How do you balance college classes with personal projects and video games...

How do you balance college classes with personal projects and video games? I seriously think I'm gonna have to drop video games.

Attached: 1533785391047.jpg (400x400, 15K)

nah, just drop personal projects and college

>video games
are you 15? you must be very bright to be at college at that age

good point. don't play video games.

drastically reducing time spent on video game and social media (Jow Forums, etc) will probably help you

based non-vidya games poster

Just give up vidya altogether. Immerse yourself in college by going to events and studying with your peers.

Video games are a waste of time. I haven't given them up completely but I probably get in an hour to an hour and a half of video games each week.

Anyone who plays video games past the age of 18 should be killed off.

How's this even a challenge?

>playing vidya post 2008

Based Sakurai poster

play games that matter to you more and budget time for them as opposed to just playing whenever you're bored (which at school is probably all the time).

anti-vidya posters are deprived children with so little self control they must completely abstain from all potentially distracting activity because they can't even trust themselves to make constructive choices. It's really sad such people feel the need to bring others down and rag on something they clearly know nothing about, but whatever floats the boat.

Stop playing skinnerbox crap and you will save a lot of time.

School is school, so that should take top priority. Get your school work done as quickly and efficiently as possible while still giving it the attention it deserves. Pet projects and video games are both something to do for enjoyment, so use your free time on whichever you like doing the most.

When I've got an interesting project I'm working on I usually spend less time playing games simply because working on the project is usually fun and rewarding.

Just drop video games. You'll have plenty of time to play vidya when you graduate, and honestly I found games to be the biggest drain on my time and causer of procrastination whilst at college.

Do you work. Study. Work on projects. Get involved with stuff there. Don't be stupid.

do Xmins of some productive then later do Xmins/2 of vidya. When I work on personal projects I always take a break every hour or so to play 30mins of vidya, especially if I'm stuck on something and need to refresh my mind.

>You'll have plenty of time to play vidya when you graduate
That depends on what you're getting into. But yeah, I agree, you can never be too prepared.

if you don't have time then you probably need better work/life balance

Drop games until school is done, if not entirely.

Drop college; you don't need or want it.

>anti-vidya posters are deprived children with so little self control they must completely abstain from all potentially distracting activity because they can't even trust themselves to make constructive choices. It's really sad such people feel the need to bring others down and rag on something they clearly know nothing about, but whatever floats the boat.

They just replace video games with anime and think they're somehow better off.

Attached: f073ace7c538d19f5b1cd95adb9866df.jpg (1280x853, 357K)

Really though, college graduates have the worst case of survivor bias I've ever seen. Most of them legitimately believe that they could not be successful without a degree.

Attached: 1024810.jpg (275x183, 6K)

It'd be better to watch 1 20 minute episode of your weekly seasonal anime than to play an RPG that takes 80 hours to beat.

>muh mental gymnastics
Recreation is recreation and people who spend too much time playing video games are no better nor worse than people who spend too much time watching anime or making shitty argument on Jow Forums.

The problem is addiction and playing video games is no more childish than watching anime. You only come across as insecure when you try to argue otherwise and it shows.

Fit all your classes into as little days as possible. I take 5 classes, on two days out of the week. Sure, my school day is 11 hours long, but when there's a holiday or something, I get to go to school once a week

I'm not arguing over what's childish. It's just a simple fact that video games are far more time consuming and addictive. Just about every game nowadays is made with the Skinner Box design and padded with near 100 hours of content to keep you playing for hours at a time. There are few things more self destructive than playing video games.

>I'm not arguing over what's childish. It's just a simple fact that video games are far more time consuming and addictive.

Again, this is not necessarily true. One piece has hundreds of 20 minutes episodes and is still counting. There's so much anime being put out that literally exists to drag on the story as long as possible to make as many episodes as possible; Dragonball, Naruto, Attack on Titan, there are dozens of them.

An addict can dedicate *just* as much time to watching anime as another dedicates to video games, and there are many people do who.

