Fedora linux

what does Jow Forums think about this distro?

Attached: fedora.jpg (700x467, 63K)

If it's running Linux kernel, it's shit.

Its OK I guess.

its good

I've found it to be kinda useless.
It's not as bleeding edge as Arch but still can fuck up your system after an update (at least in my experience).
Although, I guess that If you need to use the latest kernel - Fedora is not the worst choice.

It's alright

RedHat = NSA

Enjoy your botnet and backdoors.

Attached: 2ce3873cf4f1f3f6a0b7a89d0880f728af200ea5f2be7ddf566bd9fab8bab57f.jpg (576x768, 75K)

It's ok.
Except when dragora is "locked by another application"

I'm more of a fan of Debian-based distros simply because I've used them my whole life. But there's nothing inherently wrong with it, other than SELinux being a bit fucky to deal with at times and of questionable utility on a desktop.

No, Arch is the QUEEN of fucking up your system after an update. No one, not eve LFS can compete. You can literally do a fresh install of arch and use pacman -Syu only once, and fuck up your system. Fedora has never had this problem.

>of questionable utility on a desktop
What do you mean?

AppArmor is easier to configure and offers fine security.

Personally I love it. Just get rid stuff like selinux and dragora. I've literally had zero problems and packages are pretty up to date. Easy setup with rpm fusion and you are good

>Fedora has never had this problem.
I guess that it's just werks on your machine.
Back when I used Fedora (around 25) I had one kernel update which made my system literally unbootable, and one other time after gdm update I couldn't login into GNOME shell anymore.
Using openSUSE since 42.2 and it has never broke anything on my system after an update. Granted, openPEPE has it's own flaws but that's another story.

Attached: 1530593968756.jpg (480x480, 86K)

bamp

Used it for a while and then went back to Xubuntu. It's pretty good though.

>fedora
>many fedoras

only distro i like, has a lot of issues though.

like what?

updates can crash the system, video issues. just started using again so i'm sure i can come up with more very soon.

If I want to be a sysadmin I assume I should be learning this instead of ubuntu systemd/linux.

I'm sure other people have their problems with it, but it's the perfect distro for me. People should give it a try, unless they want the KDE experience. The KDE spin is garbage.

What DM are you using?

DE? Cinnamon and LXQt on an old laptop.

Fedora is literally Arch for grownups

Good distro bad name

>GNOME
I've been using fedora ever since version 16 and used to have many issues with gnome3, so I switched to XFCE on fedora 18 and didn't find any serious issues. I tried gnome about 3 months ago and it broke at the first reboot, so there's that.

>In May 2011 Fedora became the first major Linux distribution to enable systemd by default.

There's nothing wrong with systemd but Red Hat pushed it with its prevalent prosition in the Linux world.

Attached: systemd.png (354x276, 20K)

(OP)
>Fedora has never had this problem.
Correction: Fedora has not had this problem since it switched to DNF as its package manager.
Yum assumes the end user isn't an idiot, knows how their system works, and actually checks the packages that are being updated. If you missed any of those 3, you were bound to be fucked at some point.
I've always been in the habit of blindly updating 400 packages at once, and I don't mind fixing anything so this used to happen a lot. But truth be told I haven't had this happen once since i made the 22 move.

Tldr; if this happens to you on Fedora, you IQ is probably dangerously low.

Absolutely godawful.

KDE is shit. RPM is shit. Their INSTALLER is shit. If you aren't using RHEL in a professional environment, don't even bother.

>Their INSTALLER is shit.
really? you can choose whatever software you want, no bloat

Yep and then you can cry when it somehow fucks it up even though you just mashed through the default options and you can't boot because it didn't install something mandatory or for some reason STILL doesn't support Ryzen.

fpbp

only pedophiles and terrorists use linux

It used to be a polished distro, but after version 13 something happened and it's gone sour. It's raw and ugly now, with a weird selection of apps and settings.

i tried it out in the past and didn't care for it much. ended up switching to arch because i enjoy dumping a shitload of time in to keeping my system running like a dipshit.

Did you report a bug?

AppArmor is garbage compared to SELinux, it's nowhere as restrictive which you always benefit from when hardening your system. Easy != good

>duplicate of #getfucked
>WONTFIX

Does Selinux need any more configuration than how it is out of the box? Everything is enabled and enforced, so I assume no? And how else would you go on to harden this distro?

Literally can't use it cause it's called fedora
>Feels slimy when I ssh into
Like going raw in a hog

it's american

Bump

*tips distribution*

FacebookOS

I haven't used arch but this was basically my experience with Fedora. I installed it, updated once, and no longer could connect to the internet. I reinstalled it just to test and again I had internet until I updated it.

Bump

I've been using Fedora since version 16 or 17 and I used it for many years without much trouble. However Fedora is acting up with the nvidia driver since they switched to Wayland. Even with a clean install, installing the nvidia drivers will give me a black screen on the next reboot. I tried versions 25, 26, and 27 so far and they all give me the same problem. I'm on manjaro until the transition to Wayland is finished. I'll check back on version 28.

Attached: 70424003_p0.jpg (334x459, 132K)

Only thing I hate about it is its relatively slow boot up time

>Yum assumes the end user isn't an idiot, knows how their system works, and actually checks the packages that are being updated. If you missed any of those 3, you were bound to be fucked at some point.
I think this is why Debian and its daughter distros are so dominant. apt just werks, I can't remember a time in the last 10 years that it's broken something.

>no precompiled zdoom rpm package

Not for me

>user, Fedora respects your freedom
>no wifi
>no graphics card
>Ok i'll just DKMS the closed source drivers
>breaks everything

I've only had one update that majorly fucked everything up that wasn't on the Arch website. It was a mesa bug, I forget the details but they changed some library and forgot to change some dependancy and broke X. Pretty much every other bug is caused by not reading the pacnew files.

a good compromise between rolling release and stable fixed release. The only problem that you will have to make a full upgrade (or reinstall) every year and that having the newest shit will give you some instability.

That aside, it's a good everyday distro for most tasks but like some user said before, if you don't care about bleeding edge software and you don't have recent hardware, just use Debian with backports/flatpak/snaps/appimages