What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: 90.jpg (1920x1080, 44K)

CRTS were superceded by lcd, and then sony died.

Pretty much this the end of the CRT era marks the decline of SONY.

Attached: Trinitron logo.jpg (525x158, 16K)

Also let's not forget the rise of MP3 players.

Attached: $_86.jpg (1024x748, 78K)

Basically their executives became cancerous. The corporate culture just really went downhill during the peak of their relevance and so once their then current products were no longer relevant they had no replacements ready to ship, which lead to the demise of entire sectors of their company.

It happens to a lot of tech and non-tech companies that has no central vision or leading figure guiding everything they do.

If they were a bank they'd be propped up by the government like any good too-big-to-fail type entity but since they're just a tech company they'll probably go extinct if the Playstation ever stops selling.

And if it doesn't, well it's basically their most successful product at this point, so that's what they must center their corporate vision around and focus their efforts on working on the next product to supplant it.

Also apparently in Japan they're pretty big as an insurance company and they even have a subsidiary that's basically an investment firm and both of those sectors have also been quite lucrative for them lately, enough to prop most of the failing parts of the company, like their film sector.

Philips consumer electronics also pretty much died with the CRT they were the largest producers of CRTs in the world If I remember right.

Everything

I tried to hate sony but they make too many cool things , VR , console , robot dog , movies , walkman , mini disc just to name a few.

I prefer sony over disney

Still not as bad as this

Attached: 1280px-Logo_of_the_Sharp_Corporation.svg.png (1280x183, 21K)

Sony has always had great product designers and engineers. Pity their management has its head buried far, far up inside its own asshole.

Attached: 1535323419401.png (1280x183, 191K)

Why the fuck did they sell off their Semi Conductor Division?

Attached: download.png (423x119, 3K)

>SHARP X6800, NEC PC 88,98 and Fujitsu FM Towns etc no release for gaijin
I don't get it the SONY/Philips and Sanyo MSX 1,2 were doing great here in the Netherlands they didn't even try.

basically a god tier consumer electronics company merged with music company and movie company and their lawyers fucked everything up from the inside and made them sabotage and limit the capabilities of their products to protect their IP

Alot of you here have no idea how fucking god tier SONY was in the 80's and 90's. I owned Portable DAT player as my main music playback device. No one even came close to the level they were on.

Attached: sony-tcd-d7-dat-xl.jpg (600x458, 66K)

DAT was fucked in the ass by RIAA.

Nooo bross noooo

Attached: Pioneer_logo_80s.png (2000x291, 28K)

Who 80s-90s weeb phase in here?

Attached: JapanimAction-Pioneer-Tenchi-Muyo-Ryo-Ohki-VHS-Laserdisc-Anime-Ad.jpg (900x1189, 350K)

They may not be what they were but their phones are top tier, their cameras and their sensors are a universal standard from the understanding I've been given, and their TVs, while expensive, are excellent. And let's not forget the Playstation hardware and catalogue.

This is how NTSC TV's look through Composite.

>They may not be what they were but their phones are top tier,

This is objectively wrong. The xperias and compacts forms are out and they arent comming back

Also meditate on how propriety sony phones were and how they basicly invented DONGLES

Attached: dongled !.jpg (600x600, 25K)

1990s Japanese housing crisis then followed by the great recession

A shitty corporate culture and lack of vision were certainly what I felt when they were a client I was working for in advertising. For example, they had a good line of phones (Xperia) with great battery life and aesthetics but apparently they thought its waterproofness was its main differentiating point. And they were still promoting digital cameras in 2012.

>promoting digital cameras in 2012
Digital Cameras are still doing fine in Japan hell even CDs and Video Rentals are doing alright, it's just Japs don't know jack shit about anything outside Japan.

Their walkman line is still good. Others are pretty meh.

>tfw Sony head said they plan to kill off their hardware divisions in the long term because profits margins are too low and they can't compete with Kim and Chang
>no more japanese electronics
>tfw we will only have chink and gook to choose from some day

Gooks are going to get knocked out once Chang starts to get proper competition from Nguyen in Vietnam etc

They also managed in just 10 years to become a top player in the DSLR market. Most of that sector was already dominated by Japanese companies though.

It would be interesting to see Vietnam get to that point

Pretty much this.

Doesn't help that they forgot how to price their products. The name isn't worth a premium anymore. A good deal of their stuff comes out of Korean factories anyway.

They keep releasing novelty and beta grade hardware with cantankerous firmware. Their attempts to break back into the hifi market have been muddled at best.