3 hours a day devoted to studying
2 hours to personal projects
Rest into games
No issues here.

>Again, this is not necessarily true. One piece has hundreds of 20 minutes episodes and is still counting. There's so much anime being put out that literally exists to drag on the story as long as possible to make as many episodes as possible; Dragonball, Naruto, Attack on Titan, there are dozens of them
Which is why user specified seasonal shows

4th year CS PhD student here, I have to drop video games. There's no other way for me to proceed with research if I won't make this sacrifice.

My point remains that an addict can spend "just as much time" watching seasonal shows as another does playing video games. The antithesis to only watching anime in moderation is only playing video games in moderation; you don't need to treat them like e-sports to participate and most people fall into this category.

No offense, but it looks like you're trying to justify your own reasons for watching anime and why they are better than playing video games. This is typical behavior of someone who is insecure.

I don't get it I thought g was pro vidya since the fucking board always talk about game graphics card

Attached: IMG-20180828-WA0008.jpg (720x960, 60K)

the topic of video games is basically a civil war on Jow Forums

If you get good at something you like, you'll like it even more. The better you get, the more fun it becomes. It's a self reinforcing whirlpool that will eventually become an obsession. When it does you'll have more fun doing it than video games or what ever else you used to considered pleasures. Careful though or it will consume your life..

I only play games once a year during summer break now and its fine.

>I seriously think I'm gonna have to drop video games.
It's called growing up. When you turn 18 you get all these cool new rights, privileges, and responsibilities. There's all kinds of real life shit out there for you to do.

I dropped video games during the second semester of my freshman year. It wasn't a conscious decision. I was taking 15 hours hours of classes, working on two interesting side projects, making new friends, and sleeping.

Attached: 1513723121332.jpg (445x600, 171K)

Get up early and do two hours of focused work, then go to classes and shit, then fuck around the rest of the day.

>You'll have plenty of time to play vidya when you graduate
Not everyone becomes a NEET after graduation, user.

I quit vidya at 22 after college and my life has exponentially gotten better since then, I’m 25 now. Mind you, I was quite addicted, playing 30+ hours a week in a hardcore raiding guild in WoW, competitive SC/LoL/DotA. Since I stopped I’ve learned Russian, dated grills, gone out the festivals and other city events. I couldn’t imagine taking up significant time with vidya these days. I’m too busy with things that matter.

The only games I’ll play is if it’s with my brother and sister together. She’s 9 and he’s 18.

I always find it funny that the people who feel "addicted" just play the the most complete garbage. Almost always some timesink MMO. Meanwhile FPS "addicts" make careers out of it.
If you get so invested in a video game your life is negatively impacted, you are not an addict, you are a moron.

I rarely feel the desire to play video games anymore, all the knew ones seem bad to me. What are you even playing?

I play like an hour a week. Grow up you're an adult now. Find some hobbies.

Just do all three at the same time, all the time. Go to class and take notes. When you finish your assignments and you have time, open up your personal project and work on it until the next module starts. When things are slow with the professor spinning his wheels trying to answer dumb questions, open up your paused emulator or turn-based game and make a few more moves.

Don't know about you OP, but I never play more than an hour of video games in a day anymore, and that's if I play at all. I've played thousands of hours over my life and that's long enough for me to realize that it's just unproductive.

If you're experiencing difficulty getting your shit done and paying attention to your relationships and such, games ought to be the first thing you cut back on. I wouldn't advise going cold turkey either though; if a game brings you joy and fulfillment, it's worth your spare time. If it can't and just frustrates you, it's worthless. See games for what they are - distractions, for better or for worse. If distractions don't fit in your life, you know what to do.

[spoiler]I think exactly the same of certain other sedentary hobbies like reading and watching tv btw, it's not as if video games are the only objectively unproductive activity out there[/spoiler]

>botched spoiler
Dang, forgot I was in Jow Forums for a second.

All that gaming sure has taken its toll.

