GNOME

is it really that bad?

Attached: 494px-Gnomelogo.svg.png (494x600, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_cjfvH9UekA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes

no, its worse

it gets better every release.
there is a lot of useful software in the gnome ecosystem, like gnome-keyring and evolution.
most of the problems currently are basically gjs, which should hopefully get overhauled soon.

even if you don't use the Desktop environment as a whole, the individual software components are definitely worth considering.

Not at all. The default file manager is really the only thing that annoys me about it.

i use gnome. it would be perfect if it weren't so buggy sometimes

Attached: 180811 DMZ 평화콘서트 여자친구(GFRIEND) 냉면 예린 직캠 @임진각 평화누리공원- (608x1080, 2.86M)

>even if you don't use the Desktop environment as a whole, the individual software components are definitely worth considering.

this.

>>even if you don't use the Desktop environment as a whole, the individual software components are definitely worth considering.
this thread is about the DE, and yes OP its shit

It's good. Has a lot of cool stuff built in (night light), a great settings manager, and sane defaults. Buggy and crashy? Yes, but not more than windows explorer, and it does constantly improve.

I like the design, and that everything werks ootb. kinda annoys me that there are fewer configuration options compared to, say, KDE. for example, power settings, like setting screen brightness on AC and on battery, or tweaking the window manager / theme, or disabling the compositor with a shortcut

>I'm imbecile. I like to suck cocks.
Ok

Its the best DE on GNU/Loonix right now, the rest are shitty amateur hacks
ps. use the keyboard, dont be that point&clic faggot

Attached: 1165176492_f.jpg (500x375, 21K)

Gnome is the most comfy of the non-non-minimalist DEs.

didn't meant to type 2 nons

>using DE
>not being an amateur hack

>applefag defending his DE

gnome is the most keyboard-driven de out there

>it gets better every release
I know, they just now introduced a revolutionary feature: desktop icons

...why?

It's a revolutionary way of managing your workflow better. Imagine, now you can icons of your favorite programs the way you like! Now you can use different corners of the screen for different categories of programs!
I wonder, what will GNOME developers make next? Could be a revolutionary way of managing your tasks?

or i hit superkey and type like 2-3 letters and literally enter and get what I want without looking and pecking at some icon.

Given how stagnant xfce is I’m starting to prefer gnome these days

It started off really bad in the 90s. It looked like a knock off Amiga. Then it slowly got better through through the 2.x releases. Then it became a garbage fire with the 3.x releases. They ignored all their users and shoved some broken javascript turd down everyone's throats.

Cant even into battery life as good as winblows 10. It's trash

You don't even need to remember the name ofyour program anymore with Desktop icons!

No (yes)

desktop icons in gnome haven't been a thing in years
if your gnome experience is ubuntu, which I'm guessing most people are, then you're getting some shitty overthought middleground between what news want and what gnome does.

its cool if you like having a 30px horizontal useless bar on the top of all your app

Not as good as KDE, that's for sure.

if you could ignore the bugs and insane ram used it's the best because overview
otherwise it's crap because unfixed bugs for 10+ years

>it gets better every release.
the new control center is unironically not better

It can be pretty without much tweaking, and feels kind of nice, but it's so locked down. I think that excellent Wayland support is the only thing it's really got going for it, besides a weather app that doesn't eat ass.

yes, it's garbage

I don't think so. It's very customizable, there are hundreds of useful extensions and good looking themes. Only parts of default GNOME desktop I don't like are Nautilus and the meme file picker, but I love the Shell/DE itself.

Attached: shark is a cute.jpg (1199x675, 53K)

no

High resource usage, liberal use of python and javascipt, memory leaks, confusing config. Otherwise, it's pretty much what all the minimalist tiling window fags really want.

I use budgie, it's a sane de with sane user interface using the GNOME stack. Recommend

what's wrong with Nautilus? I like it

It's much slower than the default file managers from lightweight DEs (Thunar, PcmanFM, Caja, etc.). There's an annoying delay every time I change folders that just doesn't happen with any other file manager.