The Playstation division looks really unambitious after Ken Kutaragi was fired. Sure they have the lead, but they can't keep treading water with MS, Apple, and Nintendo continually trying to chip away at their market share.

>MSX
>Europe
I'm surprised to even hear about that. MSX was designed and released as Asia-only when it originally came out. I thought that area was dominated by Amiga, Amstrad, and few RISC based platforms at the time.

Attached: 1396047934623.gif (543x600, 20K)

Philips licensed the MSX and shat them out by the millions but in the end this is the Netherlands HQ of Philips the freaking CDi was a common sight here.

Attached: Vg8235f.jpg (1931x904, 76K)

I was growing up in the US at the time where we had Commodores and a few literally whos until WinTel muscled everyone out of the desktop.
>CDi
>common
I believe it. It was one of those things you had to be there at the time to understand and I was around when they were fielding the 3DO in the US. From a gearhead's perspective, it made a lot of sense to make a hifi gaming platform when all the popular stuff was usual garage hacker grade garbage. It is just that nobody in their right mind would drop $600USD in 1990's money for a vidya gaems player.

Attached: 1267662368861.jpg (447x377, 59K)

this a lot of great brands went to shit after the death of crt/proper stereo setups. Sansui, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Pioneer.

this, its why ive been collecting and using as much of its equipment as possible.

That really hurts

>$600USD
Some mad men did though

Attached: 5356742455_1bc12d58fa_b.jpg (586x800, 174K)

>Has a multimillion dollar gaming company
>Has a smartphone industry in need of a boost, like a multimillion dollar brand or a hook
>Mobile games have been successful for years, Currently lacking a portable system, Currently lacking a cellphone that could take dwindling marketshare back

>Still hasn't figured out a way to make a Playstation Phone that doesn't suck

Holy shit, this is Sears level incompetency

The NeoGeo was another story. It was never meant to be a direct to consumer product originally. It was priced and marketed towards commercial renting at first for things like events and catered parties. I'll give NeoGeo credit for actually making top end arcade hardware available for consumers though.

This is the same company that doesn't preinstall their PS4's with their own fucking streaming service and somehow manages to make flops out of their videogame movies every single time

CAPCOM had something similiar to the NEO GEO planned with their CPSII system but it got canned. Shame it never happened would have been cool playing Alien Vs Predator at some rich kids place.

They probably couldn't get the copy protections to a point where management would be happy. People love to cry over the DRM today but hardware people were batshit to stop arcade piracy. The protections in CPSIII would make the people at Denuvo blush; if that thing lost power without the battery backup going, you would need someone from the factory to come down and boot the thing.

I wish the XA2 Plus would go on sale in the West.
Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I still buy their TVs and audio equipment.

My problem with them is their software, imo they make the best LCD tv you can buy.

The only problem they have is their software/firmware quality. They can be very lacking.

Lucky for everyone CPSIII was a flop though not Hyper Neo Geo 64 level of disaster but either way very underwhelming.
Speaking of CPSIII I remember reading when CAPCOM Arcade EU&US branches shut down you would have ship the cartridge to CAPCOM Asia but instead of getting the proper region back the cart would be flashed to Asia Region.

...the wonders of alcohol for for the garbage post.

JUST

Attached: JVC_Logo.svg.png (1200x464, 18K)

Specialty hardware in general was dying in the late 90's with the arcades. PC gaming was making strides, OpenGL, DirectX, and other standards were empowering devs to bringing games to more people and more systems. Today, it feels like we are going backwards with the standards groups unable to get their act together and Apple and Google chocking everything with walled gardens and most favored nation clauses.

>JVC
They were never a good company.

What was so bad with Victor? Outside of VHS they were also giants in camcorders and optical lenses.

Look at this mad early 90s aesthetic

Attached: Victor-WonderMega-RG-M2-Console-Set.jpg (4272x2160, 2.16M)

Shouldn't have said good, but great instead. Didn't actually know much about their professional division, but mostly know them for their very mid-range VHS and TV products. They at least priced it right.

c64 and 8bit atari was popular in europe too

The C64 was an amazing computer back then. It was something else reading about how comically dysfunctional the company management was.

DRM

I think it was typically of computer companies back then. Amiga was founded by ex-atari staff who were upset that management wouldn't let them create a 32-bit console/computer that used the m68k.

The xz2 compact would literally be the best android phone on the market if they weren't completely retarded and just added a headphone jack and premium backing. FUCK SONY

Hardware is a low-margin business with very tight production cycles. Basically users expect you to come up with something groundbreaking every year and get it perfectly right the first time. And now they have to compete with chinkshit that manage to replicate fast every major new hardware feat.

