/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 1534300965590.jpg (1414x2000, 2.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9b2bl7/are_my_thx00_broken/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9azauw/people_that_say_dacs_dont_do_anything_are_so_wrong/
audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php
audiocheck.net/testtones_hearingtestaudiogram.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9b2bl7/are_my_thx00_broken/

Lyr 3 kills again

Is the DT 880 250ohm worth it without an amp?

What else is new from this company I don't expect anything less

Attached: Audio G.jpg (1617x723, 698K)

my QT3.14 portable FLAC setup. Replaced the blue foam plugs with red ones tho.

Attached: zip clip.jpg (445x766, 66K)

REPOST

Here we go
>bueget
~$60 more or less .. Including shipping
>Location
Israel
watanimall.com is a site i sometimes use to buy and compare prices
>Source
smartphone for music mostly
>Type of headphone
over-ear
>Open or closed
closed I guess?
>Comfort level
good enough

I was planning on buying the JBL T450BT which i saw with a friend and liked its low-profile design, but never really got to inspect or test it, and while searching for it I found the Sony XB650BT which has similar design
I can't really decide on which to get, also any recommendations on the same criteria are welcome (low profile, slim and flat design)
Also these headphones are kinda expensive on the website i mentioned above(~$100) (they also include $10 shipping) and couldn't find either of them on Amazon that can be shipped to Israel

Attached: 4833400cv11d.jpg (1000x763, 197K)

Should I go ahead and get a Cavalli Liquid Carbon to use with the HD800?
Since it's balanced it can pair well with it, plus the Cavalli has its own signature sound.
Only problem is that they're now discontinued so I'll be taking a risk getting one.
>what do anons?

massdrop lcx

questyle cma400i

Attached: 400i.jpg (1000x563, 92K)

Oh! didn't know about this bad boy.
How's the sound and how does it pair with the HD800S?

I am kinda of under the impression that Amp 'sound' is overblown. It drives them fine. I have an a/b switch to test it against the magni/d50 just haven't done it yet, but I'm really doubting there's much of a difference in terms of 'coloring' the sound. I looked and looked through forums and people talking about what pairs well with the HD800S, you'll always find someone that owns something that will praise the combo and someone else who tried it and owns something else who calls it bad. Really I think it is all nonsense in the end. That being said I got my questyle on ebay for $600 practically new (guy said he had it 2 months). Came in original box and has acryllic topper with it. It does have more driving power with balanced.

Attached: 793495537a1a544bgen[1].jpg (620x826, 133K)

Today on reddit: Some retarded cuck buys a Schiit DAC, calls everybody who claims that DACs make no auidable improvement delusional, and gets mass upvoted!

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9azauw/people_that_say_dacs_dont_do_anything_are_so_wrong/

Attached: 1517194890095.jpg (417x435, 28K)

I hear you there. What works for some doesn't for others. But personally, how do you like the sound of the Questyle?

>going on reddit to find things to bring back to your circlejerk
Stay there and don't return

>Okay, but what are you listening to?
>Sinatra, coldplay, pink floyd, gorillaz, queen etc. All via Tidal btw.

no

It sounds great, and the magni sounds great, the HD800S sound great.

Okay, I'm just text afterall

>66% upvoted
I wouldn't say that is mass upvoted

If you don't mind me asking, what are your musical tastes like?
What do you mostly listen on the HD800S?
>wonder if it will pair well with what I listen to: piano, classical, techno, some metal occasionally.

A whole lot of Autechre and Aphex Twin, Polvo, Big Black, Shellac, Slint, Burial

get urself balanced, my man

Attached: 85228.jpg (2016x1512, 394K)

All in all, the Questyle looks good/solid.
Just read on their webpage that it works with Win/Mac, so, makes me wonder if I were to use it as a DAC via USB would I need to install drivers to make it work?
>I normally run Linux so compatibility does matter to me

The mind is a powerful thing
The sound comes from the headphones
Amp can make very subtle changes if any probably mostly unperceptable
DACs as long as they are transparent and not fucked up in their design dont have a sound.

