/TPG/ Thinkpad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1535155554263.jpg (2660x4182, 1.15M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Atheros-AR9380-AR5BHB112-Half-Size-Minipci-express-Mini-Card-450Mbps-802-11N-ABG/253817904285?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

not this faggot again

What's your problem?

Just stay on topic.

No reason to be offensive to me.

I'm your friend.

At least I know what gender I am.

Attached: FRED.jpg (412x412, 34K)

Which Thinkpads have ECC memory?
Can I upgrade them easily with ECC?

Attached: flaty.jpg (559x559, 19K)

Why does American money look like a dog threw up on paper?

Please post your stack of hunnits

I would like to compare our currency

Please include your thinkpad in the image

best thinkpad for $700?

Does anyone here run Linux with a Nvidia dGPU? Is it as bad as people say with battery life if I actually want to use the dGPU rather than turn it off completely?

Win10 feels so wrong, borderline adware with microsoft Edge, bloatware (candy crush??) including stuff I don't need but can't even uninstall.

T440p maxed out

W541 maxed out

T440s maxed out

Get a thinkpad without a dgpu.

Nobody said getting a dgpu was a good idea

We actively advise against it

is the e series or a series lenovo AMD processor better?

The A series is:
AMD Pro A12-9800B Processor (2MB, up to 3.60Ghz)

The E series is:
AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U quad-core (2.00GHz, up to 3.60GHz Max Boost, 4MB Cache)

if you don't need it right away, wait a couple years or so for the 8th gen intel to get cheap as fuck. The ULV processors are "ULV" in name, the i7 goes up to 44 watts, no ultrabook can even handle that so it gets throttled. Probably recommended to limit the TDP yourself down to 25W or something.

I don't know much about thinkpads but I'm thinking about getting the P52. how upgradable will it be in the future as the hardware inevitably gets dated? can I easily replace the RAM, hard drive, graphics card, keyboard, etc. down the line? will I be using this laptop in 10 years?

how does one max out a chinkpad?

E series is not welcome here.

Read the OP.

A series is garbage as well, poor wireless chip, worse battery life, less driver support in Linux. Worse single core performance.

Both seem like "deals" because they aren't real Thinkpads.

My x220 tablet has a loose clit
turns out there is a small plasitc adapter keeping it inside and it's so worn down that it will pull away with my finger when i'm using it

Is anywhere selling these? I can't find them on ebay and i'm real close to just gluing it back in there.
Save me Jow Forumsentoomen

Attached: 800x600_02.jpg (800x600, 207K)

Read the threads.

A t440p can be purchased for $200 but can easily have another $200-$300 in uogrades.

Convince me not to spend 700 americans on a W541.
It even has a K2100, 3k IPS screen and 32 GB RAM.

if you're going to get an A-series, wait for the A485. Realtek wifi card but you can probably swap it out unless Lenovo returns the whitelist on WLAN cards (would be a dick move considering none of the Intel thinkpads have it anymore).

I would have seriously considered one if it wasn't restricted to the shitty FHD screen with ~50% gamut (i'm coming from a T530 with 95% gamut so fuck that bullshit).

Just purchased a used X230 on ebay, where's the best place to get a spare battery when this one's inevitably doesn't hold a charge for long.

Also, do normal non-tablet X230s have a touch screen as well? I can't find a straight answer googling it.

any thinkpad with a xeon processor

>do normal non-tablet X230s have a touch screen as well?
nope

graphics card is soldered, also eGPUs are beocming more and more widespread so don't worry bout it, especially with Intel dropping royalties on TB3. Intel 8th gen was also a huge spike in performance.

I'd have loved to get a P52 instead of the T480s if portability wasn't my priority. Got the T480s instead, but frankly I should have just gotten a Chromebook for school.

I'd still be using my T530 in 10 years

Is the T580 bridge battery a meme or is it good? And can you do that on the T480?

thanks m8s, good to know

>his thinkpad doesn't have coreboot installed
How can you live without it?

Attached: coreboot_tint.jpg (3264x2448, 1.75M)

Mostly because I'm a little strapped for time with work and other projects. I also really like my Windows 7 install and I'm afraid I'll fuck the partition trying to set up the SeaBIOS payload or that Coreboot little bugs are going to destabilize my system in annoying ways. Maybe I'll try it on my spare T420 and install CloverOS for maximum meme machine means.