Sony makes most of its money from Hollywood movie licenses, from its gigantic music catalogue and its insurance business.

It makes no sense for them to stay in a low-margin, high-cost, labour-intensive business like hardware. It's like working hard for pennies.

Good company back in the day but like user said
The Playstation overshadowed most of their products even the VAIO laptops (wich they were good).
They focused to much on the Playstation and its literally the only product thats saving them from going bankrupt.

What about their DSLRs and professional video cameras? Also their cell phone image sensors?

I have two of their turntables, one from the 70s, and the other from the 80s. Both super solid

This. To peddle a premium smartphone, you virtually need Sony's camera sensors.

PAL actually doesn't look like that? I've never used PAL hardware on PAL TVs because now it doesn't matter and a few decades ago all I knew was NTSC because of the fact that I live in North America.

Phone games are legit awful and would damage the brand for the most part, though.

Sony HAS been making cell phone games, most Japanese companies have since the new century. There was even a God of War cell phone game. Why do you think nobody has heard of it?

You're trying to take one of the parts of the company that is working just fine and you're going to hurt it.

PAL would look bad if you didn't use SCART, but everything was compatible with SCART so that was a nonissue.

On /vr/ some people will bitch that SCART ruins the graphics in some games because coders would intentionally use the defects in composite to make their graphical effects look good. The waterfalls in the Sonic games on Genesis only look correct on composite.

They stopped innovating and went full software DRM.
I wish they still made Vaios, they took a modern approach to design and that logo, oh that logo..

Attached: FN8HCS7GVA8VEGE.LARGE.jpg (1024x768, 39K)

The early Sony players with triple A batteries were absolutely GOAT, never seen a more solid and intuitive design in an media player but when the iPod came out and outsold them 20-1 they quickly pushed out a redesign (thumb style) and the walkman went into obscurity.

If you want to see good hardware design look at all the Sony and Toshiba ultra portables from 2003 and before, in many respects its more advanced than modern hardware with their slow and boring touch interface, it was a time when analog controls were still in play and mechanical switches were blended perfectly into digital hardware, now everything is membrane style squishy chinese crap with zero feedback response. It's a shame that the CPU/Memory of that time was so underpowered because the good designs came and went without proper recognition.

As big of a fuckup SONY is, they're making good cameras and arguably good game consoles.

Although they shouldn't have tried beating Xbox One X to market and just kept with being the "more powerful" console.

strike the "n"

"What wet Wrong?"

Attached: 1535038507403.gif (245x246, 1.93M)

>People itt saying their tvs are bad
Are you guys pretending to be retarded they are top 3 quality televisions. Games/tv/insurance are the only divisions they have that are worth a fuck.
Everything else is cancer ESPECIALLY the movie division

Attached: westbrook.jpg (1920x1080, 105K)

I stopped buying their products when they removed Linux support from ps3, so that's when then went wrong.

sure their Tvs are good but with the chinks dumping a bunch of "good enough" models on the market and retards like Linus shilling them religiously the high end segment will be gone in a year or two max, good is the enemy of great

Been to Vietnam yet? They are about to reach that point in the very near future. Vietnam is where Western companies move their operations to after they have been cheated in China.

God of War java game was pretty sweet all things considered, but I believe it was only licensed, and not developed by sony

Attached: Capture.png (1859x924, 1.37M)

People are still butt-blasted about this? kek

NVIDIA forced them to drop linux support because sony was selling their hardware at cost and novidya can't have that, can't have people buying paying what things are worth when you can strongarm a rigged market behind the scenes

LCD's were such a mistake.
I want to fucking kill the display industry for shilling the fixed pixel meme.

No, that's how underage people think they do.
Even VHS through RF didn't look that blurry.

zipperheads took over

Did you know?
OLED TVs are a scam. They are LCDs, lit by a white OLED emitter behind every pixel. So instead of producing RGB colors, they produce white and then filter colors, just like LCDs.

I was pretty bummed about it.

They shifted their focus from making good hardware towards Sony Entertainment.

it's ridger racer
riiiiiiiiiiiidge racer
remember that one?

We will hopefully have American Electronics back thanks to Trump.

Jews.
Retarded codec to force consumers to buy their (((media))). All my friends bought a samsung lcd tv because you could read a divx on an usb stick directly plugged on it. It was cheaper and pirate friendly. Same with ATRAC codec instead of MP3 players. Jews at Sony music and Sony pictures, killed Sony.

