Dwm vs. i3 vs awesomeWM: Tiling WM discussions

So I've been using dwm for a while on my laptop, but now I want to get something good on my desktop too.

Any of you anons have experience with more than one of the above, and can give me your personal opinion?
Any tips and recommendations for a good setup, e.g. companion software that works well or good configs?
Other suggestions/WMs welcome.

Attached: 1530325838351.jpg (540x508, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They are all amazing. I use sway now. Wonder if the suckless folks are excited for Wayland.

Wayland is gay.
If you've used them all could you outline the practical differences between awesome and i3? dwm has rather particular tiling but everything else looks very similar at first glance.

I remember all the old dwm clones/forks that popped up early 2010s

awesome uses lua for configuration
i3 has a sane default configuration

And in terms of functionality, is either noticeably more flexible or more bloated?
What would you recommend as taskbar?

>bloated
Some of you are going too far with this, this word now reminds me of the ultralight fags cutting down their toothbrush.

Imagine a WM that has a built in mail client

That's bloat

exwm has 2

Serious question here:
On a powerful desktop with multiple screens, is there any reason why I'd want to use a tiling wm instead of de that can do both floating and tiling? I move my windows mostly with keyboard shortcuts, but I like the ability to use mouse as well. I have titlebars disabled regardless as they're just a waste of space. I pretty much never use the tiling mode, floating with shortcuts to size and position window to every half/quater of a screen seems good enough for me.
Enlighten me if I'm missing something important.

>Enlighten me if I'm missing something important.
Yes, actually. You're missing the fact that everyone has their own subjectively preferred workflow. The actual amount of time spent switching windows is almost never a factor in productivity, it all really depends on your mental model and what lets you _think_ faster, so if you have a workflow that works and don't want to use tiling then tiling will only slow you down.

Well, i3 can do floating too. Just press [your preferred shortcut] on a selected window to toggle floating, and move/resize like you want.
It depends on your preferences. I have 2-3 programs which I open as floating windows by default, everything else is tiled.

>is there any reason why I'd want to use a tiling wm instead of de that can do both floating and tiling
Every tiling WM that I'm aware of also supports floating. You pretty much have to for certain applications like GIMP. awesome and xmonad can serve WM duty in any X DE.

Stumpwm is better

>functionality
i3 is much better because when you create a container you can move it wherever you want. awesomewm has some "blueprints" of how the containers will be layed out and creates your container accordingly. You can not move your container wherever you want, only switch between the blueprints/templates
>flexibility
propably awesome wm is better here because you can use it as an 100% floating wm without using the keyboard at all, if that's what you want
>taskbar
I'm using i3 blocks with i3 and it's fine. awesomewm's bar tho is superb because, since everything is configured in Lua you can do a lot more
>configuration
Lua is easy to learn so you won't have much trouble doing basic stuff like changing colors in awesomewm. The documentation, however, on doing intermediate stuff like your own bar widgets absolutely sucks and it was the thing that pushed me away from awesomewm

dwm /thread

awesomewm is extremely flexible in configuration (there's a whole lot of shit you can do with lua), not so much with window layout, although you can define custom layouts.

i3 is far easier to configure.

What about xmonad? I wanted to switch to a tiling WM since I got a new machine. I like Haskell so my first attempt is xmonad (if not counting Emacs). I've read brief comparisons with other tiling WMs but I don't see significant differences, it appears it's mostly about config.

> it appears it's mostly about config
Basically. Most people just pick the one that uses the programming language they like the most, and web dev / ricetards have their containment WM.

Does anybody know any decent way of having tiling on windows beside the basic 4 quadrants?
I really want more than that when I'm forced to use it for work.

>seriously suggesting shit that depends on The Rootkit Formerly Know as X.org
I use sway. Its a Wayland-based i3 replacement.

Running a proper OS in VM.

Is there any wm that tiles the same way as dwm for Wayland?

xmonad / awesome can do retarded shit with tiling layouts. Or openbox with tiling scripts if you have a lot of random windows coming up that you need to position manually.

no, I meant on Windows

Why there isn't any tiling wm made on pure framebuffer?