Posting on Jow Forums is also a distraction. Get back to work, code monkey

Video games and reading are a decent hobby that you can talk to other people about. These types of hobbies are valuable when building relationships, just don't go overboard and ruin your life with it.

go to fucking class

Jow Forums is even worse because you're not socializing with anyone who's likely to impact your life meaningfully. Not very useful in bonding with people irl, either. I'd love to drop it completely
Yep, which is why I can't reccomend dropping hobbies like that completely unless that's absolutely what your lifestyle requires. Even then, I don't think a life spent at either extreme is well lived

I still play videogames, have other hobbies, decent grades in college, and a relationship, I played Bayonetta 1 and 2 and it was perfect, can't wait to play the third one

>Jow Forums is even worse because you're not socializing with anyone who's likely to impact your life meaningfully. Not very useful in bonding with people irl, either. I'd love to drop it completely
Oddly enough this is what draws me to Jow Forums.

80% of college students play some kind of vidya gaymes whether you like it or not. Quit larping like as you actually know anything about that.

Drop video games and replace them with a hobby that is unrelated to your major and have some discipline. Also this should be on

>80% of college students play some kind of vidya gaymes whether you like it or not.
maybe in autistic departments

Business majors are the biggest normies out there and all the ones I talk to play vidya gaymes. The fact that you don't know that tells me a lot about how little you talk to others grandpa.

>tfw work part time, college, go to gym, play videogames and have a gf
I'm literally your dream come true, faggot.

Attached: 8ees.gif (450x337, 1.87M)

I enjoyed my time. That’s a little harsh calling anyone who plays those games morons.

>He isn't part of the 20% that doesn't

Attached: 1460447051084.jpg (556x561, 15K)

I only play one or two video games every 6 months nowadays so I make sure they are good. Also if you're efficient, you can balance university, work, leisure. Depending on how good your time management is of course.

> balance college classes with personal projects and video games
Same thing, but job instead of college. And the problem partially solved itself when gaming went to shit.

>posting on Jow Forums
Are you 15?

You need a lot of break time, don't stress your mind out with games or side projects. Instead you should do some outdoor activity.

Circulation is vital for health, and without health you won't learn shit.

I love how you threw in video games with college as if they're equally important

Seriously neck yourself my man

Attached: are-you-fucking-serious.jpg (335x335, 83K)

You do pretty much have to drop vidya if you want to do both school and personal projects. In my experience at least.

Attached: 1533738007546.gif (400x480, 124K)

None of those things sounds even slightly interesting. I'd much rather play video games

And WoW is shit, so it's not like you were giving up much

That's pretty pathetic

>Circulation is vital for health,
That's that thing the heart does right?

Attached: mentally-challenged-indian.jpg (250x250, 25K)

Sad that you feel that way.

I take time off work specifically to play video games.

More pathetic than learning Russian for no fucking reason? Yeah right

Only thing there that's worth my time is fucking grills, and even then you don't need to give up video games for that

Same. Took 2 days off to play XCOM2

You don't need to give up games for any of it, the point is that user's branching out and actually doing shit meanwhile you're just a basement shut-in waiting for your mom to bring you your next plate of hot pockets.

Nice assumptions there faglord, but I'm actually in school full time. The fact you think learning Russian and fucking women makes you a productive person is what's pathetic here.
>that user's
Yeah whatever fag we all know that's you

I never said anything about productivity.
>Yeah whatever fag we all know that's you
Nah, I haven't learned Russian yet; I'm going to while in Ukraine.

Oh good, hopefully you lose your passport and have to sell your ass to get back here

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for a Peace Corps. volunteer to get back to the States with their aid.

Yawn, more boring bullshit. Much rather play video games than do that

Except you have a job already. This faggot is still in school and he's worried about making time for fucking vidya. You don't see a problem with that?

