AMD Moves All 7nm CPU, GPU Production to TSMC

extremetech.com/computing/276169-amd-moves-all-7nm-cpu-gpu-production-to-tsmc

AMD will no longer use GlobalFoundries for any of their leading edge products. Ryzen 3000 and Navi will be made entirely by TSMC

>AMD’s next major milestone is the introduction of our upcoming 7nm product portfolio, including the initial products with our second generation “Zen2” CPU core and our new “Navi” GPU architecture.
>We have already taped out multiple 7nm products at TSMC, including our first 7nm GPU planned to launch later this year and our first 7nm server CPU that we plan to launch in 2019. Our work with TSMC on their 7nm node has gone very well and we have seen excellent results from early silicon. To streamline our development and align our investments closely with each of our foundry partner’s investments, today we are announcing we intend to focus the breadth of our 7nm product portfolio on TSMC’s industry-leading 7nm process.

Attached: AMD-Zen-Feature-640x354[1].jpg (640x354, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/13277/globalfoundries-stops-all-7nm-development
semiwiki.com/forum/content/7433-intel-10nm-yield-issues.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is something wrong with TSMC?

Attached: 0a.png (1316x787, 310K)

>Muh 5GHz Ryzen

Attached: 1535012839934.gif (250x188, 1.63M)

TSMC is antisemitic

but Turing is done by TSMC

Isn't TSMC the same place nvidia buy their silicon?

So they won't do business with Intel or Nvidia? What's the big deal here?

I think GlobalFoundries has a cooler logo and name than TSMC

this probably doesn't matter when you are trying to get 7nm working

Attached: flat800x800075f.jpg (645x773, 49K)

search the fucking catalog, fucks sake, like 5th post about this

This is bad because...?

The accompanying news.

anandtech.com/show/13277/globalfoundries-stops-all-7nm-development

Essentially, the sandniggers don't want to race against the chinks and gooks anymore.

>Meanwhile, having spent well over $20 billion on GlobalFoundries over the last 10 years, Mubadala, the owner of the company, is not inclined to lose more money or invest tens of billions in the hopes of becoming profitable one day. The investor wants GlobalFoundries to stop bleeding and start generating profits.

the uarch improvements will rape Intel just the same. but who told you it won't clock high?

>THREADRIPPER 4 in 2022
>16 cores & 32 threads, mid-tier
>Stock 4.4GHz across all cores, Turbo to 5GHz on all
>~125W while 100% load on all cores & threads
>Easily guaranteed OverClock to 5.2GHz across all cores while on stock Air even at worst lottery loss possible, 5.5+ GHz when on top tier AIO water (not even FCWCL)
>~400$

Attached: 1531393250828.gif (300x257, 1.54M)

yes, TSMC is the leading fabrication company on the planet since Intel fell behind on 10nm

The same TSMC that got shut down by WannaCry last year? Top fucking jej m80

>TSMC 2019
>7nm LP (Low power)
>no EUV no sharp light to etching the circuit

i thought the secret IBM tech gave GF a boost?

>hehe i-it's nothing, right, guise?

Attached: nonono.jpg (267x297, 24K)

>Last year

there was no secret IBM tech, GlobalFoundries was trying to create their own 7nm process and fucked it up just like how they fucked up 14nm and every other process node before it, they've been getting a ton of business at 12nm and 14nm(the process they licensed from Samsung) so they'll survive without AMD

It did, but it also meant that they are obligated to finish the job for IBM
Either the node can't do sane yields anytime soon or they're waiting to get sued by IBM
GF took over IBM foundries along IP and future obligations

it was like 2 weeks ago, and it was just Intel testing their ability to use their hardware backoors

just wait for them to really shut it down in a couple of months

screenshort this

The main problem is that the process from IBM was designed for mainframes. So think high power server chips. This is a problem in our mobile first world, where nodes like that aren't good for mobile chips. The main issue on why GF gave up was the loss of Epyc 2 to TSMC because they could not deliver on the timeline AMD wanted. So GF was left with only Ryzen 3xxx/Zen 2 designs, although I expected them to keep producing 7nm and only be behind 2 quarters on the process node advancement. To the owners, the fabs and R&D for 7nm were not profitable enough in their cost analysis to keep developing further since they could not find enough customers for it, with only having AMD producing their consumer 7nm chips on it being the biggest customer.

>Meanwhile, having spent well over $20 billion on GlobalFoundries over the last 10 years, Mubadala, the owner of the company, is not inclined to lose more money or invest tens of billions in the hopes of becoming profitable one day. The investor wants GlobalFoundries to stop bleeding and start generating profits.