Attached: 1513706229770.png (540x750, 421K)

>Is the T580 bridge battery a meme or is it good?
i had the bridge on my t440s and got 8hrs average from the internal and the 9 cell combined.

wut that's awful

>/TPG/

Attached: dude stop.jpg (280x373, 17K)

>T440
You can get either of those "maxed out" for probably less than $400

That's more money than I make in 6 months

I don't own a raspberry pi and that's the only way to coreboot an X220 as far as I'm aware.

So the X1C I have randomly stopped outputting a display and now it throws 2 beep codes; lelnovo says its a generic board or ram failure. Annoyingly this happened about a month after cleaning it up, and replacing the screen and keyboard.

Whats the best 14" thinkpad under $400?

Attached: 3001009.jpg (544x416, 24K)

Imagine had you bought an Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display and AppleCare instead.

where can i get that for 90$?

i didnt buy it new

How do I max out my T400? Minus the CPU, I don't think even the highest core 2 duo will compete with a T430

Libreboot the BIOS, get an Atheros AR9380, and 8GB RAM. Also get an SSD if you don't already.

It's ok, I like you, your consistent reddit spacing is endearing

Attached: 1535054123332.png (500x559, 233K)

Is this what I'm looking for?
ebay.com/itm/Atheros-AR9380-AR5BHB112-Half-Size-Minipci-express-Mini-Card-450Mbps-802-11N-ABG/253817904285?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

maxed out would mean quad core i7 which can run at about $300 by itself.

X9100 CPU, Intel 7260 AC wireless card, 9-cell battery, 8GB RAM, 1440x900 screen with LED backlight and of course SSD.

Yes but I would suggest the full size version which has a better heatsink

How does one acquire a good 9cell for an x230 aside from forking $200 over to lenovo?

>W541 maxed out
tfw $300 w541

Attached: 2018-08-08 19.25.47-min.jpg (4656x3492, 1.45M)

Newegg has a Lenovo one for $68

Do you think we're in a new Thinkpad golden age?

Forgot pic. Damn sexy T480s

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-t480s-hero.png?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8NjYwMTd8aW1hZ2UvcG5nfGhlMS9oMGUvOTYxMT (725x515, 64K)

Not until next gen where they fix the major throttle issues.

No point in having a CPU in there that can't be utilized fully.

You should have gotten a t470s and saved the money, 0 performance difference.

Or a t440s :)

>intel shit
no

You must be mentally deficient to think 2 cores vs 4 cores is "0 performance difference", but then again you're an attention whore so no wonder you're fucking retarded.

Suggest a better alternative than Intel.

Pajeet amd chips don't count, they fail in single core performance, which is all that matters on a laptop.

Not to mention the poor battery life on the a485 and a285

>replying to the mentally disabled reddit-kun

It can't run all 4 cores at maximum voltage

It overheats and throttles

You paid for something that doesn't work correctly

Don't cry about it here

Just don't pretend you didn't get chinked.

T480s NEEDS a better cooling solution

The t490s will hopefully be the answer to this.

I can't wait for a thinkpad that's TRULY quad core.

I can beat any older thinkpad with my T480s in virtually any benchmark or productivity task, it throttles to 3.3ghz during sustained 1 hour maximum load, the maximum boost clock of 3.7ghz can only be sustained during short bursts which is what most users will find during most normal usage during which the cpu basically never throttles.
If you think T490s will resolve this you are delusional and it's likely to be even worse, intel's next gen cpus are going to have even higher boost clock with i7 targeting 4.6ghz boost clock. Intel has no miracles up their sleeves, it's just another slightly improved 14nm+ chip and lenovo is incredibly unlikely to make a thicker laptop to accomodate appropriate cooling, just look at the P1.

Power consumption on arch v w7???

Forgot to mention, I'm in Canada.
Sadly that listing isn't there here.
Thanks, though

Nah the t490s will be the largest leap in performance we've seen.

They just need a better designed heatsink.

You overpaid big time.

-sent from my t440s

Attached: 20180825_181608.jpg (5312x2988, 1.9M)

currently installing windows so I can flash my BIOS so lelno can't stop me using my replacement wireless card.

laptops make me want to kill myself

Just use wine

i don't want to risk it considering its a bios update

Id rather brick my bios than use Windows

that's pretty autistic user. You're fitting in well here I guess

Attached: 1513516179918.jpg (898x886, 42K)

Haha yeah I was kidding to be honest

I dual boot fedora 28 and w10 on my t440s

Was trolling about using wine too, idk if that would even work.

