/freeshell/ Free / Public Access Unix & Linux General

Discuss things like ppp, ftp, ssh, gopher, usenet, WANs, telnet, public access internet, non-ISP dialup, and the noncommercial internet in general. Public access Plan 9 & Inferno also encouraged.

>SDF is the largest NetBSD installation in the world, with servers in Seattle, Texas, the Faroe Islands, Denmark, etc. A NetBSD devsite as well as a community, SDF offers lifetime server space to members, cheap dial-up service ($84/year) allowing a private, secure, non-ISP internet connection anywhere you can find a phone with an ethernet jack, limited access to Bell Labs' Plan 9 system, and much more. The largest public access UNIX system / noncommercial internet community on the planet, supporting complete anonymity/
sdf.org
>Grex is an OpenBSD server in Ann Arbor, MI. Less cool than SDF, Grex requires voting members to send in a picture of their ID, which is fucking dumb. They only have one server in one country which is also dumb, and do stuff like go on arboretum walks together. Probably better for users who want identity politics to matter in their free internet.
grex.org
>Hashbang is a newer server that lectures you about curl safety as a part of its cryptic signup process. The pleb filter would be more effective if instead of warning that it could have just rm -rf /'d you to hell, it just did it. A promising, up-and-coming unix server that at least tries to keep the babbies away. Compare to the commode in SDF where people are constantly posting shit like youtube links.
>list of free unix and linux shell accounts
aruljohn.com/freeshell/
>cern's list of telnet sites
info.cern.ch/hypertext/DataSources/Yanoff.html

Attached: mechterm.jpg (1007x794, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

info.cern.ch/hypertext/DataSources/Yanoff.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i'm tempted to get a SDF membership some day

don't see the point of the dialup service though considering you can get wi-fi practically anywhere in NA (unless you live in sub-arctic canada)

ISDN is usually faster than a coffee shop or library, but with a new IP address every time you connect. The real value is in the anonymity; it's almost impossible to prove which computer did what over a dialup connection. The big point of the dialup is that SDF isn't an ISP - it isn't a for profit corporation that passes your information along to a government.

Think about it this way - your deepest, darkest fetish secrets are known by the government, and could be used against you at any time. You freely handed this information over by connecting your name to your internet traffic. Because of this, you can never hold a position of power in government. Because of that, you are a slave in the country you live in.

Also, having an account is just one ssh [email protected] away. Lasts for 666 days, which is plenty of time for a MetaARPA to verify you.

>freeshell
Shells are already free dummie

Attached: sophisticated.jpg (204x186, 6K)

OwO what's this
Forgive me for being brainlet but how why do some of these claim to "provide internet"? Can I literally just telnet into some free shell like this without actually being hooked up to a "normal" ISP?

You've got it the wrong way around. Deep, dark, fetish secretes is the prerequisite for a position in government.

>why do some of these claim to "provide internet"?
They provide dialup internet. It works exactly like the old school dialup. You connect your computer to an analog modem, connect that to a phone line and then dial the number they provide you. Your computer will connect and you can supply your username/password and now you're connected to the net over a phone line.

Kind of strange though, since many ISPs have stopped charging for dialup internet.

Ah right neat. Requires a phone line though.

>cheap dial-up service ($84/year) allowing a private, secure, non-ISP internet connection anywhere you can find a phone with an ethernet jack
>a phone with an ethernet jack
>a phone
>with an ethernet jack

I thought UNIX and BSD people were suppose to be intelligent? So much for that idea

>ISDN is usually faster than a coffee shop or library

So, 128 Kbps *maximum* is faster than several megabits per second *minimum*, right, right.

You're one of those fucking stupid people, aren't you?

bump

this is all gay and retarded. i'd rather just pay $5-10 for a server.
fucking kikes.

You'd be surprised how many phones you'll find out in the world that you can connect with, especially when you're concerned about privacy. Motel room phones, for example.
I don't care, I'm just transferring text files and strings anyway.

just use tor.

And do what with it, exactly? 5-10 bucks isn't going to buy you a big fucking mainframe cluster that's hosted in several different countries.

compromised by the fbi/nsa. Tor is a red herring.

I was wondering why free shell acounts suddenly mostly disappeared. Later I realized that was around the time bitcoin started to be a serious biz xD

prove it. provide sauce.

>info.cern.ch/hypertext/DataSources/Yanoff.html
>Last Update: 5/26/92
A lot of these fell off the net the last 25 years.

bump

I recommend nyx.net, allows outwardly anonymous accounts.