CLEANING UP THE OCEAN

Let's say I'm a multimillionaire, and that I want to clean up the micro-plastic debris in the ocean.

What technology do I need? Where do I even start? What can I read about this? Who can I ask for help? How do I do this?

I want to make this my life's goal.

Attached: 1534818631836.jpg (1950x1300, 784K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theoceancleanup.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Genetically engineer algae that feed on micro-plastic.

get a helicopter and a scoop and dump it back on the chinese and indians responsible who throw all their garbage in the river

Good idea

DON'T DO THIS. THERE ARE UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES EVERY FUCKING TIME.

Just look at Australia.

OK I take it back - what next? Robots?

There's already ocean bacteria that can break down the most common polymers, but they can't keep up with our waste at all, especially since breaking down polymers is hard and complicated.

The real answer is to invade every country which uses the ocean as a dumping ground and fix shit before it gets in the ocean.

bomb asia

they'll keep dumping plastic faster than you are able to remove it. your best bet is to invent a generator that uses plastic as fuel so they'll stop throwing it into the ocean because free energy

>hire people
>hire shitton of trucks
>pay 5 bucks for each time someone gives you plastic
>take it and recycle it
positive reinforcement

Wax worms commonly found in beehives have an enzyme that biologically breaks down plastic. If you could grow/recreate those specific bacteria on a larger scale and find an efficient environmentally safe way to apply it you're set.

Attached: waxworms.jpg (1200x1200, 249K)

Who cares? The problem isn't plastic itself but that people can't dispose of it properly.

A lot of very fine wide but short (~10-20 feet) nets and some boats.

>can't dispose of it properly
That's what OP is trying to solve.

You need a solution that covers the entire fucking planet and can get rid off plastics faster than it's added. It's just not possible unless you implement death penalty for littering.

>be multimillionaire
>spend entire fortune to combat plastic in ocean
>plastic falls from .000003% to .0000002%
>now broke, living with high SF rent, avoid shit in streets, no more money
Mission Accomplished.
>

We're already moving towards bio packaging.

Chinese supermarkets actually stopped giving out plastic bags.

Not until it's cheaper than using plastics

change your life goal

Doesn't matter considering bathing suits and sun tan lotion pollute like a beast

This is going to backfire spectacularly once it enters fresh water and makes it's way into the heart of society.

theoceancleanup.com

If you're a billionaire you could just get a fleet of skimmers designed to skim the plastic.

Start by preventing the release of even more micro-plastics/ plastics. then when the hemorrhage is stopped you cleanup.

You have no ides how many people think it's ok to just release garbage in the ocean.

Pay for waste plastic so the cheap bastards decide to sell you the plastic instead of dumping it.

Nuke Africa

>they realize they can make money by generating more plastic
>pollute to hell

>the continent that doesn't have access to modern amenities
>shitting up the place
nah, it's spoiled 1st world brats that don't give a fuck and just consume and consume
do you really think africans use plastic wrappings on even half the things the developed world does?

Sorry Jamal, look up the statistics.

Attached: 2018-04-06_1145.png (601x704, 70K)

All I'm seeing is that a nuke on SEA would be far more effective. If you want to nuke africa, be my guest, but don't use retarded excuses

Here's a tip: don't fight the symptoms, fight the disease.

Reduce human population to 100 million globally, and they can live the most polluting eco-stressing lifestyle they want.

poltards would go on and on about white genocide

Is nigeria and south africa not in africa?

They are. Now add the marine debris from African countries and SEA countries and tell me if Africa contributes as much to the problem. If you had a nuke and used to nuke the africans instead of the asians, you'd be wasting resources. Maybe it's you we should nuke

Enzymes and bacterias aren't the same thing, retard.

Your chart says that, out of the top 20 plastic dumpers, Africa is responsible for about 6% of the problem.

yea bury it on land instead, that totally makes a difference

better to have all your waste concentrated in one place that doesn't move rather than thinly spread all over the ocean
hell, in a few more years garbage dumps and landfills can be used to extract rare metals that people throw away with their electronics
going balls to the wall to have people to separate their garbage would make recycling way cheaper

Juste make sure this algae has enough predators to prevent overgrowth.

Just genetically engineer those predators user, I can't think of *everything*

Destroy India, the planet will thank you

you realize this is mostly because of all the plastic produced there. and all the plastic used to ship items to/from China. even every single pallet of products is wrapped in plastic.

>sun tan lotion
what kind of cancer inducing goop are you using? good sun screen is literally just zinc oxide, thats it maybe with some scent or liquid carrier to make it easier to apply

denver already hires homeless people to dig through dumps for certain things
ovens are a great source of many metals