What I want to know is how my classmates have enough time for working out in the gym and partying and still get better grades than me despite the fact that I do nothing but study, eat and sleep.

maybe you're just a dumb motherfucker. Try studying less and enjoy a bit more

>normal person schedule involves having 16 hours available per day
>3 study + 2 hours personal project
>just gaym the rest 11 lmao
Borderline delusional if you think university is anywhere close to the weekly-diddly test your teacher gave you. My first year I spent most of my time gayming rather than studying, needless to say I was lagging a lot by the end of it, ditching them all together.
Growing up means putting aside toys.

consider the following:
special ed classes might be a tighter fit for you

Ignore videogames and focus on study

You'll have so many games to play when you finish your degree

Attached: elder_scrolls_6_news.jpg (960x540, 58K)

My "free days" are basically Saturday and Sunday. However, I always work on some pending stuff during the mornings.

In my case I dropped personal projects. There's simply no time for during classes.

Also, if you're totally NO FUN ALLOWED you'll probably get tired of programming. This is the worst possible situation.
So just take your time. Work on your personal projects during vacations.

You'll eventually get tired of programming when you realize is a job that even a monkey could do.

you dont get tired of it when you build MMO goldfarming bots to earn shekels from gaymers who are lazy to play but want to reach endgame, which is a growing market due to zoomers growing up and getting jobs and uni & less time to play.

Attached: 1535393933786.jpg (1049x1049, 143K)

The thing that we have to figure out here is what exactly is "productive".
You can work to advance yourself to increase your earning and advance your career. That is productive, sure. But at the end of the day why do you want to earn money or advance your career? If you get so much satisfaction from your job that that is all you want to do then sure, it's time well spent.
But I'm guessing for a lot of people, they want to make that money so they can do the things in life they really enjoy.
I mean sure give up everything you enjoy be super productive, earn lots of money, be the perfect employee, move up the ranks, be the boss, but unless that's what you really enjoy in life what's the point?
Why not just kys and save yourself a lifetime of torment?

Working out takes like an hour if that, less if your school has a gym. Stop being a lazy fuck.

Literally drop your personal projects. Wait until you get really good at what you do (3rd 4th year), then do shit

What video game are you working user? I would just finish college I mean youre already there.

Not sucking your teachers cock or puss for better grades.
>Its 2018 user

Attached: images (9).jpg (226x223, 8K)

Success comes from balancing yourself and working in sprints. You will get more accomplished in sprints than you will in marathons. Taking breaks to do other things (personal projects, gaming, working out, eating, sleeping, etc.) allows you to take in more because you're not spinning on the wheel.

It's like this: if you have an assignment to do, put in a couple hours to finish it. Once it's done, take nearly the exact amount of time to recover from working. Time yourself (don't overdo your recovery and "procrastinate") and return back to something else. Balance this around your classes and outside of school and you can be far more efficient. The old paradigm of "all-nighters" and crammig is bullshit; you'll just burn out and get nothing accomplished. This method lets you keep going at long stints and be as productive as possible. When you don't have things to do, you can slack off more like on the weekends.

If you start doing this now, this will become a habit that will make you immensely successful out of school.

just cut back on the video games, it's not that hard. i did comp sci at a decent
state university with good grades and still had plenty of free time. this isn't a "pick two" situation, it's just shit time management.

>grow up in smalltown nowheresville NY
>best I can get is some back-breaking/lung-ruining tradesman job at like $13/hr
>get CompE degree
>suddenly worth 70k+ and relocation packages out the wazoo from huger companies

haha yeah college is a scam amirite fellow contrarians xD

I quit all vidya but runescape. I usually pop a bond when I know I'll have a few easy weeks inc.

Don't play games until after tests or graduating. All other times you should be studying or collaborating.

I spend maybe 4-5 hours a week on college (except lectures). CE is piss-easy and the rest of the time i spend on pet projects and other more recreational hobbies. I only game when friends ask me to join, and mostly i say no. Dont even have a windows install, so when i do play games its mostly counter strike.

Give me the pills on video games. I've mostly stopped playing but want to get back into them because I hate my life. I'm also trying to learn to program to improve my life, but I'm dumb so it's not working.

Attached: 1411696323868.jpg (1280x720, 261K)