. market but is concerned that there isn’t enough of a demand for price-conscious offerings like the F1. Xiaomi doesn’t know if consumers will take to devices that don’t have the word “Samsung” or “Apple” in their name.
androidauthority.com/xiaomi-pocophone-f1-reddit-897572/

S9 line, Note 8 or 9, Pixel 2 line, some LG phones. If you are on tmobile you could go OnePlus 6 or 6T(comes out around october)

So? Plastic is good, more durable than glass or ceramic. Back on Nokia 7 Plus is also plastic, btw. "Ceramic feel" = painted plastic.

Does the Poco have a metal frame?

>tfw almost switch to iphone 8 plus but the bezels and software looks the same as my old iphone 5S
not falling for the notch meme either, just went for a s9+ instead

Looking for a recommendation.

USA
Verizon
Has to be rootable
Good battery, removable if possible
Bells and whistles not required
Android obviously
Non OLED screen, don't want burn-in

Even on phablets I find gaming is too small on.

Essential Phone

should I buy the S9 when it drops under 500 €? I'm rich but stingy and my old phone is starting to annoy me. seeing how much the price has dropped makes it ever harder to justify not buying it.

Is the Poco F1 the greatest chink phone since the Zuk Z2?

Tough luck for and perhaps only the US.

Canada is included in this considering they us US LTE bands as well
I mean no one knew who ZTEor Huawei were but people still bought the phones, Xiaomi just uses bullshit excuses not to enter the market, but since Congress have a hard on for banning Chinese phones, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the real reason why they won't sell them in the states

I'll ask here since I didn't get a reply last thread

What do people usually do upon getting a new android phone now-a-days?
Suggested apps/programs to install?
Or are they pretty good now and it's all just personal preference?

Attached: My favorite.gif (500x229, 493K)

Not sure, Android Authority's review says it's an aluminium frame, GSMarena says it's plastic. But I'm not sure what this "plastic = bad" meme is anyway, Nokia's Lumia phones used to be made completely from polycarbonate plastic and those phones were durable as fuck, and looked pretty nice too.

depends in the phone and what you want obviously, not everyone is the fucking same
the frame is aluminum, the body is plastic

>budget
$550
>country
united arab emirates
>size
at least 6 inches
>features
fingerprint scanner, decent camera, sd storage slot, processor good enough for games, minimum bezels, and face unlock tho thats expendable if the phone has all the features i mentioned

what LTE bands does the UAE use?

No, keep your trash.

>the frame is aluminium
In GSMarenas review they say:
>The frame is made out of plastic too - one with a nice matte finish, which is a nice grip booster. The good news is the whole frame is thick and sturdy, and we even mistook it for metal at first glance.

But then in Android Authority's review:
>All models come with a thin aluminum frame

Guess we'll have to wait for JerryRigEverything's durability test to know for sure

I'm also surprised how carriers around the world obviously less powerful than the ones in the US (AT&T for crying out loud) have managed to establish infrastructures which are compatible for virtually every smartphone in existence.

the carrier im on uses b3(1800+) and b20(800DD)

Compatible with*

GSM arena can't tell the difference between a body and a frame, take android authority's word on it over GSMArena
no, other way around, smartphone manufacturers have made their dvices compatible eith other carriers instead of US ones because for them to work on US carriers, they need to pay for certification, OEMs hate having to pay three times for licensing fees to sell in the US compared to other markets
Honor 10? or wait for Pocophone F1

that phone looks horrible

It is worth paying a little more to get Mi A2 instead of the A2 lite? I'm short on money...

Only in you play gaymes on your phones

How can one phone be so based?

youtube.com/watch?v=_9QmKB1JOo8

The camera is literally HIDDEN

Honor Note 10 or Mi Max 3 if you want a BIG phone

I would buy this if it worked in the US. I rarely use the front camera anyways

MI max 3

Not really. And I don't care about camera too.
I was just considering based on the CPU and Gorilla Glass 5.

Meant for

they wont because of certification fees, also three letter agencies would prefer you didn't know when they watched you through the front cam

The cpu only matters if you play gaymes, 636 is good enough for every day use

>other way around, smartphone manufacturers have made their dvices compatible eith other carriers instead of US ones because for them to work on US carriers, they need to pay for certification, OEMs hate having to pay three times for licensing fees to sell in the US compared to other markets
Thank you for clarifying.
This statement makes perfect sense now.

Really concerned about privacy and data security. Looking for advice on replacing my iPhone 5.

USA
Verizon
no Apple or Google controlled operating system
no Chinese phones or software

Redmi Note 5 is the phone you should get

A dumbphone

feature phone then, the only alternative smart OS, Jolla Sailfish, only works on the Xperia X and they don't work on VZW

Why?

Get one of these bad boys.

Attached: asdffg432.jpg (500x333, 12K)