A professor shares files with his students by placing them in a publicly accessible directory on the Computer Science...

>A professor shares files with his students by placing them in a publicly accessible directory on the Computer Science department’s Linux system. One day he realizes that a file placed there the previous day was left world-writable. He changes the permissions and verifies that the file is identical to his master copy. The next day he finds that the file has been changed.

How could this have happened and how could it have been prevented?

Attached: 0210132023023.png (692x816, 279K)

>mom found the NSA backdoor

he forgot to verify the owner/group?

Why share files in a way that can be modified if people are not supposed to modify them?
Share the files via an http server or something

because a college professor can reasonably expect his students not to be (figurative) niggers

He didn't do his own homework.

That's where you are wrong

Publically accessible, so maybe someone else managed to get root and change the file?

I dunno, either the students are in his usergroup or they used world-executable rights somehow?

Changed the permissions on what exactly? The file itself or was the prof in a hurry and chmod the directory?

they made a copy of it as a hidden file in that directory and then renamed that to the original name after he changed the permissions

Someone replaced the file with a symlink to a copy that they owned?
Or possibly hardlinked I guess, does each link have separate permissions, I forget.

It wasn't actually linux.

do your own homework faget

>an entire fucking 500 men factory shares files through SMB
>the database is in access97 , it can only be """accessed""" from 3 select computers and not at the same time
>the payroll is in foxpro
>everything else is done in Excel
>the frontend is outlook
>we have a folder inside the SMB folder called "INFECTED DO NOT OPEN" that hosts an ancient worm that somehow has been contained there.
Please kill me

Attached: eye.jpg (212x194, 10K)

>we have a folder inside the SMB folder called "INFECTED DO NOT OPEN" that hosts an ancient worm that somehow has been contained there.
oh my fuck somehow I actually believe this one.

Attached: kek.jpg (600x582, 61K)

>because a college professor can reasonably expect his students not to be (figurative) niggers

I used to mitm replace every image in my building`s network with goatse while roleplaying as the cctv server.

>>we have a folder inside the SMB folder called "INFECTED DO NOT OPEN" that hosts an ancient worm that somehow has been contained there.
Holy fuck

Get outta there

Attached: 1523939097699.jpg (960x720, 34K)

Why would you replace everything with images of goats ?

Imagine showing the ropes to some new employee and then being loke "ok dude see this folder here, it hosts an ancient worm and you must not disturb it"

He changed the file permissions of the hosted file but not his master file. If he wanted that to not happen he should have just not changed it.

jews.