Issue is with high end audio no double blind abx testing is done because audiophiles are in denial and dismiss it. It's almost like a religious cult at that point.

What's the nicest piece of equipment you have?

I've listened to my Audezes on 5 different amps and it has a different character on each one. It's really easily noticeable. It's not like night and day, but you can clearly hear it

It is balanced, I use it balanced

They're like wine fags

You can perceive but can't distinguish.

I'm pretty sure I read it runs on Linux somewhere. It is plug and play functional but I installed its drivers on windows.

Can my pixel 2 power 80 ohm headphones?

They power the 770 80 ohm and HD600 very well. Louder than I'd ever like them to be.

this

alright suit yourself. Maybe some day you'll have enough money for some real equipment and you'll know

Attached: 1461495790057.jpg (355x440, 130K)

You're full of shit

Sure dude.

Attached: hamm.jpg (292x292, 55K)

Don't forget to let your equipment burn in

Yeah I don't find burn-in arguments persuasive. I don't bother with that shit

i got some magic rocks for ya, $599.99, expands soundstage and blackens the background
you interested?

If you're trying to shame me into thinking the two amps I have and the three I tried at the audio store all sound the same, you're not doing a particularly good job of it. You're welcome to keep trying though

Can't fix stupid

Imagine being this emotionally invested in a purchase.

...wait hold on, what are you people even doing here if you think this is all bullshit?

headphones, dumbass

this is not multibit DAC/amp general

Headphones aren't bullshit, and having a reasonable amp isn't bullshit for some headphones. But it is clear to me that people are being taken advantage of on a massive scale and deluding themselves

I'm not shaming you, I'm laughing at you. Go on, make some other wild audiophool claim.

>people are being taken advantage of on a massive scale and deluding themselves

Yeah I agree, but those are generally the people who have like military grade armored cables sticking out of their shit and argue about copper alloys. Those people sound like flat-earthers to me.

I mean, my amp/dac thing costs half as much as my headphones. I've listened to them on a cheap Fiio I use at work, and they don't sound as good, and I've listened to them on a massive McIntosh amp at a hifi store and they sounded significantly better. But not $5,000 better. Half as much as the headphones seems like a reasonable amp to me, for nice headphones

I doubt there is an actual audible difference. I suspect a lot of the time people either are subject to placebo, or a slight difference in loudness.

Louder music is perceived as better by many.

This. Fuck off to the other audio thread for circlejerking, lubed up with plenty of snake oil.

I started with the magni but didn't feel right plugging the HD800S into it so I upgraded to the questyle cma400i. Really I haven't tested them back to back much but first impression there is no difference. The magni has distortion on the volume knob and feels cheap, so thats that.

Well you've clearly made up your mind based on what you think things might be like. I'm happy for you

Unless you have some empirical evidence to the contrary that extends beyond "I heard it lmao," then yes.

Is Hi-Res audio a meme? Why should I pay for Tidal?

Attached: HiRes Audio.jpg (1920x1080, 149K)

because you're a dumbfuck nigger cattle

Now that I think about it, I guess Jow Forums is the place where people who think their imagination and reality are the same thing would be

Look up where the human hearing range ends at, then go back to that graph. Bitrate affects the noise floor.

So no evidence then?

I mean, what do you want, an MRI of my brain? Different amps have stats like THD, but I don't even read those or know about their relative significance. I just listen to shit

Excuse me, I mean bit depth

If you want the best quality streaming audio, then yes, Tidal is what you want. If you're an average joe who just likes music? Nah, other services are just fine. If you're an old fogey like me who actually likes to have copies of his music, then hell no.
Hi-res itself is a meme, but it don't hurt nothin'.

audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

Test takes no time at all and you'll know exactly why you shouldn't care.

MRI would probably show you experiencing the placebo effect if the science has gotten far enough.

