/fglt/ - Fuck SystemD Edition

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: best distro.jpg (1200x794, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#AMD
addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/firetray/
old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/
old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/9aic9p/just_installed_kubuntu_on_my_pc_love_the_design/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Working on anything interesting lads?

Hello. Besides this copypasta, how can I learn some *nix?
I don't feel comfy with my actual skills and I want to improve.

I think the first step is usually installing something in a VM. Download virtualbox and install debian

Hello! How do I partition my disk during Linux installation? And how large are these partitions supposed to be? How much is enough for the root partition? For Swap? For home? There are so many different contradictory opinions, some people say you should have only / partition, while the others tell you must make /, /boot, /home, and swap partitions, or even more. It's just confusing. How do you personally approach it? And what's the best way of partitioning for a newcomer?

Err, I already know how to install a distro like Debian, user.

no cussing please

Attached: 925479_801629119855460_2019103929_n.jpg (640x640, 102K)

>And what's the best way of partitioning for a newcomer
doing a big partition for / is easiest.
The reason for doing multiple partitions is twofold. One, because if the root drive gets COMPLETELY full, and I mean every byte of the sucker is used up, it might make it impossible to boot your computer. For this reason people like to separate /usr and /var. Two, because separating your /home partition you can reuse the same /home if you ever have to reinstall the OS

Gentoo, then?
Or just spend some time in front of a command line

On arch I can set the brightness of my laptop smoothly, on KDE neon I can only set in steps.
How do I make KDE neon behave like Arch?

Nixfag here; I'd start with bash, then move on to the internals. All distros have an info command (type info info at the prompt) that is basically free linux documentation.

Arch is a distribution and KDE is a desktop environment...
What did you use to set your brightness in Arch?

Thank you all for the support.
I will first dive myself into bash, learn the internals and then install Gentoo.

>KDE is a desktop environment
KDE neon isn't.
>What did you use to set your brightness in Arch?
built in settings of KDE

Then, if you're aching for more, check your distros documentatiom. I also personally loved OReilly's Understanding the Linux Kernel for its view into memory and process management.

Well, that sounds like a problem with KDE software/configuration.
As I've never used KDE I can't really help you, but heres the wiki page about backlights wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight

but I'm using KDE on both distros, the same exact version even. It's clearly distro-related

You can also use 16G usb sticks for several different LiveUSB installs that live directly on your USB. I find this a better experience than VMs. No installs, just plug and reboot.

Seriously read the man pages

It's clearly config related and you like the archlinux defaults less than the KDE neon defaults.

When available, info is better than man. Check the info for sed, iirc it has a breakdown of Gnu Regex along with more in depth topics on sed.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks
gentoo's handbook explains everything nicely and has a default layout you can follow.

my recommendation is to at least have your /home folder on a separate partition from root, that way you can easily keep your home folder for configurations and such when you reinstall. you don't need more than 32gb for your root when using 64bit, I have 2k packages on debian and only used ~10gib so 32gb is plenty.

Attached: 2018-08-28 15:07:19.png (421x110, 13K)

so, having one "/" partition is the most realistic? Am I supposed to also make a swap one?

Acutally I like arch defaults more.
>It's clearly config related
that's why I'm asking here. I never changed anything brightness related in my arch install, so I asked here if anyone knew how to config KDE neon to behave like arch

Would it be ok if I go with 20 gb for the root, 10 gb for swap and /home for the remaining 100+gb? What folder in Linux will be used in the same manner as win's Program Files then? And what's the difference between software installed on the / and on /home?

this is what I have on my devuan thinkpad

r*ddit.com Jow Forumskdeneon/comments/8vw45x/change_minimum_brightness/

Attached: 2018-08-28-091742_326x98_scrot.png (326x98, 2K)

I'll try this when I get back home, thanks

>10gb swap
but why?

Is there any source-based distro which uses the original (developer) packages without patches? (inb4 LFS) Are packages modified by distro maintainers for customization or for compatibility purposes?