Attached: IMG_20180812_235036_100.jpg (320x399, 29K)

couldn't you just replace the whole keyboard?

it's annoying as fuck that you can't flash the bios from linux, yeah. the modded bios is nice tho.

>xeon processor
thanks

So, I just got a model T420. Upon starting it up and choosing the OS, it keeps looping through the boot sequence over and over. I've tried to boot from a USB, but it didn't work. Whether this is because I screwed up or some other force is at work is beyond me. Advice?

>any advice

Nah if you really can't figure out something so simple, you shouldn't be messing with the OS at all.

Go get yourself a prebuilt.

cringe

How is it cringe?

Not the thinkpad; the cash

How is $3000 in hunnits cringe?

How is the $3000 relevant to the thinkpad?

Business Laptops

Purpose of Business is to make money

Or maybe I'll be using that cash to buy some new ThinkPad toys

But my t440s is as good as it gets

well, didn't brick it so that's one thing off the list.

Did you use wine? Lmao good shit

no, ltsb. it's my university laptop so i'll probably keep it on there.

With what could i replace a T400 CMOS battery?
Can i just reuse a old HP CMOS battery?
Can i replace the battery inside the yellow plastic by just adding a new one?

Imagine trying to cope your T440s as hard as OP has. I couldn't imagine unironically paying for a T440s and then trying to totally take over /tpg/ to cope it. You've managed to surpass 9/10 ThinkPad users in /tpg/ with your Jew like cope.

Sent from my ThinkPad T430. :)))

No. The original way is to use a BeagleBone card. The RPI is a port of this method

Apparently an HP CMOS battery works too.

how do i delid my cpu to apply loquod metal? most videos are about desktop CPUs

whered you get ltsb and how did you activate be it? wanting to do the same

>be me
>go to uni surplus store
>find a flawless x220 with 9cell for $50
>whatdowehavehere.bmp
>computrace enabled
>easy fix
>get it home and boot it up
>left hand starting to get hot when encrypting filesystems in debian install
>shake it off and go to sleep
couple hours later
>wake up with burning pain
>x220 fan not working
>leg has huge burn mark
>debian install has made little progress
>i'm pissed
After install finishes
>open x220 to replace thermal paste and fan
>see a post-it
>are you kidding me
>"The university will not replace the fan, but will the laptop"
>BHkewl.flac
>Lift the heatsink to replace thermal paste
>it's wiped clean with a sharpie square drawn on heatspreader

This is why I buy my stuff online

seems like a waste of money
ideally you could replace it like the trackpoint

I also have this problem

I just upgraded from a MBP 2016 (yuck), selling to cover the costs of my new Edge E580, with Lenovo's 256GB NVMe drive, and a 500GB 850 EVO SSD, and extra 8GB of DDR4 RAM I upgraded it with for a total of 16GB, cost me less than $1400 CAD =)
Still setting up a dual boot environment, kinda sad the fingerprint doesn't work on linux right now.

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-e580-hero.png (725x515, 69K)

Read the OP

The e580 isn't a true ThinkPad

No E series laptops are allowed in /tpg/

I downloaded this torrent that comes with a US iso and a shitload of language packs, and you use that to make the ISO for your region. plenty of ISOs online anyway.

after that, use microsoft toolkit to activate it.

fuck of they are, go back to masturbating on you 10yo x200

you didn't even glance at the temperature?

They run at 90-odd degrees under load when properly pasted anyway so I'm calling bullshit on this story.

What's the difference between T520 and W520?

Attached: 1526439714523-fourchan-trash-17932473.jpg (1200x630, 201K)

Payed a pretty steep price to be denied entry to the secret club.

What dockong station for the t430?

Look up Dock Series 3 Plus With USB 3.0 on Amazon or Ebay, $20 used

Alright thanks'

What's the best wifi ac upgrade for a W520? The intel 6300 only does 120MBit/s on linux for some reason

Are all(!?) the Intel i5 processors models (every generation of them and desktop and server versions) XEON processors?
I wonder if all i5 could work with ECC RAM?