Anything I should keep in mind if I want to switch from i3 to wayland/sway? Any advice?

kys

Because wm is something that works on top of the windows server by definition. You probably need something like tmux.

Bspwm is better than all of the above.

Also a wayland version is being worked on.

> Bspwm is better than all of the above.
Sure, but why

If I'm comfy in i3 is there any reason to check out dwm?
I get dwm is only 1000 lines of code and I like the idea of something removed of bloat, but i3 just werks.

How bloat is your WM?

Attached: WMramusage.png (290x319, 22K)

Wayland is fucking trash

no

>ctrl f
>herbstluft
>Phrase not found

Disappointing Jow Forums.

bspwm

what is the source for OP pic

You so rarely hear about herbslut, and with it being one of the lightest tilers here , i'm curious
Is it actually good? How does it compare to something like i3 or bspwm?

kek

you mean emacs supported tiling managers?

A hentai quotes thread on /d/

very bloat

Attached: a.png (1366x768, 303K)

no I mean the actual hentai itself

this

Sauce

>wanting your windows to randomly resize and reflow text
literally why

I'm also wondering about this, I want to try dwm but I don't know if I'm too much of a brainlet to use it.

>dwm
notraylmao

I use dwm and love it, much prefer it over i3.

kinda wanna try out awesomewm. I wish I had this in dwm only when I'm in monocle mode. there's the fancybar patch but it doesn't render the clients the same and will randomly resize if titlebar text changes.

Attached: screen.png (1920x1080, 491K)

why do you like dwm over i3? I'm thinking of switching because muh minimalism autism but I'm not sure yet.

it handles tiling differently from i3. you have one master window that by default only has one client, then a slave window where it will just stack clients on top of each other, and you can easily change which client you want in the master window with mod+enter. you can also render one client on multiple tags (workspaces), it's kinda like sticky windows in i3 but only in tags you want it to be in. it's just overall more simple. also the default bar I think is better looking than i3's.

bimp

i3 is pretty nice
DWM would be great if it let you choose between the normal configuration setup of editing the source then recompiling or the ability to just use a configuration file.
that being said they both have pretty sane defaults and it's feasible to use either without ricing anything at all.

Attached: 2018-08-24-1535086527_1280x800.png (1280x800, 1.17M)

DWM dosen't have enough things to change for recompiling to really be too much of an issue once you have it setup how you like... especially if you leave it unpatched

It's just a little annoying to have to maintain the package outside of your package manager.
Then again, I compile i3--gaps from source on debian so I'm just a shitter that's too lazy to learn how to configure dwm kek

Attached: actualeffort.png (1280x2400, 3.05M)

Dosen't debian literally have scripts to make packages from compiled source, so you can manage it, remove it cleanly, etc...

I use arch, it's been a while since I've used debian... but that should be a thing no? Though downloading from the aur let's me be comfortably lazy with the whole thing.

yeah you can fetch the source from the repos and build it yourself, but if you're going to be compiling it anyway, why not pull from git?

Attached: 2018-08-24-1535164609_1280x800.png (1280x800, 723K)

But I mean you can easily make a package from git using debuild, the point is you'll have an actual package that apt can manage

yeah
again, my main reason for not sticking with dwm is that it's pretty involved to configure compared to i3

I use XMonad because of its customization and because it was the only twm that handled multihead correctly when i was switching to twm.

>It's just a little annoying to have to maintain the package outside of your package manager.
Gentoo doesn't have this problem :^)

Are you actually using that? I actually want to go the other way. I think Emacs has poor tiling options (when I open something it never appears where I want it to) and wish it didn't duplicate WM's job. However I think that ELisp interoperability and customization is pretty cool and don't want to switch editor to anything else already existing. Therefore I'll try to switch to single window Emacs client frames managed by my WM.

Oh but there is.
brain-dump.org/projects/dvtm/

That's for terminal only. What about framebuffer graphics?

Well obviously you are restricted to using other programs that work in frame buffer.

what volume control is that?

No, kys doesn't really work like I want. Kys choices are way too limited.

Now that wmaker has tiling support with keybinds there's really no reason to use anything else