Does /home contain all files any program would need to run?

sudo tune2fs -m 1 /dev/mapper/luks-
password:
tune2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
tune2fs: Filesystem has unsupported read-only feature(s) while trying to open /dev/mapper/luks-
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

sudo dumpe2fs -h /dev/mapper/luks-
password:
dumpe2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Filesystem volume name:
Last mounted on:
Filesystem UUID:
Filesystem magic number:
Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent 64bit flex_bg sparse_super large_file huge_file dir_nlink extra_isize metadata_csum
Filesystem flags: signed_directory_hash
Default mount options: user_xattr acl
Filesystem state: clean
Errors behavior: Continue
Filesystem OS type: Linux
Inode count: 30531584
Block count: 122095878
Reserved block count: 6104793
Free blocks: 32997588
Free inodes: 30531267
First block: 0
Block size: 4096
Fragment size: 4096
Group descriptor size: 64
Reserved GDT blocks: 1024
sudo dumpe2fs /dev/mapper/luks- | grep -i superblock
dumpe2fs 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
Primary superblock at 0, Group descriptors at 1-59
Backup superblock at 32768, Group descriptors at 32769-32827

I'm already the owner of this disk, and it has superblocks. What's going on? Why can't I execute tune2fs?

nope that's going to be mostly /usr and /lib

kind of gentoo, but you can always install from source on any distro, though.

no

No, /home contains only personal data like your configs.

I would only use that much swap if you really plan on using hibernate, it's like turning off the computer completely with a saved state and when you start it up again it will resume where you left off. not the same thing as sleep/suspend. otherwise I would just give swap ~500mb and keep swappiness at 1 to prevent as much diskwrites as possible.

Can anyone explain to me what ls' --hyperlink option actually does ?
It doesn't seem to do anything on my machine and googling it gives unrelated results

systemd did nothing wrong

So Mozilla finally cucked me into using Firefox Quantum and now I'm trying to figure out addons. Is there an equivalent to Cookie Controller that actually does the same job (e.g. not Cookie Manager)?

>Install Antergos
>ntfs drives aren't mounting so I can get my shit off Windows 10
>Install ntfs-3g to no effect
So does Microsoft do something to not play nice with Linux now or am I just doing something wrong?

I need to install drivers for my AMD A6-1450 CPU. I tried twice with two different sources and I still get this same error. How fucked am I?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-28_09-46-41.png (820x514, 46K)

because people told me that swap should be 1.5x RAM -sized
that's why I was asking

fglrx is deprecated, use open source drivers instead.

>Install ntfs-3g to no effect
in your fstab
have entries like:
UUID="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" /Mount/Pont ntfs-3g uid=UserName,gid=UserName,27,umask=0022 00
works for all mine.

can you give me a link or something?

You should only use swap when you run toasters with like 2GB RAM, if you have enough RAM don't use swap at all.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#AMD

Unless you're compiling fuck-huge C++ projects, you don't need swap if you have 8GB+

Just disable swap entirely or allocate a very tiny amount, so that the OOM killer can do its job when you run out of RAM, and your system doesn't slow to a crawl as it swaps shit to disk all the time.

1.5x RAM sized swap is old as fuck advice from when machines had a maximum of 2GB of RAM. It's still relevant for such machines, but if you've got 8GB or more then you're golden without swap space.

what is a good rss reader for GNU/Linux?
I'm not looking for something really advanced, just a basic feed reader would suffice.

Liferea

Can someone redpill me on terminals? Whats the difference between them anyway? Im using xterm, can I still rice it to look nice? Is there any riced xterms out there or do people use a specific terminal

thanks user, great software

Tilix is nice. Even comes standard on a few distros now.
And pretty much just font-rendering features, auto-complete, and other QoL stuff.
and yes, any can be riced.

How do you begin the ricing process? I have a fresh install of arch and got all my stuff set up, all it needs now is to look pretty, but I don't really know how to make it look super uguu like I see on the desktop threads.

What are the best books and other sources for learning Linux or Unix internals? I want to understand how the kernel works ground up without spending 4 years browsing the code and figuring shit out

Is it possible to completely disassociate a program started with the terminal?

For example im running a browser, I ctrl+z && bg from the terminal I spawned the browser but if I still close that same terminal the browser will close as well.

Hi, I asked this question yesterday. I'll try to word it better this time.
I'm looking for a benchmarking software for gnu/linux I can use to compare my hardware to other similar hardware. I'm working with Orange Pi and I'd like to test my hardware and compare the results with other SBCs.
Help me Jow Forums.

disown

I typed man disown but no entries were found

Seriously...

KEK

I don't get a UUID when I run lsblk --fs though and I can't mount it either. What am I doing wrong?

>What am I doing wrong?
Not posting any log/error messages.