I suspect an MRI would not reveal much inside your head.

take the L and move on dude

come back with proof next time you shill your 24bit ultradac

owned

Got an xonar u7 mkii today, did I like it?

Win your $10,000 from Richard Clark and then come back.

Attached: 1533413307952.jpg (500x333, 125K)

Attached: headphones.jpg (594x532, 86K)

Uhm how do i get a gf like this?

never

unless the president keeps his promise to make anime real

>audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php
Interesting Reference, Thx.

Attached: 1458442173476.jpg (1124x1024, 183K)

can a flio 10k be used as a standalone dac?

Cute drawing of me

Nice headphones bro.

>12Khz
Are my ears this fucked already?

How old are you?

That's pretty bad, bro. I have hearing loss from working in a Helicopter Squadron for years, and I still get a touch above 13Khz. I'm 33, btw.

Pretty much yeah. But look on the bright side, those frequency response graphs just got a lot easier to read. Look how flat they are in the area you can actually hear!

Oof, time to invest in some ear plugs user. I'm 27, played in bands for years, hundreds of shows and practices.
I can still hear up to 16khz luckily, but I wear ear plugs at every show, whether I'm on stage or in the audience, and I'm careful about my listening volume.
Once your hearing is gone it's gone, so you gotta protect it.

what kind of helos? blackhawks?

People honestly should teach their kids to wear plugs to every show, performing or not. Hearing loss and Tinnitus are forever, and if OHSA requires earplugs, why wouldn't you use them for recreation?
Close, UH-1N/AH-1W. I was with HMLA-169 at the tail end of the N/W era, everything is quad-rotor now (UH-1Y/AH-1Z). I saw my first AH-1Z in the air the day I left Pendleton forever. For the record though, it was the CH-53E's that made the most noise on the flightline (only other model on the line was CH-46 Phrogs). I thank God every day that I didn't serve in a harrier squadron, because DAMN those things are loud. Fun fact: when you get out of the airwing in the Marine Corps, the Corpsmen at medical out-processing all tell you to get your hearing tested at the VA, because you are pretty much guaranteed to have lost a good chunk of your audible hearing range and will get disability for it. I'd rather have my hearing back, but money ain't so bad.

Going to an audiologist tomorrow to get tested. Now I'm sad.

Just think about all of the hard disk space you'll save on reasonably lossy audio.

that's really cool. thanks for sharing user

Don't be sad, I still enjoy all of my music immensely even without everything over 13Khz. You're not actually deaf, right? Then do what I did, and start working to preserve what hearing you have left.

I have hd800s d7000s sr303 and have sr009 coming today

Who is actually going to put sounds above 12KHz in anything anyway?

Retard

Attached: IMG_20180827_091425.jpg (1512x2688, 1.36M)

There are a few high level harmonics from treble type instruments but not a lot of information

>People honestly should teach their kids to wear plugs to every show, performing or not.
Absolutely. When I was 13 or so, me and some buddies were jamming in our garage crazy loud. My friend's dad who'd played in bands flipped when he saw we weren't wearing ear plugs. I got a pair then and haven't looked back since, thankful for that lesson every time I listen to music.

Is that a dust cover for your stax?

Yeah bought it for the 009s which should be in my hands tonight

That's just high frequency though, hearing loss is mostly going to be about volume sensitivity. They have a more comprehensive test here:
audiocheck.net/testtones_hearingtestaudiogram.php

Although you need a very quiet room or isolating headphones.

can EQ make audio sound "compressed" or "underwater?" I applied a modest 3dB gain to some sub bass frequencies just to try it out on HD600s, turned the preamp down and it sounds kind of bad with EQ on.

So is the Beyerdynamic D880/990 treble spike really /that/ bad? They seem like great headphones for mixing besides that.

Okay, this is epic.

Attached: IMG_20180828_201029172~3.jpg (1200x1818, 382K)

NICE Display, Bro, bretty comfy. Are those Focals self-powered?

Attached: 20150612_214932.jpg (5312x2988, 331K)

I used to pair my hd600 with the crack and it was euphoric