As of 2018 100% of the world’s 500 fastest supercomputers run Linux

>As of 2018 100% of the world’s 500 fastest supercomputers run Linux

why can't microsoft make a windows to run on a supercomputer? it's not like they don't have hundreds of billions of dollars at their disposal, even if they wanted to make it from scratch or maybe even make something better?

Attached: summit-supercomputer-red-hat-linux.jpg (1600x900, 239K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_HPC_Server_2008
old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9ag0jc/i_thought_there_was_something_familiar_about_the/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Supercomputers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because you don't need a supercomputer to run Windows.

Shitty scheduler can't manage more than 32 threads.

lincucks BTFO

Because you don't need 4096 cores to make a file browser have thumbnails in Windows.

Realistically is because money. It will be astronomically expensive to licensed each CPU you're going to use.

windows is not meant for research as much as it is for ENTERPRISE and GAMING

No, but you need that 1 TB of RAM to open more than 10 tabs in Chrome

there's not much benefit for them to do so. They're making billions selling windows already.

>research
>not enterprise
Nigger, what are you doing? We live in a (((capitalist))) society. Research done by any corporation is for enterprise purposes.

Attached: 1534179068898.jpg (640x559, 23K)

I remember when the world's fastest supercomputer ran fucking Mac OS X.

Attached: Virginia_tech_xserve_cluster.jpg (2448x3264, 2.9M)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_HPC_Server_2008

Just HPC windows fail ...

this

Microsft, if you are reading this: go commit suicide you garbage trash

are you kidding? they cant even handle 4 let alone 32

They had something better, but they trashed it for NT in enterprise and 9x in consumer.
Then to keep up they released NT as a consumer product as well.
When they could have just stuck with and released products from Xenix from the beginning and we would all be using UNIX spin-offs
I would guess the only reason those supercomputers are using the Linux kernel is because they can fork it and heavily customize it, but getting
a NDA and source code access to the NT source might be a tiny bit harder than doing a git clone.

old.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/9ag0jc/i_thought_there_was_something_familiar_about_the/

This is literally on the frontpage of the Windows 10 subreddit

this is a post from a tranny Software Engineer at Windwos 10

this is why supercomputers will never use Windows

Windows is a kernel.

Attached: 1508739302925.jpg (800x850, 181K)

ah that sweet student debt money

I think they all make their own custom OS.
Starting with Linux is obviously easier.

Cant believe it took until this many posts down to get the correct answer.

I thought it would be common knowledge that super computers arne't just running your basic end user distros of Linux.

Because Microsoft exists to make money. Selling 500 copies of an OS that cost you (potentially) billions of dollars is a stupid decision when you can sell millions of copies of an OS that cost you less to develop.
Any question about x corporation boils down to minimizing cost and or maximizing profit

>The #1 supercomputer is IBM POWER based running ppc64le linux
mine eyes have seen the coming of the glory of the lord

Who is the market?

t. not understanding what supercomputers are used for

install gentoo on supercomputer

Microsoft's process, thread and scheduler implementation sucks dick.

that supercomputer looks too gamer-y

Why should they invest money and time into a market that likely will not repay that investment and also the OS running on super computers are highly modified Linux flavors which isn't exactly MSofts MO. There is no reason for MSoft to put in the effort besides vanity and they don't care for that.

If you understood how they work you'd know why they don't run windows

Disgusting hand. Imagine pretending to be a woman, forcing everyone around you to follow along and treat you like a woman, without even doing basic woman shit like taking care of your fucking hands lmao. Probably has facial stubble too.

basically this, each os has its own use
linux is for uber secret and actual software work, windows is for the everyday man do browse and enjoy the internet at his leisure, and mac is for stupid fucking imbeciles who want to waste a shitload of money for the latest and greatest crapple computer that belongs in the trash along with the faggots who buy them

this

Attached: 8bit checkem.gif (404x416, 179K)

Windows useds are bigger faggots than Mac OS useds.

>Windows 10 is a place

>linux runs on these 500 computers
>windows runs on BILLIONS of computers.
Why do freetards think this is a good argument?

Attached: 1521382426193.gif (349x199, 487K)

If I had a paid, professional team of programmers and techs around me 24/7, I'd probably give Linux a try.

As it is, I have my bf's VBScripts and an Internet full of "your fault (core dumped)" when Linux is mentioned.

Windows it is.

in what way? almost unironically every person i see with an apple computer is in aome way shape or form an sjw faggot or a literal homosexual, windows is so much more streamlined and organized, you dont have to click through some random fucking shit to try to find something which you could have made a generalizes search and then narrowed it down, apple computers are the mega corps tech of a dystopian future, limited in essentially every aspect which would grant you some degree of freedom, not to mention the massive amount of incompatibilities with countless file types, at the very least with windows you could download a file reader, as for apple it just wont work because muh architecture
blow it out your ass macfag

til my gf isn't a conservative and has gone full lesbo behind my back

Far more likely user is talking out his ass because he hates Macs for whatever meme reason.

Attached: 135.png (680x680, 124K)

>why can't microsoft make a windows to run on a supercomputer?
Supercomputers run projects that can't afford to stop what they're doing while they download automatic updates every other day.

so Jow Forums?

Enjoy your lack of Unix compatibility, Wangtard.

Linux is the most used OS in the world.

I often deal with general tech-support and all of our clients run Wangblows. If I had to deal with OSX on a daily basis I off myself.
All the settings you would otherwise regularly deal with on Windows are hidden behind some invisible wall on Mac, which is fucking stupid.

Nice

Attached: 1520876439206.jpg (480x360, 26K)

I don't have time to wait 3 seconds for Firefox to compile though

>someone use linux when he wants to get the job done
>someone use windows to play games

simple
(up untill steamOS 3.0 comes out in a few weeks)

the NT legacy overhead involved with desktop use code is huge, they would have to write the entire OS from scratch to match linux on the supercomputers

thats not really the problem of windows
their fucked up SC they introduced along with the windows 15.06ver is what is causing shit

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=1
its beyond shit and im suprised by this cause i thought that it was actually on par with linux at least SC speaking

fuken shit

they dont need to, they have a monopoly over the computing market

>100%
Citation needed has alot of supercomputers also run custom OS's that are not linux based.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Supercomputers

>>windows runs on BILLIONS of computers.
So does Linux...

the gentoo userbase isnt any better kek
GENTOO FAGS BTFO

Attached: 1535135822545.jpg (1156x1457, 495K)

this