>CAPCOM had something similiar to the NEO GEO planned with their CPSII system
They already did it with their CPS1 system

>Lucky for everyone CPSIII was a flop though
Thanks to Turd Strike

Playstation is a trash product now though.
It only used to be good when the Japanese game industry used to be good in the PS1/PS2 eras.

Nothing, you retarded mouthbreather.

>On /vr/ some people will bitch that SCART ruins the graphics in some games
It doesn't ruin shit. The effects(dithering and such) they used with composite were just some neat tricks they did because they could.

NES did use a lot of dithering though and actually produced NTSC Analog Video from the PPU so the fuckers who hack it for RGB are just wrong.

There are RGB OLED TV's out there(Samsung made a model in 2013 or so).
They're not LCD's though. They use RGB OLED's but they also use white OLED's to make up for the Blue OLED's inefficiency

The Blue OLED's have gotten stronger and soon RGB OLED TV's will be more widespread but MicroLED will overtake it ultimately because it's just much superior in every way.

Still both of them are fixed pixel memes.

Might be the case. But I'm still correct, however I suspect the memeword "QLED" plays an active role in this sort of scam I'm talking about. You know, most people buying TVs buy in retail stores and the salesmen there blatantly call them OLEDs. What I've posted is a real thing. I'm not into TVs, so I don't know which ones are affected.

I, personally, prefer OLED instead of MicroLED, despite every argument telling me not to.

Sony went from being all around the best in every category to becoming completely irrelevant.
PlayStation, Cameras, and their Insurance/healthcare are the only thing keeping them afloat.
Samsung took their place at being the jack of all trades.
Sony is still really big in developing countries that can't afford their expensive crap.

>I, personally, prefer OLED instead of MicroLED, despite every argument telling me not to.
Literally why?
OLED is inferior in every way.

MicroLED's are inorganic so they're better.
Far higher luminosity(prototypes reaching a million nits have been developed)
No problems with Blue LED efficiency
Far more scalable
Response times better
Same deep black levels
No Burn-in/Image Retention issues

It's basically OLED without any of the flaws.

Are they dead? I bought one of their newer boomboxes a few years ago.

>It's real

Attached: 1535315547904.png (700x518, 623K)

Because they are organic. I didn't post that in the initial reply because I'm sure this will upset some fedora tipping poster on here.

Nature > everything else.
Proven to be true since millions of years.

Their TVs are absolute shit and only last a couple of years.

> their phones are top tier
Even for something that might only last a year, they were nothing but mediocre. Let alone their unrecognizable Android they couldn't support.

>Because they are organic.

Attached: 147989727069.png (400x381, 108K)

They took too much and couldn't stomach it for too long with one of the reasons being shitty management described here . I still remember times when Sony did nearly everything and it was at least good, they had amazing headphones, TV's, good DVD players and etc. Rot always starts at the head, but 'smaller' companies just focused on fewer products and outcompeted Sony in the long run.

>Instead of just offering MP3 players, try to force Sony proprietary ATRAC format and much hated SonicStage software
>failed miserably as market ignored ATRAC

Dumb company is dumb

Internally I'd put it down to one major thing a total lack of integration and departmental coordination.
Each department acts as it's separate entity, often competing with themselves rather than working together, even worse, refusing to work with each other. And the divides between the JP/US/EU branches are even worse. Oddly enough the Playstation has forced them to work together and maybe get their act together a little.

One particularly damning thing for Sony was having shitty entry level products, i think perviously they sold entry level stuff under another brand (Aiwa i think?), but some bright spark discontinued that name and sold their low end stuff under the Sony brand, which, being shitty, tarnished the Sony brand quite significantly, when before, Sony was only attached to the higher end products.

On the other hand, in the 00s Samsung had a major program of "fuck Japan/Sony", they had practically unlimited resources thanks to the Korean government propping them up. They shotgunned products across the market, at all price points, and because they were in the western mindset a fairly new player, they didn't have quite the same expectations for quality as say, Sony. Sure, Samsung have the $2000 halo products, but most people buy the $300 TVs.

And don't forget that Samsung spent more on advertising between 2005-2015 than any other company in the world. Really innovative really, it wasn't just TV ads, or billboards, they invested heavily in retailers with "Samsung Experience" stands with "Samsung expert" staff, they had those concessions inside stores far before those little dedicated Apple booths started popping up.

Speaking of brands what the hell happened to Panasonic's SANYO brand?
They did resurrect Technics for their audio division again though