Attached: deja vu.jpg (600x450, 76K)

I'm trying to use Gnome with extensions to give me a proper task panel and categorized applications menu, but using extensions seems to have a lot of compatibility issues. Or maybe Gnome is now just that buggy. I'm wondering if I should just use KDE, or at least Plasma, since what I want for my workflow is there by default.

>That posture
wtf are her managers doing

> It's very customizable
No, we're talking about Gnome.

yes but the alternatives are worse

Budgie doesn't look too bad, but how is it for customization? Does it have anything akin to plasmoids?

if you are looking for that "proper" task panel and categorized menu, try kde, xfce, mate, cinnamon, etc.
those delusional people believe that the peak of the desktop was win95, you may like it.
meanwhile gnome left the past behind, and developed a modern desktop strongly influenced by WMs (you need to use the keyboard, forget about the mouse) that works in high resolutions, multiple monitors, render/scale fonts perfectly, is efficient and does not get in your way.

Attached: gnomestone.jpg (500x375, 151K)

i get why people dislike it, though i personally enjoy it. i wouldn't run it on a low powered machine of any stripe, tho, due to the horrendous performance as a result of terrible process division across the environment.

applications and the DE are more or less visually consistent and polished like in no other DE. neat.
some decisions are arguably better than others, but i have immense respect the intensive work designers have put into things.
if dont like defaults, piss easy to customize, can easily make windows make behave just like in Windows 7-10 or better, so that's neat.

codebase results in HORRIBLE pajeetware performance, memory leaks and general instability that makes it frustrating to use for more than an one hour i can't believe such a beta quality software makes a default DE in "stable" versions of popular distros. it's linux, everything 's ..so modular, so nobody takes responsibility for any fuckup. ubuntu and fedora workstation with GNOME are realistically unusable.

install budgie-desktop. or pantheon. same thing but no crashes and memory leaks.

Attached: d8e0f93a8654716ac8c0cf1dcff8e4dc25f9d45c107f2cb89a5b0d973df8f302.jpg (765x768, 76K)

Gnome is a DE designed for tablets and written in JavaScript. It was basically designed as a boomer DE from the ground-up by boomers and for boomers. They should rename it to Gboomer.

Attached: 1530041275588.jpg (675x601, 168K)

Gnome would be ok if not for fucking mutter. It has hardcoded application response timeout and because of it you continuously get a window asking "do you want to force close application or wait for it?" when you're debugging a program with an opengl window (and most likely in similar cases too). This thing alone makes gnome unusable for developers.

Attached: 1469290010348.gif (560x372, 1.13M)

Gee, if I use Gnome 3.x will I also become a such a faggot?

Plasma has windows look as default. You can and I do make it perform exactly like Ubuntu unity.

>js
>boomer language
you what?

No it's the best DE but the type of people who like to post on the internet crying about megabytes of RAM and desktop icons aren't the ones who use it happily.

but it IS customizable. that's not wrong. lots of extensions that fundamentally change how the environment works

>There's an annoying delay every time I change folders
Now This is Autism

JS is a web scripting language, it's definitely boomer and pajeet tier. Who programs a DE in web scripting language anyway? Go grab another monster out of the fridge!

> but it IS customizable. that's not wrong.
Dude, wrong thread. This is the gnome thread.

faspbps

LXDE is better

>alpha stage de
>sane
Come on.

it works fine on my machine

well let's ship your machine then
> how docker was born

a
fucking
foot

user, gnome or mate?

Attached: 1486696484377.png (649x611, 639K)

xfce

poo in loo: the desktop environment

I like it

>t. has never used Gnome for more than 5 minutes.

"boomer" now means anyone old enough to know how to use a command line.

As opposed to Zoomers who only use touchscreens because buttons scare and confuse them.

obligatory
youtube.com/watch?v=_cjfvH9UekA

how the fuck not? it's well organized and even has a search feature if you can't find something.

worst case you can use dconf or gsettings to literally set the configurables through memey "command line" interface.

>i don't know what gnome is
>I don't know how to monkey patch in javascript so gnome is not customizable.

fucking retards.

this desu