>I don't get a UUID when I run lsblk --fs
I do not believe you

Lies. 4g swap on my 8g ram machine and hibernate werks fine.

Man up and instead of bullshitting with buttons, echo the exact value into the brightness file.

Yes?

brainlet here, how can i dual boot windows and debian? i can't seem to find a guide anywhere

Just append a & to the command.
If the program continues to throw messages into you're terminal
&> /dev/null will redirect them to the void.
command &> /dev/null & will do both.
or use this cool function I got from a long ago Jow Forums thread.
gui()
{
("${@:?}" > /dev/null 2>&1 &)
}

>install windows
>install debian
>if grub doesn't detect windows, install os-prober and regenerate grub config
ez

"man bash-builtins" or "help disown"

That dosent make the terminal not hold control of the program
disown dissociates the terminal from the program

should i make a partition in windows for debian?

yeah its pretty much Just Werked for at least ten years now. If you're using 10 remember that you have to disable that thing where when you tell it to shut down, it actually doesn't, and just does some kind of pseudo-hibernation thing instead to make it seem like it boots faster.

shrink the windows partition to free up however much space you want Linux to have, then tell the Debian installer to use that free space. How you shrink the partition doesn't matter. I think Windows can do it, or you could boot a live distro and use gparted or whatever.

and if you don't need your terminal open after you launch your gui program, you can just
command& exit

I don't think Windows can make an ext4 partition, just make a partition covering half your disk on Windows and then allocate the other half on Debian's livecd.

Is there a mail client that has the same tray icon abilities as transmission and discord, i.e. being launched minimized into tray without window?

thunderbird

alright, thanks lads

1) using it already, too bloated
2) how tf do you minimize it to tray?

I have two drives in my laptop, one ssd for the system and one hdd for storage.

I auto-mount the hdd on login with a config in /etc/fstab, with device uuid etc.

i mount the drive at this location: /media/hgst (since its a hgst drive).

Is this safe practice or is there a better/safer method of doing this?

I think you probably should mount your HDD at /home instead.

addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/firetray/

> works with Thunderbird 7.0-50.0
miss me with that gay shit

What is the best way to make a playlist/save my spot on the playlist between restarts using mpv?

old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/
>Official Subreddit of the PC Master Race We're the largest community of PC enthusiasts on the Internet!!

old.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/9aic9p/just_installed_kubuntu_on_my_pc_love_the_design/

>Eli5 please, I have no idea what a KDE desktop environment and feel like a google search would be more confusing.
>is it a windows ui overhaul?

>ignorant PC enthusiasts

Hit Shift+Q to quit or --save-position-on-quit

excellent.
thank you.

>and feel like a google search would be more confusing.
I just don't understand, is it another way of saying spoon feed me?

Attached: 1530982024984.jpg (234x216, 6K)

I'll have to prove it with a screenshot of the output later since I didn't set up remote desktop, but I get a UUID for the drive I installed Antergos onto (/dev/sda) and a burn date for my DVD drive with a disc in it (dev/sr0) but the ntfs drives (/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc) don't report anything. I don't even know how this is possible unless I'm doing something super retarded. I've even had these exact drives mount fine in the past on Ubuntu, but I wanted to try something new. I'm probably not smart enough for this shit.

Anybody ever forward X over ssh?
Did it work very well?

As-salam my brothers, compiling plasma with make -j${cores+1} kills the memory of this T430 with 4GB, how many cores do you think I could go for?

Just don't multithread at all and leave it alone til it's done.

We won't making fun of you for not doing a stage 1 install.

Yeah fingers crossed, with -j4 it failed after 2.5 hours

Attached: 1534326497388.png (393x393, 169K)

Yes, I connect to my remote Linux machines from a Windows box at work with PuTTY and Xming. I do nearly everything in the terminal, but occasionally I'll be working on a graph or PDF that I want to preview, and it works nicely to just run feh/xpdf and have it open as a window on the Windows machine.

The Unix/Linux system I deal with at work also makes use of X in this way, where there's a "host" workstation with tools, and a number of other workstations will open those tools over rsh.

getting Unity to work on Devuan and it derivatives

GNU/Linux*

>Fuck SystemD
Thanks, but could you not

Attached: Sailon.png (864x427, 647K)

I meant it's currently Solaris and moving to RedHat Enterprise Linux

did you just assume his userland?