Basically, the company is a money sink and the owners are cost cutting whatever they can to have GF turn whatever small profit they can get.

yes GF did do that but they didn't take any secrets fabrication tech with them, IBM was falling behind too and GF took their manufacturing wing off their hands

No, but GloFo is waking up to their fucking place in things

Honestly, don't blame anyone for not wanting to be the first to EUV. What a PITA.

Also Apple

I did search...

Oy vey, Turing is anti-semitic.

>Everyone criticising AMD is an Intel shill
Care to get the stick outta your ass?

guess it was too good to be true
might have to wait for decent clockspeeds with the 4xxx series

"TSMC" is shorter than "GlobalFoundries". Since we're talking about 7nm, TSMC will probably do a better job. It's literally in the name, user.

you first

ayyy

Attached: Friendship ended with GF.jpg (634x474, 116K)

GloFo's 14nm was also low power and they still delivered above expectations (guess it was 3.2GHz, but it could do 4GHz, albeit with a horrible efficiency curve)

lyl

BASED AND REDPILLED TSMC

INTLEL 10NM ABORTED GARBAGE DOA FOR ETERNITY

This! Those fake chinese need to remember the 6 gorillion

Attached: 1499963016439.jpg (691x771, 112K)

AMD can go with either Samsung or TSMC, Intel is still finished.

>our 7nm process is expected to give you 5GHz and more
>we altered our 7nm so it's more similar to other 7nm processes
>we scrapped our 7nm process
you are here
>we went bankrupt because of our 7nm process

GF is fine, they announced a month or two ago they had billions in contracts for their 12nm/14nm because there just aren't enough fabs in the world apparently and companies want mature processes that have been used for years and are less expensive than bleeding edge 7nm

still glad AMD is rid of them

They won't be missed anyway

```````````````````````7nm ryzen wont make the architecture more efficient

7nm ryzen7 is going to be 20% worse than 14nm i9 8c/16t

sure it will be 20% cheaper but that doesnt make it a better buy.

>Source: my ass

yes, 7nm is more efficient than 12nm and 14nm, this is a provable fact and you are typing bullshit with no chance of ever finding a source for your claims

If Intel was alive you would be right, but Intel is dead

intel is kill. andy grove is turning in his grave.

Were you being gassed when you wrote this? It sure looks like it

well actually 8700k is 400euro and 300usd.

if 9900k is 530euro that means it will only be 400usd lol

AMD fucked.

cheaper than ryzen7 and 20% faster ^_^

TSMC will be compromised again by ransomware in the next two years.
No killswitch IP this time.
People will blame the Russians or Turkish this time.
Graphics card prices will skyrocket again, leading to crypto prices going to the roof and the "hackers" raking money like crazy.

Mark my words. Screencap this.

do the needful sir

fucking up 14nm and 7nm.
GloFlo should file bankruptcy in 2021 and beyond

>Intel and its Jewish tricks
Bet you buy the latest iPhone each year too

Attached: 98797987987.png (363x364, 8K)

i dunno, having a cooler name enabled blu-ray to ass rape HD-DVD

They can't produce as many chips as Gloflo could. Not to mention they only have one foundry in the US (which will cause supply problems selling in the US).

>TSMC cant produce as many chips as GloFo

AYYYYY LMAO

Apple fabricated their SoC at TSMC.

TSMC made those monster Pascal chips. If anything this is a net plus.

I'm sure they already learned from Intel how much of a money sink EUV is.

There's also the issue of Nvidia having priority over other companies on production runs.

>a money sink EUV is.
Intel didn't trip up on EUV.
semiwiki.com/forum/content/7433-intel-10nm-yield-issues.html

Unless AMD can pull it off with GPU I don't think Nvidia has nothing to fear.

Who here Taiwanese?

Attached: 1507280330683.jpg (901x543, 146K)

the sky is the limit once AMD bounces GCN for good, ask Intel how complacency got them in such a winning long term position

Republic of China best China!

Unironically j-just you wait!
I hope now that they're profitable they'll be able to put more engineers on radeon

>I don't think Nvidia has nothing to fear
What did he mean by this?

AMD isn't releasing a high-end consumer GPU until 2020. They basically gave up.

Read it again, user is trying to tell us something.

I see what he did there.

they do nvidia shit already
that's a good thing

AYYY LMAO

If AMD has a contract with TSMC then they already have their place and price locked in. We don't even have any proof that Nvidia has made any meaningful plans outside of design on 7nm GPUs.