Hey Jow Forums

Hey Jow Forums.
Just wanted to see what your opinion was on OLED 4k TVs. Are they a viable option right now?
Comparing the prices to QLED most models almost double in price.

Attached: oled_vs_qled.jpg (790x430, 28K)

What the fuck are QLED screen? some quantum led bullshit?

The main difference between selecting an OLED vs a QLED/Quantum Dot is the viewing area. Though OLED has near perfect viewing angles, it suffers in bright environments making them strictly home theater room TVs whereas a LED is better in the living room. The OLED has perfect black levels and the LED will be much brighter for better HDR performance. All OLEDs are guaranteed to have image retention and burn in is a normal occurrence. Price is equivalent since you can get a 55" LG B8 OLED or a 65" Vizio PQ65 LED for $1500.

Ive heard about the image retention problem. The TVs mostly going to be used for gaming, would things like HUDs for games be a problem for image retention? I have that problem with my current TV.
For the price, I'm a leaf so unless its black friday these things are mighty expensive.

Why would you want one for gaming? Almost all OLEDs and qleds are Gonna have very high response times.

Then expect burn-in just like plasma tvs. A static HUD would most definitely burn-in.

An LCD with blue backlight + fancy flouroescent dyes to make red/green instead of white backlight and subtractive filters. Was originally supposed to be individual LEDs using the fancy materials to be like OLED but better, but marketing fucked it up.

I can never get over how weird non-IPS LCD panels look to me. I think I would notice it even with these fancy QLEDs. Even at a proper viewing angle they seem to have really jarring uneven brightness levels that are never perfect even when you're looking at it from straight ahead. I think I'm just too used to the perfect accuracy of IPS. So OLED would probably be better for me right? Since there are no IPS QLED panels and OLED has the accuracy of IPS with better black levels.

You'r eyes don't see in 4K, there's no reason for that.

The biggest impact on viewing is contrast and motion. Everything else is gimmicks. You want blacks to be black and whites to be white. Only OLED can do that currently without cheating using local dimming LED's (which cause halos). Then you have motion. 24 FPS judder is real in movies. The problem is that using frame interpolation (which tries to guess the intermediate frames to make it 60 FPS) causes artefacting errors and the soap opera affect. Newer TV's are using black frame insertion techniques etc that cause the display to flicker. This halps with the illusion of smoothness at the cost of eye strain. It depends how agressively it is used and how susceptible you are to it. I heard Sonys motion algorithm is the most superior and is hardly noticeable yet creates smooth motion without artefacts. LG has something similar but not quite as good from what I have read/seen (Go to HDTVTest for their reviews). Anyhow. QLED is just another gimmick. If you are a hardcore gamer, sports fan or watch CNN 24/7 you might want to consider LCD. For everyone else watching more varied content and who wants the BEST picture it's OLED everytime.

OLEDs are disposable shit. They can have pretty blacks but the fact that they last 5 years tops without burn-in an yellowing is a no no for me.
QLED does not have this problem.

Who the fuck drops over $2000 on a TV?

Attached: boards.4chan.org 1453515087013.png (493x276, 33K)

Had my LG OLED55B6V since Sept 2016. It's still pretty much perfect. No yellowing. No burn in. No anything. It still looks as good as when I first turned it on and my calibrations with a colorometer have shown this to be the case.

2000 on a basic HDTV was normal not terribly long ago

sell it. This is not a "if it happens" thing. it WILL happen. Sooner or later.

I look at it this way, both QLED and OLED will seem outdated in 5 years when MicroLED becomes the new standard. So really I just want a nice disposable 4k HDR TV to hold me over until then. Why not go with OLED in that case?

You might even be able to get extended protection on it and send it back for a new one when the inevitable burn-in happens and then sell the replacement unit to get a MicroLED instead.

In fact the only issue I have ever had is sometimes you see bars on football field pans but I hear they have fixed that in the latest TV's. Also newer TV's include black frame insertion, better uniformity and better algorithms to prevent burn in as well as better color and HDR nits. If they had Freesync I would be selling my old model for the latest model. Maybe nexy year...

Maybe if you run it at max brightness. Calibration is a must on this level of TV. I watch in a darked room anyhow. My curtains are always closed ;)

Really? Most of them I've seen are VA, which is an improvement over TN but still looks weird to me. Especially if you like to mount it high up on the wall, viewing it from below looks like garbage compared to IPS.

Attached: va-vs-ips.jpg (699x386, 45K)

OK buddy, enjoy your OLED screen ;^)

I will and do thanks. By the time it goes funky I will probably have upgraded anyhow.

>Comparing the prices to QLED most models almost double in price.
sounds like a good deal, as qled is just lcd
thats right, the area of focus in the center of your pupil is expected to see at least 8k, so 4k is a meme